DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2011, 09:29 PM   #1
Mr. Tight
I married into this crazy obsession. Now I'm the addict!

DVC is getting out of controle with point increases

If Disney continues to increase the points needed to stay at the resorts I'm gonna end up selling and paying out of pocket and staying in a studio over at the value resorts.I'm being forced to choose a shorter vacation now or stay in studios instead of a 1 bedroom.We used to be able to do 2 vacations of 5 days at SSR in a 1 bedroom for around 200 points.Now they raised the points to stay every year since we've purchased DVC.My 2 vacations per year at SSR now costs more than the 200 points to stay in a 1 bedroom both times.Ive settled for a studio for out may trips and a 1 bedroom for out October trips.At this rate I'm gonna be stuck with a studio all the time if i want the 5 day vacations.Disney's excuse to my wife and I was that there's cheaper value priced rooms been added to AKV to compensate the rise at SSR and other resorts. This does nothing for me.I feel there slowly pulling the old bait and switch on us. And If I came out of pocket for the value resorts they will even give me free food most of the time!. DVC members get nada.Just a fancy monthly payment to be in the club.Does anyone else feel the same way?

Mr.Tight
Villain in Training

Private message
Mr. Tight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
disneygal922'sboy
Earning My Ears

I'd like to agree with you, but my wife and I have not been effected by either of the recent point changes. We own at BLT and our vacationing hasn't been forced to change....yet

Love me some Bay Lake Tower!!
ME (28) DW (27) Minnie (1)
disneygal922'sboy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2011, 09:45 PM   #3
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

As frustrating as it is for some, for others, the changes helped. The good news is that the 2012 points charts were unchanged and hopefully, another adjustment won't be necessary for years.

But, if rooms at DVC resorts were going unused on weekends and difficult to get on weekdays, then I believe they had an obligation to adjust. Remember, while things went up for some rooms and days, they went down elsewhere.

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:45 PM   #4
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

It is my understanding that there have been only 3 point reallocations in the entire history of DVC - in the 90s, and now 2010 and 2011. It's just your bad luck that it's impacted you negatively, for some the changes have resulted in stays that cost less. Any point increases for particular dates, seasons, days of the week, etc. are being offset by reductions somewhere else.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:52 PM   #5
SamSam

DIS Veteran

The point reallocation didn't hurt us because we usually stay at least a week, sometimes 2, and we don't move on weekends. We're still very happy with our DVC membership.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

I wouldn't call 3 point reallocations in nearly 20 years of DVC as out of control. And as previous posters said, if there is a substantial pattern of imbalance for reserved nights DVC is somewhat obliged to try to correct the situation. The means to do that is through point reallocations, instituting minimum stay requirements, or suspending banking and borrowing. Of those options, a reallocation is the easiest to live with.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:53 PM   #7
Mr. Tight
I married into this crazy obsession. Now I'm the addict!

Since 2007, 2 out of the last 4 years or our membership they have increased points needed per night at SSR.A jump from 25 points per night for a 1 bedroom in May to 31 is out of control in a 2 year span.Part of this is my bad luck on the timing of my DVC purchase but what is to stop them from getting raise happy cause they just feel like it for whatever reason.We were sold on DVC on the promise that the point values would never increase per day to stay.I guess we were misinformed.At this rate 1 bedrooms are gonna be in the 40-50 point range in 10-20 years.The value of the DVC is decreasing for us with each point increase.Lets hope there done for a while with adjustments.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:11 PM   #8
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Sadly you learned the hard way that what a DVC sales agent will promise you, is not always the truth.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:17 PM   #9
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tight View Post
Since 2007, 2 out of the last 4 years or our membership they have increased points needed per night at SSR.A jump from 25 points per night for a 1 bedroom in May to 31 is out of control in a 2 year span.Part of this is my bad luck on the timing of my DVC purchase but what is to stop them from getting raise happy cause they just feel like it for whatever reason.We were sold on DVC on the promise that the point values would never increase per day to stay.I guess we were misinformed.At this rate 1 bedrooms are gonna be in the 40-50 point range in 10-20 years.The value of the DVC is decreasing for us with each point increase.Lets hope there done for a while with adjustments.
You misunderstand what has happened.

Legally DVC cannot arbitrarily increase any point costs across the board. The total points in any given resort (which is the number of points required to book EVERY villa for EVERY night of the year) cannot change.

However what DVC can do--and some would say they have a fiduciary responsibility to do--is rebalance the points periodically so that the charts continue to be representative of member demand.

The vast majority of the changes in 2010 and 2011 were designed to rebalance weekdays and weekends. Over the last 15 or so years, the point charts have been set so that weekends cost 2-2.5 times more than a weekday. At one time, that disparity was apparently required in order to keep members from flooding the resorts on weekends, thus leaving weekday nights open.

But over time, more and more people continued to use DVC points exclusively for weekday stays. Resorts would sit half empty on weekends as members either stuck to the Sunday-Thursday night pattern or paid cash for their weekend nights.

If you look at the charts, what you will see is that weekday prices were increased while weekends decreased. Right now they are pretty close to equal in cost in many instances.

Until DVC decides to make changes to the seasons (entirely likely at some point) there really isn't much more they can do to negatively impact the cost of weekday trips. In fact, it's possible that weekdays will someday go back down in cost as member habits change again.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:34 AM   #10
dianeschlicht
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
DIS Earth Angel :)
I promise not to plot against the showering
today I can only think of bubbles :o

Quote:
You must be talking about a specific time period and day of week. With a point based timeshare, when those kind of "balancing" changes happen, you just have to "balance" with them and either change when you vacation or what size villa or location you book.

We tend to travel mostly in December and January. Both are low point times, and the last 2 reallocations have seen the points DECREASE for our normal stay. Now, that was at OKW, and by the same token, our desired stays at AKV have increased a bit, but not beyond reason.

I for one am glad DVC keeps an eye on things in that way so it's more equitable for all.

As others have said....Point values for each resort do not change...Only the distribution of what days and seasons changes.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #11
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Because they can't... at least not without significantly LOWERING the point cost per night in another category/season/day of the week. And while some narrowing has occurred, I don't think you'll find 1BR and studios going for the same price, every night, every season......they're going to maintain some differentiation between (at least) room types and seasons. They MAY go to a flat nightly rate, no matter what day of the week it is...that wouldn't surprise me given how many DVC members have, for a LONG time, "maximized" points by avoiding weekends.

What your sales person told you was either incorrect (that the per night point cost couldn't change) or you misunderstood (that the TOTAL number of points in the resort could not increase...so it would be a zero sum equation should any changes take place). That's regretable. But, either way, it's spelled out in the contracts that every DVC member signs, in great detail.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:50 PM   #12
adminjedi
I use my powers for good

There is no bait and switch, it is in your contract that you signed on nearly every page.

They aren't increasing the points to stay at the resorts....they are redistributing the points within the resort. And, point distribution at other resorts has nothing to do with SSR point distribution.

You may be personally experiencing an increase in points required for your stay in a 1 bdrm, but in order for that to occur other people are experiencing a decrease in points required for their stay. You should look for different time of year to see if you can regain your 5 days in a 1bdrm or, different days of week.

DVC MEMBER SINCE 2006
adminjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:47 PM   #13
jsthomps
Earning My Ears

We have owned at OKW since 1993 and the points value has never changed. In fact DVC guaranteed this in our contract. They did however say that dues would go up and that they reserved the right to alter the "seasons"
Old 03-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #14
Brandis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsthomps View Post
We have owned at OKW since 1993 and the points value has never changed. In fact DVC guaranteed this in our contract. They did however say that dues would go up and that they reserved the right to alter the "seasons"
That's of course true for all resorts, but since DVC can "play" with the values within any given resort the point costs still can go up for someone if they always visit at the same time of the year (and for others it would go down obviously.

And if you are flexible enough, you can just follow the cheap seasons... :-)
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #15
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
But, it is not Disney's responsibility to be sure you understand all the intricacies of the points based ownership, nor do they have time to cover everything in a sales tour...that is why Florida mandates a reasonable timeframe where you can read the documents and change your mind, even if you purchase resale.
It is a shame though that the very questions a future owner would ask in order to understand the intricacies of the contract have to be answered by strangers on a Net forum instead of DVC themselves.

What they do I am sure is legal, but it is not very ethical but hey when were timeshare salesmen ever ethical, right.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1 bedroom, dvc, points needed, saratoga springs, studio

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: