Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
Love That Mouse
Mouseketeer

Our First Trip to Hilton Head, Y'all! We are SOLD!

Hear Ye! Hear Ye!

Or as they say in Hilton Head, "Hear Y'all! Hear Y'all!"

Step right up as I tell the tale of a slightly hyper 43 year-old male scared of a beach vacation. . . . So when my lovely wife suggested a beach trip to Hilton Head, I was somewhat skeptical.

My questions to my lovely wife included:
  • "What will we do without a race for a "fastpass"?
  • "What will I do without a Mickey Ice Cream Bar?"
  • "What will we do without the fight for a dinner reservation six months in advance that I must get up at 7:00 AM during my day off so that we can use our Tables in Wonderland card and get free valet parking so that we can park in the resort parking lot then walk or take the monorail to the Magic Kingdom to watch the fireworks then when we leave we can just walk back or take the monorail to the resort and get our car at valet thus giving us an easy escape once the fireworks are over at the Magic Kingdom (this also works at EPCOT by the way, just be sure to park at the Beach Club). . . . "

So. . .In my first attempt at a "trip report". . . .enjoy! My DW will pop-in here every now and then to give you the wife view!

Oh! And there will be pictures!

So, without further ado. . . .
Old 06-25-2011, 10:32 PM   #2
ajf1007
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love That Mouse View Post
Hear Ye! Hear Ye!

Or as they say in Hilton Head, "Hear Y'all! Hear Y'all!"

Step right up as I tell the tale of a slightly hyper 43 year-old male scared of a beach vacation. . . . So when my lovely wife suggested a beach trip to Hilton Head, I was somewhat skeptical.

My questions to my lovely wife included:
  • "What will we do without a race for a "fastpass"?
  • "What will I do without a Mickey Ice Cream Bar?"
  • "What will we do without the fight for a dinner reservation six months in advance that I must get up at 7:00 AM during my day off so that we can use our Tables in Wonderland card and get free valet parking so that we can park in the resort parking lot then walk or take the monorail to the Magic Kingdom to watch the fireworks then when we leave we can just walk back or take the monorail to the resort and get our car at valet thus giving us an easy escape once the fireworks are over at the Magic Kingdom (this also works at EPCOT by the way, just be sure to park at the Beach Club). . . . "

So. . .In my first attempt at a "trip report". . . .enjoy! My DW will pop-in here every now and then to give you the wife view!

Oh! And there will be pictures!

So, without further ado. . . .
Yeah!!! I'm first! Ok, ready for the TR! Hopefully I can use it to convince my DH to take the trip to HHI, every time I mention it, he's all wishy washy!
ajf1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-25-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
Love That Mouse
Mouseketeer

Day #1 - Leaving MD. . .

Here's our cast of characters:

Myself - High School English/Drama teacher by day, Radio DJ at night
DW - Elementary School teacher
DS (12) - He's 12, need I say more. . . . ?
DS (2) - He's 2 and teething. . .need I say more?

We load up the Honda minivan and head south down 270, through the beltway, then on to 95. First thing you learn. . . DO NOT TAKE I-495 and I-95 through DC!!!! We left early and even doing that the traffic on the beltway and through Fredericksburg should be an embarrassment to civil engineers everywhere!

But I digress. . .

We stop in Florence, SC to give the entire group a break, to spend the night and to dream of marshland, the ocean, and sand. . . .

More soon (along with pictures, I promise. . . .).
Old 06-25-2011, 11:21 PM   #4
arthur06
DDC #689

Can't wait for the pics! Have a great time.

November '12 Disneyland/VGC Trip Report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2964937

arthur06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:35 AM   #5
SusieBea
DIS Veteran

I'm comin' along for the ride, ya'll!
Off-site '75, 82, 85; 89: CBR; 92: PO: 93: Disney Inn; 94: OKW(2); 95: OKW(2); 96: HHI & OKW(2); 97: VB & OKW; 98: OKW(3); 99: OKW, DCL, & BW; 2000: OKW & VWL; 01: HHI & OKW; 02: Ft. Wild. cabins; 03: OKW & GF; 05: OKW, SSR, & Yacht Club; 06: OKW; 07: OKW; 08: Grand Californian; 09: OKW; 10: OKW(2) & OKW Grand Villa! 2011: AKV (2) & OKW (3); 2012: OKW (3); 2013: OKW (3); 2014: BLT & Kidani; UPCOMING TRIPS:- 2014: GFV & OKW - Sept; OKW - December
SusieBea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:42 AM   #6
erikawolf2004
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

I'm in, we are planning a HH trip for next June....pls give lots of details, does and don'ts. Really looking forward to hearing all about it and seeing pics.

Erika

erikawolf2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:35 AM   #7
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

I'm glad you enjoy writing and drama, because I enjoy reading what you write! Looking forward to more.
Bobbi
Old 06-26-2011, 07:59 AM   #8
pascagoulabeach
"Doc"

I have never been a big fan of beach vacations but I am interested to see how things go with your trip.

For us it would be about a total of 10 hours driving. We would likely do this over two days (with a stop at my cousins house outside Atlanta).
Old 06-26-2011, 08:18 AM   #9
jekjones1558
Always happy at Disney

Can't wait to read more. I LOVED my one trip to HHI, and I too was a little skeptical when I booked. Keep those updates coming!
Old 06-26-2011, 08:34 AM   #10
lah3hh
DIS Veteran

OK, count me in...you got me hooked already! Love your writing style plus HHI is the EXACT reason we bought into DVC to begin with back in 1998. I can't wait to see it again through your eyes as you have your first experience.

It will be nothing like running to get your fastpass, making dining reservations long before you even know what time you will hungry, and frantically arranging your day to get in all the things the family wants to do.

This vacation should be about...deciding which pool you want to go to that day, how far down the beach to you want to walk and should you rent bicyles by the day or for the week. Tough decisions huh?

Keep it coming my friend...

2014 Vacation Plans:

March Las Vegas - RCI/DVC trade into a Hilton Grand Vacation Resort (This was awesome and truly loved the location along the strip!)

May/June WDW Beach Club 3 nights then on to 6 nights at Disney's Hilton Head Resort and then back to AKV for 3 additional nights

October DCL Wonder 5 night double dip followed by 7 nights at SSR

[B]That should be enough vacation time for the year I hope!!
lah3hh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:56 AM   #11
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikawolf2004 View Post
I'm in, we are planning a HH trip for next June....pls give lots of details, does and don'ts. Really looking forward to hearing all about it and seeing pics.

Erika
Ditto here except we are booked for the last week in October this year. Can't wait to read how your trip progressed, activities available, restaurants to visit and PICS, PICS, PICS!

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
saintstickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:00 AM   #12
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

As a true HHI fan, I'm here too! I'm also especially anxious to see pictures, as well as hear all about it.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:03 AM   #13
seelyt2
Mouseketeer

Wa-hooo! Leaving less than 2 months for our first trip to HHI, so I've got my listening ears on (well, reading ears? - nah, that doesn't make sense!) Any hoot - looking forward to your report

seelyt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #14
hbehrman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
Ditto here except we are booked for the last week in October this year. Can't wait to read how your trip progressed, activities available, restaurants to visit and PICS, PICS, PICS!
Ditto here as well except we are booked for the first week of October. We did an overnight last year (it is nicely halfway to WDW and home for us) and are hooked. Big surprise for me as DW is very very fair with red hair (she is the fairest of all to me)

The kids love it as well so we plan on going there more often. We may even buy in there at some point.
1975 to 1984 - once a year, stay offsite;1994 - offsite at Mariott, MK,EPCOT,MGM; 2006 - 1st wk Sept MYW with Free Dining at POR - Mansions, MNSSHP;2007 - 2nd wk Sept MYW with Free Dining at POR - Alligator Bayou, MNSSHP;2008 - 1st wk Sept MYW with Free Dining at POR - Alligator Bayou;2010 - 1st wk Jan at CBR - Pirate Room
DVC Era begins
2010 - Oct 2nd-8th AKV, POR 8-9th, HHI 9th-10th
2011 - Oct 2nd-7th HHI

hbehrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:33 PM   #15
dvcfamily41801
Has realized you can NEVER have too many DVC points
Would love to be a teachers assistant in an elementary school
Florida Project station takes me to my Happy Place

You MUST check out Nick's Seafood down the street from the resort!!!! Its truly Steelers Nation!!! Not to mention great food!

Look forward to your report!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: