Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #1
Happydog
DIS Veteran

I'm giving up Black Friday for a Disney Cruise! A DCL PTR/TR - 1/28 NEW PTR!!!

Hi there everyone!!!! I am Happy Dog, a Disney fan from head to toe, or tail if you consider my DIS name!!

This won't be our first cruise, but it will be our first week-long cruise with our children! The second Disney cruise for them, but the fifth Disney cruise for DH and I. We are celebrating THANKSGIVING aboard the MAGIC! So please join us as we count down, just TWENTY-FIVE days away , to our MAGICal Thanksgiving Vacation!!!

As this PTR/TR title suggests, I have given up my long-standing tradition of BLACK FRIDAY shopping to go on this cruise.

I know, I know, small price to pay, but I am a creature of habit and tradition, and darn it, I LIKE my Black Friday shopping extravaganzas!!! Never mind that I don't really do that much shopping... Yes, I admit, I am the person who gets up at the crack of dawn, well BEFORE dawn, right? Puts on her uggs, a baseball cap, and armed with coffee and the ads from the newspaper, heads out to battle the crowds, long lines, and crazy people. MOSTLY because I really just like going, and it puts me in the Christmas Spirit. Well, okay, it GETS me into the spirit. It signals the official start to Christmas for me! And darn it, if all I come back with are my 99 cent poinsettias from Home Depot, so what!? It was fun!!! Okay, I usually buy more, but you know that woman in the Target commercials? Yeah, well that is me. Well almost, but practically, me.

When my DH started thinking about this cruise and told me about it, I had a moment of panic when I realized I would be missing this day... OF course I quickly came to my senses, and am bursting with excitement to be back on a Disney cruise, but I will be twitching in my sleep, I guarantee it, come the morning after Thanksgiving!

SO, just by way of introductions, let me tell you that joining my DH and our two children will be my DMIL and DFIL. THIS will make it also very interesting.... Frankly, I hope I survive that, to be honest, never mind Black Friday withdrawl... No seriously, I love my inlaws. Yes, yes, I do, and it will be a great vacation to have them with us. I know they are going to have a great time!

I don't have a photo of them, but here is DH and I from this summer....

It is actually a photo of the Palo's Dinner picture I purchased, hence the glare... I know that is lame, but I didn't have many photos of us as a couple from that cruise, something I have to rectify this cruise!!!

And then here are our little boys, DS6 and DS9...

As devilish as they are cute.

DH, the kidlets, and I were on a five-night double CCay cruise on the Disney Dream this past summer. You can read about it on the PTR or TR that I am wrapping up. All those links are in my signature!! DH and I have been on Disney cruises solo as well, and have not been on the Magic since 2000! So it will be fun to go back on one of the classic ships after being on the Dream. I have already done some pre-cruise shopping, planning, and plotting! Made some reservations on-board, and I am really looking forward to our vacation! I hope that you will join us for this countdown to Turkey Day!!!

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR
MY MAGICal Black Friday Thanksgiving Cruise - Nov '11 PTR/TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani * February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '12 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * July '13 AKV - Jambo * Sept '13 - AOA * Oct '13 - F & W SSR * Jan '14 AKV - Kidani * June '14 - BLT * August '14 Aulani * Halloween '14 Disney Wonder 5 night cruise * January '15 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * April '15 Disneyland resort *

Last edited by Happydog; 01-28-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Happydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:56 AM   #2
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

I'm here! I laughed out loud when I saw your title -- it is so you!!! I would offer to do Black Friday in your stead, but you know I can't handle that! I will be thinking of you while we put up the Christmas tree and drinking Peppermint Mochas from Starbucks the day after Thanksgiving.

Hey, maybe they have Black Friday shopping deals on the boat...

Seriously, you are going to have a GREAT time!!! I am excited to be here for all the fun and planning!!!
Charleston Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-24-2011, 09:29 PM   #3
wigdoutdismom
DIS Veteran

Just read that you started this! I will get to looking for a certain pirate head piece for you!
Old 10-25-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

I'm in! I'd much rather cruise than deal with holiday shopping!

Jill in CO
Old 10-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #5
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
I'm here! I laughed out loud when I saw your title -- it is so you!!! I would offer to do Black Friday in your stead, but you know I can't handle that! I will be thinking of you while we put up the Christmas tree and drinking Peppermint Mochas from Starbucks the day after Thanksgiving.

Hey, maybe they have Black Friday shopping deals on the boat...

Seriously, you are going to have a GREAT time!!! I am excited to be here for all the fun and planning!!!
Oh you are going to have a great Thanksgiving too! That peppermint mocha/tree trimming would be my plan, you know it!!!

Oh I know, it is all tounge and cheek of course!!! LOL!! I have heard they do have holiday deals on the boat, so who knows!!! I better have a tan when this week is out, that is all I can say!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigdoutdismom View Post
Just read that you started this! I will get to looking for a certain pirate head piece for you!

HELLO!! I am so glad you found me, b/c I have not made the link yet!!!!

Yes, that would be great!!!! Thank you Ms. Anita!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
I'm in! I'd much rather cruise than deal with holiday shopping!

Jill in CO
GREAT!!!! Well, secretly, me too!!!

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani * February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '12 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * July '13 AKV - Jambo * Sept '13 - AOA * Oct '13 - F & W SSR * Jan '14 AKV - Kidani * June '14 - BLT * August '14 Aulani * Halloween '14 Disney Wonder 5 night cruise * January '15 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * April '15 Disneyland resort *
Old 10-26-2011, 09:15 AM   #6
jeremysdisneymom
DIS Veteran

I'm here! Can't wait to read all about it.

jeremysdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:09 PM   #7
wigdoutdismom
DIS Veteran

I think I know what you are talking about when you mention that cruise purchase!

I'll just tell you I have been searching high and low for that darn Capt. Jack hat. I figure I have one more day to find it!
wigdoutdismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:44 PM   #8
Happydog
DIS Veteran

An update?! Really?! REALLY!

Hi everyone! SORRY for the delay!!!

Well I had a good excuse this weekend. I was trying to finish my TR from my summer vacation So I did that, feel free to check it out on the WDW TR board!!!! AND, additionally, I started packing and such for this cruise vacation which starts, for us, on Friday evening!!!! GASP!!!

Well, I am happy to say it was a productive weekend! I received some of the items I had ordered, so it was great to get my packing underway... I also had head to Target a few times...

I am all finished stuffing my FE gifts... I have to print the labels and then they will be done! I promise to upload a photo of them before we leave, and of course if you are on the Thanksgiving cruise, DON'T peek!!! Of course I am not sure who is reading this TR other than those who have posted, but I know you are out there!!!

Here are some photos of my goodie bags to the kids... well here is what is going into the bags!!!

Most of these items I had bought this past summer and in October while I was at WDW... This picture shows the two books I got for DS6... one I got at the Disney Outlet for 1.99! and the other is a Muppets book! Of course I thought that would be fun since we think there will be a PremEAR at Sea for the new Muppets movie! The boxed Pirate kit I ordered from the Disney store, and it was on sale with free shipping! The revolvers are the really nice cap guns from the POTC shop. Candy, glow sticks, cruise cookies, and another sword for Pirate night! Now for DS9 I swapped books, I got him everything else exactly the same except these two books...

The POTC novel is one of those "junior" novel/chapter books... is easy reading, frankly, and DS9 is reading much more difficult novels, but it looked fun ... and thematic of course! I thought the Hidden Mickey book for the cruise would be something fun to try as a family, since we are going to be on the cruise for a whole week. It will give them something adventurous to do on their own, well I might let them try some areas alone... or with us near by!

Now here is the question with all this loot... what to put it in??

This past summer I made these drawstring backpacks for the boys...

They were a big hit... The personalized label/patch was made by an Etsy crafter, the same one who made our FE hanger, and then I sewed them to these pirate themed bags that I made (bought the fabric, found the pattern on line). They are very cute! But the issue is that they have already been used as part of a surprise. Do you think it is a big deal that the boys have seen them before? I just thought that I won't get a chance to use them much longer... And I would hate for them to have only one showing!!! The trip isn't a surprise this time, either, so I figured that they'll just be excited by what is inside the bags, right? I also bought these cute shark pull string bags on sale, I will show you those when I post tomorrow...

So what did I purchase for myself?! Well.... at the Disney Outlet we came across this cute charm bracelet!!!

Here is another shot....

These are close-ups, of either end.

It was nearly 75% off, in the end, regular $125.00!!!! And so I was thrilled to find it for the price I found it, and I think it is TOO cute! WigD bought one too! I was thinking I would get plenty of use out of it on this cruise and the next! It is a lot of "jingle" and has those great "retro" graphic charms they have been using for the cruise line and other resorts.. too adorable, the photos don't do it justice!!!!

Now I know many of you were wondering how we were telling our boys about the new cruise... so here is what I did...

I created "this time next week" flyers and started posting them on their bathroom mirror... Friday they got the one that said we were taking a plane, and Saturday evening they read that we were taking the cruise on the Disney Magic! They were excited and enjoyed looking at the map. They are particularly excited that they will miss two and a half days of school!!! So for each day this week, I will share a new "this time next week" and outline our whole itinerary, etc.

So hopefully this short update will get you interested, I will be back tomorrow with some more fun!

I really cannot believe it is here. I have been so absorbed with work, that when I started to think about the date, it still seemed so far off!! BUT this cruise is most certainly here!!

Coming up next, the details I have been able to discover about Christmas theming and what that will look like on the ship, as well as our reservations and excursions!!!

TTFN!!!

Last edited by Happydog; 11-15-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:30 AM   #9
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigdoutdismom View Post
I think I know what you are talking about when you mention that cruise purchase!

I'll just tell you I have been searching high and low for that darn Capt. Jack hat. I figure I have one more day to find it!
YES, I think you will certainly find it familiar!!!

No worries on the hat! I will get another one!!! I ended up cutting off the hair from the hat I bought before -- I was not impressed with the quality of the Disney Store one. At least not this particular hat (it came out just this past spring... the wig isn't the same quality as others I have seen, including the one at Disney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native NYer View Post
Only one week!
I can't believe how fast fall is going! I'm not ready for the holidays.
Gosh, tell me about it!! I keep getting twitchy when I walk into stores seeing all of the Christmas staging!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Thanksgiving has come quickly! Can't believe you only have a few days left before you leave! Just toss everything in the suitcase and don't stress! You always manage to pull it together! Just remember if you can leave for Disney at a moment's notice (and it really was a moment's notice ) during the snowstorm a couple of years ago, you can get ready for a cruise in six days!
I KNOW!!!! I am trying not to stress, and you are right, if I can leave in a moment's notice I can do this!!! And now in THREE days!!! LOL!!!!

Old 11-15-2011, 07:28 PM   #10
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

Reporting for duty. Now going back to read.

2xcited2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:31 PM   #11
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
Reporting for duty. Now going back to read.
Well HELLO stranger!!! Say... didn't I just see you a few weeks ago??!! LOL!

Thanks again for including me on the photopass, C! I think the pics all look great!

Old 11-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #12
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

All caught up! Such fun. Like Jackie, my first thought was maybe the ship has Black Friday deals. I was laughing as I thought it but you heard they really do?? That would be really cool. Can't wait to hear about it and see the spoils.

And do they also do any form of a traditional Thanksgiving dinner? You could make like Pilgrims out on Castaway Cay!

I am in awe of your energy and organization between the prep, fish extenders, this time next week reveal etc.

Can't wait to hear all about your adventure!

2xcited2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:52 PM   #13
Happydog
DIS Veteran

48 hours!!!! ONE more night??!!

Can you believe it?! I cannot! So here I am trying to cross check all my packing and last minute shopping. It all has to be done tomorrow, with minimal stuff to do on Friday. We leave LATE Friday night, getting into MCO even later. BUT as of Friday after school we will be on VACATION!!! SO it can't be better than that, right??!!

I am not sure that I shared this, but Here is the itinerary for the cruise!
Saturday we leave on our week long adventure! We are staying at a hotel there port side Friday night... I can't remember which one and I am too lazy to get up and check We are renting a car from the airport as a one day rental to get us to the hotel, and to port (DH will drop us and our luggage off and then take the car to the rental office). On Saturday morning we plan to get breakfast and then head on over. Our check in time is 11am. We have printed our documents, etc. and completed all online registration required. I don't anticipate any trouble with this first morning/day...

We have a rendezvous with my inlaws there in the terminal...

Once they let us on, we will likely head up to get lunch, and study the navigator some more! I hope to maybe switch our tea to a different day, so I will want to try and manage that, but I am not going to wait in a long line to do so. Once we can go to our cabin we will do that and drop our stuff off, then of course head up on deck to relax until the drill! I don't know what the weather will be like, so that will determine what we do... The kids will be already registered for the kids club, so we will likely go explore that, and help them to know where our cabin is onboard.

I know they are going to be a little confused since the ship is not the same one we were on this past summer. It is smaller than the Dream, so that is a good thing.

We leave port Saturday and are At Sea for two days! We arrive in St. Marteen on Tuesday, and then arrive in St. Thomas/St. John VI on Wednesday. Thursday we are At Sea, and Friday is Castaway Cay! And Saturday we return, hopefully well rested, well fed, and TAN!!!

I have requested the following dining rotation:

Parrot Cay, Lumiere's, Animators, Parrot Cay, Lumiere's, Animators, Parrot Cay

I chose this rotation because I wanted to make sure that we were in Lumiere's for formal night, and I wanted to have Parrot Cay for Pirate Night . We are in Animator's for our "Thanksgiving" evening (which is traditionally the Lobster feast night, so that will be interesting!!!)... and we will miss the second night in Lumiere's since we have Palo's but we will probably go sit with everyone for dinner, before we go. My inlaws will be with the boys at dinner officially that night, and take them to the show. We will be back in Parrot Cay for our final night after being at Castaway, so it seemed appropriate then, too. There are special menus throughout the week, so being in the same restaurant isn't a problem.

There are a few new stage productions this cruise, and as I mentioned earlier, the hope is that there will be a PremEAR as Sea for the new Muppet Movie on Thursday!

We have already booked Tea, Brunch, and some Spa time, including the rainroom, for this cruise. We didn't book any excursions in advance, because we will likely do that ourselves off the boat. DH and I have been doing some research

From what I can tell, it seems as if we have lucked out with the weather... I am not holding my breath until we are there!!!

I am really looking forward to this cruise!!!

I have all my FE gifts taken care of, I will post those and my magnets tomorrow evening so you can see them.

I am looking forward to relaxing on the beach, and enjoying the sights!

I did get a new underwater camera! So I hope to take some different photos this time around.

Well, that is it for now! Stay Tuned for one more update!!!

Old 11-16-2011, 09:04 PM   #14
wigdoutdismom
DIS Veteran

Everything about your cruise sounds fabulous! I'm green with envy!
Old 11-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #15
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Well, we are back!

Yep, what a wonderful week we had !!!! well, MAGICal week we had!!! LOL! I am still catching up, still have not unpacked everything, but am also frantically trying to get myself organized for the next holiday season!!!

I took a TON of photos! Bought some great souvenirs, and had a wonderful time. I won't need to eat for a week, but we won't talk about that....

And if that isn't enough, I JUST confirmed our February cruise, and booked Palos AND Remy's!!! WE are going this time!

I took those photos of my FE gifts but will post them after the fact! As well as all the other pics I have on my cell phone, camera, and water camera, so I know that I will have plenty to share! I promise to get back to this PTR/TR this weekend. Stay Tuned!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: