Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
Mommy2PrincessAbby
DIS Veteran

Operation Disney in December--PTR followed by TR!

Okay, yes, 2012, ONE year away now (I started this thread when it was 2 years away... but we're getting closer!)... but I really can't stand not starting a PTR. So here goes.

Cast of Characters:

Me (the mom!)
DH (not as Disney enthused as me, but he'll go along with whatever I say!)
and DD (who will be 8 3/4 in December 2012)

A little background:

We are from Oregon... have been to DL a few times (not as many times as others on this board by far--see my siggy.) And we love it!! About every other trip DD and I go by ourselves because DH is out fishing somewhere or something, so I book a trip to the Land as payback.

Why 2012?? Well... we just went, and sure, I'd go again tomorrow if I could, but I have put some thought into this. Little Mermaid is done now... and then Carsland summer of 2012 correct? Well, DD is an Ariel fan, but DH is really a Cars fan... so I think we might as well wait till Carsland is done... odds are summer of 2012 will be nuts. We've been twice for Halloween, so that is out... and we have never been for the Christmas season. So, there you go, December 2012. .

So that brings me to dates... I really don't know when we want to go... I narrowed it to a two week window... and we want to go for 6 days. We've done 4, 5, & 6 day trips. And 5 is really perfect, but if Christmas-time is more crowded, I think we'll do 6 just to be on the safe side--we are after all going to have to find time for Carsland and Little Mermaid in the schedule!!

So, dates... ummm.... November 22nd is Thanksgiving in 2012, and there is no way we'll be going that weekend... so the Wednesday following I think would be the earliest we'd leave-- November 28th. I am leaning toward a Wed-Monday in the parks... so drum roll please... we chose:

Wednesday, December 5th - Monday, December 10th

Of course, I could do Tuesday-Sunday... but I think being there a Sunday night will give us an extra entertainment night. And with any luck Wednesday & Thursday will be pretty quiet.

I am hoping we will manage to miss CP (hopefully it will be before or after we are there) and the cast parties will probably be the night we leave, so we'll miss those too!

I usually get my plane fare 8-10 months out on some sort of sale... and that will be way before any type of calendar is up. Be sure though I am watching the boards carefully in during 2011 Christmas-time.

What about where to stay though? More thoughts to ponder!! DD and I just did PP for the 1st time, and really loved it. It felt miles closer than the DLH to us. DH has only stayed at the DLH with us, and knows nothing other than that. So, maybe we splurge and do the GCH in 2012? The weather won't be awesome enough for pool time, but the DLH pool area should be all done, so it might be nice to stay there in one of the new refurbished rooms (since that should be done too...) At any rate will be staying on site.

It will also be interesting to see if they bring the Christmas Party over from WDW and try it at DL. I know some people are really opposed to it. But, we've done the Halloween Party twice, and really loved the experience, and would do the Christmas party in a heartbeat... even if it only means cookies and cocoa and a few meet and greets, and probably special fireworks.

Then of course we'll need a night for F! and a night for WOC (we love them both and could never bear to choose between them...) So, that is why we definitely need the 5 nights/6 days... whew!!

I also know we will be flying into LGB as long as Jet Blue is still flying there... we love Jet Blue... and will fly with them any chance we get....

So there you have it. The beginnings of my crazy PTR... I am such an over planner!!!

Walt's Park:Two trips as a kid, stayed off-site. Oct '07, 4 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. May '08, 5 days "girls only trip" @ GCH dm, dd & I. May '09, 6 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. October '10, 5 day trip, dd and I @ PPH. And 6 days at PPH--December 5-10, 2012 for all 3 of us!

OMG--dare I say it? We went to the World!! Split Stay! CSR May 6-10 and AKL Savannah View May 10-13, 2014 (with a dash of the Darkside thrown in for good measure the 13th & 14th.)

Last edited by Mommy2PrincessAbby; 12-11-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Mommy2PrincessAbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
PrincessMaleficent
DIS Veteran

I am subsribing!
PrincessMaleficent is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
Mommy2PrincessAbby
DIS Veteran

Welcome Jenn! I see you are going in 10 months!! Woohoo!!!

I'll be there just a year after you... I assume you are timing it to see the Christmas stuff and low crowds at the same time too?? How exciting!

Walt's Park:Two trips as a kid, stayed off-site. Oct '07, 4 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. May '08, 5 days "girls only trip" @ GCH dm, dd & I. May '09, 6 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. October '10, 5 day trip, dd and I @ PPH. And 6 days at PPH--December 5-10, 2012 for all 3 of us!

OMG--dare I say it? We went to the World!! Split Stay! CSR May 6-10 and AKL Savannah View May 10-13, 2014 (with a dash of the Darkside thrown in for good measure the 13th & 14th.)
Old 01-12-2011, 10:54 AM   #4
PrincessMaleficent
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2PrincessAbby View Post
Welcome Jenn! I see you are going in 10 months!! Woohoo!!!

I'll be there just a year after you... I assume you are timing it to see the Christmas stuff and low crowds at the same time too?? How exciting!
We are going Dec 5 - 9 so Mon - Fri we leave to go home on Friday. I hope I picked good dates.
PrincessMaleficent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
Mommy2PrincessAbby
DIS Veteran

It just dawned on me that by the time we get to DL dd will be 8 3/4 and too big for a stroller... mentally at least, if not physically... my volo only goes to 55 lbs... and she's 10 lbs shy of that now. So, she might make it weight wise... but anyhow... this insight is making me lean toward GCH, I know how tired I am by day 4 or so... so dd will probably be pretty tired too... and I have a feeling naps will still be a must. So, I think we'll buck up an do the GCH for convenience sake!

Old 03-23-2011, 11:38 PM   #6
Mommy2PrincessAbby
DIS Veteran

So, today I took my mom back to the airport after her visit... and my dd says "why exactly can't we just hop on a plane and go to Disneyland? We are already at the airport, and can't we just buy some jammies when we get there?" Boy, was that tempting! If it a: wasn't spring break and b: the planes were so full that I would have had to pay $400 a piece just to get a ticket I might have said, "Let's go!!"

I really can't wait for 2012 to get here...

Old 01-12-2011, 12:22 AM   #7
CantWaitToGo2007
Mouseketeer

And here I thought I was the only overplanner! we leave in 553 days (not that I'm counting or anything) and I've got most of my trip planned!

I've never flown on jet blue before, do they work like southwest or do you get an assinged seat?
CantWaitToGo2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:46 AM   #8
Mommy2PrincessAbby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWaitToGo2007 View Post
And here I thought I was the only overplanner! we leave in 553 days (not that I'm counting or anything) and I've got most of my trip planned!

I've never flown on jet blue before, do they work like southwest or do you get an assinged seat?
553 days!! Awesome!

Jet Blue has assigned seating, free Directv in all the seatbacks and tons of awesome snacks (as many as you want)! Way better than Southwest, and I have scored $59 each way tix from PDX to LGB the last couple trips... also way better than Southwest!

Old 01-12-2011, 08:13 AM   #9
CantWaitToGo2007
Mouseketeer

$59 is great! I found around $80 from Seattle on Alaska. Keeping my fingers crossed we both get great prices
CantWaitToGo2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #10
Mommy2PrincessAbby
DIS Veteran

Okay, I really am starting to feel like I need a plan, the problem is I don't know what they are going to do about early entry after the summer is over. We haven't used early entry on the weekend before because it was too darned early, and instead we sleep in a little do a character breakfast and go to DCA... Carsland has me so screwed up!

We'll arrive early Wednesday, get checked in, probably wander over to DCA for a bite to eat-traditionally a corndog, but heck now I want to try the garden grill, or maybe go over to one of the cones, ugh. We'll need to ride little mermaid and symphony swings right off, and grab soarin fps. Little mermaid is new for us and symphony swings is dd's favorite. Then I am thinking parade and fireworks this night, because fireworks can get cancelled and then we can bump them to another night. Probably don't need to do a dinner with ressies on Wednesday... Should be the quietest nite we are there, so maybe Rancho del Zocolo or Bengal BBQ.

Thursday should be e.e. which we'll use for sure at DL... Cover the fantasyland rides and probably indy, splash, hm, pooh... Then typically we would cross to DCA... Again, hours would be helpful here. Ugh. Think I want to do Carthay circle that afternoon for lunch and get the passes for woc that night.

Friday, again... Will DCA have e.e.? Either way we will probably start at DCA and try and do the Carsland gauntlet and then cross to DL after lunch and naps and I'm hoping to do F! Dessert seating that night.

Saturday and Sunday will probably be crowd avoidance... Need a princess meal in there and a blue bayou dinner. Probably one each day... And we tend to use the weekends to see Aladdin, talk to crush, go to animation academy etc...

Then Monday we only have the morning to hit what we want to ride again... And go home.

My must eat list is growing too, right now it's:

Breakfast, hubby and dd need protein packed breakfasts, we'll probably do room service on early days:
PCH grill
Storytellers or Goofys kitchen (haven't done Goofys in awhile, may have to try it again)

Lunch:
Corndog castle (Monday)
Carnation cafe (Saturday)
Carthay circle (Thursday)
Paradise garden grill (Wednesday)
Tangaroa terrace (Sunday)
Rainforest cafe (Friday)

Dinner:
Blue bayou (Sunday?)
Big thunder ranch (Friday?)
Bengal BBQ (Wednesday)
Ariel's grotto (Saturday?)
Rancho del Zocolo (Thursday)

Yikes... Okay, enough for today... Back to work! Lol

Old 08-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #11
DisFan84
Earning My Ears

Subscribing!

Hello from Portland, OR! My boyfriend and I will be in DL 12/1-12/7 celebrating my birthday (12/12/12 this year ) I too am a major planner and I look forward to any finds you come across prior to your trip!
DisFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #12
Mommy2PrincessAbby
DIS Veteran

Hi there!! Welcome!!

Right now I am anxiously anticipating news about dining packages for the CP! We had been happy to avoid that weekend, but now that it will be twice a night every night of our stay, I'd love to see it if I can get a chance... so a dining package would be the easiest way of comfortably doing that I think... Here's to more waiting

Old 08-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #13
ociana
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisFan84 View Post
Subscribing!

Hello from Portland, OR! My boyfriend and I will be in DL 12/1-12/7 celebrating my birthday (12/12/12 this year ) I too am a major planner and I look forward to any finds you come across prior to your trip!
I think we may need a new thread called Oregon Invades Disney in December!

Welcome to the party.
ociana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #14
Mommy2PrincessAbby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ociana View Post
I think we may need a new thread called Oregon Invades Disney in December!

Welcome to the party.
Obviously there are a bunch of us that need to get out of the Oregon rain come December and have a little Disney Magic!!

Old 08-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #15
missminnie04
Earning My Ears

Can I join the party, I am not from Oregon but from BC so not that far away from you guys. My family decided this spring that we are going and we are invading there are 7 of us going the youngest will be 8 and the oldest 75.

I am now in a panic now as I see we can no longer get the 6 day park hopper passes and I am afraid we are not going to have enough time at Disney to see everything that we would like to see. we are flying out of Spokane on Dec 24th leaving Disney on the 29th for San Diego and then returning on the 31st for new years and heading for home on the 3rd.

Any ideas for tickets for us now with the changes on the 28th we are doing Universal and then sea world. Any advice would be wonderful my parents my brother and I have been a few times but not in the past 10 yrs so there are so many changes.

DL95 DL97 DL01 DL02 Booked Dec 24-Jan 3rd for our family of 7
missminnie04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: