Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
tinkerLA
Earning My Ears

why do you like the poly... Oh yeah everything!

The polynesian is the best Disney resort, in my opinion! In fact it is my favorite resort period. It is my favorite part of disney. The poly gives you the feeling of being on a Hawaii beach while still giving you the magic of Walt Disney World! With soo many things the Poly has to offer, for example rental boats, arcade, quiet pool and volcano pool. Your Whole family will have fun. My favorite things of the Poly is staying at club level, watching Magic Kingdom's fireworks in a hammack on the beach, and all the activities for the kids/teens. This is a thread all about the poly. Whatever questions you may have anything, this is where you'll find the answer. I have so many more things I love about the Poly! Whats yours?
Old 06-14-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
PHLtoMCO
Disboards helps me cut back on Facebook.

We will arrive at the Poly on June 30th for 8 days! I know it sounds weird but my sister and I love smell when you walk in to the GCH. Sometimes we'll be at random places back home and we'll say "it's the poly smell!!" Growing up we stayed there a lot and now it's become my daughter's favorite Disney resort as well. Some of the other reasons it was always my favorite as a kid (and still is) is the Neverland Club, gift shops always seemed to be better, convenience of the monorail, watching the lagoon parade, watching the fireworks on the beach, and taking out the sea raycer boats. I could go on and on... It's by far my favorite
PHLtoMCO is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2011, 08:05 PM   #3
princssdisnygina
Disney Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoMCO View Post
We will arrive at the Poly on June 30th for 8 days! I know it sounds weird but my sister and I love smell when you walk in to the GCH. Sometimes we'll be at random places back home and we'll say "it's the poly smell!!" Growing up we stayed there a lot and now it's become my daughter's favorite Disney resort as well. Some of the other reasons it was always my favorite as a kid (and still is) is the Neverland Club, gift shops always seemed to be better, convenience of the monorail, watching the lagoon parade, watching the fireworks on the beach, and taking out the sea raycer boats. I could go on and on... It's by far my favorite
ME TOO! LOVE LOVE LOVE the smell! It reminds me of being there as a kid! And I do the same thing.... I relate a lot of smells to those at Disney, including the Poly!
princssdisnygina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
ChrisM
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I know it sounds weird but my sister and I love smell when you walk in to the GCH. Sometimes we'll be at random places back home and we'll say "it's the poly smell!!"
That smell is mold and mildew. Blech.
ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
mirage0306
DIS Veteran

The poly is one of a few resorts we are considering for next time. I love the theme!

WDW: Wilderness Lodge 2011 | Caribbean Beach, Boardwalk Inn CL, Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 | Polynesian CL, Animal Kingdom Lodge CL 2013

DLR: Candy Cane Inn 2013 | Candy Cane Inn, Grand Californian 2014
mirage0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:57 PM   #6
PHLtoMCO
Disboards helps me cut back on Facebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
That smell is mold and mildew. Blech.
I think you're out numbered Chris M!!
1989-Poly, 1990-Big Red Boat/Poly, 1992-Poly, 1993-BC, 1995-Poly, 1996-BC, 1997-Poly, 1999-Poly, 2001-BWI, 2003-Poly, 2005-Poly, 2006-Poly/Sports, 2007-BWV, 2008-POP, 2009-ASM, 2010-BWV, 2011-Poly, 2012-BCV/POP, 2012-Poly, 2013-POP, 2013-AKL, 2013-BLT, 2014-POP,
2014-POP,

runDisney races - ToT 13k, ToT 10 miler, EEC, PHM, Enchanted 10k, GSC, Coast2Coast, next up....Avengers Half Marathon!
PHLtoMCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:14 PM   #7
ChrisM
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I think you're out numbered Chris M!!
Oh, I know I'm outnumbered. But the nose doesn't lie!

I can still remember the first time I went to the Poly - after all of the lavish praise I was expecting to be blown away. And boy, was I. As soon as we caught a whiff inside the GCH, my wife and I looked at each other and both said, "You have to be kidding me.". We couldn't take more than 10 minutes inside before being forced to retreat outside for some fresh air.

Having visited the resort a few more times, I can understand the appeal of the resort to some people, I simply don't share it; if I did share it, however, that funk would be a deal breaker.

Of the things I do like about the resort, it is uniquely situated across the lake from the MK and adjacent to the TTC. And the grounds and beach are lovely, particularly at night. But the interior and rooms come across as dark and dingy to me, the restaurants as sub-par when compared to those at the other monorail resorts, and the theme as the ultimate in kitsch - like a giant recreation of the Brady Bunch trip to Hawaii. There was a 70's era obsession with the south Pacific that this resort still seems to be attached to.

To each their own, Poly smell lovers!
ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:58 PM   #8
EeyoreFanInTX
Earning My Ears

I'll be there in a couple weeks.. first time at the Poly. first time to Disney for my 5 yr old daughter. can't wait. we didn't do the character meal at the Poly but only becuz my dd doesn't really know Lilo & Stitch. We're doing 5 other character meals though.

EeyoreFanInTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:26 PM   #9
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

I love relaxing in the hammocks on the beach listening to the boat whistles as the boats go back and forth to MK . I also have to agree about the smell in the lobby.....I love that, along with hearing the waterfall, the minute I enter . We have loved all the resorts we've stayed at, but the Poly will always be our favorite.....we just love everything about it .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:48 PM   #10
mickey2minnie1
DIS Veteran

We love the Poly, and have no desire to stay elsewhere. My DS 14 and I love the smell too. My DH loves the access to the monorail and watching Wishes from the beach and not having to be on Main Street. My DS 11 loves the volcano pool best. My DD 8 loves playing in the sand while we watch Wishes.

I love to walk the paths at night with my DH while listening to the music. The restaurants offer so much for all of us too. I like having a character meal right in our resort.

We just love the Poly! It is a paradise.
Nov/Dec 2010 5 nights at the Poly with my 3 children
June 2010 3 nights at the Poly w/ DH
Oct/Nov 2009 8 nights at the Poly GVCL
Oct/Nov 2007 9 nights at the Poly

Me DH DS 17 DS 14 DD 12 Sebastian 6
mickey2minnie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:47 PM   #11
tinkerLA
Earning My Ears

I agree with all of what yall have said. All of these things makes me soo excited about my next trip next month!! (:
Old 06-15-2011, 08:59 AM   #12
WDWLODGE
Mouseketeer

The Poly is def one of our favorite resorts. The convienence of MK and Epcot monorails is great.
'80 Offsite + '99 Contemporary (Honeymoon) + '00 Carribbean Beach & Wilderness Lodge + '00 Disneyland + '01 Wilderness Lodge + '02 Coronado Springs + '03 Animal Kingdom Lodge + '04 PO Riverside & Wilderness Lodge + '05 PO French Quarter + '06 Pop Century & Disney Magic (May 6th Western) + '06 Polynesian + Nov/Dec '07 - Pop Century & Disney Magic(Dec 1st Western) + '08 Disneyland + Nov '09 PO French Quarter & Nov. 14th DCL Magic Double Dip + '10 Boardwalk + Oct '11 Wilderness Lodge + Oct '12 Caribbean Beach + Nov '13 1st DVC (Kidani Village) & Nov 16th Eastern Fantasy + Next: Nov '14 Bay Lake Tower
WDWLODGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:24 PM   #13
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

I have the most amazing memories associated with the Poly from when I was a little girl to our first meal at Ohanas to our first stay there in CL last yr.. I love the feel, the music, the ambaince, I love the smell and sound of the water in the GCH. I love shopping in boutikiki for dresses to wear on vacation and jewelery and art in Wyland.
I love the convenience of the monorail to GF, CR and MK and Ep. Wow Im really really missing it right now.. We will be at WDW this weekend but at CBR for a pirate room for DSS.. Ill have to wait until Sept to be back at the Poly!!
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:32 AM   #14
Dizneefamily+4
Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!

I Love reading about what everyone else loves about the POLY! We're heading for our first POLY stay this August and can't wait! Poly has long been a dream and we're finally making it a reality. I hope it meets all of our expectations - not that I'm worried!
Keep these posts coming - they make me even more excited than I already am!!!
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Dizneefamily+4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:07 AM   #15
sonjaandsue
Mouseketeer

Our 5 year old son fell in love with the Poly. We stayed there in January and he is still obsessed - drawing pictures of Tiki statues, torches, & volcanoes. We just listened to Hawai'ian music this morning going to preschool. It was his favorite part of the vacation - even more than fighting Darth Vader!

I loved the torches at night - I have no idea why I loved them so much but I did!
sonjaandsue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
activities, disney, poly, polynesian, resorts

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: