Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
sarahk0204
DIS Veteran

More WDW people *not* heading to DLR, a PTR update 3/5/12

Hey there!

Since there are only 365 days until my trip, I've decided to start a PTR. First, let me introduce myself and my family. Although we have been to WDW multiple times, this is our first trip to DL, and our first trip west for everyone except me.

This is me on my first trip to WDW with my 2 brothers. It was 1976, and I was 6 years old. I have been 13 or 14 times since then. My grandparents retired to FL in 1972, and I visited the MK as a day guest multiple times with my family when visiting from IL.

This is my DH on his first trip, our honeymoon in 1996. He didn't grow up with Disney like I did, but he is a big fan now, too.

These are our twins on their first trip in 2008, when they were 4. Because of our love of Disney (and our DVC membership), they have been to WDW 5 times in the past 3 years.

Here we are last Christmas.

Here are the twins on our June 2011 trip.

I started planning this trip probably 3 years ago or so. The twins' first trip to WDW was planned around a work conference in NOLA. Since we drive, it was relatively easy to make it a big road trip. This conference, which is always in the summer, is held in a different city each year. I knew in 2008 that the 2012 conference would be in San Diego. Time for a BIG road trip!

Last edited by sarahk0204; 03-05-2012 at 10:02 PM.
sarahk0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:14 AM   #2
reyasmommy
DIS Veteran

I'm a HUGE road-trip fan! Look forward to reading more.
Register to remove

Old 08-01-2011, 02:46 AM   #3
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Oh wow, 3 years of planning already and about 1300 miles of driving each way could make for a lot of TR material.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
sarahk0204
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyasmommy View Post
I'm a HUGE road-trip fan! Look forward to reading more.
Hi! Thanks for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post
Oh wow, 3 years of planning already and about 1300 miles of driving each way could make for a lot of TR material.
Especially for the long winded Since I am way up in Northern IL, it will be 1900+ miles each way, the longest trip we've ever taken

DH and I have always been into road trips. Before kids, we drove to FL twice to visit my grandma (Grandpa passed away in 1992). We have never been drive-straight-through kind of people, so it took us 2 days to drive to FL from IL. Our first trip to FL with kids was in 2006 when our twins were two. We drove our 2003 Saturn VUE with a portable dual screen DVD player for the kids and a luggage rack filled with toddler paraphernalia (booster chairs, roll-up cots for sleeping, strollers, etc.) We actually bought this car the week we found out we were expecting twins, trading in my Nissan Sentra. We just visited Grandma on this trip, as I was not ready to tackle WDW with 2 in diapers. Kudos to anyone who has, but it just wasn’t in the cards for us that trip.

As I said before, the twins’ first trip to WDW was in 2008 at age 4. Grandma had passed away earlier that year at age 99, but we still stayed in the town where she had lived and visited some of her friends. We drove the VUE from IL and picked up DMIL from the airport in Sanford, FL. We took her to WDW as a combination 60th birthday/retirement present. She had never been, and it was a great trip. We then took DMIL back to the airport, and the rest of us drove to NOLA for the work conference. That combo went pretty well, so I started looking at future conferences that I could pair with a Disney trip. This conference changes cities each year, and the schedule is known 4-5 years in advance. 2010 was Atlanta, and 2012 is San Diego. Time to see Disneyland!

In the fall of 2008, DH bought a 2008 Toyota Prius. Since our kids were still small, we decided to drive the Prius the 1300 miles to WDW. We did so in Summer 2009 and Summer 2010. Loved the gas mileage, but by 2010 we had outgrown the Prius as a road trip car. I am an over packer, and even paring down quite a bit, we were no longer comfortable.

So, for our Christmas 2010 trip, it was back to the VUE. Unfortunately, DH was having some issues that turned out to be lumbar disc problems. The VUE was no longer comfortable for him to drive, an issue because he commutes 40 miles each way. Just after New Year’s we traded the VUE for a 2008 Chrysler Town and Country Touring Edition. This vehicle is wonderful for roadtripping! We used it for our Summer 2011 WDW trip, and we are looking forward to driving it to DLR!
Old 08-01-2011, 05:08 PM   #5
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

So will you drive the same route each way or try to make a grand loop? See some cities or parks on the way?
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #6
sarahk0204
DIS Veteran

We're still planning our route, but we are looking to visit the Grand Canyon on the way to Anaheim. We'll see what happens.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: