Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #1
Doug7856
DIS Veteran

 
Doug7856's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: SSR
Posts: 1,798

Disney, Adoption and The Avengers...

I took my son to see The Avengers on Saturday. In one key scene, as the Avengers are assembled they review the evil committed by Loki. Thor confronts the rest of the Avengers because Loki is his brother. When the Avengers list the atrocities he has committed, Thor volunteers that ďLoki was adoptedĒ. It got quite a laugh from the audience, yet it implies that an adopted sibling is less family than biological children.

Children donít need to be told they are inferior or defective or less of a family member because they were adopted, especially from someone as trusted as the Walt Disney Company. There are 73.8 million children who are a part of families created through adoption. Itís odd that Disney would choose to send a message that adopted children are less part of a family than biological children, but in my opinion, thatís exactly what happens in The Avengers.

The movie was excellent and I donít regret taking my son to see it. I just thought we had moved beyond these stereotypes about adoption.

This is my point of view as the father of adopted children.

Did this scene bother anyone else?
__________________
Doug
Doug7856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
Shyvioletisme
So I have a doppleganger running around out there with a kid
 
Shyvioletisme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Earth
Posts: 1,903

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug7856 View Post
I took my son to see The Avengers on Saturday. In one key scene, as the Avengers are assembled they review the evil committed by Loki. Thor confronts the rest of the Avengers because Loki is his brother. When the Avengers list the atrocities he has committed, Thor volunteers that ďLoki was adoptedĒ. It got quite a laugh from the audience, yet it implies that an adopted sibling is less family than biological children.

Children donít need to be told they are inferior or defective or less of a family member because they were adopted, especially from someone as trusted as the Walt Disney Company. There are 73.8 million children who are a part of families created through adoption. Itís odd that Disney would choose to send a message that adopted children are less part of a family than biological children, but in my opinion, thatís exactly what happens in The Avengers.

The movie was excellent and I donít regret taking my son to see it. I just thought we had moved beyond these stereotypes about adoption.

This is my point of view as the father of adopted children.

Did this scene bother anyone else?
You're reading too much into it.
__________________
Tiffany DH Lestat

WDW: last trip:
Oct/Nov 2005 CBR for Honeymoon
FLICKR: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67045761@N00/
Shyvioletisme is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
alex9179
DIS Veteran
 
alex9179's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,282

This is a subject that rears up regularly on the adoption board I frequent. The parents are very sensitive to adoption references and there are plenty of "this sends the wrong message" opinions.

Personally, I feel that my own opinions or worries influence how I perceive a situation. Sometimes I read more into it because of my past experiences. As far as adoption, I guess I don't pay as much attention unless someone is making an effort to be insulting...which has never happened to me. I have some relatives who, I feel, see me as a long term babysitter I'm sure that's not quite what they think, though!

You have your perceptions. I'm not going to try to say you misinterpreted it since I wasn't there and haven't seen the movie yet. However, I tend to doubt people were laughing at the notion of adoption.
alex9179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,326

My son tells his sister all the time that she is adopted because he does not want to be related to her. You can definitively see the resemblance.
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
Jedana
Have to learn to budget somehow. Want the latest video game? Save up. Want a new Beyblade? save up. Want a new Dooney and Burke? Grab the credit card out of DH's wallet...
 
Jedana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 1,461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyvioletisme View Post
You're reading too much into it.
This.
It's one line in a movie.
Jedana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedana View Post
This.
It's one line in a movie.
True. But it is one line that could be like a knife to the heart to a kid who was adopted and just wanted to see a fun movie. Consideiring how many non-adults will see this movie and how many of them will have been adopted, the line has the potential to hurt many children. And sadly, it will once again, give ammo to those who want to make fun of kids who have been adopted. Why not something like, "Loki was not born Asgard," to make the same point without the old cliche of, "He was adopted."? I fear the answer is because (1) resorting to adoption as a punchline is easy and/or (2) some people fail to realize their quietly held prejudices.

Yes, I saw Thor. I was looking forward to The Avengers. This has taken a lot of the fun out of seeing it and I am relieved we are not taking DD.
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
Doug7856
DIS Veteran

 
Doug7856's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: SSR
Posts: 1,798

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMom View Post
True. But it is one line that could be like a knife to the heart to a kid who was adopted and just wanted to see a fun movie. Consideiring how many non-adults will see this movie and how many of them will have been adopted, the line has the potential to hurt many children. And sadly, it will once again, give ammo to those who want to make fun of kids who have been adopted. Why not something like, "Loki was not born Asgard," to make the same point without the old cliche of, "He was adopted."? I fear the answer is because (1) resorting to adoption as a punchline is easy and/or (2) some people fail to realize their quietly held prejudices.

Yes, I saw Thor. I was looking forward to The Avengers. This has taken a lot of the fun out of seeing it and I am relieved we are not taking DD.
Hi EMom,
I opened this thread because it really bothered me as a parent. I have expressed my thoughts to Disney, for what it's worth. We did enjoy the film immensely. My 10 year old son has been talking about it ever since we saw it.

For us, it was out of the blue and unexpected. We did discuss it and that there are members of society who hold prejudices with regard to children who have been adopted. It's just so frustrating that modern media portray the adopted child as the wayward child. Such a thin plot line, can't they do any better?

The movie is great and you will most likely enjoy it. We may even see it again.
__________________
Doug
Doug7856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #8
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place
 
LilyWDW's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Indy
Posts: 9,094

You all are still reading way too much into it in my honest opinion. The movie is PG-13... you should be able to have a discussion with your child on how the line makes sense in the context of the movie if they are old enough to see it. It DOES make sense. It was not thrown in their purely as a jab to people who have been adopted. It has a point in the movie, just like the fact Loki was adopted had a point in Thor.
__________________

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/



LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #9
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!
 
Jennasis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: The Triad, NC
Posts: 24,231

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMom View Post
True. But it is one line that could be like a knife to the heart to a kid who was adopted and just wanted to see a fun movie. Consideiring how many non-adults will see this movie and how many of them will have been adopted, the line has the potential to hurt many children. And sadly, it will once again, give ammo to those who want to make fun of kids who have been adopted. Why not something like, "Loki was not born Asgard," to make the same point without the old cliche of, "He was adopted."? I fear the answer is because (1) resorting to adoption as a punchline is easy and/or (2) some people fail to realize their quietly held prejudices.

Yes, I saw Thor. I was looking forward to The Avengers. This has taken a lot of the fun out of seeing it and I am relieved we are not taking DD.
You clearly aren't earning your living as a screenwriter.



Good thing I brought enough for everyone...

__________________
Jennasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:00 PM   #10
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts
 
snarlingcoyote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 5,641

As an adoptee, I must say, I think the line more obnoxious now that I've heard the convoluted apologetics for it.

So we have cliche #1 Adoptee isn't told he's adopted matched with melodrama cliche #2 Adoptee goes nuts when he finds out he's adopted because of cliche #3 Adoptee is a just a Bad Seed and you can't do anything about it.

Jee. I feel so much better about that line. Before I thought it was just a dumb throwaway line in a not bad summer movie. Now I'm just v. glad I've never seen Thor.
__________________
Our family:
DH Me
Our menagerie:
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #11
Adoption Father
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedana View Post
This.
It's one line in a movie.

It may be one line but it is at the heart of an outdated and perverse view of adopted children.
Adoption Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #12
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place
 
LilyWDW's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Indy
Posts: 9,094

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug7856 View Post
I took my son to see The Avengers on Saturday. In one key scene, as the Avengers are assembled they review the evil committed by Loki. Thor confronts the rest of the Avengers because Loki is his brother. When the Avengers list the atrocities he has committed, Thor volunteers that ďLoki was adoptedĒ. It got quite a laugh from the audience, yet it implies that an adopted sibling is less family than biological children.

Children donít need to be told they are inferior or defective or less of a family member because they were adopted, especially from someone as trusted as the Walt Disney Company. There are 73.8 million children who are a part of families created through adoption. Itís odd that Disney would choose to send a message that adopted children are less part of a family than biological children, but in my opinion, thatís exactly what happens in The Avengers.

The movie was excellent and I donít regret taking my son to see it. I just thought we had moved beyond these stereotypes about adoption.

This is my point of view as the father of adopted children.

Did this scene bother anyone else?
You are reading way too much into that comment.

Have you seen the Thor movie itself? If you have, then you would have a better understanding of the comment.
__________________

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/



LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #13
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!
 
Jennasis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: The Triad, NC
Posts: 24,231

Grasping at straws.

The discussion between the characters was about how dangerous the ASGARDIANS as a whole are, as evidenced by the atrocities of Loki. To which Thor defends the honor of the rest of Asgard by joking "he's adopted" meaning, Asgardians are not evil violent people.

You know that evil people can be adopted too right?
__________________
Jennasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #14
diznygirl
I have a symmetry thing
It is always important to know what team the whackjobs are playing for!
It was the wedding with a two-meatball limit
 
diznygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Celebration, FL
Posts: 10,494

There's a lot more going on to be offended about.
__________________
diznygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #15
Adoption Father
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
Grasping at straws.

The discussion between the characters was about how dangerous the ASGARDIANS as a whole are, as evidenced by the atrocities of Loki. To which Thor defends the honor of the rest of Asgard by joking "he's adopted" meaning, Asgardians are not evil violent people.

You know that evil people can be adopted too right?


You miss the point that the joke is not funny in that it degrades children because they are adopted. Why are they any less of a person? How can anyone laugh at something like that? Not grasping at straws here, just trying to point out crass and insensitive movie comments.
Adoption Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
adoption, avengers



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: