Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
Caitriona
Mouseketeer

Cinderella's Royal Table NIGHTMARE!

We had a late breakfast ADR for CRT last week celebrating my daughter's Birthday. I booked using the Dining Plan, but was paying for it with cash (gift card)

When we got to the podium, I made sure that they had the special dessert that I pre-ordered for my daughter's Birthday (I ordered her a chocolate slipper) and I was really looking forward to my daughter's reaction when it was brought to the table, since it was her actual Birthday.

Initially, I was a bit disappointed when the fruit that they brought to our table consisted of 3 single strawberries. No big deal, I thought, they must have recently changed it. I thought they brought out a bowl of fruit, but I didn't let myself dwell on it.

Then the real disappointment began...

We were also there with our 1 & 3 year old boys. I thought that kids under 3 were given a plate of french toast sticks and offered a drink. The table next to us had a similarly aged child, who was given his own drink and some food, and when I asked for some milk for our 1-year old, I was instead given a tiny pitcher of milk for my coffee.

It turned out that my 3-year old didn't have much of an appetite (he only ate 1 strawberry and drank orange juice), so I didn't let myself get too upset about my child being ignored and I gave some of my 3-year old's food to my hungry 1-year old.

Then at the end of our meal there was also a table near us where a little girl was celebrating her Birthday, and they brought a cake out to her and sang etc. I then started to wonder where the chocolate slipper was. It wasn't until our server brought out a plastic bag for our photos with Cinderella, so that we could take them home, so I had to ask the server where the dessert was that I pre-ordered. He had no idea what I was talking about... and then of course my daughter over-heard me talking to him about the chocolate slipper that I ordered for her Birthday. Surprise was ruined right there!!

He then did bring it out and she loved it.... and then boom! My 3-year old started to throw up all over the table and floor! And because were were seated opposite the kids (so that they could better meet the princesses) we couldn't get to him quickly enough.

We didn't know what to do, but all we knew was that we had to clean both him and the mess up. My husband rushed to tell someone, and the man just looked at him and shrugged his shoulders. He didn't care.

So we just figured that we have a ton of baby wipes with us, to just use them. My boy threw up a lot though!! So I gave my husband the gift card, left him to clean up the mess as best he could, and took my boy to the restroom to change his clothes and to clean him up.

When I met up with my husband again I looked at the receipt and thought we were charged much more than we were meant to be charged. My husband then told me that he left a $10 tip. I was like "What??" I explained to him that 18% gratuity was already part of the bill. He then said that he just felt bad that our boy ended up getting sick. I kind of agreed with them then...

But later on I started to feel a bit bad and think that I should have complained. I still feel upset about it. From my 1-year old not being acknowledged when other 1-year olds around us were being given something to eat, the issues with them forgetting about my daughter's Birthday dessert and then the total "I don't care" attitude about my son being sick all over the place, which left us feeling helpless.

The princesses were great, but I will never go back there!
Caitriona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
RoyalMom
Mouseketeer

Oh, Horrors! Sorry you had such an awful time. We did CRT for breakfast a few years ago and it was wonderful. The second time we went, it seemed a lot less magical (chintzy wands, a forgotten star for my youngest, less fruit/food in general). We are still going to try for a lunch one in Dec. but sadly, we don't expect it to feel like the first time.

DH Me DD8 DD6 DS3
RoyalMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitriona View Post
We had a late breakfast ADR for CRT last week celebrating my daughter's Birthday. I booked using the Dining Plan, but was paying for it with cash (gift card)

When we got to the podium, I made sure that they had the special dessert that I pre-ordered for my daughter's Birthday (I ordered her a chocolate slipper) and I was really looking forward to my daughter's reaction when it was brought to the table, since it was her actual Birthday.

Initially, I was a bit disappointed when the fruit that they brought to our table consisted of 3 single strawberries. No big deal, I thought, they must have recently changed it. I thought they brought out a bowl of fruit, but I didn't let myself dwell on it.

Then the real disappointment began...

We were also there with our 1 & 3 year old boys. I thought that kids under 3 were given a plate of french toast sticks and offered a drink. The table next to us had a similarly aged child, who was given his own drink and some food, and when I asked for some milk for our 1-year old, I was instead given a tiny pitcher of milk for my coffee.

It turned out that my 3-year old didn't have much of an appetite (he only ate 1 strawberry and drank orange juice), so I didn't let myself get too upset about my child being ignored and I gave some of my 3-year old's food to my hungry 1-year old.

Then at the end of our meal there was also a table near us where a little girl was celebrating her Birthday, and they brought a cake out to her and sang etc. I then started to wonder where the chocolate slipper was. It wasn't until our server brought out a plastic bag for our photos with Cinderella, so that we could take them home, so I had to ask the server where the dessert was that I pre-ordered. He had no idea what I was talking about... and then of course my daughter over-heard me talking to him about the chocolate slipper that I ordered for her Birthday. Surprise was ruined right there!!

He then did bring it out and she loved it.... and then boom! My 3-year old started to throw up all over the table and floor! And because were were seated opposite the kids (so that they could better meet the princesses) we couldn't get to him quickly enough.

We didn't know what to do, but all we knew was that we had to clean both him and the mess up. My husband rushed to tell someone, and the man just looked at him and shrugged his shoulders. He didn't care.

So we just figured that we have a ton of baby wipes with us, to just use them. My boy threw up a lot though!! So I gave my husband the gift card, left him to clean up the mess as best he could, and took my boy to the restroom to change his clothes and to clean him up.

When I met up with my husband again I looked at the receipt and thought we were charged much more than we were meant to be charged. My husband then told me that he left a $10 tip. I was like "What??" I explained to him that 18% gratuity was already part of the bill. He then said that he just felt bad that our boy ended up getting sick. I kind of agreed with them then...

But later on I started to feel a bit bad and think that I should have complained. I still feel upset about it. From my 1-year old not being acknowledged when other 1-year olds around us were being given something to eat, the issues with them forgetting about my daughter's Birthday dessert and then the total "I don't care" attitude about my son being sick all over the place, which left us feeling helpless.

The princesses were great, but I will never go back there!
Sorry you had a bad time. One question, though... did you actually ASK for food for your little one? Assuming they would give you a plate of food like another table had is probably a bad idea. It is possible that they ordered that food without you hearing them do so. Sometimes you have to actually speak up instead of just waiting for something to happen. I hope your little one was feeling better for the rest of your trip. Nothing worse than a sick kid.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

You had a bad meal but I don't see what you have to complain about. It wasn't as if they made you son sick.

OK they missed the slipper but that does happen. You have no idea how the other children received food, perhaps their parent ordered for them. I think you need to chalk this one up to experience and move on.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
divawife
DIS Veteran

It does sound like a nightmare! I hope your daughter enjoyed her birthday anyway.
divawife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

If you are not paying for a plated meal for the one year old, do they bring one anyway? I thought the little ones just shared unless you ordered and paid for them. maybe that's what the other table did, as I can't imagine they were served for free and you were not.

Sorry about your son getting sick, I bet it happens dozens of times a day in the parks. My nephew had an "issue" in the parking lot on the way in one day too.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
Caitriona
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the responses. I was told that kids under the age of 3 eat at CRT for free and I read so many dining reviews where the kids were given a free plate of food. Could someone who has been to CRT with an under 3 year old please chime in and let me know if you had to ask. Since I've read so many reviews where people were actually surprised that their kids were given food for free, I assumed that it's not something you need to ask for

Our server took our order for the 2 adults, since we had a choice of a few pre-plated meals, and then he disappeared and brought everyone's food. Wouldn't he have asked us if our child would like something to eat? The children's menu is pre-fixed so it didn't occur to me at the time. By the time he came around again, I had already been sharing my food with my 1-year old so I just asked if he could be brought some milk. Instead, I was brought a tiny pitcher of milk for my coffee. If milk was an extra charge, I would have happily paid it, and I DID ask.

We did survive the meal and I would have never thought of complaining about the plate of food for my child or the issue with forgetting to bring out my daughter's chocolate slipper. My biggest issue was when my child began to throw up and when the guy just shrugged his shoulders in an "I don't care" sort of way. They SHOULD care, because they would be expecting more guests and we wanted to make them aware of the situation. I felt sorry for the people that would be sitting at our table after us
Caitriona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #8
DW2010
DIS Veteran

It might just be me but I definitely wouldn't think a waiter would ask you if you want to order a meal for your 1 year old. I thought most parents shared with their child that is that young. I know that I never ordered DD a meal at a restaurant when she was that young.

I can understand the slipper being forgotten as putting a damper on your meal but the rest of it just sounds like bad luck. Next time, I would definitely speak up.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #9
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitriona View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I was told that kids under the age of 3 eat at CRT for free and I read so many dining reviews where the kids were given a free plate of food. Could someone who has been to CRT with an under 3 year old please chime in and let me know if you had to ask. Since I've read so many reviews where people were actually surprised that their kids were given food for free, I assumed that it's not something you need to ask for

Our server took our order for the 2 adults, since we had a choice of a few pre-plated meals, and then he disappeared and brought everyone's food. Wouldn't he have asked us if our child would like something to eat? The children's menu is pre-fixed so it didn't occur to me at the time. By the time he came around again, I had already been sharing my food with my 1-year old so I just asked if he could be brought some milk. Instead, I was brought a tiny pitcher of milk for my coffee. If milk was an extra charge, I would have happily paid it, and I DID ask.

We did survive the meal and I would have never thought of complaining about the plate of food for my child or the issue with forgetting to bring out my daughter's chocolate slipper. My biggest issue was when my child began to throw up and when the guy just shrugged his shoulders in an "I don't care" sort of way. They SHOULD care, because they would be expecting more guests and we wanted to make them aware of the situation. I felt sorry for the people that would be sitting at our table after us
Your 1 yo is NOT entitled to free food. Disney very clearly says 0 - 3 yo can eat off of an adult plate. If you expected food for your little one you were misled. Maybe it happens for some, but you should NOT expect it.
What did you expect to happen when your 3 yo vomited?
Old 04-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #10
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

How did you ask for the milk? Did you say "Can we have some millk," maybe the server assumed it was for the tea. As for not asking for the child's food, sometimes it is assumed the child will eat from the parent's plate. In fact you did have the child eating from your plate when something wasn't brought automatically. I see you felt put out by having to ask, but I don't see what was wrong with asking. DIS reviews are not always indicative of what happens for EVERY guest in EVERY situation. Maybe the guests at the other tables did ask.

Taking the server aside away from the table (granted, maybe the adults didn't want to get up from the table with so many small kids there) and asking about the slipper would have kept from ruining the suprise.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #11
LittleStinkerbelle
DIS Veteran

Sorry your little one got sick - that's the pits no matter where you are but especially a special (and pricey!) meal like CRT. As for the food for your 1 y/o, I have heard about the small plate as well. Maybe your server had trouble judging ages and wasn't sure if your DS was old enough for solids or maybe they just dropped the ball.

Next up: Disneyland, Spring 2015!

DFTVR - Memories Collection, October 2010 at Conch Key Marina
LittleStinkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:49 PM   #12
Abharmagic
DIS Veteran

We have eaten twice at CRT with a child under age 3 and one over age 3. Both times my child under age 3 got served food. I cannot remember if I was asked, or if they just brought it. If you wanted food for him just ask. Ask for a 2nd plate for yourself if they say no-- I believe it's "all you care to eat" there, and really how much does an under 3 year old eat.

As far as the vomiting... been there too. My son had two "incidents" on our last trip. One was at Crystal Palace, and no CM's did anything until I went up to the podium and requested help-- then we were descended upon by a cleaning crew. The other incident was at Fantasmic- I guess it overwhelmed my then 2.5 year old and he projectile vomited all over the people in front of us. I was soooo embarrassed. My mom (who was with us) ran and got a CM who was so wonderful to us and everyone around us. We were also descended upon by a cleaning crew. then the CM took all the *affected* people out to a shop and comped us all shirts and "stuff" so that we didn't have to walk around, ride home in mess covered clothing. Sooooo nice! She went way above and beyond and really did make a very unmagical moment a bit more magical.

Sorry you had a bad experience. I am a believer that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. if you are not getting helped and need help-- ask, ask, and ask again until you get some help.
April 2013
Next Trip- Labor Day 2014- SeaWorld- Aquatica- Legoland- MNSSHP- Can't wait!
Abharmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #13
MolonLabe
DTOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abharmagic View Post
I guess it overwhelmed my then 2.5 year old and he projectile vomited all over the people in front of us. I was soooo embarrassed. My mom (who was with us) ran and got a CM who was so wonderful to us and everyone around us. We were also descended upon by a cleaning crew. then the CM took all the *affected* people out to a shop and comped us all shirts and "stuff" so that we didn't have to walk around, ride home in mess covered clothing. Sooooo nice! She went way above and beyond and really did make a very unmagical moment a bit more magical.
OMG

Did you offer anything to the people who were... 'affected'? How did they handle it?

We;ve been blessed with all 3 of our daughters, what puking episodes there were, were rarely in public and well contained.

I'd be hard pressed to keep it together if I and my family were projectile vomited on by a 2.5 year old. Vomit is the one thing I simply cannot stand. It's the smell.

I know why wife would have most likely lost it in such a situation.

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Nov 2012 Contemporary for 7 days and MVMCP
Sept 2013 Contemporary for 8 days and MNSSHP
May 2014 cancelled due to FP+ debacle
and dozens of off site trip stays.
MolonLabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #14
Abharmagic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolonLabe View Post
OMG

Did you offer anything to the people who were... 'affected'? How did they handle it?

We;ve been blessed with all 3 of our daughters, what puking episodes there were, were rarely in public and well contained.

I'd be hard pressed to keep it together if I and my family were projectile vomited on by a 2.5 year old. Vomit is the one thing I simply cannot stand. It's the smell.

Yes- to answer this response. We apologized profusely to the people in front of us and the CM bought ALL affected people clothing. WDW staff was very accommodating. I don't know what I would have done if someone "lost it" on me or my kid b/c of an unfortunate incident where my then 2.5 year old son gave no more warning than saying, "I feel sick," and then immediatley vomiting as he said the words. No forewarning at all. There really wasn't anything I or anyone else could have done to prevent it or make it up to the people in front of us other than get help and get it cleaned up.

Anyone with kids, especially toddlers, knows sometimes "stuff happens." I was embarrassed, humiliated, apologetic, and we ran him the heck out of there and up to the bathroom and to get a CM as fast as we could-- yes. Wasn't much more I could have done. One time my brother (who was a teen at the time) was vomited on by a kid on an airplane-- not a kid he knew. The kid leaned over the seat and vomited on him. Was it gross, yes, was there not much that could be done other than apologize and have the airline staff clean it up, yes. Not sure much else can be done, as Forrest Gump says- **** happens! What else was I to do- start handing them $100 bills?

The CM's were wonderful, as I said before. I am not sure what, other than new comped clothes, the affected guests also received. We were offered VIP seats to the next evenings Fantasmic performance (which we declined), I am guessing the affected guests were offered the same, if not more than we were. Who knows the other guests could have gotten FP's and free meals, etc. etc. etc. I was just grateful no one "lost it" on us for something we had no way to anticipate or predict would happen.
April 2013
Next Trip- Labor Day 2014- SeaWorld- Aquatica- Legoland- MNSSHP- Can't wait!
Abharmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #15
JoshAndEvsMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolonLabe View Post
OMG

When you say ”lost it” do you mean get angry, cursing & shouting kind of lost it? Or ”lost it” like she vomits at the sight of vomit lost it?

If you mean the latter, i completely understand. My SIL works in an OR and deals with blood and guts all day long but she cant ”do” vomit. Just the sound of someone throwing up will send her rushing to the bathroom herself.
How DH Saved Mother's Day with a SURPRISE Trip to WDW! 2012 July PTR
JoshAndEvsMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: