Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
Tinkerbell1989
DIS Veteran

'Finally got my own way!' PTR

Evening all!

Well, I may be a little forward in doing my PTR but I've spent the past 6 months trying to convince DBF to book our 2012 holiday to Disney. After a week off work, and an impromtu visit to Virgin Holidays, he has finally said that if we can get his staff discount then we can go! So I'm gonna start this now... but it may disappear next week if VH don't let us have our discount!

So, I'll introduce us

On our last holiday to Corfu
Her: Steffi, 22, nursery nurse, dreamer, obsessed with everything Disney much like the rest of my family.
Him: Tom, 23, business analyst, sensible with money, likes spreadsheets, pretends he's too mature for Disney but enjoys the planning and the technologies.

Plans so far:
Well, as I've said, right now, none
But when I pin Tom down to book it next week, it will be -
8th-20th October (12 nights) at Coronado Springs Resort with Quick Service Dining Plan.

How do you guys find the QSDP? Compared to the DDP?

We've never stayed at a WDW resort before, so I'm looking forward to the freedom of going back to the hotel during the day, and I'm hoping it won't be horribly busy like it often is in December.

To-do list:
BOOK IT!
Insurance and ESTAs
Keep saving £1s for spending money
Take a good look at food places - book any ADRs?
MNSSHP - consider?
Clothes shopping - obviously!
Collect shopping list from family - Lucky Charms etc

Unfortunately I don't have much more to add now... but I'm hoping to come back with a confirmation and much more to do

Thanks for reading my waffling

Steffi xx

2013's Big Celebration Christmas Trip 'Finally got my own way!'...October 2012 TR Playing 'I Spy' in Disney... December 2010 TR Our Youtube Channel

DLRP August 2004 DLRP June 2008

WDW October 2000 WDW April 2003 WDW December 2006 WDW December 2010 WDW CSR October 2012 WDW December 2013
Tinkerbell1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
beautifullily
Mouseketeer

Fingers crossed you get your discount. Look forward to hearing more.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
princess_ariel_85
DIS Veteran

Fingers crossed that you can get your discount!

Octobers a wonderful time to visit & I think MNSSHP is a definate, alot of fun.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Hope you get your own way - you're a girl after my own heart

October is a great time of year to visit, we love MNSSHP and the warm but not so humid weather. The parks are not as busy as December but probably more so than the quieter months like January and September.

We've never done the QSDP but there are some great counter service places at WDW - we love Yak & Yeti CS at Animal Kingdom, Wolfgang Puck Express at DTD and Columbia Harbour House at Magic Kingdom. Plus, Earl of Sandwich is a great CS place too.

Fingers crossed you get it booked
wilma-bride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
joolz1910
I would have gone down to reception in my robe and slippers
I can't decide if it's sweet or sinister

I hope you get it booked!
2009 DLRP (DLH)
'Just Like we Dreamed it...at the DLH'
2011 DLP (Cheyenne)
2012 OKW at WDW 'A Whole New World'

joolz1910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

I hope you get it booked, I'll send positive vibes to you!
You must to MNSSHP, it's so much fun
You'll love the food and wine festival as well and you can use your snack credits to sample the booths
Happy planning
Linda67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
tinks_1989
need a like button

Hi I am here following your invitation and with my bottle I said I would bring (didnt have a bottle drinking one)

I would defiantly go with Port Orleans Riverside and if you can afford to upgrade the dining I would! x
tinks_1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #8
Tinkerbell1989
DIS Veteran

Hehe, aww thanks ladies! And Leanne, drinks of any sorts are welcome

Well, an update on our booking issue. We couldn't get our discount but we can get a money off using our Tesco Clubcard points.

So, after Tom messed around with his magic spreadhseet, we discussed making more use of the DDP instead of the QSDP, and before I knew it our clubcard points had been converted to airmiles with VH!!

I was given a choice of where to stay, which we'd like to put the deposit down tonight, so... where to stay?!

Coronado Springs, Port Orleans Riverside, or Port Orleans French Quarter?!

EDIT - It's done! We've off to Coronado Springs!
xxx

2013's Big Celebration Christmas Trip 'Finally got my own way!'...October 2012 TR Playing 'I Spy' in Disney... December 2010 TR Our Youtube Channel

WDW October 2000 WDW April 2003 WDW December 2006 WDW December 2010 WDW CSR October 2012 WDW December 2013

Last edited by Tinkerbell1989; 02-06-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #9
princess_ariel_85
DIS Veteran

Awww! thats great news. Can't wait to hear more of your plans x
Old 02-07-2012, 03:38 AM   #10
beautifullily
Mouseketeer

Yeah, let the planning commence!
Old 02-13-2012, 01:23 AM   #11
Tink2312
I didn't ask to be a princess but if the crown fits...
May take over the world ... or not

Your plan sounds great so far. We've stayed at Coronado Springs twice and we love it - superior rooms to the rest of the moderates and the most beautiful lake. Also lovely pool area and particularly good quiet pools. I'd recommend you request Casitas or Cabanas (our personal favourite) as the Ranchos section is a bit far out and we don't care for the theming - all looks very fake and plastic IMHO.
Loving the restaurant choices - I personally wouldn't bother with CRT - why not try dinner at 1900 PF instead - similar characters and only 1 TS. Have you thought of having a meal at the Polynesian? We love Kona Cafe and Ohana for dinner and I've heard they're both good for breakfast too (Ohana breakfast is with Stitch and friends). We love eating over there and spending time exploring the resort and one of our favourite things to do is relax and watch Wishes from the beach - you can't beat laying on a lounger away from the crowds!
Happy planning
Tink2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #12
Tinkerbell1989
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess_ariel_85 View Post
Your restaurant choices look great! I really enjoyed Le Celliers. Yum.

MNSSHP is fun and the dessert party is good, I'm hoping to do it again this year. If you like to snack on desserts it's good and you get the big bonus of not being trod on whilst watching Wishes.

Can't wait to see your final resturant list. Some of the ones you are considering are great places to eat xx
The only places we've eaten at before is Chef Mickeys, Rainforest Cafe and Tusker Hosue... so we just wanted to try lots of new and different places. And I love my food, so as long as I get to eat I'm happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink2312 View Post
Your plan sounds great so far. We've stayed at Coronado Springs twice and we love it - superior rooms to the rest of the moderates and the most beautiful lake. Also lovely pool area and particularly good quiet pools. I'd recommend you request Casitas or Cabanas (our personal favourite) as the Ranchos section is a bit far out and we don't care for the theming - all looks very fake and plastic IMHO.
Loving the restaurant choices - I personally wouldn't bother with CRT - why not try dinner at 1900 PF instead - similar characters and only 1 TS. Have you thought of having a meal at the Polynesian? We love Kona Cafe and Ohana for dinner and I've heard they're both good for breakfast too (Ohana breakfast is with Stitch and friends). We love eating over there and spending time exploring the resort and one of our favourite things to do is relax and watch Wishes from the beach - you can't beat laying on a lounger away from the crowds!
Happy planning
Aw bless you! I'm glad you enjoyed CSR! And thankyou for your recommendation... we need all the help we can get wiyth regards to onsite stays!

I think the appeal for me of CRT is simply because it's in the castle... but, I agree for 2 TS each it seems a lot!

Ooh the Polynesian for Wishes! What a good idea! And we watched something the other day which showed how to make 'Tonga Toast' (from Kona I believe?) and it looked delicious!!

Maybe I've got some adjusting to do...

xxx

Old 02-14-2012, 12:51 AM   #13
Tink2312
I didn't ask to be a princess but if the crown fits...
May take over the world ... or not

Tonga toast is Kona but rather than use a TS for breakfast there, we go to Captain Cooks for a CS and you can get Tonga toast there too - yum!
Tink2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:16 AM   #14
joolz1910
I would have gone down to reception in my robe and slippers
I can't decide if it's sweet or sinister

Glad you are now in full planning-mode! I can't wait for the October/November hours to be out!
2009 DLRP (DLH)
'Just Like we Dreamed it...at the DLH'
2011 DLP (Cheyenne)
2012 OKW at WDW 'A Whole New World'

joolz1910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #15
Tinkerbell1989
DIS Veteran

October hours - why aren't you out yet?!
I'm getting a little impatient and seem to have come to a standstill!

Things I've been thinking about -
Photopass A lot of people on here pre-order the CD, which is a good saving as I understand... but when we've been in December, the queues for Photopass are HUGE! I'm assuming it's because it's peak season; I just don't want to be 'wasting' time queuing when I could be riding Space Mountain or eating

Tours I'd like to do the Keys to the Kingdom tour, but again it's extra money - this was meant to be a budget trip! However, it seems from reviews that it's right up our street with information on how it's built, secrets and backstage gossip!

MNSSHP If we go, which hasn't been decided yet, what do we dress up as?! I love fancy dress, but Tom, not so much.

Universal Studios I know, the other side! I really only want to go just so I can go to Harry Potter land again, as it had not long opened in 2010 and was heaving busy. A silly idea? We're only there for 10 days and have DDP...

When the hours and my 180 days roll around, I won't be twiddling my thumbs so much!

xxx

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: