Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

We're from South Dakota. This Cold Shouldn't Bother Us!! - A Dec 2010 TR -UPDATE 2/7

I've been dragging my feet since we got back when it comes to starting this trip report. I just haven't been in the right mood to write it, but I have the day off, it's blizzard conditions outside, and if I don't start it now, I probably never will. So, here goes!

For anyone who didn't read my PTR, here's the quick details of our trip. There were nine of us on this trip, eight adults and our six month-old daughter. We were at Disney 19-27 December, stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter through the 26th and then DW, DD, and I stayed at Pop our last night. I'll include a link to the post from my PTR about the cast of our trip in my table of contents. The pictures will be a little out of date (especially of DD), but I will post new pictures of everyone soon enough.

Up next, table of contents and our arrival day.

March 2012 TR October 2012 PTR
Mar 2012: Coronado Springs; Mar 2011: French Quarter; Dec 2010: Port Orleans French Quarter; Oct 2008: All Star Movies - Disneymoon; June 2005: Pop Century; July 2004: Offsite; 1993: Contemporary; 1992: DL (offsite); 1991: Offsite; 1989: DL (offsite); 1987: DL (offsite)

Last edited by ChildAtHeart82; 02-21-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

Table of Contents

The Cast
Arrival Day - Is It Time to Wake Up Yet?
Arrival Day (cont.) - Dinner at Downtown Disney
Hollywood Studios - You've Dropped the Rope, Now What?
Hollywood Studios (cont.) - Lights, Motors, Action!
Hollywood Studios (cont.) - Let's Go This Way...And Now Back
Hollywood Studios (cont.) - We Had to Come to Florida to Get Snow
DHS Recap
Magic Kingdom - Where Did All the People Go?
Magic Kingdom (cont.) - Another Boat Ride?
Magic Kingdom Recap
Epcot Part 1 - How Did Getting Into the Park Early Put Us BEHIND Schedule?!?
Victoria & Albert's - How Did We Get So Full from Such Small Portions?!?
Animal Kingdom - Saved by the DIS
Animal Kingdom Recap
Photopass Pictures!!
Epcot Part 2 - One Little Spark
Epcot Part 2(cont) -Now That We're Done Eating Around the World, It's Time for Dinner
Epcot Part 2(cont) - We Missed Illuminations! It's Way Past 9:30 in Japan!
Epcot Part 2 Recap
Christmas - Finally, We Can Sleep In
Christmas (cont) - Wave After Wave of Food
Last Day - It's So Cold!!
Last Day (cont.) - Why Are We Going to Dinner? We Just Ate Lunch?
Last Day(cont.) - Maybe We Should Have Stayed at CBR?
The Sad Day and Final Thoughts

Mar 2012: Coronado Springs; Mar 2011: French Quarter; Dec 2010: Port Orleans French Quarter; Oct 2008: All Star Movies - Disneymoon; June 2005: Pop Century; July 2004: Offsite; 1993: Contemporary; 1992: DL (offsite); 1991: Offsite; 1989: DL (offsite); 1987: DL (offsite)

Last edited by ChildAtHeart82; 02-07-2011 at 11:48 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-31-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

Arrival Day - Is It Time to Wake Up Yet?

After months of planning and waiting, the day before our trip finally arrived. Until this trip, my packing style had been to pack quickly the night before a trip. For this trip, a combination of excitement and the Disney planning bug caused us to start packing a few days ahead of time. This turned out to be a great decision! With all of the other little things we had to get done to be ready for our trip, waiting to pack until the day before would have been ridiculously stressful. We dropped off our dog, Rhino, at a friend's house, had a nice dinner out, and returned home to finish up a few things. We packed up most of our bags in the car and headed to bed about an hour after we had planned to. Not a bad start.

Our mascot, Rhino, with some of our bags.

DD fell asleep very quickly. DW took a few hours. I took a little while longer. I tossed and turned and the last time I remember seeing on the clock was 12:30, about two hours from our alarms going off. Still, we were going to Disney and I woke up excited and as alert as one can be at three in the morning. DW woke Lucy up and got her ready while I threw a few last things into our luggage and finished packing the car. We had coffee and then it was time to leave for the airport.

Our other checked bag. I thought I had pictures of the rest of our carry-ons, but I guess we didn't take any. This proved to be a theme of our trip. There are a lot of pictures I thought about taking, but apparently never did.

The roads, not surprisingly were empty on our way to the airport. We thought about taking the shortcut to the airport, which is not maintained during the winter. We hadn't seen any snow for a while so we thought it would probably be clear. In the end, we decided the risk wasn't worth the twenty minutes it would save us and went the long way.

It was cold when we got to the airport.

We had no trouble checking in or getting through security and our flight was on time.

Lucy, waiting in line to check-in.

Waiting to board.

The flight to Denver is always a short one. We all slept for most of it. By the time we collected everything we gate-checked (stroller, baby carrier, rolling bag) and made it to our next gate, they were about to start boarding. Soon after we were on our way to Orlando! Most of the flight went smoothly. Lucy and I slept while DW watched the in-flight movie. With about an hour left, we hit some very rough air and were bounced around a lot. DW is a little afraid of flying and this did not help. After that was over, Lucy decided she no longer enjoyed flying and started a meltdown. It was at this point that we discovered a strategy that would prove useful for the entire trip. We got out Lucy's rice puffs and she calmed down immediately.

The headphones made a good distraction.

We had a minor setback getting off the plane. The agent in Denver had assured me that the rolling bag we gate-checked would meet us at the gate in Orlando. Otherwise, I wouldn't have gate-checked it. When we exited the plane, the agent there kindly told me that gate-checked bags always go straight to baggage claim. This meant we would not be able to skip baggage claim on our way to magical express. Sigh. In the first of a week full of blessings, our bag was one of the first to come out at baggage claim. I'd say our little detour only added about give minutes to our time at the airport. We grabbed our bag and headed toward magical express. We walked right on to a bus and were on our way.

On the way to POFQ.

Another bus on the way to the World.

We stopped at one other resort, Saratoga Springs I think, and then we were at French Quarter!

Waiting to check-in.

Reason #1 that I'm a bad Dis-er. We didn't take a whole lot of pictures of the resort. I think we had planned to do it later but then it got busy...and cold.

We checked-in about 2:30PM. They assigned us a room in building 1 and told us it wasn't ready yet. I was fine with the room assignment, but since we requested building 7 (opposite side of the resort) I asked about our request, telling the CM I understood if our request couldn't be met and emphasized that it was more important for us to have two rooms close together than to have a room in building 7. We had also wanted building 7 because those were the recently renovated rooms and had queen beds. The CM went to the back room and came back a few minutes later. She said she'd found us a room in building 7 and that it was ready. I asked again if there would be another room close by for the rest of our group. She said there would be. I think you can probably see where this is going. We headed to our room and dropped off our bags. Then, we went to the food court to feed Lucy and to wait for the rest of our group to get there. We knew they were in the area and would arrive soon.

Walking down Rue D'Baga. I laughed every time I read the street sign for this one.

While we waited, we bought our refillable mugs and the first of many beignets. Reason #2 I'm a bad Dis-er. I managed to not take pictures of a lot of our food, including the beignets. About the time we were biting into our beignets, the rest of our group arrived. I went with my father-in-law to check-in. The CM initially assigned them a room in Building 3, which is next to building 1 and was not really close at all to our room in building 7. I politely asked that they look for a room closer to ours, saying that we would be willing to move from our room if necessary. He made a call and gave the rest of our group a new room in building 7. It was on the second floor, a floor below our room, but it was on the same side of the building which made for a pretty short walk to meet up in the mornings. Though none of our request were met initially, the CM's were very helpful and we ended up with everything we requested except for connecting rooms. We were very happy.

We helped our family unload their car and get settled and then we relaxed while DW's parents made a trip to the grocery store to get milk and a few other breakfast items. We talked and watched the new Disney must-do's show on the TV. I miss the old one, but this one still passes the time.

Up next, Downtown Disney and dinner at T-Rex...

Old 12-31-2010, 05:14 PM   #4
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

Arrival Day (cont.) - Dinner at Downtown Disney

After the parents returned from their grocery trip, we went to catch a boat to Downtown Disney. At this point, it was starting to cool off but even riding a boat on the water wasn't too bad.

DW on the boat.

A few pics of DTD from the boat. They're from my phone so they're not the best.

By the time we got to DTD, it was almost time for our dinner ADR. We walked quickly through DTD toward

The line for the podium was really long and that was just to put your name on the waiting list for a table. We checked in and then I went to park the stroller. By the time I got back, we were being led to our table.

The restaurant has a lot of great theming. I enjoyed the theming here even more than the theming at Rainforest Cafe. We were in the ocean area.

Lucy loved this aquarium which was right next to our table.

Looking over the menus.

Lucy didn't need to look at the menu, but she thought it was very tasty.

We were on the regular dining plan because of the free dining promotion. This meal was out of pocket since we really wanted to eat here. I've wanted to eat here since our Disneymoon in 2008. T-Rex has just opened and the standby waits were way too long. It was worth the wait.

We are Rainforest Cafe Safari Club members so we got a free appetizer. We had the dual dip. I didn't get a picture. It was basically chips with two dips, a queso and a shrimp and artichoke dip. It was delicious and it was just what we needed since we were starting to get hungry after all of the travelling.

I made the decision for the trip that I would only take pictures of DW's and my food. I knew the rest of our family was already going to think it was weird that I was taking pictures of all of our food and I figured it would be too much if I was taking pictures of all of their food.

I ordered the Tribal Tacos, which were fish tacos with fried mahi mahi. I thought it was okay but I probably wouldn't order it again.

DW had the Mammoth Mushroom Ravioli. We both thought this was delicious.

We decided to skip dessert since we were all pretty full. Overall, T-Rex was great experience and we would eat here again, but it's not a must for every trip. Our server, Mike, was great and very helpful.

By the time we left T-Rex, it was getting chilly outside. We made a quick stop at World of Disney, but Lucy was getting fussy and we were all ready to get back to our rooms. The boat ride back was into the wind the entire way and was pretty cold. This caused our first uttering of our trip report title, but we wouldn't say it with full force until much later in the trip. We had a quick meeting in the room about what to expect for the next day and then we went to bed.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:31 PM   #5
Daddy_of_Princesses
The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

I'm in. Loved the line about pictures you thought you took. As far as the food goes, I didn't take many either so we are both bad DISers

1987 - offsite / 1988 - offsite School Trip / 2007 - ASMo / 2010 - AKL and Poly / 2013 CB
Old 01-01-2011, 11:23 AM   #6
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy_of_Princesses View Post
I'm in. Loved the line about pictures you thought you took. As far as the food goes, I didn't take many either so we are both bad DISers
Welcome! I'm glad I'm not the only one. For a lot of the food pictures I did get, I'd be a bite or two in and then realize I hadn't taken one. The ones I missed were either ones I thought I took or we'd be finishing up and I'd remember. It's just not in my habit pattern to take pictures of food before I eat it.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #7
eecteacher82
DIS Veteran

Hi! I made my way over here from your post on my TR! I'm subscribing now and going back to read!
Old 01-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #8
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

Great DHS update! I love DHS so much, so I love reading about people's days their in TR's! So many people dislike this park, I don't understand it!

I have yet to participate in the TSM FP stampede! What is rope drop at DHS like? Do they do anything, a little ceremony like MK or anything?

The stunt show looks like fun, my DH and I never have enough time to see it! Same with the Beauty and the Beast show, there is always so much I miss at DHS because I'm so concerned with riding ToT 5 billiion times!

Everything you got at Pizza Planet looks great, I really would like to try it on my next trip!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Old 01-06-2011, 05:41 PM   #9
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateKate View Post
I'm here! I love that picture of Lucy where she is looking up at the Spectacle of Lights! Very cute.

I am surprised Lucy was willing to wear the head phones. My boys don't even want to wear hats. I think they both kind of like loud noises anyway.

I showed Landon the food picture of Lucy's lunch at Pizza Planet. He drooled. Which dessert do you think was better- the rice krispie treat or the cookie?
Thank you! We got a lot of comments from people who thought the same thing with Lucy's headphones. They don't seem to bother her and they helped her sleep through some of the shows we watched. DW and I both thought the rice krispie treat was better, but DW says she's biased since she really likes rice krispie treats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussells08 View Post
I'm here! Sorry I'm so late! Great updates so far! I am loving seeing Lucy checking everything out!

Yay for getting your room requests!!

I'm glad you enjoyed T-Rex! That is DH's absolute favorite!

I was so bummed when we got to DHS and saw that they were renovating the outside of ToT. Oh well, it was as fun as ever!

I can't wait to read more!!
You're not that late. I'm only through our first day at the parks. Plus, you were at Disney, which is a pretty good excuse. DW's family asked if the scaffolding on ToT was normal when they saw it. They thought it made it look creepier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eecteacher82 View Post
Hi! I made my way over here from your post on my TR! I'm subscribing now and going back to read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
Great DHS update! I love DHS so much, so I love reading about people's days their in TR's! So many people dislike this park, I don't understand it!

I have yet to participate in the TSM FP stampede! What is rope drop at DHS like? Do they do anything, a little ceremony like MK or anything?

The stunt show looks like fun, my DH and I never have enough time to see it! Same with the Beauty and the Beast show, there is always so much I miss at DHS because I'm so concerned with riding ToT 5 billiion times!

Everything you got at Pizza Planet looks great, I really would like to try it on my next trip!
The Toy Story stampede is almost a tradition for us now. I've always liked DHS, but as I'm planning our next trip, it's not getting much attention. So far, I've planned it as the second park for a few days to make sure we see some of it. Since it's just going to be DW, DD, and me and we were just there, we don't have a whole lot of must-sees. I think we'll probably skip TSM since we won't be there for the FP stampede, I'll try and ride ToT and RNR (DW doesn't like them), and then we'll hit some of the shows if we have time.

This trip they didn't do anything at rope drop for DHS. Our last two trips there was a fun show with a movie director and a couple that they picked out beforehand. At the end, the couple drives off in a car toward ToT and they get to be the first to ride either ToT or RNR. I don't know if they did away with the show because of the Toy Story craziness or if it was just that day. It was a weird day with the late start and all.

I think it's really tough to see all the shows at DHS in one day. It's fun to see each of the shows at least once, but after that I think they're all once every few trip kind of shows. It could be that I'm more of a thrill ride person, but I would prioritize riding ToT and RNR multiple times over seeing any of the shows.

Pizza Planet is our favorite CS at DHS. I've read a lot of reviews where people don't like the pizza. I don't know if my pizza standards are really low or if it's just difference in opinion.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:38 PM   #10
amazingact21
Upendi

Found my way over from my TR.
Your daughter is adorable, and it looks like she really enjoyed Beauty and the Beast.

And I agree, you can't capture the Osborne lights in photos; it's something you have to see for yourself to believe!

Current Reports:Let's Watch the Hallucination Show on the Castle -A May '14 TR
Past Reports:December 2013 TR/December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
Old 01-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #11
luckylady
DIS Veteran

I'm in. DD is just a cutie. Those blue eyes. Waiting for more.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: