Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2011, 08:09 AM   #1
housetomouse
DIS Veteran

Is it possible to pack light for a trip to Disney?

I was thinking about trying to have us take one rolling carry-on per person, then check a bag or two with other stuff. Maybe I am just kidding myself, I am not known to be a light packer, but I wish I were.

Have any of you successfully packed light for Disney, and do you have any tips for doing it?

I should add that I won't have a washer/dryer in our room and would prefer not to do laundry for the week's trip.

Thanks!
housetomouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

We are DVC members so we have a washer and dryer and always keep the bags down to 1 per person and that is often a carry on size!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
lizabu
DIS Veteran

I'm one of those people who will wear a pair of jeans at least 3 times before washing them provided I haven't smeared anything on myself so for a week I would need 2 pairs of jeans, a pair of shorts, a bathing suit and a couple T-shirts (I will probably buy more as souviners). Clean undies are a must. Throw in a stick of deoderant and a baggie with some makeup items and I'm good to go. The outfit I'm wearing counts as one outfit and I wear one pair of comfy shoes everywhere. The hotel provides the hair dryer, soap, shampoo, towels etc so you don't have to worry about any of that. Definitely do-able.

ETA- even if you forgot to bring your toothbrush, toothpaste, deoderant don't worry, most hotels will give you some for free as a courtesy. Don't stress.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
lucyem
DIS Veteran

There are lots of youtube videos on packing as much as you can into a small bag without everything getting crushed.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
housetomouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyem View Post
There are lots of youtube videos on packing as much as you can into a small bag without everything getting crushed.
That sounds interesting! I will look for them, thank you!
Old 08-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
nicki.momof3
Addicted to Disney Vacations

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyem View Post
The problem I have it always fits nice and tight in a suitcase on the way down. On the way back it just never seems to fit right. Maybe it is all the stuff I buy and the dirty clothes.

Happy packing
nicki.momof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:23 AM   #7
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicki.momof3 View Post
The problem I have it always fits nice and tight in a suitcase on the way down. On the way back it just never seems to fit right. Maybe it is all the stuff I buy and the dirty clothes.

Happy packing
I used to find that true too. What I do now that works, is use packing folders for my clothes. When I get to the resort, I just slide the clothes out onto the shelf in the closet. Everything is folded into outfits in the order I'll be wearing them. Then every night when I take off my dirty clothes, I zip all zippers and button all buttons and then fold them neatly back into the empty packing folder, using the clear packing guide, and then velcro the flaps tightly so clothes are pressed flat. I roll up the dirty panties and bras and put them into a small packing cube. It only takes a minute or two every night, but at the end of the week everything is all packed into the packing folder and cubes nice and tight and all I have to do is drop them into the suitcase. Makes packing up to go home a breeze and clothes are already compressed pretty flat. (Oh, I do always keep a fresh dryer sheet in my packing folders and cubes, to keep everything smelling fresh.).

I hate packing up to go home. Packing everything back into packing folders and packing cubes as I go means, I just have to drop the folder and cubes into my bag, then drop in my shoes, then put anything on the counter back into my toiltry bag, roll it up, and drop it in the bag. I can be packed and out of the room in about 5 minutes.

Last edited by aubriee; 10-12-2012 at 02:56 AM.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #8
housetomouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu View Post
I'm one of those people who will wear a pair of jeans at least 3 times before washing them provided I haven't smeared anything on myself so for a week I would need 2 pairs of jeans, a pair of shorts, a bathing suit and a couple T-shirts (I will probably buy more as souviners). Clean undies are a must. Throw in a stick of deoderant and a baggie with some makeup items and I'm good to go. The outfit I'm wearing counts as one outfit and I wear one pair of comfy shoes everywhere. The hotel provides the hair dryer, soap, shampoo, towels etc so you don't have to worry about any of that. Definitely do-able.

ETA- even if you forgot to bring your toothbrush, toothpaste, deoderant don't worry, most hotels will give you some for free as a courtesy. Don't stress.
I am impressed! I need to get into this mindset, it must feel great to travel so light. Thank you!
Old 02-26-2011, 10:08 AM   #9
RACHELSMOM1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu View Post

I could never wear a pair of any pants three days in DW, too sweaty. Even in winter having them on and walking in them all day, well they just get dirty and yucky. I don't know how you do it, wish I could pack light. Sure as I don't pack two outfits per day we will need them.

PRINCESSES CAN HAVE DOWN SYNDROME, TOO!!
RACHELSMOM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:38 AM   #10
housetomouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACHELSMOM1 View Post
I could never wear a pair of any pants three days in DW, too sweaty. Even in winter having them on and walking in them all day, well they just get dirty and yucky. I don't know how you do it, wish I could pack light. Sure as I don't pack two outfits per day we will need them.
I'm the same way. I don't know if my clothes are, in reality, that dirty or sweaty, but they always seem that way to me after one wearing.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:47 AM   #11
housetomouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
We are DVC members so we have a washer and dryer and always keep the bags down to 1 per person and that is often a carry on size!

AKK
I definitely won't have a W/D in the room, and I hate to go to the laundry on vacation, but on the other hand I hate hauling (and paying for) a lot of luggage. Thanks!
Old 08-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #12
stindall
Congress Tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by housetomouse View Post
I definitely won't have a W/D in the room, and I hate to go to the laundry on vacation, but on the other hand I hate hauling (and paying for) a lot of luggage. Thanks!
Reviving an old thread but...
A lot of laundry rooms @ the hotels are open late (or maybe all day/night? Not sure but I remember people doing laundry @ Pop until at least 11:30pm!) so just pick a night or morning to hang out at the hotel and do a load if you want to pack a bit lighter. You can hang at the pool and check on it periodically!

DH and I can fit all of our stuff into one large suitcase (but sometimes it's a tight fit!) and then use our park bag as our airport bag (with entertainment and snacks etc) but I think we can do a smaller one or even two carry on bags if we roll and organize better. Neither one of us are big on souvenirs so an extra bag for those is big issue for us!

9/7/14-9/14/14 "Oh God there's the Yeti" PTR

- Sept 2008 Honeymoon @ Pop - Dec. 2009 surprise for dad (aka worst trip ever) @ Pop -
Sept. 2013 First solo trip @ Pop
- Sept. 2014 brother/sister trip @ pop! -

stindall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #13
VeeHam
Mouseketeer

Our last trip (to my fathers house) I packed Dh, DD's 5 and 8 and my clothes into one large suitcase and had a bag for dirty clothes. But I was able to fit all of our clothes into the one suitcase. I used the space saver bags. I put each persons clothes into a bag and sucked out the air. Each girl had 5-6 outfits, 4 pj's, lots of undies and 2 swimsuits. DH and I had two pairs of jeans, 4-5 shorts, a few dresses (for me), shirts, undies, bras and swimwear. I had a separate bag for toiletries.
If I can do it, believe me, you can do it too. I am a notorious over packer.

Does anyone know if you ask to borrow a vacuum from mousekeeping, will they let you? I would love to use the space saver bags again on this trip to Disney.

VeeHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #14
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post

AKK
I think this is the key for those who are over-packers (like me!): plan to do laundry mid-trip. You can bring half of the amount of clothes you normally would.

I go at a pretty hot and humid time of year, so I've been known to take a shower and change my clothes mid-day (it feels so much better not to be in the same sweaty clothes all day!). So it's even more important for me to do laundry mid-trip. Doing laundry actually provides me with a reason to take a nice mid-afternoon break. At most of the resorts, the laundry facilities are located next to a pool, so it's a great chance to take a pool break!
Old 02-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #15
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

I think some of it depends on what time of year you go. Wintertime? Long-sleeve shirts and long pants take up more room than shorts and t-shirts. But in the warmer months, you get much more hot and sweaty, so you might need to change clothes more often (I hate wearing sweaty clothes!).

I know you said you don't want to do laundry, but for me, it's worth it to take a two-hour break mid-trip and pack half as many clothes. I'm an over-packer by nature (and OP, it sound like you are, too!) and love the convenience of doing laundry mid-trip. Totally worth it to me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: