Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2011, 09:01 AM   #1
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

My In-laws are worse than your In-laws!

Think yours are the worst ever? Here's the place to prove it...or at least blow off some steam . Tell us your worst, most hair-raising, awful, tactless mean thing your In-laws have ever said or done (or perhaps your own parents have done to your spouse...we're equal opportunity 'round here!).

Here's my (long-winded) submission (I have many more, this is just the most recent):

I stopped speaking to my MIL 4 months ago. Cut her out completely and life, for me, has been just lovely. However, DH still speaks to her on occasion. He's scaled WAY back on interacting with her (instead of every day, he accepts a call from her about once every week-week and a half, and sees her maybe once a month to make sure she is alive). She is a mean...MEAN, manipulative lunatic and we finally had enough.

So, MIL (68) just opened an antique store and spent a good 2 months working on the place to get it ready so DH went over to the store before the grand opening to wish her well. While there, she sobbed to him about how she has "fallen in love with"...her handyman, Scoot (42). This is some random dude she found on Craigslist to do some odd-jobs for her. We're actually thrilled she is dating someone (even a sketchy guy from Craigslist) since it means she will not need DH to do stuff for her anymore...her new bf can be her servant. Anyhoo...apparently she feels like she is "cheating" on DH's father...who has been deceased for 15 years. Understandable that she would feel guilt over the new relationship since she hasn't dated ANYONE since her husband died.

DH assures her that his father wouldn't have wanted her to be lonely or alone forever and would be happy she'd found someone who made her happy. MIL then launches into a tirade about how her dog (that she adopted from the shelter 2 months ago and she firmly believes is her dead husband reincarnated...I AM NOT JOKING), looks at her with "angry eyes" anytime she and the bf are together. She goes on and on about how the dog is my DH's father and is upset that she is dating this guy.

Trying to remain calm and rational, DH says to her "mom...if the dog is Dad, why does it growl and snarl at ME every time I see him?"

It does...the dog is a nasty little thing (perfect for the nasty old lady he has to live with). It snarls and growls at Dh every time it sees him.

So, MIL looks DH right in the face and says "Oh, that's because your father hated you."

I bet somewhere there's a story that beats mine by a mile, so please share it here. It'll make me feel less likely to drive my truck straight through the front door of her shiny new shop.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
becpee
I see sock puppets

Xxxxxxxxxx

Sept 2001 DL, Oct 2009 DL PPH, Sept 2012 DCL Western Caribbean, WDW Coronado Springs, Oct 2012 DL Fairfield Inn

Sept 2014 DCL Eastern Caribbean, WDW BWV, DL

Last edited by becpee; 09-07-2013 at 03:37 AM.
becpee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-17-2011, 09:25 AM   #3
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
Trying to remain calm and rational, DH says to her "mom...if the dog is Dad, why does it growl and snarl at ME every time I see him?"

It does...the dog is a nasty little thing (perfect for the nasty old lady he has to live with). It snarls and growls at Dh every time it sees him.

So, MIL looks DH right in the face and says "Oh, that's because your father hated you."

I'm sorry that I am laughing at something that was upsetting to your DH, but this is funny.

It does sound like your MIL is off her rocker. Best to keep your distance.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
LBAK
DIS Veteran
The girl at our KFC drive thru calls me mommy all the time.

I could go on and on but to make it short and sweet here's the condensed version.
After my FIL died (who my DH did not speak with) we took my MIL to Disney with us. We were trying to give her another chance. She was with our then 12 yr old DD (who she hadn't saw in 7 years). As we're walking down Main St. for the first time of the trip she turns to me with my DD standing right there and says, "I don't know why I'm here, I hate kids."
Fast forward to the next day, my then 21 year old DD flies down to suprise my MIL and she had no idea who she was. She looked at me and said, "Look K met a friend", I said, "NO thats A your other granddaughter and she came to suprise you". She said, "Oh I don't like suprises". Guess what, DH doesn't speak to her now. My girls won't have anything to do with her and I don't blame them.
LBAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:28 AM   #5
njmom47
He's such a fiend!
The monkeys would go crazy on the cars
I wound up with orange tiger stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapquitler View Post
I'm sorry that I am laughing at something that was upsetting to your DH, but this is funny.

It does sound like your MIL is off her rocker. Best to keep your distance.
Me too, I am really sorry for laughing (with my mouth wide open). But my MIL is awesome!

Junior Brody Stella Luna Louie Ella the Bunny
Christmas 07/New Years 08-CBR (baseball), 2006-POR (cheering), 2001-Dixie Landings, 1988, 1975-Offsite
Trip was great...no new ticker for awhile!
njmom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:46 AM   #6
jen0610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
I bet somewhere there's a story that beats mine by a mile, so please share it here. It'll make me feel less likely to drive my truck straight through the front door of her shiny new shop.
Please tell me that your MIL's application for refuge at your place during the zombie attack has been declined. I think she would make a wonderful meal for a herd of them.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:36 AM   #7
daughtersrus
DIS Veteran

Here's a copy of some posts that I made in the past.

Thanksgiving this year was at my BIL and SIL's house. They decided not to do anything fancy and served the food buffet style and everyone had to find a place to eat. There were about 20-25 of us all together. They only have 2 tables in the house that each sat about 6 so that left the rest to eat with their plates on their lap.

My youngest DD is disabled and uses a wheelchair. She isn't able to feed herself so I (or DH) have to do it for her. That's really difficult to do with a plate on your lap so I took her upstairs to eat at the dining room table as the other table was already full with teenage kids (not mine but from the other side of the family). I don't really know them well enough to ask them to move so that we could eat there.

My BIL and SIL are at the table with us. About 1/2 way through, BIL comes over behind DD and gets down on his hands and knees. He's looking at her wheelchair but doesn't say anything to me. He goes upstairs and comes down a few minutes later with a rug. He tells me that DD's wheelchair scratches their wood floor and if we have her chair in the living room or dining room, there has to be a rug under it. He said that last time we were there, they noticed all kinds of scratches in the floor from her chair.

I look at him completely shocked. First of all, I can't believe that her chair scratched the floor. There are two bicycle type wheels with two other rubber wheels up front. We've been to several other homes that have wood floors so I called all of them and asked them to be honest and tell me if they've seen any scratches. They all said no and asked me why I thought that the rubber wheels would cause scratches.

The second thing that made me mad is if he didn't want us in there, why didn't he (or his wife) go ask the kids at the other table to move upstairs so that we could sit there?

My DH is very angry! We're supposed to go there for Christmas but he's thinking about not going. If DD's chair is not wanted in their house, to us it's the same as saying that DD is not welcome there as the chair is and always will be part of her.

Keep in mind that DD is rarely, if at all, acknowledged by these cousins, aunt and uncle. They will greet DH or I with a hug and not even look at DD even though she is right in front of us because one of us is pushing her chair.

This post was made one month later.

I posted last month about a problem that we had at Thanksgiving. Because of that, we decided to have Christmas at our house. In the end, we invited all of our family (both sides) and had a very nice dinner.

When it came time to open presents, my older DD helped my younger DD open her gifts. Because she's disabled, she isn't able to do it on her own. When all of the gifts were opened, we cleaned up the paper. After several families had left, I asked my older DD who the gifts were from. All of the gifts were accounted for but we still didn't see anything from my BIL and SIL. We brought the bag of paper garbage back into the house and dumped it on the floor going through it piece by piece but only found paper and tags with her name on them from the gifts that were accounted for.

DH called over to their house and found out that sure enough, they hadn't brought anything for DD.
daughtersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:57 AM   #8
Katy Belle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by daughtersrus View Post

Thanksgiving this year was at my BIL and SIL's house. They decided not to do anything fancy and served the food buffet style and everyone had to find a place to eat. There were about 20-25 of us all together. They only have 2 tables in the house that each sat about 6 so that left the rest to eat with their plates on their lap.

My youngest DD is disabled and uses a wheelchair. She isn't able to feed herself so I (or DH) have to do it for her. That's really difficult to do with a plate on your lap so I took her upstairs to eat at the dining room table as the other table was already full with teenage kids (not mine but from the other side of the family). I don't really know them well enough to ask them to move so that we could eat there.

My BIL and SIL are at the table with us. About 1/2 way through, BIL comes over behind DD and gets down on his hands and knees. He's looking at her wheelchair but doesn't say anything to me. He goes upstairs and comes down a few minutes later with a rug. He tells me that DD's wheelchair scratches their wood floor and if we have her chair in the living room or dining room, there has to be a rug under it. He said that last time we were there, they noticed all kinds of scratches in the floor from her chair.

I look at him completely shocked. First of all, I can't believe that her chair scratched the floor. There are two bicycle type wheels with two other rubber wheels up front. We've been to several other homes that have wood floors so I called all of them and asked them to be honest and tell me if they've seen any scratches. They all said no and asked me why I thought that the rubber wheels would cause scratches.

The second thing that made me mad is if he didn't want us in there, why didn't he (or his wife) go ask the kids at the other table to move upstairs so that we could sit there?

My DH is very angry! We're supposed to go there for Christmas but he's thinking about not going. If DD's chair is not wanted in their house, to us it's the same as saying that DD is not welcome there as the chair is and always will be part of her.

Keep in mind that DD is rarely, if at all, acknowledged by these cousins, aunt and uncle. They will greet DH or I with a hug and not even look at DD even though she is right in front of us because one of us is pushing her chair.

I posted last month about a problem that we had at Thanksgiving. Because of that, we decided to have Christmas at our house. In the end, we invited all of our family (both sides) and had a very nice dinner.

When it came time to open presents, my older DD helped my younger DD open her gifts. Because she's disabled, she isn't able to do it on her own. When all of the gifts were opened, we cleaned up the paper. After several families had left, I asked my older DD who the gifts were from. All of the gifts were accounted for but we still didn't see anything from my BIL and SIL. We brought the bag of paper garbage back into the house and dumped it on the floor going through it piece by piece but only found paper and tags with her name on them from the gifts that were accounted for.

DH called over to their house and found out that sure enough, they hadn't brought anything for DD.
So incredibly hurtful. I hope you can end all communication with them. What ugly, ugly people
Old 08-17-2011, 11:10 AM   #9
Debbie7452
DIS Veteran

I'm not trying to top anyone, those in-law stories are chilling

However, my most recent problem with my SIL is still bothering me and I wanted to get it off my chest. I am incredibly close to my DH's parents, so no bad in-law stories there, but it makes my SIL crazy. My wonderful MIL had serious cancer surgery recently and when the surgeon came out to brief the families, we were all crowded into a little room to find out the results and FIL accidently referred to me as his daughter. SIL jumps forward and loudly proclaims that SHE is the daughter and I am JUST the DIL. Like it really matters to the surgeon at that moment!
Debbie7452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:26 PM   #10
crazy4mm
Mouseketeer

I'm not trying to top anyone either....I'm just relieved to hear the it's not just me that has issues with ILs.

It took a long time before I could ever tell this story, but we are in a much better place since our "big blowout" that I've been able to tell most of our story (though not many know - until now cause this IS the internet, right?! LOL!)

Anyway, I could go on and on - but I'll TRY to be brief and paint the entire picture.

DH is one of 5 - two older sisters, two younger brothers - and has felt "less loved" his entire life. Since I've been in the picture for the past 16 yrs, I have recognized that MIL and FIL always held one of the siblings "on a pedestal" (though not always the same sibling, it rotated).

MIL was diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's (fast progression). As a result FIL decided they should more into a smaller house. DH and I offered to sell our house and buy theirs in case MIL wondered off and made her way back to the family home. In the meantime, I had been taking MIL grocery shopping every week. DH and I also agreed to buy FIL's small livery company, so he could work less and spend more time with MIL. All agreed.

Shorlty after we put our house on the market, I found out I was pregnant with my youngest DS. Anyway, our house sold after a few shorts months and we had to move. However, MIL and FIL hadn't even STARTED looking for a house. So MIL and FIL offered to let us live in their basement....yes I said basement! A 4 bedroom, 2 story colonial - and DH, pregnant me and our 2 young kids moved into the basement!

Fast forward 4 1/2 months (thru Thanksgiving and Christmas when DH got into a big fight with SIL and BIL)....MIL and FIL finally found a house and moved out. We finally moved up and out of the basement! Because it took so long for MIL and FIL to look for a house, we had decided not to get a mortgage yet (in case it didn't happen). BIG MISTAKE! (More on that in a bit.)

Meantime, FIL (now working for us) started deciding in the middle of his work shifts that he was going to make plans for later that day and we needed to find someone else to cover the rest of his shift. This happened multiple times. Being a small company, covering a shift meant DH or I would have to lock up the office and drive instead. This was VERY upsetting to both DH and I. Then FIL decided that he needed to spend more time with MIL - so one day he told us (the owners) that he was going to cut his hours in half, only work the few corporate mail service contracts we had but he was still going to make the same amount of money! WHAT??!!

Now that we were feuding about the business.......MIL and FIL decided to include problems with the purchase agreement for the house. AND THIS IS WHERE IT GETS UGLY......(WARNING: You may want to stop reading now.)...

Wait...Before I continue, let me just remind you that at this time, I had 2 children (DD4 and DS2) and I was now 7 months pregnant, oh and having blood pressure issues (gee...I wonder why).....

It's March 5th - I'm making dinner and the doorbell rings. When I open the door, the gentleman hands me a paper and says "You've been served." .......With what you ask? AN EVICTION NOTICE!!!

I immediately called DH hysterical. Instead of coming home, DH drove to MIL/FIL's home and FIRED FIL.

We changed the locks on the house (for fear of FIL coming in anytime he wanted to), found a small apartment and moved out by the end of that month. We haven't spoken to any of them since. They have never met DS8.

Four years ago, we moved 2hrs away from them because of DH's job so we really don't have to worry about running into them anywhere. (Though we still visit my family back there.)

DH still talks with his aunt - MIL's sister. She told him that when he was growing up, she always tried to pay more attention to DH because she knew he wasn't getting attention and love at home. How sad is that?

My kids don't know the story behing why we don't talk to them anymore. And the only one that even remembers them is DD.

And though everything we went thru sucked.....we are sooooo much better off without them. Every party, gathering and just everyday life is so much less stressfull without having to deal with my ILs!!

July 1987 -Walt Disney World 15yr Celebration (My 1s Visit)
Oct/Nov 1996 - Walt Disney World 25yr Celebration (Our Honeymoon!)
Feb 1998 - Disneyland (My 1st, and only, Visit)
Sept 2008 - Walt Disney World (Our kids' 1st Visit, MNSSHP)
Sept/Oct 2011 - Walt Disney World 40yr Celebration (Our 15th Anniversary Celebration! MNSSHP, 1st F&W Fest)

Upcoming:
Dec 2013/Jan 2014 - Walt Disney World NYE Celebration (1st Candlelight Processional, 1st NYE Celebration, 1st Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights)
Aug 2014 - hoping for 1st Disney cruise!

crazy4mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:05 AM   #11
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by daughtersrus View Post

You win! I'd be sure to give them a piece of my mind! Yikes. I do not think I would interact with them anymore, it would be too hard not to punch anyone.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:15 AM   #12
Louise-Montreal
Vous parlez Francais, Tag Fairy? ;) The TF is an International DIS poster lover

My husband had been in the hospital for a few days with a sore back (they did not visit) was eventually diagnosed with Stage Four Cancer. My husband phoned to tell his parents. They (live five minutes from the hospital) came to pick up the his car keys to move his car which was in their driveway(long story) and then went out to dinner. I had to go down to the entrance of the hospital to give them the keys.

Can anyone top this??????
Old 08-17-2011, 11:19 AM   #13
Katy Belle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise-Montreal View Post
My husband had been in the hospital for a few days with a sore back (they did not visit) was eventually diagnosed with Stage Four Cancer. My husband phoned to tell his parents. They (live five minutes from the hospital) came to pick up the his car keys to move his car which was in their driveway(long story) and then went out to dinner. I had to go down to the entrance of the hospital to give them the keys.

Horrible.

My in laws are irritating and have even said/done some hurtful things over the years, but NOTHING in comparison to these stories. I'm almost feeling thankful for them.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #14
Feckless
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise-Montreal View Post

I actually hope that NOBODY can top this. Cold is just a joke. Hope your DH is doing well now.

Latest TR in progress: FROM SUNSTROKE TO A CONCUSSION: a Yacht Club Disney "Trip" to Remember http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post50508748

SMILES, SAND AND SUNSTROKE: A May 2012 Beach Club Trip of a Lifetime! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2927334

First Pre-Trip Report: From the North Atlantic to the World http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post43102751
Feckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:04 PM   #15
lovindisney4ever
Disney Addict

Last year I separated from my husband and felt it was best to leave Florida and move back to Michigan to get away from my crazy MIL and husband. (saddest day of my life that I had to leave Florida and Disney behind ) We lived in a home owned by my MIL but we paid for everything so basically it was our house. Alot of the furniture in the house and TV's, etc. were either gifts from my inlaws or items that we had purchased using Best Buy rewards that we shared with my MIL or they were payment for work that my husband had done for it.

So when I was packing the moving truck to leave Florida she showed up and said she wanted to see what all I was taking because it was her house and that she was protecting the interests of her son. The woman had the audascity (sp?) to tell me that I was not allowed to take any of the items that she had given us or bought with the Best Buy rewards. I got into it several times with her and even got the police involved but because the house was in her name I was not allowed to take anything but my daughter's stuff and my personal belongings. The woman even insisted on my vacuum! Can you believe that? That is low when you have to take a vacuum from someone just because you are mad at them for leaving. It's not like I ended the marriage, my husband had multiple affairs and 2 children while with me and I was the one being punished! So needless to say, not having to deal with her anymore is one of the rewards of this divorce!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: