Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 02:12 AM   #1
DIS Veteran
blestmom's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,791

“Frosty Gets Caught Picking His Nose” Trip Report – With Photos UPDATED **Added Video

We love living in Alaska. And one of our more talented (and funny!) exports is Chad Carpenter, who draws “Tundra Comics.” My son actually credits Tundra Comics with helping him learn to read, as he would sit in the back seat of the car while we ran errands looking at Tundra Comic books over and over again when he was younger. He’s had the pleasure of meeting the author several times.

And one of my son’s favorite shirts is one with a Tundra comic on it…this one:

Day 14 - "Two very special souvenirs"

So naturally, he brought that t-shirt to Disney on our recent November 2011 trip. Wow! We were amazed at how many reactions he got to his t-shirt. Everybody loved it. We had lots of cast members comment on his shirt. One of the guy singers at the “Hoop Dee Do” broke out laughing during his song when he read the shirt. Another castmember at the Animal Kingdom turnstyles was crying he was laughing so hard, and he came and put his arm around my son and thanked him for making him laugh. And another castmember said it was the ‘t-shirt of the day’…LOL! Seriously, he got so many comments on his shirt we couldn’t possibly keep count.

All of this is relevant because

I couldn’t come up with a catchy, clever name for my trip report, so this was the best I could do.
And with that out of the way…on with the trip report.


Me (Mom)

Sierra (15)

Andrew (13)

This trip consists of me and my two youngest children. My two oldest boys are in college, and my oldest daughter is too busy with dance to make the trip. This is the second time just the three of us have gone. And we have a nice, long trip planned…2 weeks.


** Click here to see a 2-minute video summary of our trip to the Magic Kingdom.
** Click here to see a 2-minute video summary of our trip to Epcot.
** Click here to see a 3-minute video summary of our trip to Hollywood Studios.
** Click here to see a 3-minute video summary of our trip to Animal Kingdom.

Day 2: Front row seats…and Ohana, too
Day 3: Mmm...Food and Wine Festival
Day 4: "Alaska Needs a Dine-In Theater"
Day 5: “The Magic Kingdom all to ourselves…almost”
Day 6: "Wow...that a LOT of food."
Day 7: "I'm All Out of Love"...UGH!
Day 8 - "No ma'am...there's no pink in that hamburger"
Day 9 - "The DIS boards are a good place to make new friends"
Day 10 – “Finally! We do the Hoop De Doo!”
Day 11 - "Yay me! I rode Tower of Terror!"
Day 12 - "My favorite day...Everest 12 times and the Magic Kingdom until 3 a.m."
Day 13 - "No Tonga Toast for me"
Day 14 - "Two very special souvenirs"
Day 15 - "Wow...it's HOT!"
Day 16 - "Until next year...and some lessons learned"

Last edited by blestmom; 01-07-2012 at 03:30 AM.
blestmom is offline  
Old 12-04-2011, 02:31 AM   #2
DIS Veteran
blestmom's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,791

Day 1:

Our frequent flyer flights are at some pretty tough times on the way out. Our flight out leaves Anchorage at 6:03 a.m. That means getting to the airport by 4:00 a.m. Which means leaving home at 2:00 a.m. My plan was to be all prepared and take a nap in the afternoon after church. Well, it was a good plan, but it didn’t end up happening. So by the time we do get to the airport, I’m pretty tired.

Anchorage airport:

At the Minneapolis airport, we had a two-hour layover. After having something to eat, Sierra played a Nancy Drew game on her computer, Andrew watched “Dirty Jobs” on his computer, and I watched “Hogan’s Heroes.” All-in-all, a very relaxing layover.

And I got a mocha...yeah! I love coffee. I'm going to miss my Kaladi's for the next two weeks...it's the best coffee in Alaska.

The flight from Minneapolis to Atlanta went fine, and I was thankful for my Kindle. In Atlanta, we had another layover. We watched the Chiefs/Chargers NFL game on the airport t.v. The last flight went well, and once at the Orlando airport, we quickly claimed our luggage, and headed over to the Magical Express counter. We were the only ones on the bus…which didn’t surprise me, being almost 1 a.m. in the morning.

We got to Pop Century around 2:00 a.m. A cast member named “Sherry” checked us in…a very sweet girl. They originally had us put in the 70’s building. I asked her if there was anything available in the 50’s building. At first she asked if first floor was okay, but I asked her if there was anything else possible. We ended up with a 3rd floor, corner room facing the pool! Wow. That was so great.

We got in, and even though we were tired, we were so excited to unpack. Finally, about 4:00 a.m. we went to bed. What a great day!
blestmom is offline  
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-04-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
DIS Veteran
blestmom's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,791


We were pretty tired after flying all night, and missing an entire night’s sleep. I got up, however, around 7:30 and called the person in the DIS Pop refrigerator swap before me. I got the refrigerator, and hooked it up. Then, I went back to bed. We slept until noon.

We got up and went down to the Pop Century food court to buy our refillable mugs. After that, we headed on over to the Magic Kingdom. We first went to Guest Relations and got our Annual Passes, a Tables of Wonderland card, and our tickets to Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party. And into the Magic Kingdom we went!

As tradition has it, we went to “Pirates of the Caribbean” first. That ride always tells me, “We’re at Disney World!” We also rode Snow White, Space Mountain (twice),

Peter Pan, Small World, Tea Cups,

Big Thunder, and the Tomorrowland Transit Authority. ALL were walk-ons…even Peter Pan, which we went on at the very end.

We got Casey’s corn dog nuggets for dinner...which is something we had been really looking forward to...we love those!

We watched classic Disney cartoons in Casey’s while we ate. We also got two cream cheese pretzels to share.

MMmmm! One of my favorite snacks by far were the glazed almonds and pecans. Oh my…they are delicious.

While waiting for the parade to start, we saw this talented castmember 'drawing' Disney characters with water. Pretty cool.

Although we had been given party bags for the trick or treat candy, we realized soon that they were not going to be big enough. We got so much candy, we had to get a large shopping bag. And we filled every inch of it with candy…they were scooping it out by the handful. We ended up with 14 lbs. of candy.

We watched the party fireworks from Liberty Square, as I wanted a good place for the MNSSHP parade. It ended up being a fantastic place…I got a great video shot of the headless horseman, and it was a great place for the entire parade. We loved the parade!

On the way out, we stopped by and got ice cream, so we could wait for the crowds to take the busses back to the resort, and we could ride with less crowds.

Next up: Day 2: Front row seats…and Ohana, too
blestmom is offline  
Old 12-04-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
DIS Veteran
blestmom's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,791

Day Two: Front row seats…and Ohana, too

We are still catching up on sleep, so we slept in once again, since we were up late at the MNSSHP party until midnight, and not back at the hotel until after 1 a.m. We got up and after getting ready, we went over to Hollywood Studios.

Since we were getting there later in the day, the headliner rides were all pretty full up, and we were too late for shows, so we just did some other rides. We rode the “Great Movie Ride” as it is Sierra’s favorite ride.

We got to sit in the front row. We also rode the “Backlot Tour,” and the new “Star Tours.” We grabbed a snack at Starring Rolls on our way out.

We had a dinner reservation at Ohana at the Polynesian at 6:30. We had time at the Magic Kingdom for a few rides before dinner. We rode “Pirates of the Caribbean” and got to sit in the front row. We also rode “Jungle Cruise.” Then it was time for dinner, so we took the monorail over to the Polynesian. We had a great dinner….I have always wanted to try it. We really liked it. Sierra and I really liked the sides (bread, salad, chicken wings, pot stickers, broccoli and sesame noodles) and Andrew really liked the meat.

We all thought the bananas foster with caramel sauce was outstanding. It was really a great meal. We headed back to Pop Century. Andrew went swimming, and then we all got a very good night’s sleep.

Next up: Day 3: Mmm…Food and Wine Festival

Last edited by blestmom; 12-05-2011 at 01:29 AM.
blestmom is offline  
Old 12-05-2011, 01:47 AM   #5
DIS Veteran
blestmom's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,791

Day 3: Mmm…Food and Wine Festival

Today we got up a little earlier, even though we are still trying to get caught up on sleep. We started our day at Animal Kingdom. We rode Expedition: Everest twice in a row. Such a great ride. Then we rode Kilimanjaro Safari.

We walked the Pangani Forest trail after that, and saw the cutest meerkats,

and also a silverback gorilla,

and a baby gorilla.

So cute. We then rode Dinosaur, and then went to have Picnic in the Park. We took the food to Flame Tree Barbecue to eat. It was great.

After that, we headed over to Epcot to enjoy the Food and Wine Festival. First we did some things in the Future World section. We rode Spaceship Earth, got Fastpasses for Soarin, and then rode “Living With the Land”…front row. Then we went to ride Test Track. It had been down for repair, and so it took a while to wait in line while they got caught up on Fastpasses. Other rides were walk-ons. After that, we rode Ellen’s Universe of Energy (front row), rode Soarin’ then headed on over to the Food and Wine Festival.

We got a wrist band gift card to make getting the food samples easier. Sierra and I tried the cheddar cheese soup from Canada, Andrew tried the salmon from Canada. We all tried the milk chocolate crème brulee from France.

Sierra tried the chocolate molten lava cake from Ireland. We all tried the ravioli from Italy.

Andrew tried the sausage roll from Germany. We then headed back to the Future World section to spend some time until the Illuminations fireworks. We rode Spaceship Earth again. We also rode the Norway boat ride, and the Mexico boat ride. Then we went to the French bakery. Sierra got a chocolate croissant, Andrew got the crème brulee, and I got the lemon tart.

Then we went over by Italy to watch “Illuminations.” Excellent, as always.

Next up: Day 4 - "Alaska Needs a Dine-In Theater"
blestmom is offline  
Old 12-05-2011, 06:38 AM   #6
mrtoffee's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 334

Im in
I have started to collect a few cocktail recipes on my blog "Mrtoffee's Compendium of Magical Elixirs" and though I would share them with all you lovely guys and gals here on the DIS
mrtoffee is offline  
Old 12-08-2011, 03:27 AM   #8
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 95

sounds like you had a blast so far.
Annal606 is offline  
Old 12-08-2011, 06:38 AM   #9
DIS Veteran
ChattaAlley's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 788

Your photos are awesome!!!!

With a little bit of PixieDust anything is possible . . .

ChattaAlley is offline  
Old 12-14-2011, 06:17 PM   #10
DIS Veteran
blestmom's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,791

Gosh...this is starting to be a trend.

While writing my trip report from 2 years ago, right in the middle, my hard drive crashed. I can't believe it but...it's happening again...with the laptop I got to replace the other one.

At least I was wise enough to back up info and get the extended warranty!
blestmom is offline  
Old 12-17-2011, 03:29 PM   #11
DIS Veteran
blestmom's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,791

Day 6 - "Wow...that a LOT of food."

Another late night means another day of sleeping in. I got up at 10, and got the kids up at 11. We headed over to the Magic Kingdom for a lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern. It is a gorgeous restaurant, and the food portions were gigantic. None of us could finish our meals. The food, however, was excellent.

Before we went to lunch we had time for TTA and Monsters Laugh Floor.

After lunch, we headed over to Hollywood Studios. Getting there late after eating, we opted out of the big rides…we started with the Great Movie Ride, then we went to see “Beauty and the Beast.” Excellent, as always.

Then we went to watch the movie portion of the Animation Academy, got some snacks (almonds, popcorn, cotton candy and sodas) and headed over to watch Fantasmic. It was a great show and we had great seats…just the line is so huge to get in.

We were still pretty tired from the super late night last night, so we headed back to Pop Century when Hollywood Studios closed, watched some t.v. and worked on photos. A good night’s sleep sounds great.

Next up: Day 7 - "I'm All Out of Love"...UGH!
blestmom is offline  

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: