Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
McKelly
DIS Veteran

Sturgis/Yellowstone

I have booked a Yellowstone vacation for August 7-13, not knowing that is the week of Sturgis. I have heard comments here and there about it not being a good idea to go to Yellowstone during that week. Does anybody have any experience with going to Yellowstone/Cody/Jackson during Sturgis week in the past? I don't want to cancel my in-park hotel reservations because I know I won't get the reservations I want anymore. I want to go with a heads-up though.

Just wondering what to expect. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:53 PM   #2
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

I wouldn't worry. Bikers go on trips through the parks all summer, and it's hard to notice an uptick because of Sturgis.

If you need any GTNP or YNP information feel free to PM me if I don't reply on here. I don't look on this board a lot but I have a AP for them in addition to my DLR AP.

Last edited by skiingfast; 02-01-2011 at 11:21 PM.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

Sturgis is in South Dakota, right? I'm not sure how the rally in Sturgis will effect your trip to Yellowstone in Wyoming. Are you traveling through the Dakotas to get there?

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it. Yellowstone is huge and it will be crowded even without the bikers. Enjoy your visit, Yellowstone is amazing!
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Scenes like this make people think that Sturgis over runs the whole region. This is in Jackson, Wy.

Of course this picture could have been taken any time between Memorial day weekend and Labor day weekend. It's just common all summer not distinct to the times nearest the Sturgis Rally.

Last edited by skiingfast; 02-07-2011 at 10:38 AM.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:35 PM   #5
DISdreamin'
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post

Scenes like this make people think that Sturgis over runs the whole region. This is in Jackson, Wy.

Of course this picture could have been taken any time between Memorial day weekend and Labor day weekend. It's just common all summer not distinct to the times nearest the Sturgis Rally.
Too true about that scene! Honestly, YNP is so crowded at that time of year with tour buses and cars that a few extra 2-wheelers aren't really going to be a blip on your radar. Any way you do it, it's a crowded time of year. I wouldn't change plans because of it, though. We go nearly every year at that time, and it is always pretty crowded, but still absolutely lovely and interesting in different ways every single time we take the kids.

FWIW, the only time I've EVER seen YNP not crowded was in January when we went into the park years ago. You still saw other people, but nothing like the crowds in summer. There were often more animals than people when you looked around in winter, which is something you will definitely NOT say in summer.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:07 PM   #6
CowboyCO
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISdreamin' View Post
Too true about that scene! Honestly, YNP is so crowded at that time of year with tour buses and cars that a few extra 2-wheelers aren't really going to be a blip on your radar. Any way you do it, it's a crowded time of year. I wouldn't change plans because of it, though. We go nearly every year at that time, and it is always pretty crowded, but still absolutely lovely and interesting in different ways every single time we take the kids.

FWIW, the only time I've EVER seen YNP not crowded was in January when we went into the park years ago. You still saw other people, but nothing like the crowds in summer. There were often more animals than people when you looked around in winter, which is something you will definitely NOT say in summer.
In September, you will have the park to yourself, plus fall colors!
OCT 2006 ASMU
APR 2008 OKW
MAR 2009 POP CSR
SEPT 2010 POP AKL
June 2011 AKL Savannah

A bad day at Disney is MUCH better than a good day working!
CowboyCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #7
CowboyCO
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKelly View Post
I have booked a Yellowstone vacation for August 7-13, not knowing that is the week of Sturgis. I have heard comments here and there about it not being a good idea to go to Yellowstone during that week. Does anybody have any experience with going to Yellowstone/Cody/Jackson during Sturgis week in the past? I don't want to cancel my in-park hotel reservations because I know I won't get the reservations I want anymore. I want to go with a heads-up though.

Just wondering what to expect. Thanks.
If Sturgis is the same week, there won't be many bikes in Yellowstone. You will see an uptick the week before and the week after Sturgis. Either way, it's not a reason to not go to Yellowstone. It's an 7-8 hour drive from Sturgis to Yellowstone and Yellowstone is HUGE.
OCT 2006 ASMU
APR 2008 OKW
MAR 2009 POP CSR
SEPT 2010 POP AKL
June 2011 AKL Savannah

A bad day at Disney is MUCH better than a good day working!
CowboyCO is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: