Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
Cavepaint
Earning My Ears

Not a fan of the automatic tip charging.

Just got off the Fantasy where they automatically charged the "recommended" tips to our stateroom for the servers and stateroom host. When did this start? While we are very good tippers I REALLY didn't like the liberty taken to just charge us automatically. That's not so much a tip as a service charge. Yes it can be changed but it's a hassle.

Do other cruise lines do this?
Cavepaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
FriendOfFanatic
Waiting for vacation

I had it first on our Magic 2011 September cruise. There were rumors that the Magic had some problems with non-tipping on the 2011 Med cruises.
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

It is not a hassle to change. I just did changes on the Wonder and it took about 10 minutes. You do NOT have to do it at embarkation. You can do it at any time during the cruise. And yes if you choose to, you can remove the charge entirely and pay no tips, or pay them all yourself in cash, so there really isn't anything all that different going on here.

Even if you do not use the main dining rooms for dinner, the same servers work the buffets and counter services. It is NOT just a tip for dining room service.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #4
CrusingFamily4
Mouseketeer

Wonderful- thanks TDC
CrusingFamily4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
Cari2109
Mouseketeer

I took a Carnival cruise a few years ago and that is how they handled their tips.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
princess aleya
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cari2109 View Post
I took a Carnival cruise a few years ago and that is how they handled their tips.
Yes it was like this on our carnival cruise also. You do have the option of removing them if you want.

princess aleya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:21 PM   #7
kcashner
DIS Veteran

You can go to GS and adjust your tips up or down....or you can increase tips by adding cash to the envelope along with the tip coupon. It is totally up to you. If you do nothing, the suggested tip will be added to your onboard account. No, the CMs don't know if you pre-paid or if you made any adjustments until you give them the envelope on the last night.

My guess is that the CMs are happy with this policy change. Yes, it was started on the Magic in response to decreased tipping on the Med cruises, but it was continued after the Magic returned to the US and later expanded to all ships.

This is no different than what we experienced on other lines.

And the math above is correct. $12 per day X 7 days = $84 per guest. For 2 people, that's $168

Last edited by kcashner; 11-01-2012 at 10:28 PM.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
NWOhioAngela
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavepaint View Post

Do other cruise lines do this?
a majority do
NWOhioAngela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #9
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

The change was made to the Fantasy and the Wonder sometime the middle to the end of April. The Magic has been doing it since summer 2011. Not sure if the Dream is doing this or not.

Did you receive a paper at check in letting you know about the auto-charge to your account?

Many cruise lines do this.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
sambycat
DIS Veteran

You can go to guest services upon boarding and change it. I think it's one less thing and hopefully it will help some forgetful guests to remember to tip

That said, I really wish they would just pay the CMs and just make tipping like in a regular hotel situation.

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #11
lookitsaplane
Proud owner of Disney Stock! :D

Is AT really that bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambycat View Post
That said, I really wish they would just pay the CMs and just make tipping like in a regular hotel situation.
If you think about it, if the CM's were paid the same amount of money their tips cover, the price of the cruise would just go up and end up being the same amount. If you just add it to your cruise cost when you book, it will make things easier. I get why people don't like the system, but the price wouldn't be that much different if they did not have auto tipping.

DISNEY FANTASY 6/2/12
lookitsaplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #12
oceangirl
Mouseketeer

Just to weigh in, I don't mind the new policy (we have always tipped at least the minimum), but I'm bothered by the necessity to do it in the first place. If the only "salary" the CMs receive is tips (which seems ridiculous), and those tips are now automatic, then that amount should be included up front as part of the cruise fare, and Disney should compensate the servers/CMs with a base salary just like you would with servers in a restaurant. Then if people are really impressed with the service, they can tip voluntarily on top of that. A tip should be an added incentive for excellent service; it should not be the only income of the person providing the service....IMHO.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:04 PM   #13
Cavepaint
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWOhioAngela View Post
a majority do
I guess things have changed since my last cruise. Well, I still don't like it
Cavepaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #14
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I changed some of the tips on the Hawaii cruise. It was not a hassle. And it is not an unexplained charge. There is a sheet left in the stateroom that says it is being done. I suppose that maybe some folks won't read the papers left in the staterooms but what more can they do? I am sure that they are doing it now because a majority of cruise lines assess tips this way, and it helps keep the crew from getting stiffed entirely. I know I've seen a lot of posters who don't think they ought to tip for an infant.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #15
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
but what more can they do?
They could not put charges on my account that I have not authorized. They could not use their standard "for my convenience" excuse that is not true.

This is caused by inconsiderate guests who stiff the servers. I understand. But I still do not appreciate receiving a charge I did not authorize and being given a reason that is not true.
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: