Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #1
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Port of Miami sounds crazy - anyone help?

We've a 5-night booked for next year and I just thought i'd start taking a look at the port of miami.
I wish i hadn't!

Now, I realise, until the Wonder starts sailing from Miami, we're not going to have much info on how Disney's going to do it, but I keep coming across reviews and reports that the port is crazy busy with huge crowds, luggage on wrong ships (right room, wrong ship ), Hours in custom lines, hours to get into the port etc. - traffic at a standstill. People from LA and Chicago that can't believe the traffic!

Anyone have any experience with the port of Miami? Guess we've been spoilt with the relative calm of PC.

Thanks for any info. Hoping an Official Miami Thread might start soon like the Seattle one. Maybe any locals out there can share some insight?

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
mkmommy
DIS Veteran

I sailed once from Miami and it was fine.

Stayed the night before at the Hyatt which was not more than a $20 cab ride from the airport. Took taxi to the port and that was less than $10.

Disembarking was painless (just did San Pedro and that was slow). Rented a car through one that had a shuttle to their airport location ( Alamo or Dollar?)and did not have any problems with that or driving in Miami.

I do remember the taxi drivers were crazy, but they are like that every where.

mkmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmommy View Post
I sailed once from Miami and it was fine.

Stayed the night before at the Hyatt which was not more than a $20 cab ride from the airport. Took taxi to the port and that was less than $10.

Disembarking was painless (just did San Pedro and that was slow). Rented a car through one that had a shuttle to their airport location ( Alamo or Dollar?)and did not have any problems with that or driving in Miami.

I do remember the taxi drivers were crazy, but they are like that every where.
Thanks.

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

Old 03-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
mjfisherdc
Mouseketeer

We were on Carnival out of Miami last March. We did fly into Ft. Lauderdale and were shuttled to the port. We had no issues coming or going.

CR 1995
POFQ Sept 10
CR Nov 10 (Just me and the kids!!)
GF Jan 11, Celebrate DS 4th b-day - cancelled due to snow causing flight cancellation
WL May 11
Bonnet Creek Sept 11
Disney Dream March 2012 *my big 4-0!! - Cancelled, but rescheduled for September 2012
Bonnet Creek with kids and UDA/UCA competition March 2012
Fantasy Sept 2014
mjfisherdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
toontoy
Mouseketeer

We are going on the 6 night new years even cruise. I have a few questions.

We are staying at South beach a few nights before the cruise, how far is it to the terminal. We are flying in and out of FLL and I hear its about 25 miles is that correct. We are wondering about transfer options for us, its just me and my wife.

Also does anyone have any recommendations for everglade tours?

We tried to sign up for the cruise meet but it doesn't look like its open?

thanks for any help you can give me.
toontoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toontoy View Post

We are staying at South beach a few nights before the cruise, how far is it to the terminal. We are flying in and out of FLL and I hear its about 25 miles is that correct. We are wondering about transfer options for us, its just me and my wife.

Someone posted on another Miami transfer thread that DCL is taking names for those flying in/out of FLL and if there's enough interest they will offer transfers from there. You will need to contact DCL to get on a list for that.
Link to that thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2885839

If you don't see a cruise meets thread for your sailing on the Meets Boards feel free to start a thread for your sailing. Don't for get to post the link to the meets thread in the Find Your Wonder 2012 Meets Thread for the link to be added to the first post.

Have you looked on www.cruisecritic.com at their Miami port forum for an Everglades excursion?

Last edited by jilljill; 03-20-2012 at 12:19 PM.
jilljill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
dawne98
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by toontoy View Post

South beach is not that far away at all, also I fly in and out of FLL all the time (I live in South Miami), you get on I-95 and go south and go right to the port of Miami from it. If you look at a map it is going to look crazy but it's not hard at all to get from FLL to South beach and the port.
We'll be on the May 2013 Disney cruise out of Miami I can not wait
dawne98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:37 AM   #8
NWmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgirls View Post
Thanks for any info. Hoping an Official Miami Thread might start soon like the Seattle one. Maybe any locals out there can share some insight?
Thank you. I started the Seattle one and everyone from the area is helping to add to it.

Ironically I am from Miami. My best advice to give you is make sure you go to one of the sandwich shops and get a Cuban Sandwich. They are simple and yet delicious. For me they embody so many good Miami memories.
NWmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:38 AM   #9
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

Parking at the port is $20 a day and almost all of Miami has parking fees. There is a hertz very close to port of miami.
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:08 AM   #10
NWmom
DIS Veteran

I just set up an official Miami thread modeled on the Seattle one.
I'll combine the info this weekend from them all.
NW
NWmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #11
cwdefouw
DVC Member since 1999

Hotel Ideas in Miami

For those looking for a hotel idea for Pre/Post Cruise in Miami. Given the satisfaction that we and others have had at the Hyatt MCO, I looked into Hyatt's in Miami. There is a Hyatt Regency, downtown, I believe an earlier poster in this thread mentioned. It is fairly close to the port, likely not more than 10-15 minute cab ride. Also right on the overhead tram line. As at the Hyatt MCO they accept the Hyatt Stay certificates, but, unlike the MCO location, they accept them all the way down to the Classic level, these certificates are only $109 plus shipping. Of course there still needs to be availability on the night in question for that type of certificate, but if there is availability, then this would be quite a deal as rooms in downtown Miami for a nicer hotel are pretty steep, high $200's and up.

cwdefouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #12
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

Used to live in Miami come the day before and enjoy it lots of fun. The Hyatt is very nice but don't get room by the drawbridge as that is what we heard all night long. The Hyatt is also very close to bayside you can walk it in day light. At Bayside lots of ships places to eat . Think downtown Disney type. They also have boats that tours of mansions they also have one that has Miami at night too. All the hotels are downtown are less than 10-15 ride to the pier.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #13
ptmmg
DIS Veteran

we to are booked next Feb for The wonder 5 day out of Maimi and was wondering why I couldnt find any info on this port glad this thread is here!
ptmmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #14
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmmg View Post
we to are booked next Feb for The wonder 5 day out of Maimi and was wondering why I couldnt find any info on this port glad this thread is here!
This is where the official thread will be.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2897908

Thanks NWMom.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:55 PM   #15
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

In a taxi from Miami to FLL was $80 there is a Hertz rental on downtown mIami.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: