Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

A Post Open-Heart Surgery/Anniversary Trip Report!!! Updated 5/30 PTR started!!

Hi everyone!!

I just finished a dining report of my boyfriend (aka Wingnut) and my's (is that correct? It looks a tad ridiculous...) trip to WDW this past December. But then I finished writing about our last table service credit and wanted to say more.

So, here we go again! (And yes, Wingnut will be chiming in as well, no worries!)

Ok, so the title. Open heart surgery...yeah, I definitely never thought I'd be saying that about myself, but here's the well-placed "however,"

This past spring, I started to feel exceptionally tired. Not having had any health issues before, I went to my GP, who told me he didn't want me to be concerned, but I had to see a cardiologist immediately, and made sure I had an appointment first thing the next morning.

Convinced this had to be a bit of an error, I went, at which point I found out I had mitral valve prolapse, a heart murmur, and a significant leak in my mitral valve, which he said my heart was handling well at the moment. We'd keep an eye on it.

Fast-forward to 3 months later, my energy is declining further, and it is time for my cardiologist follow-up appointment. He says we are now at a surgical point, the valve needs to be repaired.

I underwent the mitral valve repair on July 19th, 2 days after my 25th birthday. It went perfectly. My recovery has been slow, but steady.

So somewhere in the middle of this, before we knew I needed surgery, Wingnut and I decided to plan a trip to Disney for our anniversary (October 6th - 3 years). We made all the plans. We made reservations for Jiko for the 6th. We were tremendously excited to be going during the Food and Wine Festival, which we had never been to.

...and which we still haven't been to. Post-surgery, it was clear that I would not be close to the energy level I'd want to be at for Disney in October. It was incredibly disappointing to change our anniversary plans, but we knew it was for the best. We changed our dates to mid-December, re-booked dining, and began to wait for our trip to come.

So who are these wordy people anyways? And when are they going to talk about Disney? And isn't this guy cute ?

Here we are, on our anniversary (not at Jiko, in my living room. Oh well.)

Me and my Wingnut .

Wingnut is incredibly caring, supportive, and patient. He makes an awesome vodka sauce, and will eat pretty much everything that I won't (due to pickyness or allergies). In his words, he is "6'3'', tan, athletic, and a billionare lawyer/astronaut."

Me, I am his Stringbean. I have no fewer than 5 Disney CD's in my car, and listen to pretty much no other. I love cheesecake, orange tic-tacs, and taking lots of pictures.

And my Wingnut. I love him too .

(awww)

To come: I'm left alone with Disney plans for far too long

Last edited by Stringbean&Wingnut; 05-30-2011 at 06:20 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

An inability to leave well-enough alone...

So while recovering from surgery (or just sitting around generally as well, I suppose), there tends to be a lack of things to do. I mean, I was also fairly physically limited (thus ruling out rock climbing, darn!), so the couch and I were pretty close buds for a bit of time.

Earlier, I mentioned how this trip was supposed to be for our anniversary (3 years together, yay! ). Well, not just for our anniversary, as it ended up being, but on our anniversary as well, which is October 6th. This had to be postponed, as we decided I would just not be physically up the trip in a close enough semblance to how we usually tour WDW (not crazy running around planning, but we're don't amble either).

Postponing the trip also meant rescheduling all of our ADR's, one task I was quite up for. I shuffled and reshuffled them around, swapping out Flying Fish for La Hacienda de San Angel, Brown Derby for Rose & Crown, and Port Orleans Riverside for the Yacht Club.

In late October, I decided we needed a treat, and upgraded our reservation to the Yacht Club. We had never stayed there (had never stayed at POR either, for that matter), but I was super-psyched about the location and being able to stroll to Epcot.

(Wingnut and I love Epcot. We literally call it Home Base while at Disney, as we always end up there at least once a day.)

So a few weeks passed, and I was amazingly able to keep quiet about the resort change. We got our original Magical Express tags in the mail, and I showed them to Wingnut ("look! Port Orleans Riverside!") while stashing the real ones in a folder with the rest of our reservation info.

(Note to those of you looking to surprise loved ones with reservation tweaks: it's a bit of a pain keeping separate reservation info folders, but worth it! )

Cue to the day before we were leaving for Disney...
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
athenna
DIS Veteran

I've been waiting a long time for a new, really, cool tag..., but I was hit by a drive by tagging instead!

I'm in I've been following the food report also!

I got engaged 1/24/10 in Epcot
Old 02-16-2011, 09:24 PM   #4
laur05
Earning My Ears

im in
Old 02-17-2011, 06:31 AM   #5
topdog
DIS Veteran

Checking in... I'll start reading now.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:23 AM   #6
Grumpy's Wife
Dollar Tree gal here
sissy fluffed, sissy fluffed!
I'll have one of what ever the tag fairy is drinking tonight
Chocolate is a girls heaven

Oh, I love surprises. I can't wait to hear all about how you told Wingnut about the hotel switch.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #7
Fyrecat
Earning My Ears

Great Trip report-I had heart surgery too....

Same thing and situation...only Ididn't get Disney! But it's one of the things hubby and I are looking forward to!
I found it took awhile for my strength to get back to where it was-but now it's fine!

So glad you got a great trip to Disney!!!
Old 05-05-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
3prettyprincesses
"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

Well, I suppose getting a new apartment is a good enough excuse for your absence! Congrats to you and Wingnut!

Nice t-shirt too, I love Figment. I actually had a stuffed one from when I was a girl. But alas, my family doesn't share the same enthusiasm over Figment and his Pavillion that I do!

Love the hidden Mickey! Totally a sign that your new apartment was meant for you. Totally.

More Epcot rhapsodizing? Shocker. Kidding, I love Epcot!
Old 05-06-2011, 07:38 PM   #9
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Congrats on moving-in to your first apartment!

How cool is that, that you found a hidden Mickey on your floor!
Thank you!!!

I was SO excited when I saw that!! Just a bit of Disney magic in our new home

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Congratulations on your first apartment! Moving is a lot of work so you are definitely excused for your absence from the Disboards.

How cool is it that you found a Hidden Mickey in your floor! It's a sign that the apartment was meant for you and Wingnut.
Thank you!!!!

That's what I thought too!!! I definitely took it as a sign that this was the apartment for us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer48 View Post
Congratulations on your first apartment!!

Here is a housewarming gift
Thank you!!! Awww I love it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrecat View Post
Same thing and situation...only Ididn't get Disney! But it's one of the things hubby and I are looking forward to!
I found it took awhile for my strength to get back to where it was-but now it's fine!

So glad you got a great trip to Disney!!!
I'm so glad to hear you are doing well after your surgery! It definitely does take awhile to get back to where you were pre-surgery! I'm very much looking forward to being totally back to my old self again!

Here's to a wonderful Disney trip in your future!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3prettyprincesses View Post
Well, I suppose getting a new apartment is a good enough excuse for your absence! Congrats to you and Wingnut!

Nice t-shirt too, I love Figment. I actually had a stuffed one from when I was a girl. But alas, my family doesn't share the same enthusiasm over Figment and his Pavillion that I do!

Love the hidden Mickey! Totally a sign that your new apartment was meant for you. Totally.

More Epcot rhapsodizing? Shocker. Kidding, I love Epcot!
Thank you!!!!

Hahaha I love Figment! How could you not? "A dream can be a dream come true, with just that spark, in me and you!"

I loved finding that Mickey, it made me SO happy!!!

Yay Epcot!!!! Nifty Epcot fact: I was reading that the two sides of Future World were designed like the two sides of the brain, the right side has more curves in its pathways, and the left side is more linear with straight lines. Cool, right?
Old 05-07-2011, 07:10 AM   #10
MeMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Hahaha I love Figment! How could you not? "A dream can be a dream come true, with just that spark, in me and you!"

Yay Epcot!!!! Nifty Epcot fact: I was reading that the two sides of Future World were designed like the two sides of the brain, the right side has more curves in its pathways, and the left side is more linear with straight lines. Cool, right?
Congratulations on your new place!

Figment's little song is very catchy. Brooklynn is a Figment fan, minus the stinky skunk section.

Very interesting Future World fact. We (Disney geeks) do love our behind-the-scenes Disney trivia, don't we?
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #11
3prettyprincesses
"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Didn't there used to be more to the Imagination Pavillion too? I distinctly remember walking through some sort of psychedelic tunnel. I feel like there was more interaction before.

Quote:
Ok, that is a VERY nifty Epcot fact! Where did you find it, was it the Imagineer Field Guide?? Sara, I think you should either write an Epcot trivia book or become some sort of trivia CM at the park, spouting off random cool facts! Then you could be in your happy place everyday and enlighten those ignorant Epcot guests.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:37 PM   #12
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
Congratulations on your new place!

Figment's little song is very catchy. Brooklynn is a Figment fan, minus the stinky skunk section.

Very interesting Future World fact. We (Disney geeks) do love our behind-the-scenes Disney trivia, don't we?
Thank you!!!!

Hahaha I start holding my nose when the ride approaches the Smell Lab section. You can smell it in there pretty much constantly...yuck! Why couldn't they spray some lemon or something. Seems that Figment and Stitch are in cahoots with the scent thing...

Oh how I love random Disney trivia! It keeps the Disney happy magic going while away from Lake Buena Vista!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3prettyprincesses View Post
Didn't there used to be more to the Imagination Pavillion too? I distinctly remember walking through some sort of psychedelic tunnel. I feel like there was more interaction before.

Ok, that is a VERY nifty Epcot fact! Where did you find it, was it the Imagineer Field Guide?? Sara, I think you should either write an Epcot trivia book or become some sort of trivia CM at the park, spouting off random cool facts! Then you could be in your happy place everyday and enlighten those ignorant Epcot guests.
You are correct, there was more to it! But I actually don't remember the previous version (it changed to the most current version in approximately 2000, I believe), but I will definitely take your word on the psychedelic tunnel!

I found that one (along with most of my nifty Disney facts) in The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World, which I had actually bought for my dad, but picked up one day and was hooked! I definitely recommend it, there were a ton of little tips and backstories I hadn't known about.

I would LOVE to be a random roving trivia CM! How much fun would that be??? I envision this role involving stickers in some way...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: