Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
Smuggs
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 80

Back from Southwest Splendors

Just got back, spent a few days visiting relatives en route. Will do a quick recap and try to answer any questions.

Pre-Night - Embassy Suites Tempe - Was perfectly fine. Staff really great, and the breakfast was fantastic. Arrived late and left at 10am, so did not have much time there. Well worth the $89 AAA rate.

Guides - Fantastic. Tiffany and Chris get 5 Stars from us.

16 total adventurers. 4 of these were junior adventurers between 10-15. Great kids, Great adults.

Sedona- windy as heck. Amara was very nice. Dinner was SW food and breakfast was very good. Ate dinner at cowboy club, cactus fries were awful. Would not order the sampler again, probably would not eat there again. Wish we did Oak Creek Brewery instead.

Grand Canyon - Hotel not as bad as I expected. Breakfasts were horrid. Ate frosted flakes both days, it was safest choice. Guides know it stinks, but Xanterra rules the roost.

Moab - Red Cliff is fantastic. We had the cabins. Did ATV and horseback riding on our own and loved both. River was very high and they expect to have the lawn at Red Cliffs flood this week. Nothing they can do about it, just clean up after. Food here is very good.

Flights - long if you are coming from East Coast.

Ask away!
Smuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #2
mcgrawfamily
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 20

Regarding the wind did you have to wear jackets or was it still warm? We are leaving for this tour on the 17th and figuring out what to bring. Also with the river being high were the rapids more dangerous?
mcgrawfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-07-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
Smuggs
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrawfamily View Post
Regarding the wind did you have to wear jackets or was it still warm? We are leaving for this tour on the 17th and figuring out what to bring. Also with the river being high were the rapids more dangerous?
We dressed in layers. I wore a T- shirt, with a long sleeved button down shirt over it, then had a lined windbreaker jacket over that. Some days just windbreaker, some days just a long sleeve shirt.

Nights and very early mornings at the Grand Canyon were down right cold really. Was 23º the one morning, but warmed up nicely as day went on. Had my denim jacket that morning at the watchtower.

The rapids were non-existant due to the high water really. Class 1 easy at most. Had a great time though. I think this trip may get the record for the fastest time down water, we were moving FAST with the current. Was not the least bit dangerous.
Smuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #4
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,491
DISboards Moderator

Welcome back! I'm so glad you enjoyed SWS, but I'm totally not surprised, as I think it's one of ABD's best itineraries!

We had Chris when I went in 2008, and I agree he's top notch! I've heard lots of good things about Tiffany, also.

You got to stay in the cabins at Red Cliffs Lodge?? Lucky you! Those are the Deluxe accommodations at what's already a Deluxe resort! I loved the Red Cliffs Lodge, and hope to go back there some day!

We actually had *SNOW* at the Grand Canyon when I went in May of 2008, so the cold temps you're reporting aren't that surprising. Amazing how it warms up so quickly!

Thanks for reporting in. Any photos you're going to share???

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
Aunt Cawa


Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Way too far from Anaheim and the Big A
Posts: 684

Welcome back! Glad you had a great trip! When we were at the Grand Canyon it 100 degrees at the rim. Glad you had much better weather!
__________________
"The guy wearing the lampshade is seldom the brightest bulb, okay." Pepe the King Prawn
Aunt Cawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
Smuggs
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Welcome back! I'm so glad you enjoyed SWS, but I'm totally not surprised, as I think it's one of ABD's best itineraries!

We had Chris when I went in 2008, and I agree he's top notch! I've heard lots of good things about Tiffany, also.

You got to stay in the cabins at Red Cliffs Lodge?? Lucky you! Those are the Deluxe accommodations at what's already a Deluxe resort! I loved the Red Cliffs Lodge, and hope to go back there some day!

We actually had *SNOW* at the Grand Canyon when I went in May of 2008, so the cold temps you're reporting aren't that surprising. Amazing how it warms up so quickly!

Thanks for reporting in. Any photos you're going to share???

Sayhello
Am not the best photographer, but will post some once I go through them and try to write more details as well.

Yes, we were in the cabins along the river. They were really nice! Sitting out on the deck at night with all the stars was wonderful. The resort was fully booked so they upgraded us, was a nice surprise.
Smuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:35 PM   #7
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,491
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smuggs View Post
Am not the best photographer, but will post some once I go through them and try to write more details as well.

Yes, we were in the cabins along the river. They were really nice! Sitting out on the deck at night with all the stars was wonderful. The resort was fully booked so they upgraded us, was a nice surprise.
I am *so* jealous!!!!

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
dismiss
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: orange county, NY
Posts: 211

I am So excited! I Love reading other peoples trip reports.
We leave in just under 2 months for SWS. August 6

Glad to hear you had a great time.

Re the Embassy Suites- Do they have a free shuttle to the airport, or do you have to arrange your own transport?

Thanks for the info
dismiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.