Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
ThinkTink09
Walt is my Homeboy

Birthday Celebration Disney Style! DDP Review: Complete!

My sister and I just returned from a fantastic trip to the world! It was sunny, it was warm, and it was filled with good eats!

We traveled over my Birthday, and I couldn’t have had a better day. We stayed at POR-Riverside (which may I just add is absolutely gorgeous) for 7 nights.

I enjoy looking at these dining reviews, so I thought I’d try one of my own. I hope that someone finds it helpful - as I did make my sister ‘suffer’ through taking food pics (I told her she couldn’t complain since it was my birthday trip after all) . I'm going to blame the few blurry pics on a sugar-induced shaky hand. LOL!

We have done the Disney dining plan before, and both times have found it to be a LOT of food, but hey its vacation! Here’s a list of the places we ate:

Riverside Mill - dinner
Le Cellier - lunch
Hollywood Studios - snack
Riverside Mill - dinner
Main Street Bakery - snack
Pecos Bill - lunch
Cape May Clambake - dinner
Yak &Yeti - lunch
Riverside Mill - snack
Wolfgang Puck Café - dinner
Starring Rolls - lunch
Pizza Delivery - dinner
Kona Café - breakfast
Riverside Mill - dinner
Wishes Dessert Party
Via Napoli - lunch
Columbia Harbor House - dinner
Riverside Mill - breakfast
POP Oct 2011 F&W + MNSSHP
POR Oct 2012 - Dining Review
POP March 2013
Wilderness Lodge October 2013
Coronado Springs/Cabana Bay October 2014

Last edited by ThinkTink09; 03-31-2011 at 05:13 PM.
ThinkTink09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:36 PM   #2
donnaf516
DIS Veteran

I'm in!

August 2010 - POR
August 2011 - CBR
February 2012 - Pop
August 2012 - BC
August 2013 - POFQ
donnaf516 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
ThinkTink09
Walt is my Homeboy

Riverside Mill Foodcourt - Dinner 3/2

We had an evening flight our arrival day. We landed at MCO around 8:20 and took the Magical Express – arriving at POR around 9:30. We checked in, scoped out our room, and headed to the food court; we were starved! As a side note, we paid for a preferred room to be close to the main resort amenities, and were very happy with that decision.

Here’s a picture of the Riverside Mill Food court. I liked the options here. You had the general burger/pizza fare as well as a make your own pasta/salad station. They also had some options in line with the New Orleans theme.

My sister chose the Cajun Chicken sandwich with fries - she really enjoyed it. It was covered in a spicy mustard sauce with lettuce and cheese. She said the chicken was very moist and flavorful, and that the mustard had the perfect amount of heat. Fries were of course edible crispy goodness.

I was less adventurous, but also greatly enjoyed my chicken nuggets. I am very particular when it comes to chicken. I can’t stand any slimy stringy bits in my chicken. These nuggets were delicious! Good quality white meat that was tender and juicy. They were large too- eight pieces came with the meal; six would have been plenty.

For dessert my sister chose the magic cookie bar. I know a lot of people like this; but we didn’t. I was really a very rich combination of cookie, dark chocolate, peanut butter chips, and coconut. Just not to either of our taste.

I had the bakery carrot cake. It was sooo good. It was a real bakery made carrot cake, not the fake processed kind. The cream cheese icing was perfect and he cake was moist with real carrot shreds and the perfect taste of cinnamon. Yummy!

We headed back to our room very full and sleepy. The only un-magical moment of the trip came next….it took until 2 am to receive our luggage from the magical express! Note to self: next time when arriving late, claim own luggage.
POP March 2013

Old 03-21-2011, 06:53 PM   #4
Mrs. Sojourner
Mouseketeer

Can't wait to hear the rest!

I can't believe about the luggage.

Have Stayed at: AS Sport, ASM, CSR, POR & PBH (USF)
Check out my PTR! From West Africa to WDW; talk about some culture shock!

My Blog: Mrs. Sojourner's Monologues
Mrs. Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:06 PM   #5
Disneyfreak616
DIS Veteran

OMG I'm second?!?!?! YAYY!!!!!!! Count me in! Can't wait for more reviews!!

WDW Commando #141
WDW (on-site only): 2001: POFQ/ 2010: AKL-Jambo House/ 2011: YC Club Level, POFQ, CSR & AKL-Jambo House (DVC!)/ 2012: SSR (x2), BWV (x2), AKV- Kidani Village & BLT/ 2013: AoA, POLY & AKV- Jambo House/ 2014: CBR, VWL, BCV & GRAND FLORIDIAN VILLAS!
DL: 2009: Fairfield Inn Marriot/ 2010: Camelot Inn/ 2013: Carousel Inn

Completed Trip Reports:

The Frump Takes Over the World: Food Edition! A DR with Extra Magic!A Frump's TR: "Me Gusta Epic Mealtime! Stop Thinking My Thoughts: I'm Five."

"I Don't Wanna Meet Mickey In a Frumpin' Poncho!"
"SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP! It Builds Character and Strength!" A July 2011 TR!

Disneyfreak616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

Wow everything looks so good! Great review and great pics thank you so much for taking the time!
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:26 PM   #7
lblume91
It's magic wrapped up in pixie dust!

Okay, so apparantly I have not visited the dining review board all week! It's been crazy busy around here. Anyhoo... I am loving your reviews.

We always stay at POR and love, love, love the food court! I totally agree on the create your own pasta & the carrot cake - I also tried the magic bar on our last trip & ended up throwing most of it away. It just wasn't my thing.

I didn't know you could order apple juice at the CS meals. Good to know for our two younger DDs. They love juice & I don't buy it much at home because they chug-a-lug until it's gone. That will be a nice vacation treat for them, especially middle DD who is an "adult".

Was the red, white & blue slushie/ice cream drink a snack credit? That totally looks like something we'd like, especially on a hot day!
Old 03-31-2011, 04:34 PM   #8
ThinkTink09
Walt is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejasmine View Post
Wow everything looks so good! Great review and great pics thank you so much for taking the time!
thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyNicki View Post
I think VN is slipping...we ate there three times in Nov and it was fantastic...tried it again in Feb and we were not pleased with it.

Funny thing is in Nov out of three meals we never got bread but in Feb we did...except it was hard and dry and cold
I guess we didn't miss out then It's too bad about this restaurant; I really was looking forward to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lblume91 View Post
Okay, so apparantly I have not visited the dining review board all week! It's been crazy busy around here. Anyhoo... I am loving your reviews.

We always stay at POR and love, love, love the food court! I totally agree on the create your own pasta & the carrot cake - I also tried the magic bar on our last trip & ended up throwing most of it away. It just wasn't my thing.

I didn't know you could order apple juice at the CS meals. Good to know for our two younger DDs. They love juice & I don't buy it much at home because they chug-a-lug until it's gone. That will be a nice vacation treat for them, especially middle DD who is an "adult".

Was the red, white & blue slushie/ice cream drink a snack credit? That totally looks like something we'd like, especially on a hot day!
Thank you! The apple juice was only at Pecos Bills as far as I saw; I wish it was at all the CS. The slushy was a snack credit, and it was refreshing!!
POP March 2013

Old 03-31-2011, 04:40 PM   #9
ThinkTink09
Walt is my Homeboy

3/8 Columbia Harbor House - dinner

I love Columbia Harbor House! We ate dinner here our last night.

Both of us chose the fried shrimp platter. This is sooo good! Large juicy shrimp in a light breading, with fries and cole slaw – it is my favorite CS meal.

Here’s a pic of the apple crisp for dessert. I really enjoyed this too. The crust was delicious and the apples perfectly sweet and gooey! My sister said she thought it would be better with vanilla ice cream on top, but I liked it as served.

A big thumbs up for Columbia Harbor House.
POP March 2013

Old 03-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #11
athenna
DIS Veteran

I've been waiting a long time for a new, really, cool tag..., but I was hit by a drive by tagging instead!

I'm in

I got engaged 1/24/10 in Epcot
athenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #12
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Joining in
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:39 PM   #13
ThinkTink09
Walt is my Homeboy

3/3 Le Cellier - lunch

Hello to everyone joining in on this review!

Our first day in the parks was at EPCOT. What a beautiful day it was!! The warm breezy 79 degree weather felt amazing compared to the 28 degree weather from the day before, and the flower and garden festival was so pretty. It was one of my favorite days from the trip.

We had a lunch ressie at Le Cellier for 1:35 and were pretty hungry since we skipped breakfast. We checked in and waited inside. It was pretty interesting to watch the front desk. Since the restaurant had just recently changed to signature status in the evenings, I guess they were working out some organizational kinks. They ran out of lunch menus and had been inadvertently handing out children’s menus instead. The waiters kept coming to the front to say ‘you gave the wrong menu’ Then a guy in a suit came scurrying out from somewhere ( a manager I assume) and sped out the front saying he was going to look for more menus. It was funny!

I also thought you would be interested to know - someone came to the check-in and asked for pretzel bread and cheese soup ‘to go’ and was denied. The front lady said the cheese soup was taken off the menu. I thought that was strange since people seem to love it so much, but I later found it was still on the menu. Maybe she just didn’t want to say no? I read a post the other day indicating this request was met with success. It must depend upon who is working.

Anyway…to the food…

I absolutely adore Le Cellier’s pretzel bread, and think that the spaceship-earth-shaped butter balls are so cute. We ate every last warm buttery morsel of bread.

On the dining plan you could order a soft drink, or a smoothie, or a milkshake. I choose a strawberry milkshake. It was really good! The strawberry was huge and fresh, and the shake wasn’t overly sweet or heavy. It almost had a smoothie like consistency, but tasted like a milkshake. It was the best strawberry shake I’ve ever had.

My sister has gotten the same dish all three times we have dined at Le Cellier: the New York strip with potatoes au gratin. She loves this dish. She ordered the steak medium, and enjoyed every last bite. She always raves about the potatoes too. Now my sister salts everything, she loves salt, but she proclaimed the dish perfect. That is very rare for her, so I wonder if some would find the dish too salty for their taste.

I chose the House Burger with BBQ, bacon, mushrooms, and onion crips. I like my meat well done. The burger was perfect. I think it was my favorite meal of the trip. The bbq sauce was delicious! Sweet and tangy, and it complimented the bacon and meat perfectly. I have had the filet before, and really enjoyed that, but I think this burger is now my must do! The fries were really good too. I was so sad that I couldn’t finish them. Oh, and the pickle on the side…best…pickle…ever…I’m serious!

For desert I ordered the maple crème brulee. I’d never had crème brulee before and wanted to try it. I thought it was very good. Almost pudding like with a hardened sugar coating on top. I think I would have liked it more without the maple flavoring, but did enjoy my choice. They bought the desert out with a candle for my birthday (I was wearing my birthday button). I thought that was a nice touch.

Behind the brulee is my sister’s choice, the bumbleberry cobbler with cheesecake ice cream. She did not like this at all. I tried a bit, and have to agree. The graham part was good with the ice-cream, but the fruit was really bitter-probably an acquired taste.

All in all another great meal at Le Cellier, and we’ll definitely do lunch from now on. The new menu additions for the signature status don’t appeal to us, and you can still get the steak for lunch!
POP March 2013

Old 03-22-2011, 04:27 PM   #14
CreightonsMomma
Mouseketeer

Joining in.

2011 - March 13th-18th - AKL (Creighton's first trip) Pics ~ June 4th - Day Trip - SWW ~July 9th-11th - Offsite : Oct 12th-15th POP
2012: Feb 28th-Mar 2nd - ASMu
~ May 23rd-25th - SSR
CreightonsMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:30 PM   #15
CreightonsMomma
Mouseketeer

Mmmm..That New York Strip looks sooo yummy. I will definitely have to do Le Cellier for lunch next time I am there.

2011 - March 13th-18th - AKL (Creighton's first trip) Pics ~ June 4th - Day Trip - SWW ~July 9th-11th - Offsite : Oct 12th-15th POP
2012: Feb 28th-Mar 2nd - ASMu
~ May 23rd-25th - SSR
CreightonsMomma is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: