Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2011, 07:17 PM   #1
aboveH20
DIS Veteran

What do you think about Yosemite & DL?

The cold and rainly weather at WDW for the last three Februarys has made me think it's time to go back to Disneyland -- not in February. I see by Mapquest that Yosemite is a 6+ hour drive from Annaheim. How long do you think I would need to make it worthwhile? 3-4 days at Disneyland, a travel day and 2-3 at Yosemite?? I know Yosemite gets crowded, what's the best month to go? ( I'm thinking I'd fly into LA and out of San Francisco.)

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I had great luck with my Las Vegas/Grand Canyon trip in Oct. based on tips from this board.

Disneyland Disney World Disneyland Paris Disney Cruise Aulani Next?
aboveH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
mama2dutchies
Mouseketeer

It depends on when you would go because you have to worry about even being able to get in there in the winter..

Yosemite is GORGEOUS.. BUT if you want to go there.. I would get your reservations for Yosemite FIRST then plan everything else around, because people book a year in advance.

DLR- May 2009, offsite (staybridges suites)
WDW- Feb 2011, Disney Yacht Club
DLR- June 2011, Paradise Pier Hotel
WDW- Dec 2013.. change of plans from DLR!!!
mama2dutchies is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds

I would do early September. I have not been to Yosemite in acouple of years but it has to be the beautiful place on this earth. Crowds drop of at both places when school is back in and snow is rare in Yosemite at this time of the year.

Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
Butterfly123
DIS Veteran

I love Yosemite...there is so much to do, four days would be best if you like to hike. One day for the drive to Tuolumne Meadows, one day for driving up to Glacier Point, and a must do hike to Sentinal Dome (2.5 mile round trip hike starting at Taft point...easy hike, way less busy than Glacier Point, and a 360 degree view of the valley...stunning), one day for a hike up Vernal Falls...maybe up to Nevada Falls. And one day for all the small walks in the valley floor, like Bridalveil Falls, and Yosemite Falls. When we go to Yosemite was stay ay Yosemite View Lodge...it is the closest hotel to the entrance on highway 140. If you get a river view room it is right on the Merced River. It is expensive, but way cheaper than the park, and a very short drive in. We went last June. It was busy, but not crazy. The weather was warm, but not too hot. We have kids in school, so off season doesn't work for us.
Butterfly123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
I❤MICKEY
DIS Veteran

California Adventure

Your plan is about 2/3's of our plan. We are calling it our California adventure.

We live in Utah so we are driving to Yosemite and camping for 3 nights. Then we drive to Sequoia and camp there for 2 nights. Then drive to Anaheim and go to DL for 4 nights. I wanted to make the most of the limited time I have off.

We are going the first week of June. We really want to see the waterfalls in Yosemite and have heard that many are dry by early July. We will be in DL mid-week and by going in early June hopefully most kids will still be in school so it won't be quite as busy.

As for having to book super far in advance we booked everything in late February. I did all my research for the camping and DL in order to see what was available and what dates would work. I booked the camping first (someone else recommended this too). We are actually camping in National Forrest campgrounds just outside the parks.

I have heard that September is great in both Yosemite and DL. The kids are back in school and the weather is still really nice. I would have considered this but I really wanted to see the waterfalls.
I❤MICKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:13 PM   #6
Happy Birthday Cat
Wonders if the Hokey Pokey is REALLY what its all about?
And is Otto the one?

We love Yosemite but have never combined a trip to both places. We have combined a trip to DLR and Monterey and it worked fine along the same lines as you describe. We did that last summer and we had a great time.

In the spring we went to Yosemite. It is by far the best time to go since the waterfalls are in full glory. Most Yosemite waterfalls are the result of snow melt so catching them in the spring is when they are at their best. The other side of that is that Tioga Pass and Tuolumne Meadows were not accessable because of snow. Glacier Point opened while we were there and in some places where we were there was still eight feet of snow. But it was spectacular and our teenagers loved it.

Have a great trip. You won't regret it. (Note the link in my signature. There is so much more to Yosemite than Yosemite Valley).

HBC

Learn about Restoring Hetch Hetchy at http://www.hetchhetchy.org/

Happy Birthday Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:12 AM   #7
aboveH20
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2dutchies View Post
Yosemite is GORGEOUS.. BUT if you want to go there.. I would get your reservations for Yosemite FIRST then plan everything else around, because people book a year in advance.
Good point, thanks for the reminder. One summer I worked for the company that does camping reservations for Yosemite. It was BY FAR the most popular campground we made reservations for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackdelta View Post
I would do early September. I have not been to Yosemite in acouple of years but it has to be the beautiful place on this earth. Crowds drop of at both places when school is back in and snow is rare in Yosemite at this time of the year.

Jack
September works for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchOwl View Post
I love May and September when most campgrounds are open, but the crowds are not in full force, providing you avoid major holidays. There is also something to be said for Yosemite in winter, especially if you are enjoying it in front of a fire at the Ahwahnee!

Since you are only planning 3-4 days at Disneyland, I know some might encourage you to skip Yosemite and stay at Disneyland the whole time. I would say, could you extend your trip by a day or two? That way you could do 5 days at Disney, 1 travel day, and at least 3 days in Yosemite. It would be hard to do Yosemite in 2 days I think.

Anyway, I would highly recommend visiting Yosemite if you can, it is definitely the crown jewel of our parks!

ETA: if going in May or September avoid camping in the valley, it can still be a little warm there. The valley floor in yosemite is actually quite low elevation wise. Stick to the upper campgrounds (hubby and I like the White Wolf one) where you will have crisp mornings and temperate afternoons and fewer bugs.
Thanks for the enthusiastic recommendation. I could do three days in the Yosemite area -- that was part of the reason I posted the question, to get feedback like that.

I'm getting excitied.

Disneyland Disney World Disneyland Paris Disney Cruise Aulani Next?
aboveH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackdelta View Post

Jack
We were there in mid Sept and while crowds were low, the waterfalls were almost non existent. This was our first time so when signs point out some waterfall, all we could see was a blackish mark along the stone where obviously water fell at some time. Not a big deal and we expected it but if I could plan a do over trip I would choose spring.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:40 PM   #9
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

I live about 2 hours from Yosemite Village. I have been to the park in all seasons and find the summer to be the worst. Imagine a traffic jam in Yosemite! Yes, it has happened to me on a weekend in July. Campgrounds are PACKED and the bugs are out in full force.

I love May and September when most campgrounds are open, but the crowds are not in full force, providing you avoid major holidays. There is also something to be said for Yosemite in winter, especially if you are enjoying it in front of a fire at the Ahwahnee!

Of course, a lot depends on what you would like to do in Yosemite. Are you a climber? Will you want to tackle Half Dome? If so, the permitting process can be a little crazy. You have to have a permit seven days a week now and competition is fierce. Or maybe you like a little luxury? The Ahwahnee Hotel books up very quickly as well and may be a factor in your planning.

Since you are only planning 3-4 days at Disneyland, I know some might encourage you to skip Yosemite and stay at Disneyland the whole time. I would say, could you extend your trip by a day or two? That way you could do 5 days at Disney, 1 travel day, and at least 3 days in Yosemite. It would be hard to do Yosemite in 2 days I think.

Anyway, I would highly recommend visiting Yosemite if you can, it is definitely the crown jewel of our parks!

ETA: if going in May or September avoid camping in the valley, it can still be a little warm there. The valley floor in yosemite is actually quite low elevation wise. Stick to the upper campgrounds (hubby and I like the White Wolf one) where you will have crisp mornings and temperate afternoons and fewer bugs.
ArchOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #10
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

Yosemite is so worth the trip. I agree, try to get lodging either in the valley or just outside the park as soon as possible. You want at least 2-3 just to skim the surface of the park.

The end of May and June is a good time to go as the waterfalls will be running from the winter runoff. The only downside is, depending on the snow fall that winter, Tioga Pass may still be closed in May and impassable.
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #11
julieheyer
Crazy for the Mouse!

We're doing something similar to this in mid-Nov. Only we'll only have 1 day in Yosemite What would you recommend for 1 day in Yosemite in Nov? I wish it were longer, and may (I'm a big waterfall fan), but we'll still enjoy it.

Starting in DL for 2 days w/ our BFFs, then driving up the coast to SF area, staying in Hayward for 6 nights, using it as a "home base". Plan to visit Muir Woods, SF, Yosemite, and try a day in either Napa or Sonoma. We're trying to plan it all out. Open to suggestions .

Then we drive down to LAX the day after Thanksgiving, to see our friends off, and drive back to Anaheim. We'll be doing 2 more days in DL Sat and Sun. It'll be a full 10 day adventure. I'm sooooo excited!

Past trips: Mar. 2013, Nov 2012, Oct. 2011, Mar. 2009, June 2006... Can't remember before that!
julieheyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:10 AM   #12
TwingleMum
DIS Veteran

I would love to do a Yosemite/DL trip. Is anyone concerned about the hantevirus outbreak??
TwingleMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #13
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieheyer View Post
We're doing something similar to this in mid-Nov. Only we'll only have 1 day in Yosemite What would you recommend for 1 day in Yosemite in Nov? I wish it were longer, and may (I'm a big waterfall fan), but we'll still enjoy it.
If the road to Glacier Point is open you should go to Glacier Point for a spectacular view of the valley and the High Sierra Range. Down in the valley, you can visit Bridalveil Falls (5 minute walk to the base), where there should be some water, and Yosemite Falls, where there most likely won't be any water. When we went in autumn we rented bikes and rode around the valley floor. I would also recommend going to the Visitors Center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwingleMum View Post
I would love to do a Yosemite/DL trip. Is anyone concerned about the hantevirus outbreak??
At this time, the cabins that are susceptible to the hantevirus have all been closed off, and my understanding is that those cabins will be razed. So, I don't have any misgivings, myself.

Since this is turning into more of a discussion on Yosemite, et al, I'm going to move this to the California Board.
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #14
rmom
Mouseketeer

We stayed here http://www.stayyosemiteviewlodge.com/ the last time we went and loved it! It is really close to the entrance in El Portal and did not take very long to get to the valley. We will definately be staying there again when we don't camp. It had a number of pools both outdoors and indoors, and it is on the river.
rmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #15
NLD
DIS Veteran

Lots of people planning Yosemite trips! So exciting.

We are planning for June 2013.

Right now my plan is two nights on the Monterey Peninsula, followed by four nights in Yosemite. We are booked at the Wawona Hotel, in a room with a private bath, for four nights. Checking in Monday, June 17 and checking out Friday, June 21.

Of course, the more time passes, the more I want to add DLR into the mix. Dh would have no interest, so if we did, it would just be dd and me... tacking DLR onto the end of the trip. We'd just fly down to Orange County on the same day dh would fly back home to Pennsylvania.

I don't know though. Even adding 3-4 nights in Anaheim adds like $1000+ to the trip.

Trip reports

Driving through the Desert: Our Utah and Arizona Trip

Breaking All the Rules! Pirates, Pixie Dust, and Pictures... a January 2012 WDW Trip Report

First family trip: September 2009 POR
Sisters trip: September 2010 AKL
MNSSHP only: October 27, 2011
Birthday trip for daughter: January 2012 WL

The Disboards Photography Forum
NLD is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: