Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
Happydog
DIS Veteran

We Strapped Sea Turtles to Our Feet! A Summer of Sea & Shore - 11/13 x3 FINISHED!!!!!

HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, here we are! Welcome to the latest edition of a Happy Dog Disney Trip Report! Let's hear it for SUMMER of 2011!!!

We did so many new things on this trip! I can't wait to share all the fun with you! A quick shout out to all my DISer friends, those of you who have followed me around on all these crazy trips to Disney, AND to any and everyone else who happens to stumble into my madness!!! Please make yourself known!!!

This trip spans a little over two weeks, and includes stays in FOUR different Disney locations....

We spent FIVE nights aboard the fabulous Disney Dream (my second cruise on this amazing ship)...

We spent FIVE nights at Disney's Vero Beach resort in a one bedroom villa... the first time we have every been to Vero or this resort!!!

We spent ONE very interesting and fun night at Fort Wilderness, and YES, drum roll please, we SLEPT in a TENT!!!

Finally, we spent ONE lovely evening at the Animal Kingdom Lodge in a Jambo house studio.

We have had some pretty great experiences at Disney, but this one definitely goes down in our travels to date as one of the more UNIQUE trips we have been on! UNIQUE for locations and new experiences, but also because we continue to be amazed with all that Disney has to offer before you even step into the parks. So with that quick introduction to our amazing summer trip, Lets get this BOAT out of dry dock!

Who is the Happy Dog Clan? Well.... allow me a quick introduction of the crew .... here is my DH and I, at one of our special evenings at Palo's... Sorry guys, this is a photo of my photo!!! There is a little glare, but this is DH and I on our second night of the five night cruise! Tan, relaxed, and fully fed

And then our two little pirates... Two boys, who just turned 6 and 9, and actually did have birthdays a week before we left on the ship!! They are not the best photography subjects, consequently I have a lot of candids of these two ... I have to snap quick!

First, DS6 he is quite a handful of fun, and a bundle of energy, and with too much creativity for his own good.... hence the title for this TR.... strapping sea turtles to his feet became the adventure he was seeking, a'la POTC... and though it didn't exactly materialize as he expected, we did manage something similar.... hey, if it is good enough for Jack Sparrow, it is good enough for him!

Then my older more photography-complacent child, DS9. Again too much creativity for his own good, and perhaps those fencing lessons were not the best decision we ever made, especially since he likes to "practice" on everything... and the pirate theme on this trip certainly was inspiration!!! But nevertheless, he does enjoy all our trips to Disney and especially, as of late, loves the Jack Sparrow character and the POTC movies... over and over and over again.

If you want to know more about us and the trips we have taken as a family and solo, please check out any of the links below! Otherwise I hope you have as much fun reading along as I will have writing!! This one promises to be a fun one!

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR
MY MAGICal Black Friday Thanksgiving Cruise - Nov '11 PTR/TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani * February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '12 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * July '13 AKV - Jambo * Sept '13 - AOA * Oct '13 - F & W SSR * Jan '14 AKV - Kidani * June '14 - BLT * August '14 Aulani * Halloween '14 Disney Wonder 5 night cruise * January '15 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * April '15 Disneyland resort *

Last edited by Happydog; 11-13-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:26 PM   #2
shannon47142
DIS Veteran

so excited to read about your trip
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-11-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

I'm here HD!!! So excited to read about your adventure!

Hey, you said DS9 watches Jack Sparrow over and over again like there is something wrong with that.......
Old 07-11-2011, 09:57 PM   #4
ZFamily5
DIS Veteran

I'm in! Can't wait to hear all about it!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2750029

2013 Disneyland Paris PTR:
Pixie Dust in Paris!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post47067772

2013 Disneyland Paris TR:
"She Ate Human!"
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3135334
Old 07-11-2011, 10:03 PM   #5
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon47142 View Post
so excited to read about your trip
Welcome! Thanks for reading!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
I'm here HD!!! So excited to read about your adventure!

Hey, you said DS9 watches Jack Sparrow over and over again like there is something wrong with that.......
HA!!! Yes, well, you do have me there.... TRUST me... I have been known to hit that PAUSE button a few times on the Blueray machine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFamily5 View Post
I'm in! Can't wait to hear all about it!
Hey thanks!!! Glad you are coming along! Should be fun, lots to share!

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani * February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '12 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * July '13 AKV - Jambo * Sept '13 - AOA * Oct '13 - F & W SSR * Jan '14 AKV - Kidani * June '14 - BLT * August '14 Aulani * Halloween '14 Disney Wonder 5 night cruise * January '15 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * April '15 Disneyland resort *
Old 07-11-2011, 10:05 PM   #6
IluvXU
DIS Veteran

Page one hooray! Glad to catch this before we leave tomorrow. I sure hope Vero did not disappoint!
Old 07-11-2011, 10:11 PM   #7
stace208
DIS Veteran

I'm here and can't wait to read all about it!!
Old 07-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #8
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

I'm here!!

OK - now I actually went back & read... sounds like you were off to a great start... unless the duffle bag doesn't show up!

I love that you live close to the autotrain. We looked into it once but it's so far away we just decided to fly.

I can't wait to read about all of your adventures to come.

Last edited by DisMomAmy; 07-15-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #9
dlm1017
Mouseketeer

I am new to your trip reports.. But you had me at "strapped sea turtles to our feet"

BTW how do I subscribe to a report and how does it work? Do es it send you a message when there is an update?

Dana
Old 07-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #10
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm1017 View Post
I am new to your trip reports.. But you had me at "strapped sea turtles to our feet"

BTW how do I subscribe to a report and how does it work? Do es it send you a message when there is an update?

Dana
Well HI there!!!! WELCOME!!!!! Yes, we are big Jack Sparrow fans here... for different reasons, obviously...

If you post or "reply" to a thread, you are automatically subscribed to it, I believe, at least that is how it has always worked for me!!!! And on the DIS toolbar, up where it has a tab that says "usercp" (I think it is up on the left corner for everyone) if you click on that, it will show you all the threads you are subscribed to, and the thread will be "bold" if there is a new update... I used to have all my subscriptions "email" alert me if there was a post, but that swallowed my email daily!! So I use that tab which shows me when I log in to the DIS what updates have happened to the various TRs and PTRs I read.

Hope it helps!!! Your ticker looks like you have a land and sea trip planned?

Old 07-23-2011, 06:57 PM   #11
dlm1017
Mouseketeer

Thank you! I do have land/sea trip scheduled our first Disney cruise on the Dream a 4 night in October followed by 6 nights club level in AKV its our 25th wedding anniversary! I am so excited so I am looking forward to your report and reading all about the Dream! I am 75 days today, I am thinking about booking a couples massage on Nassau day as we want to stay on the ship, have you used any of the spa services?

Dana
Old 07-23-2011, 09:49 PM   #12
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm1017 View Post
Thank you! I do have land/sea trip scheduled our first Disney cruise on the Dream a 4 night in October followed by 6 nights club level in AKV its our 25th wedding anniversary! I am so excited so I am looking forward to your report and reading all about the Dream! I am 75 days today, I am thinking about booking a couples massage on Nassau day as we want to stay on the ship, have you used any of the spa services?

Dana
Hey how exciting for you! We celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary this October too, though we have been together for 16 years! Now I must say you will truly have a fabulous time! IS this just you and your DH or with your children? DH and I went on the Dream in February, this past Feb for a 4 night -- just the two of us. I spent more time in that TR showing the boat and talking about stuff to do, etc. Feel free to check that one out, too, if you are looking for more info!! It is in my signature!!

I bet you are really excited. I am meeting some DIS friends for the F &W festival in October and I can't wait!!!!

Old 07-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #13
Happydog
DIS Veteran

So welcome back to my TR! This next morning was our day docked at Nassau. My DH and I thought long and hard about the plans for this day. We have been to Nassau as a couple, and though we had never been to Atlantis, we were not sure our children were of age to really enjoy and take advantage of an excursion there. I didn’t see a need to take them into Nassau, nor a beach area (since we were getting plenty of beach time in on this trip both at Castaway Cay and Vero!!!) and so with that in mind, this cruise we decided to stay on board, and take advantage of the Dream as a “destination” in itself . It was a good plan for our family, and I am glad we did! I think in November when we visit Nassau again, we may opt to go to Atlantis. Still thinking about plans for that trip, but my booking window opens in a few short weeks!!!!

Back to our Nassau day. We arrived in port, and I took a few photos while on deck and after exercising….

I went back to the room, got our pool stuff, and headed back up to the top deck to set up some chairs. DH was working out at this time, and the boys came with me. I got our seats set up, on the top deck, next to the mickey slide, and then we headed over to get breakfast, DH met us there, and we all ate at Cabanas. Gotta love that breakfast!!! After breakfast we walked back out on deck and headed straight to the Aqua Duck!!! After two rides, we sat down to watch the end of the first movie on the Funnelvision schedule that afternoon! The kids were down in the Mickey pool, which was great. I mean, watching a Disney movie in the pool, how cool is that??!! It was great for us, too because we could just relax without worrying about them.

I can't remember the first movie, but I know toy story was playing at one point, while we were there, who should walk by but Goofy! I got this picture of him.

Apparently Goofy spends some time on his course!!! By that point we were getting hot and ready for a drink. So DH walked over to the bar on that side of the ship… he came back shortly with two DOTD... GOTTA love that deal! So at some point shortly after, these fellas came by, staying as cool as they could. There were no lines to take pictures or visit with them, which was pretty cool! They waved a lot at the kids standing on the steps of the Mickey slide, because they could see them from over the railing of the deck. Their CM chit chatted with them in the shade and they posed for me!

Another ride on the Duck was in order for DH and DS9, DS6 was happily splashing around in the Mickey pool with some new found friends.
I got a few of them as they zipped around in the tube!!!

Looking at the Navigator, the boys decided they wanted to check out some of the activities in the club, so we went over to Cabanas get some late lunch and I took them over to the club. DH then went to the Adult side of the pool, and got us a few seats. It was hardly crowded, and we were in a nice location, just enjoying the sun and each other’s company! Knowing we had rainforest passes again, we decided to slip down to the spa and use them, and so before we had to get ready for Dinner, it was a good diversion! I love the rain room and the spa area. I plan to actually try the spa out officially next cruise, but I can’t get past the rain room and those heated tile lounges!!!

So that is all for now... It was a good plan for us to just stick around the ship, and I am glad we did for the kids, besides, we just had such a nice time enjoying the ship!! NEXT up our semi-formal night, dinner at the Royal Palace, Shuffle Board, AND... Mickey's Detective Agency!!!

Old 08-07-2011, 01:48 PM   #14
gallmcduck
Gallmcduck

Hey I need to catch up with the rest of your TR but I wanted to say hi. We've had a busy time since christmas, DISing has had to take a back seat, time to get DISing back on track now I am planning for our land/sea/land trip in 424 days not that I am counting
I missed your feburary ptr & tr but I will catch up on your february adventures and read all the fun for your october trip

Aug 1997 Offsite I Drive 14 Nights (ME & DH), Sept 1998 Offsite Kissimmee 14 Nights (ME & DH our engagement), Sept 1999 Offsite Kissimmee 14 Nights (ME & DH), Nov 2000 Poly & 4 Night Disney Wonder Eastern Cruise 14 Nights (ME & DH our Honeymoon), June 2001 Offsite Davenport Villa 14 Nights (ME, DH & family members), Sept 2002 Offsite Gulf Coast Clearwater 14 Nights (ME, DH & family members), June 2004 Offsite Kissimmee Villa 14 Nights (ME, DH, DS & family members), Sept 2005 Offsite & 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise 14 Nights (ME, DH, DS & family members), Sept 2006 Offsite I Drive (ME, DH, DS, DD & family members),October 2008 Offsite Vista Cay Condo 14 Nights (ME, DH, DS, DD & family members), July 2010 POR 17 Days (ME, DH, DS, DD1, DD2 & family members) October 2012 17 days Pop, Fantasy, OKW (ME, DH, DS, DD1, DD2 & family members July 2014 Gulfcoast Clearwater 3 nights, OKW 14 Nights (ME, DH, DS, DD1, DD2 & family members
Old 07-24-2011, 06:57 AM   #15
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

What a fun day at Castaway Cay! I can think of nothing better than relaxing in a chair and sipping a drink! Too bad it started to cloud up in the early afternoon, but it sounds like you had a great time back on the ship. How nice to see the same waitstaff at Palo's from February!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: