Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
tammymacb
Under da sea, under da sea, darlin' it's betta down where it's wetta take it from me!

Is anyone following the Veronica Rose story?

http://www.saveveronica.org/

The family involved live close to us, and though I don't know them personally we have several friends. The case was recently heard by the SC Supreme Court and we're hoping for a judgment to send Veronica home.

I was just curious if anyone else was following this story and what your thoughts about it were.

Last edited by tammymacb; 05-02-2012 at 07:19 AM.
tammymacb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
CathrynRose
R.I.P. Possibly Un-PC Tag, R.I.P.
Back away from the cheesecake, lady!!!
I had ponytails so tight, I couldn’t move my head
I can't stop sniffing me

I had heard nothing about this. Thanks for sharing.

So sad. Yikes.
Register to remove

Old 05-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
CathrynRose
I can't stop sniffing me

And I'd break up your Org Post. It's hard to read the way it is, making people skip it. I only clicked your link.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #4
cornflake
DIS Veteran

I'd like to see an actual news piece laying out the details of that case, because that mess reads so awfully it honestly makes me assume they're shady and lying or why wouldn't they just lay out the facts.

Most of those cases are about someone protesting or changing their minds within a legallly acceptable period and the adoptive parents refusing to relinquish the child and dragging it out and THEN years later going on about how could you rip the now years-older child away from the only home he or she has known. That is what this sounds like, so... yeah.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #5
CathrynRose
I can't stop sniffing me

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
I'd like to see an actual news piece laying out the details of that case, because that mess reads so awfully it honestly makes me assume they're shady and lying or why wouldn't they just lay out the facts.

Most of those cases are about someone protesting or changing their minds within a legallly acceptable period and the adoptive parents refusing to relinquish the child and dragging it out and THEN years later going on about how could you rip the now years-older child away from the only home he or she has known. That is what this sounds like, so... yeah.
Click the link. There's lots of news stories, as well as the FB page with links and links.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
disney4us2002
Tagless by choice!!

I work for a public agency that works with foster care and adoption and I will be shocked if Veronica's adopted family wins. Don't misunderstand that to mean I think she shouldn't be returned; I just don't think it'll turn out the way they want. I've been in this field too long and know of many heart-breaking stories.

disney4us2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #7
ClarabelleCowFan
Found Someone You Have
There's always a shortage of Barbie legs
I'm as coordinated as a drunk duck
Has never owned a guinea pig
If I see a vein I'm done!

I have been following it since it happened in my hometown of Charleston, SC. What a very sad story for little Veronica.

Here is the facebook page for those interested:

https://www.facebook.com/SaveVeronicaRose
Old 05-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #8
sookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney4us2002 View Post
I work for a public agency that works with foster care and adoption and I will be shocked if Veronica's adopted family wins. Don't misunderstand that to mean I think she shouldn't be returned; I just don't think it'll turn out the way they want. I've been in this field too long and know of many heart-breaking stories.
Me too. He is the bio dad and he can change his mind. The law is in place for a reason. At four months - he can build a much stronger bond with her. He deserves to be able to parent his daughter if he wants to.
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:10 AM   #9
dogluva
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post

I agree.
dogluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:25 AM   #10
tammymacb
Under da sea, under da sea, darlin' it's betta down where it's wetta take it from me!

Op here. I deleted the story and left the link up because I agree, it was very worthy.

For the record, I don't believe for a second that that baby should have been taken away from her family.

Her father never lived on a reservation, he didn't "belong" to the Cherokee Nation until prior to using that argument for filing his suit.

Past court cases have sided with the adoptive families over this law, and I'm hoping the SC supreme court follows. If he hadn't been 1% Indian, he would have lost custody a long time ago and Veronica would be home right now.
tammymacb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:58 AM   #11
TheSchragFamily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammymacb View Post
Op here. I deleted the story and left the link up because I agree, it was very worthy.

For the record, I don't believe for a second that that baby should have been taken away from her family.

Her father never lived on a reservation, he didn't "belong" to the Cherokee Nation until prior to using that argument for filing his suit.

Past court cases have sided with the adoptive families over this law, and I'm hoping the SC supreme court follows. If he hadn't been 1% Indian, he would have lost custody a long time ago and Veronica would be home right now.
I don't understand how this works. I have WAY more native american blood than this guy, but I fail to see how my kids could be considered part of a tribe...don't live on a reservation, not registered, no paperwork saying that, etc. Did someone in his extended family have papers and that's how they figured it out? I can't believe this guy took 13 months to decide he wanted to be a father...maybe his family pressured him to take the little girl, after all...but apparently the law is that he should have her back. Fighting that has really created a problem for the poor child. Adoption is not without risks and I can't understand how this couple thought they could prevail over the law.
TheSchragFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #12
PaulaSB12
DIS Veteran

The father said he wanted to raise the child, at that point the couple should have handed her over. As has been said that is the risk you take going for an adoption. For these who say a man needs to show care before the baby was born, what happens is he isn't told before and finds out at birth? I do feel sorry for couples who so desperately want a baby, but having a baby isn't a right and if one or both of the parents change their mind then back the child goes. Not fight and fight until the child reaches an age where it could cause problems. And they call the father selfish!
PaulaSB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:29 AM   #13
holcombe5
Earning My Ears

Saving Veronica

I have been following this situation since before Veronica was taken from her adoptive family. I'm close friends with them. However, I do consider myself an objective person and I do feel that Veronica should be able to have a relationship with all those in her families that love and care about her but as a mom, and in my heart of hearts, I know it is truly in her best interest to come home to the two people that never waivered in their love for her. When the birth father took her, he also took her from her birth mother. The adoptive family and the birth mother consider each other family. Also, it was not possible for legal reasons for them to 'just return her at 4 months'. Also, this guy didn't support the birth mom and had a past involving drugs (public records).
holcombe5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:35 AM   #14
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holcombe5 View Post
I have been following this situation since before Veronica was taken from her adoptive family. I'm close friends with them. However, I do consider myself an objective person and I do feel that Veronica should be able to have a relationship with all those in her families that love and care about her but as a mom, and in my heart of hearts, I know it is truly in her best interest to come home to the two people that never waivered in their love for her. When the birth father took her, he also took her from her birth mother. The adoptive family and the birth mother consider each other family. Also, it was not possible for legal reasons for them to 'just return her at 4 months'. Also, this guy didn't support the birth mom and had a past involving drugs (public records).
Sorry, I'm not willing to skewer the guy based on terribly biased info, which is all I've seen.

You aren't objective, since you're friends with the parents.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #15
holcombe5
Earning My Ears

Well, I know what I've seen with my own eyes and I know that my parents raised me to know the difference between right and wrong.
holcombe5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: