Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2012, 11:42 PM   #1
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Questions for past Med cruisers....

We just booked our 1st Med cruise and have so many questions/concerns.

1. Where is a good hotel to stay pre cruise? Is it better to be near the port or near the airport? Unfortunately, due to time constraints with work we won't have time to arrive extra early to tour Barcelona if that matters.

2. I'm checking out flight times on USAirways for the same week (but in 2012) to get an idea of fares & flight times. (We have ff miles we can use with them.) They have non stop red eye flights that arrive at BCN 8:25 am their time, so roughly 2:30am our time. If we flew out Thurs evening from Philly, arrive Fri am in BCN, should we get a hotel for Thurs night too? It will feel like the middle of the night when we arrive but of course our room may not be ready if we only book a Fri night hotel stay.

How did you handle that? I don't want to be sleeping in the lobby waiting for our room to be ready. If we book a Thurs night stay also, will they think we "no-showed" since we'd be checking in at 9am? I don't mind having to pay for another night of the room but I want a smooth check in and be able to go right to sleep. We wouldn't sail until the next day.

3. The latest flight going home post cruise is at 10:45am. In the past I've heard that it's doable but how early do they let you off the ship and how long of a drive is it between port & airport? Did you have to spend another night in Barcelona? With the Labor Day holiday, it would be doable if we had to but would prefer to fly right home & adjust to EDT before school starts Tuesday.

Thanks for any tips!!
Old 01-27-2012, 12:16 AM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

OK, what I have done in the past is to book DCL air now, knowing that I can cancel it up to 120 days ahead if I find better (read cheaper) flights on my own. In 2010, I found flights for about 1/2 of DCL's rate. In 2011, DCL was $350 per person less.

3. (yeah, I'm starting at the end). DCL booked us on a flight at like 10:30 or something. They had a special disembarkation both years for people with flights before 10:00. The ride to the airport is about 30 minutes. Delta had reps at the cruise terminal so you could check in luggage there if that was your airline--the line was a million miles long, and for once I was glad that my luggage had to go on the bus. The waiting line for the taxis was also a million miles long. In 2010, it took about an hour (no kidding) to get a taxi. In 2011, we were on the DCL bus--much faster.

1. Where to stay depends largely on what you want to do. We stayed near the airport--my intent was to sleep and get my body clock reset so that I'd be good for the cruise. I used a hotel that had free transportation to/from the airport, so just rode their bus back and caught the DCL shuttle to the cruise terminal. Both hotels I used had good access to public transportation and one offered limited shuttle service to downtown free. If you want to sightsee, I'd stay in town. That's also closer to the terminal.

I'd avoid the cabs if at all possible. They add fees to everything--extra fee if they go to airport or cruise terminal or both. Extra fee if it is Saturday or Sunday or before a certain time in the morning. You get the picture.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2012, 12:27 AM   #3
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post

I'd avoid the cabs if at all possible. They add fees to everything--extra fee if they go to airport or cruise terminal or both. Extra fee if it is Saturday or Sunday or before a certain time in the morning.
In many ports of Europe, if you have your hotel call for a taxi, the meter begins as soon as they get the call -- not when you and your luggage are in the cab.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
thinkoflaura
Mouseketeer

i would book the room for both nights... just email the hotel the day or two before to let them know your arrival time...

this is where we stayed pre-cruise. we arrived around 7pm the night before our cruise so had no time/intention to go into Barcelona.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...-airport-hotel

we liked it because you can get a pkg with shuttle service from the airport to the hotel and then the next day from the hotel to the port!!!

i'm not sure if their airport shuttle is 24 hours. you may want to ask.
thinkoflaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:04 AM   #5
MDTerp
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkoflaura View Post
i would book the room for both nights... just email the hotel the day or two before to let them know your arrival time...

this is where we stayed pre-cruise. we arrived around 7pm the night before our cruise so had no time/intention to go into Barcelona.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...-airport-hotel

we liked it because you can get a pkg with shuttle service from the airport to the hotel and then the next day from the hotel to the port!!!

i'm not sure if their airport shuttle is 24 hours. you may want to ask.
This is also where we stayed pre and post cruise. They even offered a shuttle to downtown (if your plans change and allow time to see dowtown Barcelona).

October 2007 - Western Caribbean - Disney Magic
September 2009 - DVC SSMC - Disney Wonder
September 2010 - DVC SSMC - Disney Wonder
July 2011 - 10-Day Mediterranean - Disney Magic
April 2012 - 5 Night Double Dip - Disney Dream
November 2012 - Bahamas - Disney Dream
March 2013 - Mexico/Castaway Cay - Disney Wonder
February 2014 - Bahamas - Disney Magic
October 2014 - 3-Day Repo Castaway Cay - Disney Magic
December 2014 - New Year's Eve - Bahamas - Disney Wonder

DVC Member Since 2007 - AKV, BLT and BWV
Trips to the World...2001, 2003, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Aulani - 2013
MDTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:20 AM   #6
tinkerbelltwins
DIS Veteran

I've got another question if you all don't mind my jumping in here. Tell me about the seating times for dinner. I usually book first seating because of the kids (they will be nine at sail time) but I'm wondering if we'd be missing lots of meals or at least getting to dinner late because of the port excursions. Should I switch to second seating?
tinkerbelltwins is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: