Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
sstewart
Earning My Ears

Day before Disney Rituals

What is your "Day before Disney ritual"? We all have one! I thought it would be fun to share what you do on the day before, a day filled with excitement and anticipation!
sstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
Blackbeltdisneygirl
Disney obsessed and proud of it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstewart View Post
What is your "Day before Disney ritual"? We all have one! I thought it would be fun to share what you do on the day before, a day filled with excitement and anticipation!
Well...There's the obvious:
*Put the finishing touches on the suitcases and line them all up in the hallway. Also check all luggage tags to make sure each bag has one.
*Take the dog to the sitter's house.
*Make sure all laundry is caught up.
*Check in for flight online and print boarding passes.
*Double check all itinerary and reservations.
*Set out everyone's travel outfits down to the socks, shoes, and undies.
*Get out everyone's ears or Goofy hat (as is the case with my son) because it is required that everyone wear them for the flight.
*Make everyone shower so we don't have to rush in the morning.
*Double check lists for items we need to pack last minute, and make a new list of things we need to use till the last second and need to be packed in the morning.
*Check and check again that all gift cards, ID's, money, boarding passes, etc...are all with the luggage. Then check again.
*Shave legs.
*Check with the girls and make sure they have shaved their legs too, so they don't try and do it in the morning.

I guess we don't have any fun rituals for the night before. We just have to make sure everything is ready for the next day. It's tricky with 7 in my immediate family and 12 total with my extended family. I am always in charge of planning and packing and such, so I have to be really organized to get us through security with lots of kids and not enough adult hands to get us through quickly. This year we will have 14 to get through, and next year probably 16! Pretty soon we will take up the whole plane! One year the hubby shoved a bunch of bottled water into the bags last minute without me knowing, and of course security stopped us. What was he thinking? Between the 5 adults that usually go with us, we have 2 c-paps and one auto-pap machine, plus my daughter has a nebulizer, so we have to pack up a lot in the morning since we sleep with the c and auto-pap machines, and then we have to unpack them for security, and repack them while other people are trying to squeeze through security! Anyway, I sort of went off subject there. My point is that usually my night before is a bit stressed as I am trying to make sure nothing is forgotten. We don't do anything magical but get ready I guess.

2010: POR 7 days, 2011 split stay: POR 4 days CSR 7 days, 2012: CBR 12 days, 2013: POR 9 days, 2014: 12-14 days AoA???

Last edited by Blackbeltdisneygirl; 11-26-2011 at 07:02 PM. Reason: subscribing
Blackbeltdisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-28-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
Mrs K
Mouseketeer

We drive from MA, so the day before I pack the car! Everything has it's place. I clean the house, get my mani/pedi and we "try" to sleep for a few hours. We are up and on the road by 4am! It makes me excited just thinking about it!

Dixilandings 1994
Poly 1997,'98,'99,'01,'02,'03,'04,'06,'07,'09
Grand Floridian July 2011, Back to the Poly June 2013, Trying the Beach Club March 2014
Mrs K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
mreid1974
Mouseketeer

I guess our only true ritual would be staying at a hotel near the airport the night before we fly. And we always go to the Papa Gino's around the corner. Its like starting our vacation a day early.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:25 AM   #5
Blackbeltdisneygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs K View Post
We drive from MA, so the day before I pack the car! Everything has it's place. I clean the house, get my mani/pedi and we "try" to sleep for a few hours. We are up and on the road by 4am! It makes me excited just thinking about it!
Yeah, I guess my rituals may have to change if we decide to drive. We are weighing our options. We may weigh them for a while b/c they only way I'm flying this time is if it is really cheap. We usually pay about $3,000 for our immediate family of 7. I have a new house and would like to pay it off in less than 10 years, so I don't want to keep shelling out that kind of money when it would cost us about $1,000 for two weeks of van rental including gas, but not hotel. If we do decide to drive, my rituals will be pretty close to yours!

2010: POR 7 days, 2011 split stay: POR 4 days CSR 7 days, 2012: CBR 12 days, 2013: POR 9 days, 2014: 12-14 days AoA???
Old 12-12-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
Blackbeltdisneygirl

OOh!!! I have a new one! If we decide to fly this time, which we are leaning that way, we will probably fly out of a city that's two hours away. If we do that, we will probably drive there the day before, and stay at a hotel. That way we can be close to the airport!

Old 12-13-2011, 09:30 AM   #7
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Rituals for us are just about the same each trip....

I'm packed completely at least 2 weeks out......we catch the train at 1:30 am and the only thing to do that day is to pack our lunches and load the goody bag......nothing really special we do...we know we're boarding the train in the am, going to sit back and completely relax and catch so sleep before sunup......we get alot of excitement and enjoyment by riding the rails and a chance to completely unwind for everyday life and to get ready for a fun stay at WDW......

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
CamoMama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeltdisneygirl View Post
OOh!!! I have a new one! If we decide to fly this time, which we are leaning that way, we will probably fly out of a city that's two hours away. If we do that, we will probably drive there the day before, and stay at a hotel. That way we can be close to the airport!
We're doing exactly that. Our flight leave Sacramento a little after 6am, and I do not want to have to get up at 2am in order to be there by 5. We're staying at a hotel with a shuttle, which also currently has a deal allowing guests to leave their cars in the secured hotel lot during their vacation, up to 14 days. Way less expensive than airport parking, and less stress letting the hotel shuttle drivers worry about navigating the airport. We'll also be spending the night that we return at the hotel as our flight gets in after 11pm and I will not want to drive after losing 3 hours to the time change.

Feb/Mar 2014 - DLR Diva Trip - GCH
Feb/Mar 2013 - DLR Diva Trip - HoJo's
July 2012 - DLR - Anaheim Carriage Inn (never again)
May 2012 - DLR - Motel 6 ~ Read my solo trip report here!
February 2012 - CBR
July 2010 - DLR - Embassy Suites
1978-1990 - DLR - multiple trips, all offsite
CamoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:48 AM   #9
LovesTimone
DIS Veteran

Double checking "the LIST" ..... I start packing a week out, double checking the weather, getting the theme park box out and checking what needs to be replaced and what's good to go.
All the suitcases are line up and open on the guest room bed.
I go shopping, making sure that I have everything that we need and I mean everything for everyone.

The night before I check everyone suitcase, which is a must! one year my youngest DD ( 15 at the time) packed 2 pairs of shorts and 15 shirts.

We get take out for dinner and watch a disney movie, then to bed.

Now that my family is grown-up... I will still make everyone come to our house and I will do the suitcases check...
LovesTimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:27 AM   #10
disneydiva72
Earning My Ears

My day before ritual is to usually freak out because I hate to fly and my husband insists on flying.

My Work =

Everything in Between =
disneydiva72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:55 AM   #11
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

We catch the 1st NS flight out of PIT on SWA which is a crack of dawn affair. I make sure to pop a couple of benedryl the night before to get a few hours of sleep otherwise I'm tossing & turning like a kid the night before Christmas .

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:59 AM   #12
Ms.Minnie
Earning My Ears

Hi, my next Disney trip is 21 days away! I can't wait! I pretty much do all the same things everyone else does but I also change my bedsheets the day before to my Disney sheets. I have a set of sheets with the whole gang on them, it makes me happy to have them on my bed the day before and it's the only time of year they get used.
Ms.Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #13
phoebezoemamma
Earning My Ears

packing ritual

I'm taking notes from all the tips on what to take and the night before rituals! Getting ready to go on 1/20/12!!
phoebezoemamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #14
Michigan_Minnie
Disney Darling

We do the same as pretty much all of you. We usually pack the car just before going to the airport since DH is not wanting our liquids to freeze. We usually leave the house at 4am. This past February we overslept and DH didnt lock the back door. My MIL was going too and came in and woke us up. As we were getting ready 2 drunk guys barged in (so scary to say the least). In the hurry to get out we forgot our stroller so had to rent one. This February we will pack everything the night before and lock up!
2008 February @ Beach Club
2009 February @ ASMu Family Suite
2010 February @ ASMo
2010 October....MNSSHP
2011 February @ POR
2012 February @POR FQ
2014 February @ Pop Century

[
Michigan_Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #15
muguet27
Mouseketeer

I am always dying of excitement the day before leaving so I try to keep myself busy to make the time go by faster. I put off packing until that evening specifically so I'm focusing on that and not how slowly the minutes are ticking by. I run around like a chicken with my head cut off, but it works for me! I've not forgotten anything yet *knock on wood*.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: