Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
DrPierreMcDuck
Mouseketeer

Has the quality of Disney's TV programming declined?

Is it just me or are the shows put out by Disney these days lacking in quality? I understand that the programs are geared towards children, but if you look at Disney's output on TV in days gone by, you will find intelligent family programming. From the old cartoons and specials to the more recent "Disney Afternoon" shows, Disney created content that could be enjoyed by both young and old. I have watched some of the modern shows on the Disney Channel and found them to be almost unwatchable. Bad acting, puerile humor, and plots without substance. Am I alone in this opinion? Are there shows out there that are decent?
DrPierreMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
Starscream275
Mouseketeer

Oh trust me your not alone on this one it's been like this for years now. It seems the only good things to come out of Disney nowadays are it's movies and theme parks and like you I hunger for better programming on both channels atleast.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-22-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

Hmmmm, I agree. The Disney Channel isn't what it used to be. Shake it up is the worst programme ever! I wish they would bring back the old Disney cartoons a bit more.

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
DZNEE4US
Mouseketeer

With the exception of Phineas and Ferb, there isn't anything good on outside of Disney Junior.
I REALLY HATE Third and Bird. It is SO ANNOYING. I understand it was made by the same guy as The Wonderpets from Nickelodeon- and that may explain it all!
Their "teen aged girl" shows are so lame. I am tired of them shoving Good Luck Charlie down our throats!! Enough already! And now they're going to have another baby?? Are they "jumping the shark" already??
DZNEE4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:14 PM   #5
belledreamer
Hello Sweetie... <3
Nothing like reaching a goal to keep you motivated!

I completely agree. With the exception of Phineas and Ferb and Imagination Movers, I don't watch Disney much anymore.

And there used to be some really great shows, especially for the younger set: Out of the Box, PB&J, Rollie Pollie Ollie, Katie and Orbie, etc. I watched these shows even into my teens and really liked them. Even the Doodlebops and the Wiggles weren't bad.

But shows like Hannah Montana, Jessie, Shake It Up and the like have made me lose all hope for Disney programming. Even doing these "short version" of classic Disney cartoons were one of the worse things they could have done. What I wouldn't give for an hour of the full length cartoons...
belledreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #6
st4rrab0vemybed
Mouseketeer

I didn't watch Disney channel back in the day, so I have no idea how the shows were, except the ocassional Lizzie Maguire. However, with that being said, I actually enjoy watching Good Luck Charlie. Don't get me wrong, the show has it's cheesy moments, but it's also very funny and cute. Hannah Montana was pretty good too, and I miss it. Oh well, different strokes for different folks ...
st4rrab0vemybed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
Ron from Michigan
DIS Veteran

Our 5 yearold Grandson is the only reason the Disney channel is ever watched in our house. It was such a great channel back in the 80's when it first started.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
Ppufi
Care Bear at Heart

I might be biased, but I feel the programming Disney showed when I was young. I liked virtually every show and movie they played. I think one of the best things was that a lot of shows were gender/age neutral. The whole family could not only enjoy but be entertained by their stuff.

A list of my TV show favorites (it's long!):
Kim Possible
Even Stevens
Lizzie McGuire
So Weird
My Little Pony Tales
That's So Raven
Bug Juice
Braceface
Sister, Sister
Boy Meets World
American Dragon: Jake Long

Gosh I'm probably forgetting things...everything was just so good. If you haven't watched So Weird, Youtube it. The first two seasons are amazing.

Imagine it, Create it.
Ppufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #9
BellesFavoriteBook
With a Dreamy Far off Look and her nose stuck in a BOOK....

yes, the programming has declined tremendously. Ever since High School Musical and Hannah Montana, disney thinks that shows MUST be all about singing or dancing. With the exception of Good Luck Charlie and Phineas and Ferb, there really isn't much I like on Disney Channel anymore. I think JESSIE has potential, as long as it stays away from singing and dancing. A.N.T. Farm would have been cooler as a cartoon....with everyone as ANTS! I can't stand Shake it Up! I've watched Ally and Austin show....but I don't like the constant....'she can't hold a job'/'new job of the week' thing with the character named Trish. That will get OLD fast! On ANT Farm, they yet again created a sterotyped male character that lives with his mother/grandmother/other relative......just like Arwin on Suite Life and that teacher from Hannah Montana's first season (the one that went on to be on the show I'm in the Band). I can't stand Gibson and hope they replace him with an intelligent character....maybe a female?

Will I find Meeko on this trip?
BellesFavoriteBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #10
carbatonic
Earning My Ears

I don't know about anyone else, but I miss the days of animation being more prevalent on Disney Channel. Once they stopped showing cartoons on TOON disney, I knew it was all over
carbatonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:53 PM   #11
Kylie90210
Earning My Ears

I'd really love if Disney created an old school channel and played all the old shows... It would be so cheap for them, but get so much viewing!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #12
Atlas722
Mouseketeer

Definite decline in quality.
Atlas722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:58 AM   #13
sheranudeep
Earning My Ears

Its time Disney start channel by name Disney Classic showing all the old programs .
Old 03-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #14
aidansmommy
Mouseketeer

Although I love P & F and can tolerate most shows on Disney Junior, I agree! I loved Pooh's Corner and does anyone remember "Under the Umbrella Tree"? That's one that I loved!

Me:: The Hub ds(7years) dd(4years) (Sulley)(Bolt) (Beaker) (the three mouse-cat-eers)(R.I.P. Ludo 3/13/12)
aidansmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #15
BelleBriarRose
Mouseketeer

I fully support the "Disney Classic" idea. It seems like a logical expansion, a great option for Disney fans who want to stick with the classic programming. But then, who would watch the new Disney Channel? Still, a Disney Classic channel would hit the spot for classic Disney fans!
BelleBriarRose is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: