Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Sea World / Discovery Cove
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
Pluto914
Earning My Ears

Question Renting a Cabana @ Discovery Cove

Is it worth renting a Cabana at Discovery cove. We are a party of 7 and we are going at the end of August. Any suggestions or advise on the Cabanas?
Old 05-09-2012, 04:22 AM   #2
floridianer
Mouseketeer

As far as I know the cabana is 179$... Plus tax

A special occasion package (includes the cabana) is 229$ and has a lot of little perks (photo frame, personalized buoy brought by a dolphin and so on)

I like the little shaded areas separated from the rest of the park. We won´t spend a whole lot of time there but at least for one hour it is nice!
Oh, you´ve got an own stuffed fridge there too!
floridianer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2012, 06:30 AM   #3
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

We have a cabana rented for our DC day in August. We wanted somewhere to escape the sun (or get out of the rain, if that's the case) so for us, its worth the extra expense. We are not doing the dolphin swim this trip so it will be a nice place to kick back and enjoy an afternoon siesta .

A couple of things you might want to know....

There are only 13 cabanas in the park. For a cabana rental only (as a stand alone and not wthin one of their "packages"), you can't reserve until 3 weeks in advance of your reservation date. Just to give you a point of reference, we are not going until August 29th, and when we booked our cabana two weeks ago (as part of a package) half of the cabanas are already reserved. And at that point, it was only April.

If you want to guarantee your cabana now, then you must reserve it within one of their packages. Like the PP said, the cheapest option is the premium package where you get the cabana rental, plus an assortment of extras (underwater camera, t-shirt, frame or stuffed toy, a themed buoy delivered to you during your swim, etc.) AND a discount on the ultimate photo package. If you are planning on getting the large photo package anyway, this is a better way to go. PLUS you get all the extras for your family to enjoy. This package can be reserved anytime (you are not restricted to waiting until 3 weeks out) based on availability,

I think you will want to check on the max occupancy of the cabanas, though. Something seems to tell me its six. If that's the case, you might need two, which would certainly be pricey.

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! **August 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
bas71873
DIS Veteran

Anyone know what the options are for the "personalized buoy"? Curious if you can get your name on it or are there just standard sayings to pick from? I'm going to book the premium package for our trip in August later today.

US/IOA - June 2015; Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Wilderness Lodge-Girls Only - Oct, 2008
;Pop Century, First Trip to WDW - Feb 2008
bas71873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
floridianer
Mouseketeer

50 letters
floridianer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
bas71873
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridianer View Post
50 letters
Thanks. I just went with Family Vacation 2012.

So how does the "delivery" work? Do you let you know what time to be at the cabana for delivery? My DD is going to burst with excitement!

US/IOA - June 2015; Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Old 05-11-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
JimShockz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto914 View Post
Is it worth renting a Cabana at Discovery cove. We are a party of 7 and we are going at the end of August. Any suggestions or advise on the Cabanas?
We suggest that if a cabana is available to jump on it,for the florida sun can take its toll on one,so book it if you can.

-JH
Old 05-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
Fuhnuh
Mouseketeer

To answer one of OP's questions. Discovery cove is one of my favorite cabana experiences. They surround the snorkeling lagoon and offer a place to meet throughout the day. That being said, we did not rent a cabana the first time and I do not remember any negatives from that trip. We essentially spent most of our time exploring. If you are someone that really enjoys cabanas, it is a pretty good value (compared to the pricing of others). But if it doesn't work out for you, I wouldn't worry about it, DC does not seem to get overcrowded because of their sensible limitation on the number of guests. I never felt like I couldn't find a place to sit. We are a party of three though. Getting 7 loungers together may be a taller order.

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina,

Now that DD is 11, she not so hip on her dad being goofy. I get a lot of eye rolls. Sometimes I respond by acting like what she thinks a normal dad would for a while. She likes this even less.
Fuhnuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
Pluto914
Earning My Ears

Smile

I want to thank everyone for your reply. You were right mjohnson96 they will not let you book a Cabana if you have 7 people. I tried really hard too. We are now booked for 2 Cabanas and can't wait to go. Even though it is extra money, in the grand scheme of things, we are spending enough money as it is we might as well suck it up and pay for the extra Cabana to ensure we are comfortable and have a great time. Thanks Again!!
Old 05-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #10
mjplantz
Always something to plan...

Are the cabana's spread out throughout DC? Based on the park map:

http://discoverycove.com/Explore/ParkMap.aspx

It looks like all the buildings with white roofs are pretty scattered. Just worried that we would get one near the grand reef and would end up being further away from all the other key areas or is the distance not a big deal?

Us DD(18) DD(13)
mjplantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #11
bas71873
DIS Veteran

Did you guys see that now your DC ticket gets you in to BOTH Aquatica & SW. I saw it on Facebook and I also got an email this morning that said even though I have already purchased my tickets, we get to take advantage of this offer too. We hadn't intended to do SW again, but we may have to squeeze it in now. I'm also glad I've already bought & paid for our day in August because I just checked and my day has gone up $30/pp.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #12
Goofysrus
Mouseketeer

We just booked May 14th!!!!! I think we got a good AP rate but with the rest of our vacation expenses we'll skip the Cabana and see how things go.
Fortunately they're not busy that week so I hope we can find a nice shady spot.

Hope I can post pictures when I get back if I figure out how to do that.....
Thanks again everyone for all your help!
Goofysrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:14 AM   #13
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofysrus View Post
We just booked May 14th!!!!! I think we got a good AP rate but with the rest of our vacation expenses we'll skip the Cabana and see how things go.
Fortunately they're not busy that week so I hope we can find a nice shady spot.

Hope I can post pictures when I get back if I figure out how to do that.....
Thanks again everyone for all your help!
Have a great time!!!!

I am sure you will have no problem finding a shady spot to kick back and relax in. With DC limiting its daily admission to such small numbers of guests, there's always lots of beach chairs open for you to stretch out on . With or without a cabana, you will have an amazing day!

Can't wait to see you pics when you return!!!

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! **August 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: