Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
Sleepingbooty
DIS Veteran

Talking OUTPLAN-OUTPLAY-OUTLAST: a Sleepingbooty TR! New Princess trip update 4/2

Alright, alright. I know, I'm a little tardy in beginning this trip report. I always meant to do one, but things were so busy around here when we got back from our trip at the end of September that I just never got to it. Then it seemed too late. But Glennbo seemed to think I might still have a few people interested in reading it, even now, so what the heck. Now that the holidays are over, things have slowed down a bit in my life, and writing this will help me stave off the winter doldrums. Hopefully. Well, that, and the fact that I'm counting down to another WDW trip at the end of February I plan on including the pre-trip details for that one here too, rather than do a separate PTR.

I'm going to try to get this whole report done by the time I leave for the next trip. Will that happen? Who knows. But that's my goal. At the same time, I thought I would attempt to create a digital scrapbook for this trip. If all works out, I'll include my finished pages here.

I have a horrible memory, and I didn't take great notes, so this may be a pic-heavy, light-narrative report. Or maybe I'll just make stuff up. You'd never know the difference, woudja!

So, lets get this thing started!

Up next: Cast of Characters

Last edited by Sleepingbooty; 04-02-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
Zarabear
Mouseketeer

I love the logo! Totally signing in to read along. We were there in Sept for our very first trip. I never got around to our trip report either.. Ooops!

We are, (okay...well, "I" am...) planning our next trip. I definitely caught the bug and I am so in love with DisneyWorld. XD

~Zara
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
Princess116
Ahh, the joys of everything Disney

joining in!
Old 01-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #4
Sleepingbooty
DIS Veteran

The Cast(aways)

The Cast(aways)

Thrown together on this island in the middle of Florida that we call Walt Disney World, are 6 absolute strangers; who must learn to band together to meet the basic needs of Food, Shelter, and Entertainment. Okay, not absolute strangers. Not really even strangers at all, if truth be told. In fact, you might even say the absolute opposite of strangers. But I'm trying to establish a theme here, people, so work with me.

So, who are these six (not) absolute strangers?

1. Me. Rebecca. The self nominated, unanimously ratified leader of this rag-tag band of castaways. I'm a thirty-something wife and mother of two. A former (and sometimes still) teacher, currently working as a travel agent specializing in what else? Indiana, the Hoosier State! The Crossroads of America! Gotcha, didn't I! (no, of course I didn't) Disney, of course is my real specialty, although Indiana is quite lovely and certainly worth a visit. I'm guessing.

2. My hubby. Scott. Great dad, all-around good guy, extremely supportive husband (he lets me do the Disney thing, doesn't he?), talented singer and guitar player, and general goofball.

3. DD age 9. Jenna. Straight A student, super sensitive and caring, (usually) very tolerant sister, HUGE Harry Potter fan, world's fastest reader and total good-girl rule follower (where she gets this, I have no idea).

4. DD age 6. Lucy. Adorable, affectionate, party animal. Amazing artist, beautiful singer, and total perfectionist. LOVES being the baby of the family, but she also adores babies and younger kids. So although I know she'd love to have a little bro or sis to take care of - she would not go quietly into that middle child role.

5. Nana. My mom. Super devoted grandmother, mom, sister, aunt, etc. Very silly, dorky (often embarassing) sense of humor. Total drama queen with absolutely NO pain tolerance. Slowest eater you've ever met.

6. Papa. My dad. A cross of Frank Zappa and Oscar the Grouch, yet some how surprisingly fun to vacation with. Strangely, he LOVES Disney and he's really the only one in the family that actually initiates "Disney Planning Discussions" with me.

If you want to know more about us and how this trip came to be, you can refer back to the beginning of my Pre-trip report here:
Now Approaching... Sleepingbooty's September Pre-trip Report

Up Next: The Plan of Attack

Last edited by Sleepingbooty; 01-09-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
Sleepingbooty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarabear View Post
I love the logo! Totally signing in to read along. We were there in Sept for our very first trip. I never got around to our trip report either.. Ooops!

We are, (okay...well, "I" am...) planning our next trip. I definitely caught the bug and I am so in love with DisneyWorld. XD

~Zara

Welcome Zara! September is such a great time to go, isn't it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess116 View Post
joining in!

Hi Princess116, thanks for joining in!
Old 01-09-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
Sleepingbooty
DIS Veteran

The Plan of Attack

The Plan of Attack

In order to OUTPLAY and OUTLAST this week as castaways on the fantasy island that is WDW (sidenote: did anyone else watch Fantasy Island way back when? I loved that show as a kid! Being at WDW really does remind me a bit of that show. I just love that feeling of having been transported to an entirely separate, magical world!) we would first need to OUTPLAN! I am a firm believer that the PLAN is crucial to vacation success. And I do so love planning I enjoy it so much, I found myself a job doing it!

The PLAN began back in, hmmm January maybe? Although, of course I'd been mentally planning since our last trip in May of 2009. That one had been a real doozie. We had strayed from our typical pattern of vacationing at WDW in September when our kiddos are on fall break. Big Mistake. HUGE. Of course, May is typically a beautiful time of year in central Florida. We however, happened to have chosen the wettest week ever in the history of the world to be in Orlando. It was a total washout. Ponchos were a daily fashion accessory. I think my toes are still a bit pruney almost two years later. But, we had fun anyway. However, despite the fact that this would be a trip with an unprecedented amount of new experiences, we were NOT going to mess with success and try to travel at a different time. September it would be.

Naturally, I booked quite early, and then crossed my fingers and waited, and waited, and waited, for a fall special to come out. Boy, didn't that free dining deal come out late this year? We usually get that closer to the beginning of April, but this year I think it was mid-May before they released it.

Now, there are those who disagree, but I LOVE the free dining discount. We typically stay at the Moderate resorts, so it works out to save us more money off our total than a 35% room only code would (which we had at one point). I also fall in the camp that feels the dining plan is a good deal in general, so we typically buy it even if it isn't free. We've become accustomed to eating one table service meal each day while we are at Disney, and we spend more doing that out of pocket than the cost of the plan. And I DO so love not even bothering to look at the right hand side of the menu. THAT in and of itself is a vacation to me!

So here is the gist of our Plan of Attack:
  • Fly into MCO on Friday, September 17th in the evening
  • Stay at Caribbean Beach Resort 9/17 - 9/25
  • 8 day base tickets for the parks
  • 1 full day at Islands of Adventure (a surprise for the girls)
  • 1 day at Typhoon Lagoon
  • Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party on Tuesday, 9/21
  • ADRs at:
  • Ohana
  • Whispering Canyon Cafe
  • Le Cellier
  • Chef Mickey's
  • 1900 Park Fare
  • 50's Prime Time
  • Hoop De Doo Review

Up next: Episode 3: Getting There is Half the Fun

Last edited by Sleepingbooty; 01-12-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:37 PM   #7
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Woohoo! I'm in!

Thanks for writing this.

Great title! I know you Outplanned.

ETA: Yes, of course I watched "Fantasy Island". (Just a couple of years ago).

Last edited by glennbo123; 01-09-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:44 PM   #8
Sleepingbooty
DIS Veteran

Hey Glenn! I'm glad you're here - its all your fault I'm doing this, LOL
Old 01-10-2011, 08:50 AM   #9
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Followed you over from Glenn's TR !! Going back to read!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 01-10-2011, 09:00 AM   #10
Sleepingbooty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbear123 View Post
Hey Rebecca! I'm here and subscribed! Will have to catch up tomorrow. You gotta let me in on how you make those fabulous picture links in your siggie!
Hey Jen! Cynthia's the expert on graphics - I need to find out how she makes hers flash back and forth between more than one picture. All I do is make a little piece of artwork and save it as a jpeg, load it up to Photobucket and then plug it in my signature. You get it to serve as a link the same way you do when you type words and use them as a link: select the img link and then click that little earth button. Is that what you were asking? Maybe I'm being dense...

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
Wooooooohoooooooooooooooo, I think I made the top of page 2, where ALL the hip action REALLY is. I can't believe you've got 3 chapters up already; you move faster than me when I find a spider in the jacuzzi!!
Yay! You made it! I figured I needed something to do to pass the time - I can't just sit here drumming my fingers waiting for your next update all day, LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Followed you over from Glenn's TR !! Going back to read!!
Hi Rosie! Welcome welcome! I'm glad you headed over my way
Old 01-10-2011, 09:40 AM   #11
jenbear123
Disney Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepingbooty View Post
Hey Jen! Cynthia's the expert on graphics - I need to find out how she makes hers flash back and forth between more than one picture. All I do is make a little piece of artwork and save it as a jpeg, load it up to Photobucket and then plug it in my signature. You get it to serve as a link the same way you do when you type words and use them as a link: select the img link and then click that little earth button. Is that what you were asking? Maybe I'm being dense...
You're not being dense. My question was more of how you make them i.e. photoshop, etc. For example, you're most recent one is of the Survivor logo but you were able to change the wording and everything. How did you do that?!?

And your Dad is like Frank Zappa?!?!?!? And well, being similar to Oscar the Grouch isn't straying too far from what Zappa was like anyway. I need to meet this man! Do/did you listen to any of his music? I'm a big fan if you haven't already guessed

Oh, and great start to the TR! I'm so happy you decided to write one. It's never too late! I've actually been considering writing one's from my trips two years ago. That might be pushing it though....
Old 01-10-2011, 12:48 PM   #12
Sleepingbooty
DIS Veteran

Oh, okay. Well, what I did in this case is found a Survivor logo I liked on Google and saved it to my computer. Then I opened it in Paint.net, which is a free, open source software similar to Photoshop. Then I painted over the word "Survivor" and created a new layer and typed September 2010 Trip Report (or whatever it says). Oh, actually, first I had to find a free Survivor like font to download (which was easy to find). Then I did something similar to the word Outwit to change it to say Outplay. If you don't have Photoshop and are too cheap (like me) to lay out for it, you should try Paint.net. Its not as good, but you can really do quite a bit of stuff with it. I'll probably buy Photoshop Elements, but we are planning on getting a Mac in a couple months, so it would be a waste of money to buy a Windows version now. I'll just wait.

Actually, I don't know really how much my dad's personality is like Frank Zappa - but people have always said he looks like him. Probably less so now that his hair has gone all gray. When I was a little kid, he wore it in a ponytail. So, looks: Zappa, personality: Oscar

You should totally write that report - I love retro reports!
Old 01-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #13
GreatBiscuit
Golden but never flaky

Quote:
The Plan of Attack
Boss! De Plan! De Plan!
Quote:
(sidenote: did anyone else watch Fantasy Island way back when?
Never heard of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepingbooty
Now, there are those who disagree, but I LOVE the free dining discount. We typically stay at the Moderate resorts, so it works out to save us more money off our total than a 35% room only code would (which we had at one point). I also fall in the camp that feels the dining plan is a good deal in general, so we typically buy it even if it isn't free. We've become accustomed to eating one table service meal each day while we are at Disney, and we spend more doing that out of pocket than the cost of the plan. And I DO so love not even bothering to look at the right hand side of the menu. THAT in and of itself is a vacation to me!
I wholeheartedly agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepingbooty

So here is the gist of our Plan of Attack:
  • Fly into MCO on Friday, September 17th in the evening
  • Stay at Caribbean Beach Resort 9/17 - 9/25
  • 8 day base tickets for the parks
  • 1 full day at Islands of Adventure (a surprise for the girls)
  • 1 day at Typhoon Lagoon
  • Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party on Tuesday, 9/21
  • ADRs at:
  • Ohana
  • Whispering Canyon Cafe
  • Le Cellier
  • Chef Mickey's
  • 1900 Park Fare
  • 50's Prime Time
  • Hoop De Doo Review

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......pretty spreadsheet. ME LIKE!

Great start! I can't wait to read more!

Note: No trees were killed in the posting of this reply, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:15 PM   #14
Sleepingbooty
DIS Veteran

Challenge #1: Getting There is Half the Fun!

My family leaves the trip planning up to me, for the most part. I attempt to involve them in the decision making (remember my PowerPoint, anyone) but I pretty much call the shots. And of course, take care of all the booking, etc.

So, no one was the wiser when I employed a little slight of hand to gain an extra day. The day Southwest opened booking for September, I was on top of it. Great fares were available.... but only arriving in the evening. Well, who wants to do that? You miss the whole first day! If we were to book our usual early morning flight, we'd be paying twice as much on that leg. Hmmm.... time for some fuzzy disney math!

My creative calculations told me that for the same price we'd pay for the desirable early morning flights, we could buy cheap flights the night before and add another night to our trip. Uh, that's a no brainer to me. Of course, I probably could have bought the cheap return flights and waited for the price on the departure flights I wanted to go down, but I've never been a big risk-taker. What really surprised me, was I did not get any resistance at all when I presented this option to the clan. I guess they trusted me

So, we added a night to our reservation. We'd now be arriving on Friday, September 17th at 10:15 (but it would feel like 9:15 to us, so not too bad). Hey wait, arriving at night like this, we'll miss our whole first day! Maybe we need to fly in on Thursday instead! You see how this could really snowball! Anyway, the really cool thing about adding a night was that we get extra meal credits!

Scott and my mom would both be working that day, so it was up to my dad and I too get everything ready to go. He came over about 3 in the afternoon and we loaded the suitcases up. To save on parking costs, all six of us were going to ride together to the airport in our Mountaineer. We fit what we could behind the third row seat and put the rest on the luggage rack.

Then we had what you might call a "Griswold Moment." I went to go back the car out of the garage and I hear a "Whoa whoa whoa!" I slammed on the brake and got out. I thought maybe one of the girls had come out of the house and gone behind the car - my heart was beating like crazy! It was only my dad standing there, shaking his head. If I'd gone another foot, we would have had a big problem. My dad, the genius, had not noticed that the suitcases stood higher up than the garage door when he put them up there! Of course, I hadn't either. Oops!

So, we unloaded them, backed the car out, and reloaded. Then he went home to wait for my mom to get home from work.

Scott got home about 3:30. He changed clothes and we did all those last minute things you do when you are leaving for a week. Thermostat, blinds, locks, pets, petsitter info, computer and tv power strips off.

My mom and dad were at our house by 4:15. They'd brought Subway sandwiches that we would eat at the airport for dinner. We were out of the house and on the road by 4:25 - 5 minutes ahead of schedule!

We parked in the $7/day lot (almost couldn't find a spot!) and boarded a shuttle to the airport. A quick and uneventful trip through check-in and security and we found our gate and sat down to eat our Subway. We were actually surprised that security was uneventful. Typically, my dad always gets "randomly" selected to be searched or questioned. He says its because of his swarthy good looks.

We boarded the plane about 6:30 and ended up with seats over the wing. I think Southwest is reserving more and more of its spots in line for its platinum members and those who are willing to fork over the $10pp/per leg to pre board. Even when I get on the website at EXACTLY 24 hours and 0 seconds before my flight to check in, I barely make it in to the back of the A group. Oh well, at least we got two rows together.

The flight was smooth. I had drugged myself up, so I didn't have any ear problems, which was a blessing. Before I fly, I take three sudafed and several sprays of Afrin. If I don't, I have such horrible sinus pressure it feels like my ears and face are going to explode. My doctor suggested the meds and it works really well! The "Earplanes" plugs did not, when I tried them on a previous flight.

We landed about 15 minutes early. This always reminds me of the bit Jerry Seinfeld does where he talks about the pilot coming on and saying, "we're going to make up some time in the air." We picked up our luggage ourselves (no DME luggage service after 10pm) and headed down to Magical Express.

I'd like to take this time to give a shout out to the Orlando International Airport. I love this place. I realized that a big part of could be that just being there means that I'm going to Disney (well, or coming home from Disney), but it really is a very nice airport. I love the fake monorail, the mosaics on the floor, the lovely atrium, the conversational groupings of rattan chairs a la Golden Girls on the Magical Express level. It is SO much nicer than the St.Louis airport.

Magical Express was practically deserted, and we joined the very short line. With almost no wait, we were led onto the bus.

We stopped at Pop Century first, and I got a little nostalgic for our 2009 trip when we stayed there. A little, but not too much, because we were headed for........ Caribbean Beach Resort!!

Of course at this time of night, the lobby was completely empty. I had checked us in online previously, so the check-in process was very quick. We had gotten our request - ground floor Jamaica, connecting rooms. Yay!

A lovely gentleman from bell services loaded our many bags into a van and drove us over to our room. He unloaded us and got a nice tip. Here's a bad picture of our building while we are waiting for him to stack all the suitcases on a dolly.

The room was lovely, and once again we lucked out with a corner room. Those extra windows do make it feel bigger.

By this time, it was midnight (11 to us), but we were excited to be there and not at all ready to hit the sack. We quickly changed into suits and headed for Old Port Royale. The pool looked beautiful at night.

We headed straight for the hot tub, surprised to find people there so late. We soaked our bones for a bit, but my eyes were really stinging because of the amount of chlorine. I hoped it wouldn't be like that the whole time, because I really enjoy hot tubbing after a long day at the park! We were back in our rooms and in bed by 1am. We did not set a wake up call for the morning. We figured that normally we wouldn't even be there until Saturday afternoon, so having Saturday morning there was bonus time. We'd get a good night sleep and a good breakfast and then head to......

Up Next: Episode 4: Magic Kingdom & Ohana, part 1

Last edited by Sleepingbooty; 01-16-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #15
martinolichfamily
DIS Veteran

Great update! CBR looks great..love the pool!

So funny about the luggage on top of the car!

Wonder where ya'll went the next day??!!
March 2007: 1st family vacation (off site) ~ July 2009: Fort Wilderness Cabin ~ July 2010: POP Century w/DxDP ~ April 2011:POP Century w/DP (Our 10 yr Anniversary Trip) ~ July 2012:1st Disneyland Trip(Desert Palms) ~ January 2013: offsite (DH & I) ~ July 2013: SS & AKL:Kidani (Brayden's 1st WDW Trip! & 1st DVC Trip!)~ November 2013: SS Treehouse & BC ~March 2014: Bonnet Creek (offsite) ~ June 2014: OKW

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: