Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #1
alyssaswish
Mouseketeer

Alyssa's Wish - Princesses, Minnie Mouse, and Pink!!!.....Nov 10-18

I have been stalking the DIS for a couple of months since we found out Alyssa will be receiving a wish from MAW. My name is Amy and I been with my husband Johnson for 18 years, married for 8. We are middle school sweethearts with two children, Chase 5 and Alyssa 2(wish child). I have been wanting to take the kids to Disney for the past 2 years but it kept being put off until the next year because of the cost. I went to Disney when I was 8 or 9 and remember riding Space Mountain and the Haunted Mansion. I loved it!!! I was so excited when we decided to plan a trip for 2012. But other things kept us from going this time.

Me and DH in Banff, Canada on DH work incentive trip

In the fall of 2011, Alyssa started having some leg pain and running fevers. So we decided to take her to the pediatrician but was told it was just a virus. A month later the symptoms returned and we made another trip to the pediatrician who did blood work this time. It came back showing severe anemia and we were referred to NC Children's Hem/Onc Clinic the next day for more blood work and tests. A few days later Alyssa developed MRSA, and we were admitted to the hospital. After 7 days in the hospital with multiple IVs, Xrays, ultrasounds, PICC line, MRI and 2 bone marrow biopsies Alyssa was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL) in Oct 2011. She began treatment 2 days later and we were finally home after 14 days in the hospital. She is in remission now but we continue get treatments every 10 days which will go to once a month in June and continue until December 2013. She is such a trooper and feels great most of the time!!!

Our oncologist suggested we apply for MAW at one of our visits. The very next day I decided I would just inquire about it because I had felt a little guilty for signing her up when there were so many other children with far worse diseases. Within an hour MAW called me to find out more information and they sent the paperwork off to our oncologist to see if Alyssa would qualify. By lunch that day, MAW called back and said everything was completed and Alyssa qualifies. WOW! That was fast! We are now waiting to meet our wish granters Abby and Elizabeth on Monday. Alyssa loves pink, princesses, and minnie mouse so Disney is the obvious choice!

Here is the sassy princess

and with her brother

Chase at egg hunt

1st pony ride

Hunting for eggs

Last edited by alyssaswish; 05-03-2012 at 01:55 PM.
alyssaswish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
alyssaswish
Mouseketeer

I was hoping to go to Disney the second week of November. I want Alyssa to experience the MVMCP and eat with Cinderella in the castle but have no other major plans. Can anyone suggest special things for a little girl at Disney? Hopefully Alyssa will be 3 by the time we go.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
alyssaswish
Mouseketeer

So I guess I need to explain the title of my thread. Alyssa LOVES pink! We have been asking her some questions so we can get info for her wish grantors when they come. When we ask who is her favorite princess she says PINK. When we ask her what is her favorite food she says PINK. So when the MAW grantors come to our house I will be surprised if she answers anything other than PINK! Her verbal skills are excellent and she talks in sentences so I don't know if she is trying to be funny or just get under my skin with her PINK comments.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
billwendy
DIS Veteran

Planning your trip will be so much FUN!!!!!

Traumatic Brain Injury 2/5 & 9/6/2013
March is TBI Awareness Month!
Life changes in an instant! Shine On!
billwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #6
alyssaswish
Mouseketeer

I know! I am so excited! Can anyone tell me how to add a signature?
Old 07-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
disprincessesmom1012
Mouseketeer

Joining In!!!!

Your kids are so cute! Alyssa is a trooper! How exciting to get a trip to Disney! I hope you all have a great time, after all your family has been through, YOU DESERVE IT!

Surprising the Littles, DxDP, CBR and MNSSHP!! A Late Sept/Early Oct 2012 PTR

April 2010: First Ever Trip! DD1 2 1/2yr, DD2 in the womb
disprincessesmom1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
Lilfoot93
DIS Veteran

Joining in!

Your kids are adorable! Glad to here Alyssa gets her wish.

Jackie

TR: Trev's Star Wars MAW trip

Trevor DS 7 (wish kiddo) Allie DD 4 Kara DD 4
Lilfoot93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #9
reyasmommy
DIS Veteran

You have the most adorable family, and Alyssa is sooo beautiful. She has truly captured my heart. She reminds me so much of my DD, and I'm so sorry she's had to go through the hardships she has. I'm extremely excited for you all to go to Disney. It sounds like you're all going to have an amazing time. We'll be there around the same time. (12th-23rd) If I see ya, I'll give ya a wave.
Happy planning, can't wait to read more.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
maroo
DIS Veteran

hello!!!

I just wanted to let you know that I found your pre-trippie report on here and put a link to it on the Wish Trippers UNITE thread.

You probably already know about that thread on here...but just in case, I thought I would invite you on over!

I put your link on the first page of the thread - so hopefully anyone that has not been by here yet will come say hello!

You have a beautiful family. You are doing a great job on all of the planning!
maroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #11
alyssaswish
Mouseketeer

Thank you everyone for the kind comments!

My baby girl just turned 3 and my baby boy turns 6 next week! We had a cheerleader and football player birthday party, and guests were asked to show their team spirit by wearing their favorite college colors. The party was so much fun! The party was held at Elite Gym where both Alyssa and Chase take gymnastics. Guests brought toys to donate to NC Children's Cancer Clinic where Alyssa receives her treatments. This is the second year we have done this, and it brings us so much joy to have our kids want to donate their birthday gifts!

Toys Donated!

The kids real birthday gift!

Last edited by alyssaswish; 09-04-2012 at 09:22 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: