Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
TarzansKat
I may be TarzansKat, but I love Captain Jack!
Wow. It's still getting pretty hot around here

Commando v. Casual - The Innate Planner Battles the Inner Pirate - 2-8 P22

And so it begins.

For previous musings about this trip, go here.

Last edited by TarzansKat; 02-08-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
TarzansKat

Chapter Links

My Family

A Room With A View

The Magic Kingdom - In Which I Acquiesce To MJS’ Request

They're Called Smores, Buzz

"Ladies And Gentlemen, Boys And Girls..."

For Those of You Who Are Curious...

Hooray for Hollywood!

My Baby is One!

The Hollywood Brown Derby

You Know, I Wonder...

What Dairy Allergy, I Want Caramel!

The Magic Kingdom - Where Dreams Come True

TSM Or Bust!!!

Alright, Where Was I?

Last edited by TarzansKat; 02-08-2012 at 01:44 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
TarzansKat

My Family AKA The Crazies Who Come On These Trips

Or, as some would like to call it, the introduction.

There’s not much like getting ready to leave on your Walt Disney World vacation. You’ve done the planning…or lack thereof. You’ve done the packing. You’ve made your lists and checked them two, three times.

Especially when you’re traveling with a baby.

Hi, I’m TarzansKat. For those of you who don’t know me yet, some call me TK or just Kat. I love my family, I love Disney, and I love bringing the two together. I’m obsessed with Captain Jack Sparrow, and that’s putting it mildly. I’ve made some incredible friends here on the DIS, many of whom have been instrumental in helping me after the untimely passing of my mother last year.

This trip was my first trip without her. I’d be remiss if I didn’t talk a little bit about how it all got started. My mother is the woman who gave me Disney. And it started…in the womb! My very first trip to Disney World was while my mother was pregnant with me. I made it my own personal mission to go to the World while I was pregnant with my children as well. Get ‘em started right, I say. Plus, is there anything better than Disney food while you’re pregnant? :::sigh:::

I digress.

This was my first trip without my mother. It was good, and it was hard. It was everything I expected, some things I didn’t, and most of all, it was a blessing.

Not only were we going without Mom, but we were taking Squirt for the first time. Squirt is our ten month old baby, and I was so excited for his first Disney trip, even if it was a little bittersweet. We have a six year old son, Nemo. The other players on this trip were my husband, MJS (My Jack Sparrow), and Nana.

Nana is my mother’s mom. So it was really something pretty special to be on this trip with her.

There was a lot of emotion leading up to this trip, and sometimes, emotions ran pretty high on vacation. We had some less than stellar moments, I’m not ashamed to admit. At times, I felt like we were “those people.”

But there were times that were amazing. Times that were magical, and times that I looked at my children or my husband or my grandmother and felt so blessed. And, true to form, you’ll find that some of my best memories from this trip had nothing to do with theme park attractions, but unplanned moments.

And really, it’s those moments of complete spontaneity that are the best kind.

Next Chapter

Last edited by TarzansKat; 06-14-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
pooh'smate
My ticker is actually a day off

I am here. Glad to see you started and to hear you had a good trip overall.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
TarzansKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh'smate View Post
I am here. Glad to see you started and to hear you had a good trip overall.
Happy to have you here!
Old 06-13-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
jenb1023
DIS Veteran

Welcome back! So glad to hear that overall the trip was good! I'm looking forward to hearing about the great moments and memories!

Apr 22-28, 2007 - WL, Jan 26-Feb 2, 2008 - AKL, Nov 15-23, 2008 - Pop,

Oct 30-Nov 3, 2009 Pop - me and DD, May 15-17, 21-23, 2010 - Universal/Poly
Jan 22-30, 2011 - POFQ, May 10-13, 2012 DCL on the Dream Sept 7-11, 2012 DD's surprise bday trip - BC
Old 07-10-2011, 06:48 AM   #7
nessz79
DIS Veteran

Subscribing!
Old 07-10-2011, 06:50 AM   #8
TarzansKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Well, you know, Disney is raising the bar and putting in all sorts of games now into their queues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessz79 View Post
Subscribing!

I'm just about to post the next chapter!
Old 07-10-2011, 06:54 AM   #9
TarzansKat

"Ladies And Gentleman, Boys And Girls..."

"Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, The Magic Kingdom proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination in thousands of sparkling lights and electro-synthe-magnetic musical sounds. The Main Street Electrical Parade!"

Now I have to admit. I didn’t necessarily think we’d get to see this parade. It is my absolute favorite from my childhood. I think the only thing I prefer more now is the Boo to You parade at the Halloween party. And that’s probably only because it’s got my favorite pirate swaggering about in it. But if you asked me to pick, truthfully, I’d probably pick the Main Street Electrical Parade.

Something about this particular parade reminds me of being a kid in Disney World. It brings me back to a time when my parents took me, when, in a lot of ways, life was just simpler. When instead of being the caregiver, I was taken care of. And that parade makes me feel that warm, that loved, that nostalgic. And it’s wonderful.

We were heading out of Tomorrowland, toward Main Street and noticed that it was about that time. I didn’t even think we’d be able to see it since we hadn’t lined up in advance and Main Street and the hub were pretty well packed.

As we got to Main Street, it was just starting. MJS found this tiny spot under the ropes where Nemo and I could fit. Squirt was asleep in his stroller, pretty much done for the night. The cast members were directing you to either get under the rope or move it along, folks. MJS hung out with the stroller in the doorway to the candy shop, and Nana, Nemo, and I all fit under the rope. Now, let me tell you a little bit about the kindness of strangers. The woman next to me, instead of being perturbed that we were last minute participants…and let me tell you, I was super aware of not taking anyone else’s space…was so kind, she offered to let Nemo stand in further up with her kids. He was too shy to do it for very long, but it was the nicest gesture, and I so appreciated it. I felt we were being smiled down upon this whole day and this was just another kindness to add to the blessings we’d already received.

I know you’re probably going to be disappointed, but I don’t have any pictures. MJS asked me while I was watching if I wanted to take the camera out and I said no. I didn’t want to watch that parade from behind a lens. I wanted to enjoy it. The sight, the sound, yes, even the people around me.

There have been times when we haven’t seen the parade due to weather, and times that I can remember when we caught it on the fly, just like we did that night. One of those was the first time we took my FIL, which was a huge deal since he and MJS didn’t have the best relationship at one point.

I thought of all those times, and I thought of watching it with my Mom, of course. I thought about her a lot this day, this trip…I think about her now while I’m writing it.

We didn’t watch the whole thing as Nemo got a little antsy toward the end and really wanted to get moving. Nana had promised him she’d get him a bag of cotton candy. At the time, we didn’t realize they were a snack credit, so she paid for it out of pocket. Before that, we’d gone over to watch them making it, and low and behold, it was my favorite purple!!!!

Do you know about purple cotton candy? It’s the glorious flavor that happens when they’re changing over from pink to blue. You get a few glorious bags of purple, and it’s the best flavor ever. Well, we couldn’t convince Nemo that he wanted purple cotton candy (he picked blue) but they were handing out samples! Of purple!!! I was even heaven. I couldn’t eat a whole bag, but I sure could enjoy a sample. We got one for everyone, and it was an awesome moment.

Did I mention it was cold in there?

Anyway, cotton candy in hand, I led my family over to the hat shop.

Because we were going to buy mouse ears? No.

Because I had a little special something I wanted to do with them.

For those of you who don’t know, there’s an old style telephone on the wall in the hat shop near one of the doors. If you pick it up and listen to it, you’ll hear a party line, mostly a conversation of a girl talking to her mother.

Mom and I did this in January. I have the best pictures of us by that phone. And I decided that my family needed to do this too. It just…seemed right. Even though it was hard to do specific things I had done with her, and it gave me that ache in my chest, it was good to do them as well.

Everyone really liked it! I didn’t tell them what it was, and I made Nemo go first. He thought it was funny to listen to, but tired of it pretty quickly. MJS and Nana got a kick out of it, and I listened for a bit to bring back those memories.

Having had the day that we’d had, we didn’t really feel the need to do anything else. We’d gotten in some of Nemo’s favorite rides, and we’d had some really magical moments. Our vacation had started with a bang!

One can only imagine what’s in store…

Next Chapter

Last edited by TarzansKat; 07-12-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:37 AM   #10
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Ah, I always love reading about the Main Street Electrical Parade! You know how I feel about it, and you are right, it just brings back a flood of childhood memories!

I will have to let Chelsea read your post later today -- she argued with me yesterday whether Disney had cotton candy or not. Now, let me tell you how that all began. She said, "My favorite things are roller coasters, fireworks, and cotton candy." To which I responded, "Well, then you should love Disney." To which she replied -- they don't have cotton candy. Anyway, long story short, now maybe she will believe me when I say that yes, Disney does have cotton candy.

I am so glad you had that moment with the telephone with your family.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:23 PM   #11
KatMark
DIS Veteran

I'm here! I'm so glad you've started. Off to bed (long day tomorrow), but I'll be back to read soon.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #12
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends
now I have some things to plan, I'm going to try to get the Dapper Dans

Your title has sparked my curiosity, Will be subbing
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Old 06-17-2011, 07:36 AM   #13
TarzansKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
I'm here! I'm so glad you've started. Off to bed (long day tomorrow), but I'll be back to read soon.

Oddly enough, I have a long day today as well. Swim class, doctor, Nemo to school, dentist, pick Nemo up from school...I plan on collapsing tonight. Preferrably with some alcoholic libation to sooth my travel weary soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Commando View Post
Your title has sparked my curiosity, Will be subbing

Oh my goodness! A real, official commando!!!

I hope I live up to your standards. I'm sure that I did at certain points. And I'll apologize in advance for our moments of whimsy. After all, we are

Old 06-17-2011, 10:49 AM   #14
Bethany1023
Earning My Ears

delurking to try and figure out how to subscribe. I too have known the shock of losing a parent, as we come up on fathers day I will celebrate with my DH, then have a cry for my own dad.

So glad you guys are taking this trip. have fun!
Old 06-17-2011, 11:10 AM   #15
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Okay, caught up.

Glad you arrived safely. And love the room location and the view! I am sure that your angel definitely had something to do with that.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: