Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
izzie-wizzie
DIS Veteran

COMPLETED - We're Visiting Our Laughing Place - Trip Report

How do ya do? Pleased to meet ya. Fine how are you? Nice seeing ya. Howdy c'mon, How do ya do?!

TRIP REPORT NOW STARTED - I'LL ADD LINKS REAL SOON!

With only four weeks left until I am away to WDW (or three weeks and six days!!), I thought now was a good time to start my pre-trip report!

I was going to start this report months and months and months ago – but then I put it off, and then I forgot about doing one, and then I put it off again! I have seriously been counting down the days to this trip since it was at least two-hundred days-to-go – I am so excited

Anyway, I’ve obviously started my PTR now and its probably better I have started it now rather than before, because so many little details and ADRs have changed from my original plan!

So a little introduction about us...

Izzie – That’s me, that picture was taken on my 21st birthday in Animal Kingdom - see link to that trip report in my signature. I’m the planner of the trip and of just about everything! I really enjoy being on the Disboards, reading Trip Reports and Dining Reports, finding out as much as I can about WDW and putting together a great Disney trip =) I graduated from University last summer, and I have a new job as an Events Coordinator and I absolutely love my job. In my spare time I enjoy shopping, cocktails, making cupcakes and spending time with friends, family and my two pets – a cross Yorkie / Scottie dog called Sweep and my African Pygmy Hedgehog Mr Pricklepants .

Sweep:

Mr Pricklepants:

Scott – We have been together just over 4 (lovely) years. This will be our 4th Disney trip together (2 to DLRP and this is our second to WDW). He is more about the thrill rides than anything else – but the more we’ve went to Disney the more of an interest he has in other parts of the park too – especially Hidden Mickeys (I got him a Hidden Mickey book to look at when we are over there!). He is an engineer and works offshore, in his spare time he is always working on his car and is learning how to drift.

Here's a picture of us taken at a recent family wedding:

We are both really looking forward to this trip – this year has been a bit of a nightmare for us. I had a job at the start of the year that involved a lot of long distance driving so I was constantly tired, and then at the very start of May, the roof of our flat collapsed which has meant we have had to move in to his parents’ house and work is only just starting to get going to fix the flat this week. The insurance company won’t be helping us either at all. Not the best of situations. We weren’t sure whether we could manage this trip financially, but most of it was paid by May – and the trip has been something to keep our spirit up and something to look forward to!

How are we getting there?

Leaving: Saturday 24th September 2011, travelling from Aberdeen – Charles de Gaulle Paris – Orlando.

We have a nice early flight from the local airport on Saturday – I am so glad we leave first thing in the morning – if I had to wait til afternoon or evening I may go crazy with excitement!! We have a family party the night before too which should make that night fly by! Then we arrive in Paris (unfortunately not enough time for a sneaky visit to DLRP) and then on to Orlando, arriving about 5.00pm Florida Time.

I am so glad we only have one change over this trip, as last trip to Florida, we had two changeovers – and I have tendencies to get quite stressy that we will miss a flight or get lost (I always expect the worst if I am not the one in control!) so only one change over, keeps me much calmer!

We booked the flights independently , and then got our hotel, tickets and dining plan direct through Disney.

Where are we Staying?

Disney Saratoga Springs Resort!!

Ohhhhh I am excited about staying on Disney Property for 2 whole weeks and being in a Disney Bubble, It will also be nice being so close to Downtown Disney as we didn’t get to fully explore DTD before.

We will be there 14 nights, on the Disney Dining Plan.

How many Days to go? 27 Days!

Coming Next – our day-by-day / ADR plan!

Walt Disney World - September 2011 (Engagement Trip). October 2009 (21st Birthday Trip).
Disneyland Report Paris - 1995, Santa Fe / 2007, Explorers Hotel / 2010, Cheyenne / 2012, Newport Bay Hotel
Disneyland Resort California - April 2013

Last edited by izzie-wizzie; 08-12-2012 at 09:10 AM.
izzie-wizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:08 AM   #2
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

Sounds great so far. We fly out on the 21st so we might see you out there.

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
wickesy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-29-2011, 04:39 AM   #3
Goofyish
Happy Again

Smile

I fly out on the 26th from Gatport Airwick

Have a great trip
Aug.03 Port Orleans Riverside/Animal Kingdom Lodge
Dec.05 Dolphin Resort
Sep/Oct.11 Port Orleans Riverside Resort
Goofyish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
Tinkerbell1989
DIS Veteran

Hey Izzie,
Great start to your PTR... Just finished reading your TR! I'm sure I'd started reading it ages ago, but must have just not finished! Anyway, I'm very excited to see your plans!

xxx

2013's Big Celebration Christmas Trip 'Finally got my own way!'...October 2012 TR Playing 'I Spy' in Disney... December 2010 TR Our Youtube Channel

DLRP August 2004 DLRP June 2008

WDW October 2000 WDW April 2003 WDW December 2006 WDW December 2010 WDW CSR October 2012 WDW December 2013
Tinkerbell1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:00 PM   #5
izzie-wizzie
DIS Veteran

Hey peoples - thanks for reading and thanks lots to those that have commented so far!!

So, without further a-do - I'll tell you what I have planned for the first few days of our trip:

Day 1 - Saturday 24th September 2011

Travel Day, and arrive in Florida about 5.00pm. We'll get the magical express bus to SSR - check-in and look around the resort and our room.

Then plan to head to Downtown Disney - have dinner at Wolfgang Puck Express, and maybe grab a snack from Goofys Candy Co to take back to the room. Generally just browsing the shops, might have a cocktail or two from TRex depending on the time, as we have an earlyish start the next day...

Day 2 - Sunday 25th September 2011

Magic Kingdom!! I can't wait to really spend our first whole day in Magic Kingdom! I'm hoping to make it there in time for Rope Drop - but even if we don't get there that early, its not too bad cause its late EMH this day and I plan on taking full advantage of it!!

We'll probably grab breakfast at Main Street Bakery (the pastries there look amazing!!), then head to Tomorrowland first as we haven't been on Space Mountain in WDW before so very excited for that!

Also especially looking forward to Splash Mountain (my favourite ride in Disney), Philharmagic (just gives me goosebumps) and Haunted Mansion (to see the new queue and hitch-hiking ghosts) .

So we'll just explore Magic Kingdom and have fun - til our dinner reservations at Tonys Town Square that evening I've heard really mixed reviews on this place, but I am a massive Lady and the Tramp fan so I had to give it a go myself. Think I will just have to order the Spaghetti and Meatballs to keep in with the theme of the place though - ordering anything different might feel wrong

After dinner, it will probably be time to get our spot for the evening parade and Wishes (the best fireworks show ever, hehe!)- then have some EMH fun! I really love spending time at the theme parks when its night time - it's a whole different atmosphere

Day 3 - Monday 26th September 2011

Disney's Hollywood Studios

Again, we will try get here fairly early, but if we don't make it that early, it's not a big deal - as its late EMH here too.

Will try and do Toy Story Mania as much as we can, think this ride is great fun, and you need to ride it to see what the fuss is all about

Will see what we can fit in this day - but I'm going to try and let it not be too much rushing about and just enjoy the time we're there, taking it slow as well really want to visit the tune in lounge too, which brings my to...

My dinner reservations for the day - at 50s Prime Time, which looks like good fun, and there are some great reviews on this place so I had to make a reservation to see what the fuss was all about!!

After dinner, it will be time for Fantasmic, and then EMH to explore some more rides and things

So that's our first few days - definately quite a busy couple of days - but EMH at MK and DHS when we first arrive, and will be all excited to do things seems like too great an opportunity to waste!! But I'll definately be trying to have some rest time later in the holiday too

How many Days to go? 26 Days!

Coming Next – days 4, 5 and 6!

Walt Disney World - September 2011 (Engagement Trip). October 2009 (21st Birthday Trip).
Disneyland Report Paris - 1995, Santa Fe / 2007, Explorers Hotel / 2010, Cheyenne / 2012, Newport Bay Hotel
Old 08-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #6
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

Great start Izzie, your plans so far look fab, I hope you have a wonderful time

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
izzie-wizzie
DIS Veteran

Ohh woowwww we go tomorrow!!!!!

We're all packed (apart from the last few bits and bobs we will need when we're getting ready to go to the airport), and just an hour left at work til holiday mode

We have a family party tonight then early at the airport tomorrow!!

Eeeeeee I am too excited - tomorrow night we will actually be in Downtown Disney and then on Sunday at the Magic Kingdom

Old 09-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #8
jtlover
DIS Veteran

Have a great time - we are in SSR in 5 weeks time
Old 09-26-2011, 02:23 AM   #9
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

I'm subbing so I don't miss your trip report when you get home
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:21 AM   #10
izzie-wizzie
DIS Veteran

Goodness Me - I am really bad at updating this, I keep forgetting!! Every time I come online I keep looking at wedding related ideas and I haven't even posted the engagement day on my trip report - I know how shocking, right!!?!

To make up for this - here are the next two days of our trip!

Day 3 - Monday 26th September 2011 - Pool and Hollywood Studios

Today, we let ourselves sleep in for a bit and woke up at about 9.30am. We sat on our balcony looking over Downtown Disney and enjoyed our pastries from main street bakery that we had picked up the night before. Scott picked up a pain au chocolat and I had a Cherry Danish - they kept really well over night and were very tasty.

The bakery is really accomodating for taking pastries away with you and had take-away boxes so that the treats don't get squished.

So we finished them up and decided to go down by the pool for an hour. We were in the Congress Park area of Downtown Disney and they have a 'quiet pool' there with a hot tub. The pool really was quiet it was just us and about 3 or 4 other groups - mostly couples or with older teen kids so it was very quiet and elaxing just to sunbathe. It was really quite awesome being able to swim and see the top of things like Disney Quest / Characters of Flight balloon at the same time

We then went back to the room and showered to go to Disneys Hollywood Studios. It was another EMH day - so the Studios were open til 1.00am - so we didn't mind not getting there til a bit later.

We probably got to the Studios at about 12.30pm. We checked to see if there were any fast passes left for toy story mania - and we were lucky enough to get a pair for later in the evening.

We went to get some lunch at Starring Rolls - I had to have one of their famous cupcakes!!

The first thing to mention about here is just how much food you for one counter service credit! We had what I think is the biggest Turkey and Mozzarella sandwich I have seen in my life, a bag of crisps, juice and a "too-good-for-actual-words" cupcake!

The sandwich was really good though - it's easier to eat than it looks as well! We kept the crisps in our bag - so it was good to know we had a snack for in the room or when we were watching a show or something.

The cupcake though - seriously the best! I had the peanut butter cupcake - it was easily the nicest dessert I had in the whole of Disney - even in comparison to the signature restaurants (I know, crazy!) - you need this cupcake in your life (if you appreciate chocolate and peanut butter I suppose - keeping it in perspective!)

We then went to share a nummy Frozen Margarita - clearly I got drunk just smelling it!

After we ate we wondered around, looked in some shops and rode some rides - Rock N Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror (these rides never get old! I love both of them and me and Scott must have had about 10 conversations trying to pick a favourite!).

We did the updated Star Tours as well - which was really good actually! I enjoy this ride much more with the changes and as it has new parts so that every ride has differences we rode this a few times throughout the trip.

I think by this point it was starting to rain a little bit, then slightly more - so we went to draw in the Animation Building, we drew Jiminy Cricket. I really enjoy the drawing here too - I could probably spend the whole day drawing different characters

We then went to meet Sorcerer Mickey before going to see the Stunt Show.

Unfortunately, even though the the rain had eased off by this point - the sky was still looking quite dangerous and 5 minutes before start time, with so so many people sitting in the stands, they had to cancel the show. I felt bad as I know this is something Scott really enjoys, as his big hobby is cars and he has started drifting recently so he would have loved to see it again - and the show was under construction for the rest of our trip. I personally wasn't too bothered though!

Since we were at that side of the park - we went to meet Lightning McQueen and Mater, surprisingly there wasn't much of a wait considering everyone coming out of the show.

We then went to watch the Muppets - as the rain started again about this time too so it was nice to be guaranteed inside!

After this our dinner reservations at 50s Prime Time were coming up - so we headed in that direction, with a quick 3D trip to Endor on the way.

We were still a little early so we sat at the bar in Tune-In Lounge - seriously wish I knew about this little bar on our previous trip - it's fantastic and such a retreat from the park! We ordered two (tasty and light up) cocktails - Grandmas Picnic Punch for me and a Dads Electric Lemonade for Scott - and sat at the bar waiting to be called.

We were about half way through our drinks and were called for dinner. I wasn't quite sure what I would make of the joking around and things I'd read about 50s Prime Time but I need not have worried as it was such a good experience. It was the right amount of banter without being obtrusive. Our 'uncle' made a big fuss over our glowing drinks, and pointed us in the direction of the PB&J milkshake for later on.

We ordered a sampler plate each for our main, as we wanted to try a bit of everything - it was nice for what it was - and I would definately have the sampler again.

Dessert we split the smores and the brownie sundae - the brownie sundae is MASSIVE! haaha but its really just a mis-mash of brownie / cream etc and the smores were good - mostly because it's something a bit different and I'd never had them but they were nice The PB&J Shake really is worth writing home about though - very sweet, but thats not a problem for me - NUM!

Overall, 50s Prime Time Diner - best for the Tune-In Lounge, Service and Banter and PB&J Shake. The food is not bad in any way whatsoever but you wouldn't go there for a 'nice' meal? But it's a good-unique meal that fits in perfectly with the whole theme - I'd definately go back.

After our meal - the rain was still going and we were worried it might cancel Fantasmic!

We had our FPs for Toy Story Mania to use - so we went and rode that. Love that ride so much - sooo much fun!

Then we headed across to Fanstasmic theatre, and by the time we sat down, the rain had completely stopped - yey!

We watched Fanstamic - agan like Toy Story I won't go on about how amazingly awesome it is because I'm sure you've heard it all before and know about it!

After Fanstamic - it was EMH in the park. So we rode Tower of Terror and Rock N Roller Coaster 2 - 3 teams each - yey! Again, can't get bored/tired of these rides and always notice something new!

We then went to ride Toy Story Mania - even thought it was EMH there was still about a 30 minute wait, but it was showing as a 50 minute wait.

We were pretty tired by this point (I' don't think I realised until writing this down that it was actually a really busy day!!) and headed back to the hotel as we had an early start the next day going to Universal...

Old 01-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #11
izzie-wizzie
DIS Veteran

Day 7 - Friday 30 September 2011

Today was one of those days that I was really looking forward to, just because I knew that it would be a bit of a 'different' day - in that it wouldn't be all about the theme parks at Disney but exploring some of the other side of Disney World too - yey!

We were able to sleep in a bit and we had a late breakfast reservation at 'Ohana at the Polynesian Resort. It's a character breakfast with Mickey, Pluto, Stitch and Lilo.

We got the bus to Magic Kingdom from our hotel, and then took the monorail over to the Polynesian, we checked in and only had to wait about for 5 minutes until we were called to our table.

The lady who took us to our table was so, so sweet and so excited for us about the engagement - she made us feel really great actually and definately started off the whole experience in a great way.

We had updated all of our dining reservations to show that we were celebrating our engagement and I think that it was noted as we got an amazing table for breakfast - I didn't even realise there were such good tables at Ohana with a Castle view - but we got a lovely table with a view - again cue my over excited-ness, hehe!

They came around with their pineapple cinnamon bread - which was AMAZIN!

And also juice and coffee - I fell in love with the juice there - I kept getting refills and getting a refill of this was not a problem at all.

We then got the hot food skillet - and it was all really good, the only thing is that the mickey waffles come seperately and I dont know if it was just that morning, but they seemed a bit stingy giving out the waffles - and when I had asked for more, they never did come. I do like my mickey waffles so I was a tiny bit disappointed. But really that is the only bad thing I can say about Ohana and I do hope that it was just a glitch that day as I would definately go back.

The character interaction was great too. And I loved that we went a bit later and the restaurant was actually quite quiet. I would definately recommend coming here when you are having a lazy start to the day.

After breakfast we explored the resort for a while and found a nice beach swing to sit on and enjoy the sun and the lovely view - just taking the time out to sit and enjoy the peaceful, relaxing side of Disney that some people think it just a myth.

Anyway, after 20 minutes or so of relaxation we do want to actually do something (!!) - and decide to rent a sea-raycer boat from the marina. We took it out for about 45 minutes, which went by so fast. I let Scott drive the boat as I knew I would be too scared to actually have fun with it!

It was lovely we explored all around up to the Contemporary and behind it to where Discovery Island was and could see Fort Wilderness all the way across as close to Magic Kingdom as we were allowed and along past Grand Floridian and Wedding Pavillion.

It was so much fun getting a chance to do this.

Once we were done, we took the monorail over the Contemporary as we had booked a tandem paraglide. I wasn't scared to start with until the whole thing was so fast that we were literally up in the air - haha I started freaking out for a while but when I finally calmed down and looked around - I was stunned by the view!

I just had to turn my head and I saw all the sites - the castle, space mountain, splash mountain, the epcot ball, tower of terror, expedition everest. It was so cool! Before we knew it we were back down - it was an expensive but thrilling experience.

After this, we wondered around the contemporary for a while and then got the monorail across to Epcot. We wondered around Epcot for a while, mostly enjoying Spaceship Earth, the Nemo ride and Turtle Talk with Crush, before our early dinner reservation at the Living Seas.

We had a nice meal here - the food was good and we had a table quite close to the front of the aquariam.

To eat I had the seasonal fish (I can't remember what it was) and the Chocolate Wave.

And Scott had the Chicken and for dessert the Baileys Mousse.

Unfortunately we had pretty poor service - the waitress just seemed so unattentive - and I think what made it worse is the table right next to us had a different waiter who was lovely and bubbly. Oh well - never mind it didn't put a dampner on anything. I think it is always just worth a mention - maybe we were just spoiled by some of the amazing service in other Disney restaurants?

After dinner we walked about a bit, going on Spaceship Earth and we went to do single rider Test Track as the place was quite busy and were jammy enough to get to sit beside each other in a car anyway!

It was getting a little late by this point, so we went to the entrance of World Showcase as far as the Champagne Stand, and Scott got a Champange and I had a Rose Champange. We just got a bench and sat and enjoyed these - as this was the day Food and Wine Festival opened - you can imagine how crowded it was!! So we left as Illuminations started and got the bus before it was crowded - I think it was just us and a group with some little kids on the bus back to our hotel.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:29 AM   #12
Sarah28
DIS Veteran

That breakfast at Ohana looks amazing! Glad you got to relax and experience some things at Disney and not just the parks. We had a meal at Coral Reef too (I had chicken and chocolate wave too ) - sorry to hear you had bad service this was our best meal when we went and our waiter couldn't have been more helpful. It definitely is luck of the draw. Can't wait for more!

WDW: April 1999: Port Orleans French Quarter • October 2011 (Halloween & MNSSHP): All Star Music - Engaged in the Haunted Mansion! - Read this TR here!
• August 2013: Old Key West Read this PTR here!

DLRP: Oct 2005 (Halloween trip!): Santa Fe • May 2006: Santa Fe • February 2007: Santa Fe • December 2007 (Christmas trip!): Santa Fe • October 2008 (Halloween trip!): offsite
• February 2010: offsite • November 2010 (Christmas trip!): offsite • February 2012: offsite • June 2012: offsite • October 2012 (Halloween trip!): offsite • June 2012: offsite • July 2013: offsite
Sarah28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:45 AM   #13
izzie-wizzie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah28 View Post
That breakfast at Ohana looks amazing! Glad you got to relax and experience some things at Disney and not just the parks. We had a meal at Coral Reef too (I had chicken and chocolate wave too ) - sorry to hear you had bad service this was our best meal when we went and our waiter couldn't have been more helpful. It definitely is luck of the draw. Can't wait for more!
I know it was such tasty and as we were on the dining plan it was a great meal for 1TS each.

Unfortunately, we saw others getting the great 'Disney' service, and unfortunately we didn't - even the walk from the sign-in desk to our table was so sombre and not one work was spoken! Usually it's the "are you having a good trip / how long are you here for" small chit-chat.

We probably weren't as bowled over with the meal for this reason alone as well. Which is a shame - but then I don't think it would put me off trying it again at the same time, if that makes sense

Old 01-11-2012, 06:58 AM   #14
Sarah28
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzie-wizzie View Post
I know it was such tasty and as we were on the dining plan it was a great meal for 1TS each.

Unfortunately, we saw others getting the great 'Disney' service, and unfortunately we didn't - even the walk from the sign-in desk to our table was so sombre and not one work was spoken! Usually it's the "are you having a good trip / how long are you here for" small chit-chat.

We probably weren't as bowled over with the meal for this reason alone as well. Which is a shame - but then I don't think it would put me off trying it again at the same time, if that makes sense
Aww I know what you mean, the service is an integral part of the dining experience. I felt the same about our service in Planet Hollywood (just awful ) I'm glad it hasn't put you off trying it again though

WDW: April 1999: Port Orleans French Quarter • October 2011 (Halloween & MNSSHP): All Star Music - Engaged in the Haunted Mansion! - Read this TR here!
• August 2013: Old Key West Read this PTR here!

DLRP: Oct 2005 (Halloween trip!): Santa Fe • May 2006: Santa Fe • February 2007: Santa Fe • December 2007 (Christmas trip!): Santa Fe • October 2008 (Halloween trip!): offsite
• February 2010: offsite • November 2010 (Christmas trip!): offsite • February 2012: offsite • June 2012: offsite • October 2012 (Halloween trip!): offsite • June 2012: offsite • July 2013: offsite
Sarah28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:25 AM   #15
kirstinemma
Mouseketeer

Just caught up with your trip, all your pics are making me excited for when I go!

Congrats again on your engagement, the proposal looks/sounds so lovely!Do you have any wedding plans yet?

kirstinemma is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: