Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 07:02 AM   #1
Minnie Sue Oz
DIS Veteran

Presenting - Pumpkin Planning Project.........A PTR Production!!!

Well hello there all and welcome to the first ( and certainly the first of many! ) instalment of the Pumpkin Planning Project!

Now, just what is the Pumpkin Planning Project I hear you ask

Well, you see, my DD and I are have always wanted to go to Disneyland at Halloween time.................and when do you see pumpkins at Disneyland other than Halloween???!!!

We are super excited about this trip, so let me start by introducing us!

Me - Sue 44 ( but I have the Peter Pan syndrome and I refuse to grow up! )
DD - Laura - will be 15 by the time we jet out!

Here we are in our happiest place on earth on our last trip!!!

I am a Disney nut ( understatement! ) and I am happy to say I have passed my love of all things Disney onto the darling DD.
My thing is Minnie and The Nightmare Before Christmas. DD is THE biggest Lion King fan you will ever come across and she adores all things Pirtaes and of course miss Minnie Mouse! She has a very special Minnie who accompanied us on our last trip and will be making the journey again ( if she is a good mouse!!! )

We are all set and ready to go...........flying from Sydney Australia on the October 24th and landing in LA on the 24th of October before we even left Gotta love the extra time at the beginning of the trip!
Our first 12 nights will be spent at the wonderful Howard Johnson hotel which I secured for just $59.00, yes just $59.00 per night! Gotta love having an annual pass - more on that later!
The remaining 4 nights will be spent at the Carousel Inn and Suites. I actually got a very good package deal with airfares tht included 4 nights at the Carousel so just popped it in at the end of the trip! Haven't stayed here before so any comments would be appreciated!

Have a few things planned...........definitely doing Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party and hope to get tickets for the actual night of Halloween.
It is not something that is celebrated here in he land of Oz so we are giddy with excitement about going trick or treating, especially at Disneyland!

We will also be doing the Happy Haunts tour, but this is a surprise for the DD. I will be letting you in on a few surprises along the way!

Planning on just being swept up in the magical moments and getting as much park time in as we possibly can .Our favourite rides are the Haunted mansion ( me ) and Pirates Of The Caribbean ( surprise, surprise!! ) for DD.

So, join me if you will on a magical pre trip report. If I have as much fun writing this one a I did doing our last trip report, then we are in for a fun time indeed!

All Halloween tips ( or tricks!! ) most welcome!

Take care and thanks for coming along

Sue

Last edited by Minnie Sue Oz; 04-10-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Minnie Sue Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
monkey30
Dreaming of my next vacation!

Yahoo, ready to read along with your planning as well!

September Family Trip 2012 PTR
DL Trip Report 2012
Left the Kids at home PTR 2013
monkey30 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
Minnie Sue Oz
DIS Veteran

Hi all ( I know you are out there, I can hear you breathing!!! )

Just popping in for a quick update!

I have been checking up regularly on the halloween superthread as I am keen to know when the tickets go on sale for MNSSHP.
I will be buying an annual pass for this trip as I managed to secure the AP rate for our stint at the Howard Johnson. I have a question though if someone out there can help?!
If I purchase the AP now, can I access the AP section on the Disney website and therefore use it to get my MNSSHP tickets?

We did buy AP's for our last trip but just activated them inside the park when we got there. I am wondering if I get the AP now if this will effectively "activate" the card if I use it as I don't want 6 months to expire before we get there!!!
I would like to get the tickets for the Halloween party with the AP as from what I am led to believe, AP holders get to buy tickets before they go on sale to the general public!

Phew, I think I have confused myself!!!

So, DD is thinking of dressing up for the event as Pocahontas. I am thinking this will be an easy costume to pack and as for my "costume"........ I am going to have a shirt made that reads.......

"I'm with Pocahontas"

Was very excited to read on the Disney blog earlier this week that email is now an option for making dining reservations! This will definitely save me getting up to make calls at 4am

We will be doing at least 2 of the character meals. We loved Surfs Up with Mickey and friends breakfast at the Paradie Pier and Minnie and Friends will definietly be happening!

I have also promised DD dinner at the Blue Bayou! I must admit, I am looking forward to that one myself. Still contemplating the Fantasmic priority seating again......................not too sure on that one yet. Also will be getting a World of Colour picnic deal too!

We have not done WOC before, so any tips on this will be most appreciated too as I have read so many different things about where to stand etc that any help will be grand!

Stay tuned for more and please feel free to say hi as it always nice to know I have company!!!

Until next time

Sue
Old 04-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
WAMUMOF4
DIS Veteran

that picture is gorgeous your shirts!
Old 04-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
monkey30
Dreaming of my next vacation!

I dont know about u but I am searching the boards trying to find info... my kids are already tired of talking about it!!LMAO

September Family Trip 2012 PTR
DL Trip Report 2012
Left the Kids at home PTR 2013
monkey30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:28 PM   #6
KiwiMouseGirl
Mouseketeer

Yay! I LOVED your last trip report, definately subbing to this one. How awesome is it that you will have been able to experiance Disneyland on both of the major holidays! JEALOUS! Looking foward to hearing about all of your misadventures Your fellow Diser from across the ditch, Cass (p.s, im leaving for my trip on Sunday, and would love some helpful critisism on my trip reporting when I get back )
KiwiMouseGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:14 PM   #7
Minnie Sue Oz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey30 View Post
I dont know about u but I am searching the boards trying to find info... my kids are already tired of talking about it!!LMAO
Yep, I am on every single day! DD is happy to hear all about it so no complaints so far!!!
Old 04-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #8
Minnie Sue Oz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMUMOF4 View Post
that picture is gorgeous your shirts!
Thanks for that lovely comment! I am not really one to have my pic taken often but I thought I am at Disneyland and I am going to have my pic taken......no matter what I look like!!!

My shirt is from the Disney store that we purchased whilst we in San Francisco and DD's shirt came from Jay Jays!

Old 04-23-2012, 01:01 AM   #9
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Hi Sue! Thanks for posting the PTR link - I was wondering if you had a date nailed down!
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #10
rdkeim
Mouseketeer

I loved reading your last trip report! Nothing better than Disney at Christmas time. We were in WDW this past December - it was great! We'll be in Disneyland mid-October. One day we plan to do a city bus tour. Question - is there another tour you wished you would have done that would have given you more time at each stop? Can you tell me which one you did? Right now I'm looking at the Gray Lines tour. Any help would be appreciated!
rdkeim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #11
LizfromOz
Mouseketeer

I'm here...

I just loooove reading your posts. One of these days I'll start my own PTR, but I keep changing my mind about our accommodation. Just heard about a great deal on GCH but need to work out whether it's worth more than double my original budget

In the meantime, I'll enjoy reading all about your planning. Hope you're feeling ok,

Liz
LizfromOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:12 AM   #12
Minnie Sue Oz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromOz View Post
I just loooove reading your posts. One of these days I'll start my own PTR, but I keep changing my mind about our accommodation. Just heard about a great deal on GCH but need to work out whether it's worth more than double my original budget

In the meantime, I'll enjoy reading all about your planning. Hope you're feeling ok,

Liz
Helloooooooooo

So glad you are here!!!

Oooooh, a deal at GCH, now that sounds grand ( ha ha ha!!!)

I was a bit the same re the accomodation. I desperatley want to stay on property at least once in my life, but when I can get a room at the Ho Jo for that $59.00 rate, I just can't justify the extra.

I am looking at changing the way I have our accomodation set up at the moment. I think I would rather stay at the Carousel Inn at the start of our trip rather than the last 4 nights. I have read mixed reports and I know the Ho Jo like the back of my hand, so am thinking I would rather finish the trip there as I know the laundry set up and the little shop.........it will keep me happy!!!

And, yes, feeling much better than I was a few weeks ago. I wish the damn thing would go back into remisson and give me some peace! I usually have a flare up this time of year, so nothing new!!! I will be fighting fit by October though

I actually said to DD yesterday at 2:40 ( that's our flight departure time ) " do you know where we will be in exactly 6 months..........on the plane" Not that I am excited or anything

It's going to be a fun count down to our trips!

Sue
Old 04-25-2012, 02:02 AM   #13
LizfromOz
Mouseketeer

Glad you're feeling better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie Sue Oz View Post
Helloooooooooo

So glad you are here!!!

Oooooh, a deal at GCH, now that sounds grand ( ha ha ha!!!)

I was a bit the same re the accomodation. I desperatley want to stay on property at least once in my life, but when I can get a room at the Ho Jo for that $59.00 rate, I just can't justify the extra.

I am looking at changing the way I have our accomodation set up at the moment. I think I would rather stay at the Carousel Inn at the start of our trip rather than the last 4 nights. I have read mixed reports and I know the Ho Jo like the back of my hand, so am thinking I would rather finish the trip there as I know the laundry set up and the little shop.........it will keep me happy!!!

And, yes, feeling much better than I was a few weeks ago. I wish the damn thing would go back into remisson and give me some peace! I usually have a flare up this time of year, so nothing new!!! I will be fighting fit by October though

I actually said to DD yesterday at 2:40 ( that's our flight departure time ) " do you know where we will be in exactly 6 months..........on the plane" Not that I am excited or anything

It's going to be a fun count down to our trips!

Sue
I know what you mean about hotels. I absolutely love the Hojo ( and their $59 rate!), so we've decided to split our stay. We will stay the first 6 nights onsite and the last 5 in two interconnecting rooms at the good old Hojo.

I tossed and turned all night thinking about staying at the GCH, and how much $$$ it was going to cost, and DH said " if we don't book a room there will you kick yourself once you clap eyes on the place in September?" Well, the decison was made for me wasn't it? Oh well, it's only money

My girls are super-excited - it's going to be a long countdown!
LizfromOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:57 AM   #14
Minnie Sue Oz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkeim View Post
I loved reading your last trip report! Nothing better than Disney at Christmas time. We were in WDW this past December - it was great! We'll be in Disneyland mid-October. One day we plan to do a city bus tour. Question - is there another tour you wished you would have done that would have given you more time at each stop? Can you tell me which one you did? Right now I'm looking at the Gray Lines tour. Any help would be appreciated!
Hi there

So glad you enjoyed reading the last report! It makes it all the more special when you can share your experiences with like minded folk ( especially those with an obsession for all things Disney!!! )

I am looking forward to getting to WDW one day and I am sure to see it at Christmas would be just spectacular. I bet you had a ball

In regards to the city bus tour, the one you are looking at sounds like it could be the one we did as it was a Gray Lines tour. We started out at a historical building in LA, then it was onto Hollywood. We only had an hour there and it just was not long enough. By the time we found the stars on the sidewalk that we wanted to see, we had time only to pop into the Disney Soda Fountain store and throw back a sundae
Then it was off to farmers market and The Grove for lunch. Again,only enough time to find something to eat and then it was back on the bus. We drove into Beverly Hills and down Rodeo Drive. I would have liked to have walked around, but alas, we were headed to Santa Monica so no time to stop.

Then it was off to Santa Monica pier. From memory, we had about 1 and a half hours here and it was the longest stop. Then it was into Venice beach. It was getting dark by then so we just popped out for a quick look and got back on the bus.

So, no, I would not do this tour again. If I had of known from the start that it was very go, go ,go, I never would have booked it.

Next time we will get a bus into LA and take our time to look around. DD and I desperately wanted to go to Madame Tussauds but there was no time. I also wanted to check out the theatres and there is a viewing area for the Hollywood sign that we didn't get to either.

At least we know for next time!

We are tossing up whether or not to venture into LA on the upcomimg trip. Just something we may throw in!!!

Feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to help out
Old 04-25-2012, 12:41 AM   #15
Minnie Sue Oz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Hi Sue! Thanks for posting the PTR link - I was wondering if you had a date nailed down!
Hi Tammie!

So glad you found me! I really can't wait for this trip.I didn't think I would be so excited, but it's all I talk about! Lucky I have the Disboards though otherwise I would drive my poor hubby crazy!!!

It's going to be fun to count down with everyone

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: