Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2011, 10:56 PM   #1
Soaptopia
Doooooooom buggy

California... where to move?

I have been thinking a lot lately about how much I hate living in AZ, and I miss being a kid and living in Cali. I'm pretty much open to living any part, Southern, Central, and Northern. I want to live in a somewhat smaller type of town that is near the beach. Maybe a suburb of LA or San Fran or something. Price wise I'm thinking $1200 or less for rent, and IDK how to price out a house at ALL I want to try something new and every time I go to Cali I always wish I lived there. I know the traffic is bad and there's lots of people but I can deal with it if I have a beach to go relax at that's not too far away. Thanks for any help! I am trying to find a site to help but I'm not really finding anything but people convincing other people NOT to move to Cali, but my fiance and I have our minds made up already. TIA!
Soaptopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!

will u be working? that will play into the where
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
mamacatnv is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-24-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
DisneylandForever
At Walt's in DLP

In the Bay Area, you might want to consider Pacifica. It is right on the water, and you'll be able to find a place for 1200/month, even a little less. There's also Half Moon Bay, but that's slightly more isolated. About an hour or so south of SF is Santa Cruz. It's a very eclectic little town, with lots of colorful characters. It gets great weather and has its own Boardwalk. It's famous for being the location for the film The Lost Boys. Pacifica is famous for its fog, and a few years ago having houses fall into the ocean as the cliffs eroded. It's not a bad little town though, and only a 10 minute drive to downtown SF.

This map shows just how close it is. Follow Hwy 1 south to see more coastal towns.

DisneylandForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:43 PM   #4
Huff
DIS Veteran

Sorry to hear you hate AZ, I love it! Maybe not Phoenix but love all the small towns all over the mountains. Beautiful forests that are hard to beat!

I grew up in California, lots of family in S.F. Bay area and San Diego. While I love the beaches I can't handle the crowds and high living costs of the larger cities where the jobs are. But my favorate smaller areas are Avalon, Buellton, Santa Maria or Morro Bay. All are scenic and uncrowded.
2007 POP
2008 POP
2010 POP
2011 POP
2012 POP
2014 POP
Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:58 AM   #5
esmetutu
A Bear Band bear

Ventura!

Right on the beach, 1 hour from LA, 30 min from Santa Barbara, and you could easily rent a cute house for under $1200. We've got colleges, some jobs left, and the cost of living isn't bad. Plus, there are quite a few artsy-cultural things to do; and hiking, surfing, amazing weather...

I love California, as a native I've got a lot of pride for our state, but there are things I definitely don't care for... With that said I couldn't imagine living anywhere else aside from Portland, OR or Prescott, AZ.

OVER a ZILLION trips to Disneyland and counting!
Oct. 2006-POFQ
Mar./Apr. 2014-WWoHP & WDW
esmetutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
Soaptopia
Doooooooom buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmetutu View Post
Ventura!

Right on the beach, 1 hour from LA, 30 min from Santa Barbara, and you could easily rent a cute house for under $1200. We've got colleges, some jobs left, and the cost of living isn't bad. Plus, there are quite a few artsy-cultural things to do; and hiking, surfing, amazing weather...

I love California, as a native I've got a lot of pride for our state, but there are things I definitely don't care for... With that said I couldn't imagine living anywhere else aside from Portland, OR or Prescott, AZ.
Wow, great advice! I knew I'd get good advice from here, I'll definitely look those up. I wasn't expecting it to be cheap, that's for sure. But I figured if I want to do this so bad I owe it to myself to try it out! If it gets too tough and it's not what I thought, I'll move back or try somewhere else. Prescott is nice, I like to visit up there and the snow doesn't stay for very long. I would move up there, but I want to try Cali first! It seems like we have the same tastes, because I'd move to Portland too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff View Post
Sorry to hear you hate AZ, I love it! Maybe not Phoenix but love all the small towns all over the mountains. Beautiful forests that are hard to beat!

I grew up in California, lots of family in S.F. Bay area and San Diego. While I love the beaches I can't handle the crowds and high living costs of the larger cities where the jobs are. But my favorate smaller areas are Avalon, Buellton, Santa Maria or Morro Bay. All are scenic and uncrowded.
Thanks! the more city names I have the better. Yeah AZ is just sooo old for me now. I've lived here since I was in 2nd grade and have always wanted to live ANYWHERE but here. There is a pic of me pouting in front of my house next to a U-Haul truck in WA before we moved. I know it is going to be very high cost of living but I think the benefits outweigh that at this point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneylandForever View Post
In the Bay Area, you might want to consider Pacifica. It is right on the water, and you'll be able to find a place for 1200/month, even a little less. There's also Half Moon Bay, but that's slightly more isolated. About an hour or so south of SF is Santa Cruz. It's a very eclectic little town, with lots of colorful characters. It gets great weather and has its own Boardwalk. It's famous for being the location for the film The Lost Boys. Pacifica is famous for its fog, and a few years ago having houses fall into the ocean as the cliffs eroded. It's not a bad little town though, and only a 10 minute drive to downtown SF.

This map shows just how close it is. Follow Hwy 1 south to see more coastal towns.
That sounds great! Thank you for the links! Kinda scary, houses falling into the ocean. That is close, I am definitely going to check that out too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
will u be working? that will play into the where
Yes, I will be applying for every single job I can think of, including my field which is dentistry. There are tons of dental offices anywhere but since I really want to move out there I'll apply for anything! My fiance is thinking the same thing, but his field is diesel.
Soaptopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #7
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!

If I could live anywhere in the state, it would have to be north of San Francisco. I love the area of Eureka area all the way up to Crescent City. It's so many different things in that area; its the rugged ocean, the beautiful redwoods, the coastal hills along with a lot of uninhabited areas.

Inland; Redding, Weed & Shasta areas - further from the coast but small towns with the forests etc. Change of seasons is a bonus for me and yet close enough to access bigger cities when needed.
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
mamacatnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:03 PM   #8
Judy from Boise
Watch out – might take away your birthday
Not superfluous in the least!
DIS World Traveller

DISboards Moderator

Well my family are 4th generation Ventura county natives.......so I have to go with Ventura, Oxnard, Port Hueneme or Camarillo.
Judy from Boise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:01 PM   #9
Minuet888
DIS Veteran

Capitola, technically still Santa Cruz but not as expensive
Minuet888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:15 PM   #10
RangerPooh
It's the little things that make our day
It was a nice surprise to find to find when I returned home from work

I grew up in Gilroy which is about a half hour drive inland from Santa Cruz, Id still be there today if it wasn't so pricey. I loved it. Close to everything! Monterey and Santa Cruz are my recommendations. But you haev lots of smaller communities that you can look into here (ie: Scotts Valley, Capitola, Soquel, Ben Lomand, Rio del Mar, etc)

DH grew up in Moro Bay and misses it. The whole area Moro Bay, San Luis Obispo, Pismo Beach is nice too.

Although I like the mountains and would say Sonora/Twain Hart which is near Yosemite. Not the coast but my desired place to live.

Disneyland Wedding 6.02.2003
RangerPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:03 AM   #11
eduk8r26
DIS Veteran

Another vote for Ventura. I've lived here for 20 years and much prefer it to Oxnard or Port Hueneme. Weather's nicer, shopping's better and the beaches are nicer.
eduk8r26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: