Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
IUTBAM
DIS Veteran

What makes people refuse to eat leftovers?

And does that mean they aren't financially responsible?

I've been talking about this with my DD (she's in college, but lives at home) for the last few days because of something that happened between her and the guy she's dating...it's been bugging her, and I can definitely understand why, lol. The guy she's dating is a college student...they've been dating about a month and a half but aren't officially "in a relationship" yet (he wants it, but she's going slow). He lives in his own apartment (no roommate), drives a very nice truck, goes to school full-time, doesn't work, doesn't come from a wealthy family, and has said that he's "living on loans". He also recently mentioned to her that he needs to find a job because he's running out of money. Hmmm...okay.

Well, she feels sorry for him because he doesn't cook at all, and he eats out a lot (might explain why he has no money, lol) and doesn't get home-cooked meals. The other day I made a HUGE pot of really yummy soup. We had so much leftover, that she mentioned to him she had this incredible soup that her mom had made, and he responded back via text that it sounded fabulous. She then texted him and offered to put some in the freezer for him. His response? "Well, IDK because I don't eat leftovers!" WTHeck? She was pretty taken aback...I mean geez, the guy is a poor college student and turns down a home-cooked meal because it's leftovers? Everybody knows soup tastes better the next day anyway! She's a bit stubborn and wanted to know what his reasoning was, and he said that food usually doesn't taste good when frozen and/or reheated. BALONEY! This morning, more as a joke than anything else, I googled, "people who don't eat leftovers" and found this article:

http://www.savingadvice.com/articles...leftovers.html

It makes a lot of sense (and it's definitely how we live). I showed it to her, and now she's thinking he's probably NOT all that financially responsible (considering the leftover issue, plus other things she's noticed)...and I have to agree.
IUTBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

The good news here is that he's still young. This was probably how his family was and that's all he knows.

When my husband and I met, he didn't eat sour cream on his baked potatoes nor had he ever eaten broccoli. That's all changed....

While the relationship is "new", if she wants to pursue it, it's probably not a deal breaker at this point but, I agree, it's odd.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Some people are repulsed by "leftovers". I think it is a idiosyncrasy.

My youngest dd does not like leftovers. However my dh, other dd and I live on them. In fact we cook with a purpose for leftovers for the next day or two.

Maybe they had families that never cooked or something and did not grow up eating homecooked meals? Not sure.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
si-am
DIS Veteran

I don't eat leftovers unless it's pizza. I really don't enjoy eating something twice in a row and the thought of freezing it and eating it months down the road just sounds unappealing to me.

I send leftovers with my husband for his lunches at work.

I'm not financially irresponsible. I can afford to eat a brand new meal every day, so that's what I do.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by si-am View Post
I don't eat leftovers unless it's pizza. I really don't enjoy eating something twice in a row and the thought of freezing it and eating it months down the road just sounds unappealing to me.

I'm not financially irresponsible. I can afford to eat a brand new meal every day, so that's what I do.
My thoughts exactly. When I shop, I buy the right amount for each meal. E.g., there are three of us, so I'll buy three chicken breasts or 18 oz. of fish or whatever. And I *hate* eating food that was previously frozen. All we have in our freezer right now is ice cream and ice packs. To each his own.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
bettymae1121
sure. fine. whatever.

I only eat leftovers that re-heat well, some things obviously do better than others. Now that I have a toaster oven I do eat more leftovers than I used to as somethings that suck after being nuked taste pretty good when heated in the toaster oven (pizza is a great example).

Fortunately DH is a human garbage disposal so all leftovers get eaten, just usually by DH rather than myself.

bettymae1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #7
Angelhalo
Ok I was like crap I'm breaking rules and I'm gonna get points and I didn't even know I was breaking rules!!! LOL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by si-am View Post

Ditto. It isn't that I throw the leftovers away. All of the food still gets eaten. It just doesn't get eaten by me. Hubby eats them. Nothing gets wasted and I don't have to eat food that I don't want. No one is harmed by our system and our life moves happily along
Old 04-06-2012, 09:27 AM   #8
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelhalo View Post
No one is harmed by our system and our life moves happily along
We'll be the judge of that!!
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #9
wdwmom2
It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow
Hopefully the Disney magic will kick in
my co-workers made me bath in Scope mouth wash
Fractured Prune is like donut Heaven

I love leftovers!!!! That's one less meal I need to cook

wdwmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwmom2 View Post
I love leftovers!!!! That's one less meal I need to cook
I'm the same way!

Often times you can tweak leftovers to be a completely different meal. You would never know you are eating leftovers. Like if we have leftover steak, I'll slice it up thin and make steak fajitas. Or leftover chicken, I'll make chicken fried rice.

To me, leftovers are a win-win.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

Last edited by OceanAnnie; 04-04-2012 at 01:11 PM.
OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #11
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran

I'm not a big fan of leftovers. I'm not a picky person, but generally I find the taste of leftovers to be so nasty that I'll avoid it unless I have no other option.

Baked pasta meals like mac and cheese or lasagna, meatloaf (in sandwiches), turkey (in sandwiches)... they're totally fine and I'll happily eat them.

Everything else, I would only eat if I HAD to for economic reasons. I think the taste is different and generally unpalatable the second time it's reheated in part because it's often either too wet or too dry or too tough when it's reheated.

My dh loves leftovers, however, so that's what he has most days for lunch.
Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #12
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!

Yep, I continue to see a huge red-flag here too.

At 18-19-maybe 20, the 'still young and stoopid' rule might still apply.

At 22... what the OP had described...
R U N!!!!!!!

There comes a time where the excuses and explanations and justifications no longer cut it, and one must look in a very hard objective way at a situation.

I thought the 'young and stoopid' rule applied to a few things with my DH when I first met him. (mid-twenties)
Big mistake.

My advice to anybody, before getting that serious in a relationship and planning a future...
Try to take off the rose-colored glasses for a moment and look at what 'IS'.
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #13
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanAnnie View Post
I'm the same way!

Often times you can tweak leftovers to be a completely different meal. You would never know you are eating leftovers. Like if we have leftover steak, I'll slice it up thin and make steak fajitas. Or leftover chicken, I'll make chicken fried rice.

To me, leftovers are a win-win.
Does the meat taste as good to you the 2nd time? It does not to me. Leftover meat is invariably dry or tough. It's a texture thing.
Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:05 PM   #14
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andtototoo View Post
Does the meat taste as good to you the 2nd time? It does not to me. Leftover meat is invariably dry or tough. It's a texture thing.
Then you are cooking the meat at too high a temperature (making it tough.) If it's too dry, sometimes you have to add extra liquid or water. Maybe only a couple tablespoons of water. You don't just flop leftovers in a pan, add heat and call it done.) Then there's probably adding it in at the wrong time for the dish as it is already pre-cooked and the rest of the ingredients may not be.

You don't re-cook the meats. They only need re-heating till they are hot. They are already cooked. And/or, if you know you are going to use some of the meat in a later meal, you can alternately not cook it long enough the first time that it will be over done when you re-heat it.

Whenever I've talked to people who don't like leftovers, they usually don't know HOW to reheat properly or how to add leftovers (pre-cooked) into a new dish. There IS a technique to it. It is different than first-time cooking.

Hmm, now I have a craving for fried rice. BTW, the rice in fried rice in Chinese restaurants is leftover rice, too. It is better that way, as it doesn't get too mushy or sticky when making fried rice. It actually has some bite to it.
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!

Last edited by Imzadi; 04-04-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #15
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

As long as his loans aren't in default I personally wouldn't care (if I was dating him). And since I was never a big fan of leftovers at that age, its not something that would register on my radar to discuss with my mom.
Of course I have changed since I was 22, and that may very well be the case with this guy. If there aren't plans for a wedding just yet, then really its not that big of a deal IMO.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: