Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
stephielela
DIS Veteran

"Step right up and come on in! Here is where the fun begins!"

Hola Everyone!!! Welcome to another installment of the Many Adventures of Mommy and Jack! This story will be about our WONDER-ful vacation aboard the Disney Wonder! Be prepared for plenty of pictures and many details of our 7 night cruise and one day Disneyland Extravaganza!

Here we are, me (mommy) :

and he (Jack- DS3):

You'd have a face like Jack's if your mommy looked like that too! I only look like that on travel days Just kidding, I was getting my hair done for a friends wedding, I just thought it would be entertaining!

So to set the scene, our Mexican Riveiera cruise was Oct 30-Nov 6 out of LA and we were spending a night at Disneyland before coming home. I worked 9 days in row prior to my vacation, and things got a bit hectic towards the end. Needless to say, this was a much needed vacation. Here is the PTR Up next, traveling day!

Last edited by stephielela; 11-09-2011 at 12:25 PM.
stephielela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
stephielela
DIS Veteran

Traveling Day
Getting to the Boat!
Getting on the boat!

Our Room!
Meet and greet, sailaway, dinner...
Day 1, the end!

Day 2.1
Day 2.2
Day 3.1
Day 3.2
Day 4.1
Day 4.2
Day 4.3
Day 5.1
Day 5.2
Day 5.3
Day 6.1
Day 6.2
Day 6.3
Day 7.1
Day 7.2
Day 7.3
The end- part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Heading Home
Final Thoughts

Last edited by stephielela; 01-01-2012 at 08:31 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-09-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
stephielela
DIS Veteran

We had free flights through Southwest since we have been flying a lot the past couple of years, so that was a major selling point since airfare to CA (we live in Kansas City) is usually pretty pricey. I took the risk and booked us on flights the morning of our departure day. Typically I wouldn't risk that, but with the time change and the good weather forecast, I decided to cut out the expense of a hotel the night before the cruise and go same day.

Our flight left at 7 am, and we thankfully live only a few minutes from the airport so my dad being the kind and generous soul he is dropped us off at 6 am, which meant I was up at 5:15 to get dressed and walk the dog.

I managed to get all our stuff in 2 suitcases (at 48 pounds each) and 3 carry ons, so we were set. We did curbside check in and and breezed through security. Turns out they don't make little kids take off their shoes to go through security! This was a relief becuase for some reason this really upsets Jack.

Soon we were sitting calmly, drinking chocolate milk, and waiting to board!

Our plane:

Carry ons:

I borrowed the Baggalini from my mom. It ended up being attached to me most of the trip...

Soon we were on the plane!!!

Mickey decided to join us for our Halloween getaway!

Jack had a cookie for breakfast while watching the Thanksgiving episode of Charlie Brown:

We had a layover in Denver:

We got into LAX a few minutes early!! We were scheduled to arrive at 10:10 but we were off the plane before 10 am! I was so glad we decided to risk the same day flight! Saving that $100 was worth it in this instance

Last edited by stephielela; 11-11-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
Dream426
Love Disney!!

YAY!! Glad to see you started. Your son is so adorable. Can't wait to read more.

Gianna's First of Many WDW Trips March 2013!! PTR

Gianna and Sophia's First Trip to Disney World September 2014 PTR!!

Dream426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Ok, I haven't read far...but I just have to say I LOVE that picture of you. Are you submitting that for Michelle to use?
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #7
stephielela
DIS Veteran

TR title!

By the way, I will explaing (later) where the title for my TR came from, but if anyone guesses it, you will be rewarded with many dancing bananas and my sheer amazement!
Old 11-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #8
DisneyBoundinDec
DIS Veteran

I'm in!

Love your hair do!!!
DisneyBoundinDec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #9
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephielela View Post
By the way, I will explaing (later) where the title for my TR came from, but if anyone guesses it, you will be rewarded with many dancing bananas and my sheer amazement!
It sounds like the song from Disney Afternoon, but I could be way off.

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #10
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
It sounds like the song from Disney Afternoon, but I could be way off.
I think you're right. I cheated and googled it, and that's how the Theme from Disney Afternoon begins.

I was thinking she was an Emerson, Lake and Palmer fan with the tune "Come on see the show", but I think you've got it.
Alison ~~~~ A Haunting, plundering, and Fiesta Caliente | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:51 PM   #11
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

Great start to your trip! I would have done the same thing and flown out the same day esp with the time zone difference. Can't wait to see the ship!

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney
heaven2dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:59 PM   #12
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

Great start to your trip! I would have done the same thing and flown out the same day esp with the time zone difference. Can't wait to see the ship!

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney
heaven2dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #13
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland

Following along!
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #14
stephielela
DIS Veteran

The Disney Wonder Welcomes the Coon Family!

Ok, when I left off a while back, it was our turn to get on board! So first you show your boading pass and Key to the World cards to a cast member. At this point they decided they didn't like Jack's picture so they redid it. Then we went through the doors to the tunnel thing. I guess it would be called the gangway? I don't know. Regardless, you stop first to get your welcome aboard photo taken. Some people just bypassed this, but I was hoping it would be a good shot. It wasn't. So then we continue on the gangway and I am getting more and more excited! I took some quick pictures of the side of the ship to illustrate the differences in the size of portholes for future reference.

So once you approach the entrance of the ship, there are crew members there who ask your family name. Then they announce you as you walk across the lobby and everyone claps. How awesome is that???? So the lobby is on the third deck midship. They funnel you through the lobby and guest services in on the right. I didn't have any reason to stop so we followed the traffic, which leads you to the aft part of the third deck where Parrot Cay is located. The lunch options were Parrot Cay or Beach Blanket Buffet on 9. We decided to eat out in the California sunshine so we hopped on an elevator to deck 9. There were cast members there handing out sanitizing wipes before you entered the buffet. We picked a line and were handed trays and silverware. I was pleasnatly surprised to see that they have different trays for kids, they are the kind most of us had in school with lots of different sections. This came in handy because soemtimes Jack can be picky about his food touching, and sometimes he wants things that definitely do NOT go together. Plus he made it his mission to get something in each section! The lunch buffet was relatively impressive and there were plenty of yummy options. Once we were ready to head outside a CM appeared out of nowhere to help me out with our trays! I was so happy because balance is not my strong suit... We made it outside and found a nice table to sit at and soak in the atmoshpere.

Jack had Mac and Cheese, chicken and 2 types of bread along with pink lemonade

I also had 2 types of bread (he gets his love of carbs from me obviously), a tomato and mozzarella mini sandwich, chicken and gherkin salad with what appears to be Sprite. I am not sure what was wrong with me, I don't ever drink Sprite. Oh well.

As we were eating I noticed one of my favorite people on ships, the man with a tray full of drinks!! Now let me clarify from the beginning, I am not a heavy drinker. I do however enjoy "boat drinks" which to me are drinks, usually fruity in nature, that are served in excess on cruise ships. It's really one of my favorite part of cruises because how often am I going to go to a bar and order a Bahama Mama? Never. But on a boat, it's the natural thing to do. So the wonderful man with the drinks notices my excitement and came over. He informed me that the Drink of the Day was in fact a Bahama Mama. I asked the most important question of "How much?" to which he replied that the first drink is $7.50 but I keep the cup and then every drink of the day for the REST OF THE CRUISE would be $4.50. (All prices are before the 15% automatic gratuity and tax). This was a fantastic offer, too good to be true, and one that I would most certainly be taking advantage of!

Now I was really on vacation.

Soon we finished lunch. Jack said he wanted ice cream for dessert, but we couldn't find it so he ended up with a plate of desserts instead:

Once we finished dessert it was still way too early to get into our room. We went to check out the Oceaneer's Club next and Jack was excited about the slide. He played for a few minutes.

We explored a bit, took a tour of the spa where I got to see the beautiful Rainforest Room where I planned on spending some time later on. Then we wandered inside and ran into our first princess!

We hadn't purchased our autograph book yet because the stores have to stay closed until we are out of port, so no autograph.

Then we continued walking around the ship aimlessly. We found the ice cream, and I found another man with Bahama Mama's. I signed the reciept and was pleased to discover the drinks are only $4.89 after all extra fees!

We went to sit in the buffet so Jack could eat his ice cream, and I took note of this brochure for my parents and future clients, as I am not a wine drinker.

As I finished taking pictures, an annoucement was made that rooms were ready!!!

Last edited by stephielela; 11-17-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:54 PM   #15
acpalmer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephielela View Post
I asked the most important question of "How much?" to which he replied that the first drink is $7.50 but I keep the cup and then every drink of the day for the REST OF THE CRUISE would be $4.50. (All prices are before the 15% automatic gratuity and tax). This was a fantastic offer, too good to be true, and one that I would most certainly be taking advantage of!
Can I ask a clarifying question about this? How do they know that you have purchased the glass in order to give you the discount on future drinks? Do you have to carry that glass around with you the entire cruise? I'm not sure I'm super excited about that prospect, although I do love me a good discount.

Thanks!

acpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: