Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #1
Scoobymoons
Mouseketeer

Wading in Flip Flops...Day 7 Part 5: What's not to like about....UPDATE 28.2

It is time...

2 months following our incredible trip to WDW I am finally getting the report underway...

I am seriously hoping that it was worth the wait.

Hopefully, I will regale you with tales of happiness , food , laughter , silliness , family and horror (not really...I just wanted to use that smilie...sorry!)

So....

Let's go....

A quick reminder of the cast of the extravaganza:

Me: Claire (35 - nearly 36...ah well)
DH: Jeremy (29 )
DD: Eloise (4)
Although the picture is from our WDW holiday 2 years ago. There are plenty of fresh photos to come. All in good time.

Our trip was from the 2nd August 2011 - 24th August. We stayed at Wilderness Lodge for the entire stay and would do it again in the blink of an eye.

Three fabulous weeks with the Mouse - amazing!

I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy reminiscing through writing and hope you enjoy it too.

Day 1: "Be careful what you do with that giraffe..."
Day 2 Part 1: What's the difference between a pair of tights and some Flightsocks?!
Day 2 Part 2: From Home to home away from home.
Day 2 Part 3: 'Welcome Home!'
Day 3 Part 1: Thank Goodness for Blue-footed Boooby birds
Day 3 Part 2: Dun Dun Duuuuun...!!
Day 3 Part 3: You Gotta Love Him...xxx
Day 3 Part 4: How to make a small girl very...VERY...happy!
Day 3 Part 4: How to make a small girl very...VERY...happy! Same title...look...
Day 4 Part 1: Run Away!!!!
Day 4 Part 2: Fountain of Youth....
Day 5 Part 1: Imaaaaagiiiinaaaaation.....
Day 5 Part 2: Step away from the ducks...
Day 6 Part 1: The Hat really comes into play!
Day 6 Part 2: Now you see her...now you don't...
REMEMBER ME??!! AN EXPLANATION...
Day 6 Part 3: ...oh...you don't mean that Pooh???
Day 6 Part 4: Jammin!!
Day 7 Part 1: Moving on....
Day 7 Part 2: Future World/Land/Ville
Day 7 Part 3: How many benches are in the UK pavillion? Ask my DD...
Day 7 Part 4: Samy from Nice, you are really Nice!
Day 7 Part 5: What's not to like about food served on a monorail?!!!

Offsite [1995] Offsite [1998] Wilderness Lodge, WDW [August 2009] Sequoia Lodge, DLRP [April 2010] Wilderness Lodge, WDW [August 2011] Newport Bay, DLRP [June 2012]

Last edited by Scoobymoons; 02-28-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Scoobymoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
jockey
Repeat after me....I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's!!!!!!

Cant wait for more
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #3
kirstinemma
Mouseketeer

Looking forward to more!

kirstinemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #4
Scoobymoons
Mouseketeer

Day 1: "Be careful what you do with that giraffe..."

Much as being a teacher is really hard work, I do have the luxury of having enough time off to wallow in the joys of preparing for a holiday, and glory be did I enjoy this one! Eloise and I had the whole day to complete last minute packing and tidying of the house (it's amazing how tidying becomes an 'ok' pasttime when a 3 week holiday is so close you can smell it...)

In amongst the general house/packing stuff was a particularly special task: while we were going to be away, Eloise's cousin (mine and Jeremy's niece) Niamh was going to turn 3. Her middle name is Minnie and she is more often called that than Niamh. For a large portion of the morning Eloise and I studiously made a poster saying Happy Birthday Minnie! which was then packed in our luggage, our intention being that on Minnie's birthday we were going to get a photo on our phones of the real Minnie holding the poster to send straight to Niamh Minnie (hope that made sense...)

2.30 came and Jeremy finished work and came home - the trip was getting closer....
We were going to be dropped off at the airport by Jeremy's lovely parents so after they had arrived and we had said a fond farewell to our two cats (Angus and Saffy) we headed off to the airport. Thankfully the journey there was totally uneventful. I should say at this point, we were staying at the Travelodge overnight so that we weren't rushed in the morning. Great idea - really took the pressure off us and it also meant the holiday officially started one day earlier (whoop!). The other huge advantage was being able to use the Twilight check-in service - a real bonus in our eyes as it literally took 10 minutes instead of the 2 hours we had previously experienced on previous trips. We were instructed to take our buggy to oversize luggage where we were met by the most cheerless guy ever - crikey, talk about lack of job satisfaction - methinks he needed a trip to WDW!!! However, we were just mildly amused by the whole thing as, short of a disaster, nothing was going to dampen our holiday spirits.
We had decided to go to Frankie and Benny's for dinner at the airport before heading to the hotel for the evening...that was until we discovered that Frankie and Benny's was airside...oops...plan 1 foiled... We trolled up and down the concourse finding out what was there, passing various members of security and 2 armed police - they would have been scary had one of them not had a gun that was pretty much bigger than him - quite freaky!
We eventually decided to give 'Giraffe' a try - we were initially reluctant as we had previously had a poor experience in a different branch of 'Giraffe' but in we went nevertheless.

As you can see from the picture, Eloise was given a small plastic giraffe that unintentionally became a weapon until Jeremy said "Be careful what you do with that giraffe." I love comments like that - they definitely come under the heading of 'things you never thought you'd hear in one sentence!'
Anyway we ordered drinks and food (no pictures of this one but there definitely will be later on!)
Me: Coke, Pinot Grigio (large - start as you mean to go on is what I say ), Parmesan Chicken Schnitzel with mash.

Jeremy: Coke, Brooklyn Lager, Cusquena beer, Rodeo Burger and fries

Eloise: Apple Juice, Chicken pasta (Eloise looooves pasta!)
We were very very pleasantly surprised by this meal - it was a really positive start to the holiday.

After that we headed to the Marks and Spencer food shop to purchase 4 beers and a banana... ah yes... a classic combination of food and beverage... Let me just clarify, the beer was for J and I and the banana was for E's breakfast! That done it was off to the hotel.

I failed to mention before that we were moved from the Travelodge due to maintenance issues - this wasn't a problem as it was still an easy commute from the Premier Inn we were transferred to to Gatwick via shuttle bus.
E and I sat in the foyer of the Premier Inn while J went to check in. E gasped: "Wow, I've never seen such a beautiful inn..." - such high standards... (at this point I was thinking of the Wilderness Lodge by the way...)
J had taken a while to get seen and E was clearly becoming impatient:
"There are inns in the Bible. If we can't stay at the Premier Inn, maybe we can stay in the stables..." Bless - out of the mouths of babes and all that!!!

Once we were finally checked in, we headed to our room - it was perfectly fine and probably better than the Travelodge room we had expected.

2.8.11 photo DSCF0541.jpg

2.8.11 photo DSCF0546.jpg

2.8.11 photo DSCF0545.jpg

As you can tell I had the trip report on my mind at all times -very dedicated...

By the way, if you get bored of reading my drivel, you can always play a quick game of Spot the Beer....
E was being a very excited 4 year old (great fun watching her try to get on to our bed - too short...) but she did fall asleep by 8.30 - not bad really! J and I watched an episode of CSI Miami (we are complete CSI NY addicts but didn't mind being traitors for an hour!) and a Kitchen Nightmares USA before falling asleep by 11 - not bad even if I do say so myself!

Needless to say, we were all terribly excited in anticipation of tomorrow....

Day 2: What's the difference between a pair of tights and some Flightsocks?!

Offsite [1995] Offsite [1998] Wilderness Lodge, WDW [August 2009] Sequoia Lodge, DLRP [April 2010] Wilderness Lodge, WDW [August 2011] Newport Bay, DLRP [June 2012]

Last edited by Scoobymoons; 02-14-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:36 PM   #5
Scoobymoons
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockey View Post
Cant wait for more
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstinemma View Post
Looking forward to more!
Thanks for joining in! Excited about writing.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:09 PM   #6
darthtatty
Been There, Done That, Going Back!

fab start
cant wait to hear more.xx
Feb 2005 - Sequoia Lodge @ Disneyland Paris
May 2009 - Holiday@ Disneys Contemporary Resort Trip report
August 2011-Holiday @ Disneys Contemporary Resort Trip report
March 2013-Perth Australia
August 2014- Holiday @ Disneys Contemporary Resort
darthtatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:45 AM   #7
VailaTigger
DIS Veteran

Oooo!

Looking forward to reading more!

Been waiting for this trippy!
2010 - April, Pop Century, 2 weeks
2012 - September, Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2 weeks honeymoon
VailaTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:33 PM   #8
Scoobymoons
Mouseketeer

An Apology...

It is shocking how long I've been away from the DIS

I'd really enjoyed writing my pre trip report and then the first couple of installments of the report proper. I also wrote the next installment, but as I came to post it the whole thing was lost...gutted....

Unfortunately life then caught up with me in the style of large (purely in terms of ridiculous situations at work) and it's only just now that I'm feeling able to breathe again.

Soooo.... sorry for disappearing and fingers crossed I can keep it going this time. Here goes....

Old 02-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #9
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Ooh I can tell this is going to a great TR
I am totally with you about the build up to a trip being soooo exciting
Sitting in the V Room knowing you have your whole trip ahead of you is a wonderful feeling
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:35 AM   #10
Scoobymoons
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephensmum View Post
Wilderness Lodge looks beautiful. Can't wait to read all about it.
It is soooo beautiful - we love it! Thanks for reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess_ariel_85 View Post
Joining in!

It's been a good read so far, you and your family are so cute

Wilderness Lodge looks fab!

x
Glad you're enjoying it. I wholeheartedly agree about my DD being cute...not so sure about me and DH though!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry blonde View Post
More please Can't wait for the next part
Thankyou Hoping to write more tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell1989 View Post
Looking forward to reading more
xx
Looking forward to writing more! I'd thought originally that I'd be able to write it a day at a time....this is not happening - clearly I waffle way too much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Ooh I can tell this is going to a great TR
I am totally with you about the build up to a trip being soooo exciting
Sitting in the V Room knowing you have your whole trip ahead of you is a wonderful feeling
Agreed! I'm sitting here typing getting excited about even the idea of that feeling - how sad is that?!!

Thanks for reading everyone - more later hopefully.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #11
Scoobymoons
Mouseketeer

'Welcome Home!'

'Welcome Home!'
We were hot, we were tired, we were ready to relax and that greeting was just the perfect thing to hear. It was so exciting to be back at Wilderness Lodge...sooo exciting....did I mention it was exciting....??? That first moment as you walk through the front doors and into the immense lobby is just awe inspiring.

photo WLLobby.jpg

You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to realise that this isn't a photo from that particular moment (it was taken in 2009 after having the opportunity to be Flag family - you go very very high up in the lobby - I did much clinging on to the bannister) but I couldn't find a decent one from this trip...what's that about?!!
We went to check in which all happened very quickly and smoothly. Much to our delight our room was upgraded from car park view (or whatever it's called) to courtyard - really pleased We went straight up to our room:

3.8.11 photo DSCF0554.jpg

3.8.11 photo DSCF0561.jpg

I just think towel animals are fabulous!

DD was absolutely shattered (it was about midnight UK time) so we got her ready for bed - she then proceeded to take yonks to get to sleep - can't think why... Eventually, however, knackerdness overtook excitement and she zonked.

3.8.11 photo DSCF0560.jpg

DH and I unpacked - we were determined not to live out of suitcases for 3 weeks - and then refamiliarised ourselves with WL. I went for a wander and headed down to Roaring Forks to buy refillable mugs and top them up with coke - ironically the server was from Glasgow and it felt very odd to have travelled for hours and hours just to hear a non-American accent...she was very lovely though. I then returned to our room and DH and I sat out on the balcony listening to the hubbub (how on earth do you spell that???) from the pool - gorgeous.

Sitting on the balcony is one of my favourite evening pasttimes (oh God, double consonant issues...hubbub, pasttimes....aaargh!!) Sorry, back to the plot...I just love being able to sit out in the warmth (even if it's raining) relaxing with a cocktail (more often than not ) and discussing the day (or writing trip notes as it happened this time!)

3.8.11 photo DSCF0555.jpg

When DH and I were having the pretty much pointless, token conversation about where we were going to stay for this trip one of the biggest considerations and reasons for going back to WL was for the balcony - sounds ridiculous but when you've got a 4 year old who needs to go to bed relatively early, you need somewhere to go rather than sitting silently waiting for her to go to sleep. It took us a long time to decide to return to WL...at least 5 minutes....

So, once we'd finished our cokes on the balcony I decided to go for another wander - DH had been for a wander as well previously - I popped into the Mercantile first and perused everything. I was looking at the ladies clothes when I suddenly heard this voice say:
"I'd like the red and white shirt if it didn't have Mickey Mouse on it."
I beg your pardon? "...if it didn't have Mickey..." WHAT??? Has this person made a terrible error? Do they actually know where they are? I think perhaps next year they ought to go for a hiking holiday in the Cotswolds rather than come to the home of MICKEY MOUSE..... I consider this sort of comment in the same sort of league as people who go to WDW and complain that there are a lot of children.....doh
Anyway, moving on...I didn't buy anything on that visit - plenty of time yet ! - and instead popped back to Roaring Forks where I refilled a cup with lemonade (USA lemonade, not UK lemonade) and got some chips (UK chips, not USA chips) and a Coors light and took all these back to the room.
It's probably worth mentioning now that we had got the free Dining with our trip so we had made oodles of ADRs and had loads of snack credits to use...shame!!!!

We sat out for a little while before heading to bed.

Last edited by Scoobymoons; 02-14-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:12 PM   #12
mickeyforpresident
DIS Veteran

I'm just loving this trip report; thank you so much! Your writing style is very refreshing! It's Miranda-ish (that's a compliment BTW!)

Looking forward to more; forget the marking, write for us!!

August 2015 - Hard Rock and Contemporary - whooo hoo!!
August 2012 - Back to the Contemporary - love that monorail !!!
August 2010 - 2 weeks at the Grand Floridian
August 2008 - 3 weeks at the Grand Floridian
August 2006 - Disneyland Hotel DLRP
August 2004 - 2 weeks at the Contemporary
August 2002 - Disneyland Hotel DLR Paris
August 1999 - Millenium Celebration - offsite
mickeyforpresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #13
Scoobymoons
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyforpresident View Post
I'm just loving this trip report; thank you so much! Your writing style is very refreshing! It's Miranda-ish (that's a compliment BTW!)

Looking forward to more; forget the marking, write for us!!
Thank you for your very kind comments! So glad you're enjoying it.
Marking officially forgotten

More very soon

Old 04-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #14
JintyB
Mouseketeer

Have just read your whole trip report and am really enjoying it - we were there in August too (15-29th). Looking forward to more, thanks for sharing.

Jeanette
JintyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:22 PM   #15
Scoobymoons
Mouseketeer

Remember Me??!! A quick explanation...

Hi!

I don't know if anyone has the inclination to carry on reading this report given the length of intermission everyone has faced, but I would really like to complete it, as the trip was such a magical time and I really enjoyed writing the beginning of the report - particularly liking the very complimentary comments from everyone reading

Anyway, this is entitled 'Remember Me??!! A quick explanation...' for a reason. I have been lurking back on the boards for a few weeks now, reading reports and looking at photos etc - thoroughly enjoying re-acquainting myself with the Dis. The lurking was followed by my recapping what I had already written in this report. I noticed I had already had to make a couple of apologies due to my slackness in writing installments... Ok, this is the apology of all apologies. I have had an absolute shocker of a last few months. Shortly after my last post, DH and I went to New York for a week on our own - yes leaving DD with nanny and grandi - we had a wonderful first 2 and a half days before I went and broke my foot . Having been to NY as part of our honeymoon, DH had commented pre-trip that it would be good to see other parts of NY that we had not previously seen - I think, perhaps, he was not referring to ER .... and let me tell you GEORGE CLOONEY IS NOT THERE.... believe me I looked...

So, with leg and foot strapped up, we worked out how we were going to manage the last four days - the hotel were kind enough to offer us a wheelchair - so we thought it was all going to be possible... that was until I got food poisoning on the same night I'd broken my foot - oh good grief.... It was ridiculous (and that's putting it politely) - my DH is possibly the most patient man on the planet....

The following morning we were due to do a walking, food tour of NY - something we'd really looked forward to - now was that going to happen??? Walking.... nah.....Food.....nah. It was a bit of a downer to say the least.

On return to the UK I was put in plaster for 7 weeks (boo hiss - although I did get a choice of colour and was able to join DD in the land of pink for a while ) During this time I continued to work but it was quite frankly arduous.

Anyway, to cut a VERY long story short, everything went wrong at work (not due to my broken foot I hasten to add...) and I ended up resigning and then being signed off sick. Shocking end to 13 years of service in one school Consequently, everything else kind of went out of the window...sorry

I am more sad because the TR was something I was really really enjoying and everything else got in its way.

So...if you're all happy for a bit of a resurrection, then I'm more than happy to give it a go...I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you are all patient people and really want to see more pictures of....bus stops????!!! No seriously, I promise, no bus stops....

Day 6 Part 3 to follow shortly...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: