Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

February 1st, 2013 ~ 8 MAGICal days we can't wait for!!

To say my son & I are excited about this cruise is a ginormous, massive understatement.

We had heard the rumors for years about a Disney ship coming right here to Galveston, but there are always crazy Disney-related rumors swirling around, you know? The day the rumor became official, we had lumps in our throats.
This will be our 5th journey on the Magic. Our last was several years ago, because both the cruise cost and especially airfare had just gone way above my sad little single parent budget. We've done Royal Caribbean since then (and are about to again) and love it as well, but nothing compares for us to the Magic. It's like an old friend to us, and I don't think we've ever been so excited about a trip. And the fact that we get a whole extra night on her is icing on the cake!!

We're in a secret porthole room this time, and I'm happy to have it, but I'm so used to a balcony... I'm hoping it doesn't drive me crazy to not have that. I love being out there late at night right before bed and early in the morning to help wake me up. But honestly, at this point, I think we would both bunk with the luggage just to be on that ship.

So who else is with us?? Can't wait to chat!

-gina-

ROLL CALL:

(Gina) Gina (46), Tyler Dean (DS - 16) ~ Stateroom #7120 ~ Dining: Late ~ Celebrating TD's 17th birthday (2/24)

(JohnsPrincess) Lexi (32), John (37), Sebastian - DS (1) ~ Dining: Main ~ Celebrating Sebastian's 1-year birthday (2/1), and Lexi & John's 8th anniversary (2/9)

(sissy_ib) Amanda (30), Chris (30) ~ Celebrating 1 year anniversary

(AlaskanAbbott) Mike & Amber, Macylea (DD - 15), Mackenzie (DD - 8) ~ Stateroom #2079
also with:
Grandpa Mel, Caelan (DS - 17), James (DS - 15), Elijah (DS - turning 13) ~ Stateroom #2081

(onescrappymom) Jen (39), Jason (39), Reagan (9) and Maddie (2) ~ Stateroom #6608 ~ Celebrating 1st DCL cruise!

(MedicGoofy) Jenn (32) ~ Stateroom #7567 ~ Celebrating 1st DCL cruise!

(SkyCruiser) Jim & Brenda ~ Stateroom #2612

(CODisney) Carmen (25), Chris (26) ~ Celebrating 1st DCL cruise!

(Awaken) Pam & Richard with Michael (8) ~ First Disney cruise!!

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 47) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (47)

Last edited by Gina; 08-12-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
IrishCowboy
DIS Veteran

I have added your thread to the cruise meet list

Have a great cruise!
Disney Fantasy 7-21-2012
Disney Magic 11-19-2011 - Back to Back
Disney Magic 11-12-2011
Carnival Dream 7-24-2011
Disney Magic 6-13-2009, Disney Magic 11-22-2008,
Disney Magic 3-17-2007, Disney Magic 7-22-2006,
Disney Magic 9-03-2005, Disney Magic 9-18-2004, Disney Magic 5-15-2004, Disney Magic 5-??-2003,
Disney Wonder 12-19-2002, Disney Magic 5-25-2002, Disney Magic 1-19-2002, Disney Magic 5-12-2001
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Hi Gina! We are already friends on Facebook! (Amanda Wentz) We just got off the Magic this morning, we are driving home now. (DH is driving, I'm catching up online ) We did the eastern and got married a few days ago on St Thomas This was our first cruise and we loved it so much we booked for our first anniversary! We are in San Antonio so it's only a few hours drive for us to Galveston. My new BIL lives in Houston so we're hoping we can get him to drive us to the port and leave a car at his place. We had a Navagators veranda for the cruise we just got off but we booked an inside room for next time. We loved the balcony but the money saved will go a long way in paying for excursions and such! Plus it's just a quick elevator ride to deck 10 if I want to see anything!

Last edited by sissy_ib; 02-04-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
Gina

Hi Amanda!! That is so stinkin' cool that we're already booked for the same cruise together! And congrats again on getting married!! St. Maarten is one of my favorite places... it must have been so beautiful to get married there!

So glad you enjoyed your first cruise... As you've already found it, it's addicting. LOL But won't it be so nice to save on the airfare next time and just be able to drive down?

What were your favorite things about the Magic??

-gina-

Old 02-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
So glad you enjoyed your first cruise... As you've already found it, it's addicting. LOL But won't it be so nice to save on the airfare next time and just be able to drive down?

What were your favorite things about the Magic??

-gina-
We drove to Florida!
On the way down we stopped to see my grandparents outside Tallahassee a few days, then WDW for 6 days, then the cruse. So getting there was not to bad. The 18 hour drive home however.

We looked at Alaska on the Wonder for later in 2013 but the airfare is what stopped us. The cruise itself was in the same price range, but at $350+ each in to Seattle and driving up or $550+ each into Vancouver plus an extra night in a hotel (no way I would fly in day of) it almost doubled the cost.

We are VERY excited about this cruise though. We only did an excursion at CC so for this next trip we are planing several. I want to see the Mayan ruins for sure. Maybe a dolphin swim as well.

What were my favorite thing about the Magic? Honestly I LOVED the movement of the ship at night. It was like being rocked to sleep.
The shows were "Magical". We missed "Twice Charmed" because I fell asleep in the Rain Forest room! Another thing I enjoyed. But we loved "Dreams" and will be sure to catch "Twice Charmed" next time.
I liked how easy it was to get around. I knew where everything was by about day two. You can walk anywhere on the ship in 5 minutes! I don't have a reference for other ships but I loved how easy it was. The adults only programming was very nice as well. We enjoyed the wine tastings and I will be doing them again next trip and the piano at night in Sessions was just great. I wish I had gone down there more.
And my favorite thing was bingo. I won FIVE times! We only played 6 sessions! DH and I even won on the same card once! We went home ahead but I know my luck wont hold out. I need to budget for loosing next year!
Also the "Behind the Scenes" seminars. I got to meet Cathy Carver which was incredible. Plus I got a few great pins for answering questions correctly!
Old 02-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

I looked in to doing Royal Caribbean out of Galveston and they are somewhat cheaper. But a few things are keeping us on DCL.

One, since we booked on board we do have a $200 OBC from Disney. This really helps make up the price difference.
Two, DCL is an 8 night not 7, also helping make up the difference.
Three, one RC itinerary goes to Jamaica which I have no interest in and the other only goes to two ports.
Four, the only "extras" RC has I would want to do, SCUBA in the pool and Zip Line, are not offered on the ship we would be on!

I have read many long time cruisers complaining about DCL doing the same ports year after year but they are all new to us! Even Key West is a new adventure for us.

Last edited by sissy_ib; 02-06-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #7
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Just thought I would share a few ideas.

I've decided we are going to participate in the FE. I would be more than happy to be the contact person/organizer. On my last cruise the FE organizer made a Google document with the name, email, stateroom and any special occasions for everyone participating. She also mad a map using the floor plan on DCL's website with all the participating rooms highlighted. I can start the document now and make the maps when we finalize everything. Depending on how many people we get we can split in to groups.

We ca put a roll call in one of the first posts. Just basic info, first names, age, how many cruises we have been on.

We can make a facebook group. I though it would be fun to share all of our photos from past cruises and then photos once we get back.

Does anyone have any ideas for a group name?

If anyone has a fun idea of a group activity on board please share. I'm sure we will all meet up on the first day but maybe we could meet up at some of the programs?

We could also organize a meet right before the cruise for the people that are in town. Just something small like a Starbucks or something the night before.

Is this anyone's first cruise? This is only my second and we've not been to these ports. Please post any questions about the ports, The Magic or general cruise questions and we can help each other out.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #8
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina
Hi Amanda! Thanks for the Pleasure Pier review! I want to ride the Iron Shark soooooo bad. And I love Murdoch's... I could spend all day (and all paycheck) there. But I love places like that anyway. Did y'all wander the Strand at all? Those are where my very very favorite places are. In fact, I think tomorrow night we're going to go grab a milkshake at La King's and then go ride the ferry. That's always our mini-cruise-fix.

How was the aquarium yesterday?? I've heard it's really neat!
We didn't do anything else in Galveston. We meet my Bil and his fiance there and they aren't really in to doing stuff, if that makes sense? Lol
The aquarium is fun but small. We had lunch at the restaurant there and that was really nice. I don't think I would go out of my way to go to the aquarium again though.

Today we hit the Houston Museum of Natural Science. The new hall of palenontology is awesome! I'm like a kid when it comes to that stuff.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #9
MedicGoofy
DIS Veteran

Thanks for that info!!

I am heading into Texas a couple of days before the cruise to check out Houston and then head into Galveston early. Will definitely check out the pier!!

Any other ideas or suggestions....throw them my way. I am up for anything. I LOVE exploring new places. Escpecially new restaurants. Let me know what's good there

Jenn
Old 07-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #10
Gina

Well yeah, fog is very common here in January and February. It is what it is. Last cruise we actually got out on time, but one cruise we were delayed a couple of hours, and one cruise we didn't board until 8:30pm and didn't leave Galveston until 3am.

We keep hoping one of these days, we'll be on the other side of the fog and will get to have our cruise extended! :-)

Sent from my Galaxy S Blaze using DISBoards mobile

Old 07-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #11
MedicGoofy
DIS Veteran

We are so approaching the 6 month mark to our cruise

Has anyone started thinking about what excursions you are going to do or thinking of doing? I have my eye on a couple...

And I am now all set up to spend the 2 nights prior to the cruise in Galveston Super excited about this. I am thinking of heading over to Kemah to check out the boardwalk, and maybe Moody Gardens. Any other great suggestions?

What about places to eat? Im thinking maybe Landry's, Flying Dutchmen, Joe's? Any other good eats suggestions? I LOVE my seafood and looking to try some awesome stuff here

Thanks, Jenn

P.S. Gina, just realized I didn't give you much info for the first page. You can add my age, 32, and that Im in room #7567. SERIOUSLY hoping for an upgrade at port!! Will be there early to see
Old 07-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #12
Gina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicGoofy View Post
We are so approaching the 6 month mark to our cruise

Quote:
Has anyone started thinking about what excursions you are going to do or thinking of doing? I have my eye on a couple...

Cozumel is a day at Paradise Beach for us, no question. Key West will be a day of enjoying the nice empty ship. Grand Cayman -- As much as I loathe tendering, I've finally convinced my son to snorkel with the stingrays with me! Last time, he wouldn't even get off the boat, lol. But he was only like 8 or 9 at that point.

Costa Maya is one of my very favorite ports, and DS & I were trying to decide what to do this time. Last time, we toured Chacchoben with David from Native Choice, and it was pretty much the most amazing day either of us have ever had. We're both Mayan history buffs anyway, and to get to see and touch actual history, and hear about it from a true Mayan descendent, was beyond amazing. David knows so much, and is so passionate about all of it.

I was just looking at their website when you mentioned excursions, to start thinking about it again, and saw that they have a new offering that sounds so cool!! It's the Costa Maya Ball Game Tour. DS & I toured a Mayan ball court replica in Roatan this year, and were absolutely fascinated by the rituals and history behind the tradition. I called him just now to tell him about this new tour, and he said "BOOK IT", so I think that's what we'll be doing there.

It must be brand new, though -- there aren't even prices listed yet.
But I just can't speak highly enough about David and Ivan and Native Choice as a whole, and if anyone is looking for something to do in Costa Maya you ought to check them out. I've heard the Mayan Experience tour is really good too. www.thenativechoice.com

Quote:
And I am now all set up to spend the 2 nights prior to the cruise in Galveston Super excited about this. I am thinking of heading over to Kemah to check out the boardwalk, and maybe Moody Gardens. Any other great suggestions?

Moody Gardens is at least a full day in itself! Kemah is fun, we love it there. Downtown Galveston has Pirates! and the haunted house right behind Sangerfest Park, just off the Strand, and if you like history and/or gorgeous architecture & design, you could tour the Bishop's Palace (which we think at night, reminds of the Haunted Mansion!), the Moody Mansion, or the Ashton Villa. Just stunning places. www.galveston.com is your best bet for info on anything and everything to do, see, or eat in Galveston!

Quote:
What about places to eat? Im thinking maybe Landry's, Flying Dutchmen, Joe's? Any other good eats suggestions? I LOVE my seafood and looking to try some awesome stuff here

I would try either Fish Tales, or Gaido's. Fish Tales, right across from the new Pleasure Pier, gets consistently amazing reviews for their seafood: http://www.b4-u-eat.com/houston/rest...ws/rsv1551.asp
Gaido's seems to be more hit or miss now, which is sad because it is an Island institution. Another place I hear a lot of people rave about is Miller's Seawall Grill. I don't eat seafood, though, so can't really speak for any of these places! But you can read the reviews for yourself at B4-U-Eat.

And if you want an amazing burger (or some seafood things like fish tacos), as well as an amazing view, there is simply no place but The Spot. YUM. And if you want an adult beverage with said view, there is Drip, the Rum Shack, the Tiki Bar, and Squeeze all there as part of the "Island Famous" complex with The Spot. www.islandfamous.com

Quote:
P.S. Gina, just realized I didn't give you much info for the first page. You can add my age, 32, and that Im in room #7567. SERIOUSLY hoping for an upgrade at port!! Will be there early to see

Got it added! And I'll be crossing my fingers for you for an upgrade!

Old 07-25-2012, 03:33 PM   #13
alaskanabbott
DIS Veteran

I really want to book the ruins tour with Native Choice, but I'm terrified of getting back late to the ship if we do anything other than a DCL excursion. Any thoughts to alleviate my fears?
TR-THE WEEK OF YES!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2428215
GKTW-3/10 ASMO-2/11 Disney Wonder-2/12Disney Wonder-11/12Disney Magic-1/13
Old 07-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #14
princessmommyx3
Mouseketeer

My family just booked our first Disney Cruise on the Magic on 02/01/13. Not only is this our first Disney cruise, but it is our first cruise ever. I stumbled across this site while trying to learn everything I can about Disney cruises in order to be prepared when February arrives. Hopefully this thread can help me find out everything I need to know so that our cruise is as fantastic as everyone says it will be!

Our group will include myself, my husband, and our 3 daughters (3,6, & 8) and we booked one of the mid-ship one bedroom suites.

I am anxious to learn as much as I can from all of you veteran cruisers!
Old 07-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #15
MedicGoofy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanabbott View Post
I really want to book the ruins tour with Native Choice, but I'm terrified of getting back late to the ship if we do anything other than a DCL excursion. Any thoughts to alleviate my fears?

I know what you mean. I want to book outside of DCL to do one of these tours but am nervous about not making it back. Having said that, the tour seems like it would get back in enough time, and Im really thinking that a tour operator would NOT want to see guests get back late to a ship. Not good PR for their company

Let me know if you book, Im thinking of doing this as well

Jenn

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: