Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Where are you most likely to be attacked by Birds at WDW
Magic Kingdom 1 6.25%
Animal Kingdom 8 50.00%
Epcot 3 18.75%
Hollywood Studios 0 0%
Waterparks 0 0%
Downtown Disney 1 6.25%
your resort 4 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Smile Technical Difficulties - Two Sisters take on WDW- update 6/18 typhoon lagoon

Unlike some DIS posters I won't make you wait until the end of the trip report to learn the inspiration for the title of this TR. And against all better judgement, here's the link to the brilliant YouTube video DSis and I were lucky enough to see before our trip (some stronger language is in the clip).

This is my very first trip report and you are welcome to read my very first Pre Trip Report by clicking on my signature. Otherwise I won't bore you with my who, when, why and where.

So are you with me? Let's get started there's hundreds of photos to go through and tons of Technical Difficulties along the way, but don't worry nobody died on this trip report.

Last edited by jegsnakkernorsk; 06-18-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Taking off and first technical difficulty

It all starts Thursday, June 2nd.

4:45am wake up – My mind is preoccupied with my job interview which will take place the morning after I get back! But I groggily get dressed and head down stairs to the kitchen. Then because my mind is still not awake I decide to start putting away clean dishes from the washer instead of packing my phone that was sitting on the kitchen counter where it was still plugged into the charger! I was halfway done with the dishes when my DSis called out that the cab had arrived. Already!? Boy was I out of it.

At the gate I grabbed a small Coke and hash brown from McDonald’s and tried to e-mail my mentor using my laptop with some thoughts about my upcoming interview, but the wifi was down – the first of many technical difficulties. And that is when I realized I forgot my blackberry! 5 days without my blackberry, could I survive??

I had my laptop and my DSis had her phone but I would be mostly cut off. Very scary but that meant I would truly be on vacation and DSis would not be annoyed by me checking email instead of talking to her while in lines. My DSis was only concerned that we would not be able to use the WDW queue times App, which we had downloaded special for the trip!

The plane was nearly empty so we got as much peanuts, biscuits, and pretzels as we could want. I just put one of each in my purse for later!

Reading the inflight magazine, I was quickly reminded how everyone else can't travel without their blackberry (or smart phone).
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Get in line!

Magic express – actually was magically express. We didn’t wait too long to board or to take off to the World. We stopped at Pop Century first. The most magical part was that we were an hour ahead of our itinerary!

Here's the Magic Express bus in action!

We got in line for online check in – this took a while. There was a woman with two kids who got upset that DSis had cut in front of them but we couldn’t tell she wasn’t with the family at a counter since they were in front of the stanchions and honestly were so close to the family checking in that no one would have known they weren’t all the same house-hold. When I saw her motion her frustration we figured out that she was waiting and let her go ahead of us. To which she then said she didn’t need to go ahead of us, but I insisted. Do people not have banks or airline check in lines where they come from? How can you not know to stand behind the end of the stanchion for the next available counter and not stand directly behind someone at a counter? And then how can you throw a temper tantrum and then act all embarrassed when someone tries to help you – oh well, perhaps it was a long morning for her and her two kids and she just wasn’t thinking.

So after a few minutes a new counter opened and our girl was being trained – we were clearly the first guests she had ever talked to - but the trainer got us a room that was already ready – this was at 10:30 am. And she got our separate credit cards on each Key to the World card. We were confused on how to get to our room – 5661 Aruba (CBR is really big!). We took a bell hop – a passenger van just for us and our one carryon bag. The guy was from Haiti and nice. He drove us to Aruba and then took us up to our room. We probably wouldn’t have found it without him or a lot of wandering around. Our room is a corner room on the second floor. Very near to the bus stop but on the side facing a courtyard – not the parking lot.

our standard nemo room

on the bed spread

now back to the itinerary:

Last edited by jegsnakkernorsk; 06-12-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Day One Itinerary Card

We had lamenated itinerary cards for each day. We did this so that we always had some idea of what we could do and so we would pace ourselves - and also to keep track of all those free meals and free snacks!
Here's a photo:

Thursday, June 2 – Magic Kingdom Credits: 20QS - 20S
6:49 Leave DCA for Orlando (Conf# GFON5R, Delta 2073, Seats 19E, 19D)
9:30 Arrive MCO
10:30 Magic Express Bus to Caribbean Beach Resort (CBR)
11:30 Check-in at CBR
12:00 Lunch CBR; Free mug for soda, get bottled water w/ Lunch 2QS
1:30 Bus to Magic Kingdom (MK)
2:30 Arrive at MK – Shops and Vehicles
5:00 Flag Retreat and brass band
5:40 Dinner at Cosmic Rays 2QS
6:00 Tomorrowland – People Mover
6:45 Main Street shops and vehicles
7:30 Main Street Ice Cream Shop 2S
8:00 Get spot on Main Street near Casey’s HotDogs for parade and fireworks
9:00 Disney’s Electric Parade
10:00 Wishes Nighttime Spectacular Fireworks; Kiss Goodnight
10:40 Kiss Goodnight
11:00 Return to CBR
Old 06-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Taking a break at CBR

I put on a bathing suit that I had in my backpack.

We walked (5 mins) to Caribbean Cay and saw a lot of local wildlife – ducks, turtles, dive-bombing birds, fish.
george! (that's what I used to call lizards as a kid)
if you see this bird - run

We picked up our free refillable resort mugs and filled them up with sodas.

I went into the hot tub behind the fort and it was empty. DSis called mom from the pool side.

We relaxed and forgot about our real lives as we sat by the water and watched rented boats go by.

We then had lunch at the food court. Click here for food photos and commentary.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #6
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Off to Magic Kingdom

We returned to our room to find that my suitcase magically arrived and I unpacked and showered and dressed for the park. We went to the bus stop and on to Magic Kingdom on time according to our itinerary. (We're such geeks!)

We got to the park at 2pm – fireworks at the castle (for a show) went off right as we got to the park on the bus. We immediately took the train around 1.5 times. The park was packed. All the park guests were super sweaty and cranky. We got off at Frontierland the second time around.

We got a Big Thunder Mountain Fastpass as we walked by. Then we walked on the boardwalk part – it was so crowded everywhere and so hot. We got on the riverboat, sailing by an old settlers cabin and an Indian Encampment. I also swear I saw a swamp person (from the History Channel Show).

Tags
cbr, qsdp

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: