Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
exwdwcm
wishes she was Wendy Moira Angela Darling

Visiting Every Potty and Trash Can in the World...First Trip Home to BLT, Dec 4-11th!

Welcome to my trip report! Our title, well I'll get to it soon enough. and BRRRR....nope, that's not a chilly reception you are getting, but it was very chilly in WDW during our trip- recording breaking lows even. So join in the adventure and hear how we stayed warm (involved taking the wallet in and out of the pocket quite often!).

Here is my PRE TRIP REPORT if you are interested in reading the plans.

Trip Report Table of Contents:

Before I introduce the rest of our party, first, here are some basics, so you can determine whether you even want to read my ramblings or not......I know sometimes folks are looking to read reports for planning purposes and looking for similar dates from prior years, or those with kids the same ages as theirs etc.....Hopefully you read anyways, but in case you want the cliff notes:

WHEN: Saturday, Dec 4 through Saturday, Dec 11, 2010
WHO: Party of 5, me and DH (late 30s), my mother in law, my 10yo niece and my 3yo son
WHERE: 7 nights at Bay Lake Towers, 1 bedroom, Lakeview
HOW: 3 Annual Passes, Two 8 day park hoppers, NO free dining, pay OOP for meals, MVMCP on 12/9, CLP package on 12/8, rental car from National, garden grocer order

So still interested? Well great, let's finish up the 'cast'.

DH- Alan, turning 40 next year, great dad, works full time for a REIT- Real Estate Investment Trust (commercial property), loves working out and surprised me with buying DVC as our 10th anniversary gift. Was really a disney grump until our first visit with our son (2 at the time) last year, then i think he 'got' what the magic is all about it (hence DVC). Oh and he is really cheap, this will come into play when you hear all the whining about how expensive the food is later.

Here is DH, me and our little guy!

Will- my little joy of life, my just turned (Oct 30) 3yo son. He's actually a pretty good kid most of the time, just potty trained a week before the trip. He has no fear of anything, is a mama's boy and LOVES trash. I know, i am obsessed with disney, this kid is obsessed with trash cans. We go to walmart and he wants to look at trashcans more than toys. Loves taking out trash, finding trash cans in public etc. It is actually pretty funny- he is very neat and clean too, hmmmm wonder who he gets that from.....oh yeah, me!

Glenda- yes, the good witch! My mother in law, lucked out here and have a great one that I adore. She lives about 2.5 hours north of us in Oklahoma. She is most recently single, awaiting her divorce to go through. Originally ex hubby was supposed to go with us, but we brought along my niece in his place instead. MIL is pretty easy going, laid back and great with my son.

Lindsey- my 10yo niece- also from Oklahoma and how do I put it----very um, sheltered. I don't think she has ever been outside of TX or OK before, never flown before and never been on a full week's vacation like this. She's a great student and overall good kid.

here is MIL and Lindsey together on the plane:

So there is our cast introduction, next up, a brief review of our plans and thought process, then right into day 1!

WDW College Program-Fall 96
84, 86-FTW, 93-FTW, 97, 98-OFFSITE, 00-POR, 03, 04, 05-GAYLORD, 04-POFQ, 05-POR, 06-CBR, 07-AKL, May 09-DIS Podcast Cruise, DEC 09-DAP/WL, Sept 10-DL, DEC 10 BLT, FEB 10 JOINED DVC! AUG 11 DLH, OCT 11 BLT, NOV 2012 BLT

Last edited by exwdwcm; 02-17-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
eecteacher82
DIS Veteran

I'm here! Can't wait to read all about your trip! Sorry we never got to meet up!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-20-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
Katie & Glen
DIS Veteran

Here! can't wait for the details!

A Mickey's Very Merry "Holy Crap It's Cold" Trip Report - Dec 2010

Katie (DW) / Glen (DH - 44) / Ethan (DS - 11)

Past trips: 1997 FW Campground; 2007 CBR; 2010 AKL; 2011 CBR; 2012 POR
Old 12-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
Daddy_of_Princesses
The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

I'm in.

I see you had some record breaking lows while you were down there too. Maybe we should all get t-shirts that say "I survived the Great Florida Freeze of 2010" Maybe we could get someone on the DISigns board to create an image of Mickey wearing a Parka, gloves, winter boots, etc...

1987 - offsite / 1988 - offsite School Trip / 2007 - ASMo / 2010 - AKL and Poly / 2013 CB
Old 12-20-2010, 01:25 PM   #5
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

I'm here!

Can't wait to read about your trip

Emma x
Old 12-20-2010, 01:33 PM   #6
Pollito916
Some day my Prince will come and I'll live in the castle...
I do NOT have a Chicaaahgo accent!

Hi Michelle! Welcome back, can't wait to read all about your trip!
Old 12-21-2010, 09:33 AM   #7
Tinkermom76
Gawrsh

I'm here!!!! Can't wait to read more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy_of_Princesses View Post
I'm in.

I see you had some record breaking lows while you were down there too. Maybe we should all get t-shirts that say "I survived the Great Florida Freeze of 2010" Maybe we could get someone on the DISigns board to create an image of Mickey wearing a Parka, gloves, winter boots, etc...
LOVE this idea... Lime green has to be included in the shirt

Me (Natalie) DD12 (Eryka) DD9 (Emma)

May 1989 offsite, May 1999 CBR, Feb 2008 Nickelodeon, Dec 2009 CR, Dec 2010 Pop, Oct 2011, Pop, Feb 2012 WL, Sept 2012 POR, Sept 2013 ASM, May 2014 Pop, Dec 2014 CBR
Old 12-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #8
exwdwcm

WELCOME ALL!!!! Thanks for reading along. I'll be posting up our first day tomorrow when I can work on it tomorrow while work is dead. I know, my trip report isn't on my 'project list' at work, but it is now! Shhhhhh, don't tell anyone! Enjoying some fabulous weather here in TX- it is supopsed to be upper 70s today! Warmer than Orlando even, in fact they say Dallas is one of the warmest spots in the country today, nuts, right? At least it gets chilly for Christmas. Is all of your shopping done yet? I have a few more things, but mostly done. I work today and then hopefully get off at 2pm tomorrow, then off Thursday, Friday and Monday. I so need the time to recover still from the trip. Sad to say, but by day 8, i was pretty ready to come home. Knowing we have another trip booked already, makes it all the better though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eecteacher82 View Post
I'm here! Can't wait to read all about your trip! Sorry we never got to meet up!
Welcome! i subscribed to yours too- can't wait to read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie & Glen View Post
Here! can't wait for the details!
Welcome!

Quote:
I'm in.

LOL, no kidding. No one even got to see all my cute shirts, they were always covered up with a coat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybarbie View Post
I'm here!

Can't wait to read about your trip

Emma x
Hi Emma- welcome!!!! How is the weather over there- still lots of snow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollito916 View Post
Hi Michelle! Welcome back, can't wait to read all about your trip!
Hi Sara- how is life with two now? Hope it is going great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
Yay! I'm here & ready to read all about your trip!
Hey there- you made it!!! Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneywedding2010 View Post
I'm here and subbing
woo hoo! welcome!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaKeys View Post
I am very excited to read along with your TR - it looks like it will be quite good!

We leave in 21 days! We're becoming as giddy as children waiting for Santa. (Will be me, DH, DD and DSIL.)

Read you soon!
Welcome to the craziness! so excited for you- you will have a fabulous time and the crowds should be great for that time of year too! Do you have a PTR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRed95 View Post
Hi Michelle! I'm new to the DISboards, but an old Disney Pro. I'm excited to read about your trip. I'm a former WDW College Program grad as well! Can't wait to hear about your stay at BLT!
WELCOME!!! When did you do your program and where did you work? I can't believe it has been 14 years since mine- seems like yesterday. We did run into my old roommate there too- so fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmoore14 View Post
I'm in. Sounds like this will be a great trip report!
woo hoo- welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkermom76 View Post
I'm here!!!! Can't wait to read more!

LOVE this idea... Lime green has to be included in the shirt
So glad you are here! and yes, definitely lime green!

84, 86-FTW, 93-FTW, 97, 98-OFFSITE, 00-POR, 03, 04, 05-GAYLORD, 04-POFQ, 05-POR, 06-CBR, 07-AKL, May 09-DIS Podcast Cruise, DEC 09-DAP/WL, Sept 10-DL, DEC 10 BLT, FEB 10 JOINED DVC! AUG 11 DLH, OCT 11 BLT, NOV 2012 BLT
Old 02-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #9
k_reile
Slowly converting my son into a Disney lover!

Quote:
I'm in.

Hi MIchelle! I am only on page one but had to comment on this! I say...add me to this group...only I was there in Feb 2010! We might have left a huge snowstorm to go to Disney then but it wasnt much warmer in FL than it was in Ohio in Feb!
Old 12-20-2010, 06:42 PM   #10
nmoore14
Is there life outside of Disney? If so, I don't want to know about it.

I'm in. Sounds like this will be a great trip report!
Old 01-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #11
exwdwcm

Monday, December 6th

This is the one day I have ZERO trip notes for. Oh well. So going off memory of over a month ago and my original schedule notes. Bear with me and let’s hope it is right. Looking at my pics for reference too. J

Today’s plan was to head to Epcot for opening. We don’t always make the actual rope drop, but we are usually there right after. However, my MIL was taking forever to get ready again, so we were all ready and dressed, eating breakfast and waiting at the table. I was hoping to leave by 8:30am to head to Epcot, but it was closer to almost 9am by the time we left. So we take the monorail, which takes more time with the switch at the TTC and all. We finally make it over, get through security and in the gates. I am trying to make them move fast, as I know how quickly the lines and FP at Soarin go. We do stop to see how long the lines is at the character spot, and it is pretty long, so we keep going. MIL and Lindsey decide they want to check out the line and maybe wait for characters. So the rest of us head to Soarin to get FPs. I go down and grab them while Alan and Will wait and we head back. I can’t remember what time the fastpasses were for, but I think it was like 2 hours from then.

As we are walking back towards the character connection area, we see MIL and Lindsey, they said the line was way too long……yep………see what happens when you don’t get there early!!??? LOL. Anyhow- we happen to catch the Jammitors.

Another trash can success! This was also on my list of to-do’s if we could find them. So it was fun to see them play. Will loved it and got a JR Jammitors sticker too. We really had fun stopping to take in entertainment this time and I hope to do more of it next trip too.

So after watching the Jammitors wrap up, we decide to head into the Seas with Nemo. We walk by the ‘mine, mine, mine’ birds, love them and park the stroller. In we go and have no line at all for the ride. Cute ride, better than the old one at least. DH and I rode this last time and waited almost 20 minutes for it (so not worth 20 min wait), so glad it was a walk on. However, it was so dark in there and Will was going a little too fast through the line and couldn’t see and ran smack dab into the bar with his head. Poor thing- really got a nice bump on his head.

After the ride, we see that Turtle Talk with Crush was about to start in like 10 minutes, so we get in line. Alan sat out, he didn’t care to do it. I sat on the floor with Lindsey and Will and they enjoyed it. She raised her hand to participate, but the girl next to her got picked instead. I’ve done this like 3x now so I think we can skip it next trip. We then spent some time exploring all the exhibits and saw the dolphins too. Lindsey even spotted another hidden mickey.

We really enjoyed seeing all the marine life in the main aquarium. Apparently while we were in Turtle Talk, Alan saw a diver go up the main shaft thing too. I’ve yet to actually see that.

After visiting the seas, we decided to go ahead and use our Soarin FP. So park the stroller again and head in. We weren’t sure if Will would measure up or not. We hadn’t measured him at home lately, but at his 3yo checkup on October 30th, he was 38.75 without shoes. Alan was carrying Will at the time when we went up to hand in our FPs and the CM didn’t blink an eye and we all walked in together. Woo hoo- score! Didn’t even stop to measure him- I guess since Alan was carrying him and he just looked tall- who knows. Or maybe the CM was just busy and distracted. Plus we just walked up with ‘authority’, we didn’t look all ‘iffy’ or uncertain, we walked up like we knew he was tall enough, I think that helped. The FP line still took us awhile to get through though, as it always does on Soarin. So we waited 15-20 minutes anyhow. As we got through to the next checkpoint, where the line splits into two, the CM there almost stopped us I think, but we had kept walking and she never called us back to measure. There was more stop before getting lined up into the rows and we saw the measuring stick there, but that CM didn’t stop us either. So we were good. As we learned later in the trip, Will was just at 40” in his tennis shoes, so we would have been okay.

We boarded Soarin and had a great ride. Will loved it and MIL and Lindsey really enjoyed it! It is a favorite of mine and I of course love the soundtrack. Listening to it all the time on my iPod or live365 radio. Plus, who doesn’t love ‘Puddy’ from Seinfeld on the intro? We got third row unfortunately, so had feet hanging in front of us, but oh well.

After Soarin through the sky, we headed out and went towards Journey into Imagination. Of course we needed a potty break first. Surprisingly, there was like a 5 minute wait for the ride. I’ve always walked on this one. We did our quick ride with figment and left. I was sad to see all the exhibits closed except for the little musical one where you conduct the music and the little lights with squares the kids jump on to make sounds. Everything else was closed. My old roomie used to work here as a contractor for Kodak for about 3-4 years. She wore the white lab coat and did the little ‘skit’ they do for Kodak as you first exit the ride. Their contract was ended late in 2010 though and she has since signed a new contract doing entertainment in the Italy pavilion instead. So I missed seeing her here. I remember as a kid, this area used to be great- in fact, does anyone remember when you could go upstairs? They had tons of exhibits upstairs too- I remember a green screen thing too where you became part of a little movie- we loved doing that. I swear we spent hours in the exhibits area as kids (late 80s, early 90s). And they also had a huge display of photographs upstairs too you could go look at (like a photo competition or gallery).

So after figment, we were pretty hungry. It was probably well after noon now or 12:30 or so. We headed towards the World Showcase to seek out the bakery in France for some lunch. But before we got to the bakery, Lindsey saw Marie. I don’t think she knew who Marie was, but she wanted an autograph. Marie was very sweet and we got a cute pic.

You will see in the pic Lindsey is wearing her new peace/love mickey hat. It was that cold- to necessitate hat and gloves, especially since I was pushing the stroller and couldn’t put my hands in my pockets.

Then onto the bakery. The line was out the door. And man was it cold outside today. MIL and Lindsey went to look in the store with Will and find the bathroom while Alan and I waited in line. It moved fairly quickly at least. I got my favorite- a ham and cheese croissant and chocolate mousse. Alan got a chocolate éclair and coffee. We got Will this pizza bread that he ended up loving. We also got something for Lindsey/MIL to share, I think it was also a ham/cheese croissant, but can’t remember.

Originally, I was thinking we could take our food and walk towards the USA pavilion and sit inside there to eat since it was so cold outside. But once we got out, MIL had scored a table in the little street there, and it was in the sun. So we managed, at least in the sun it was warmer. My croissant was awesome as usual and Lindsey really enjoyed it too, a first time try for her as well. Will loved his pizza bread as well- it was heavy garlic, but he loved it and finished the whole thing.

We had a nice little lunch and headed off to explore Morocco. I love seeing all the nooks and crannies here and we checked out all the stores too- I think MIL even bought something. Alan commented how the quick service dining option here looked good so we might have to try it next time.

We next headed to Japan and our goal was pick a pearl! We went in the department store, which I love….and I got us a number and we watched the end of one lady doing hers and then it was our turn! I had read to pick the ugliest one and you will get a nice pearl, so I did.

We each picked one. We enjoyed the fanfare around opening them too. Mine turned out to be the biggest of the day so far, at 8.25. MILs was 7.25 and Lindsey’s was 7.5.

I had ordered the Cinderella cage necklaces on ebay prior to the trip and gave those to them. Unfortunately my pearl was too big for the cage, so I’ll have to find a way to mount it later. I might even take it back in October and have it mounted on a ring or something then.
(picture is from dizneechic)

You can find them here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/18K-WGP-PEARL-CA...item43a33e071a

We really had fun doing pick a pearl and I highly recommend it here! We then took our time exploring the store some. They have such neat items in there. A few years ago, Alan and I bought his mom a little snack/candy from each country in World Showcase as a souvenir. We got her this awful dried shrimp snack in Japan there. So we all had a good laugh looking at the interesting pre packaged snacks. By the time we finished Japan, I knew we had to really get moving faster if we wanted to take a decent break. We had ADRs for dinner at O’hana at 5pm.

So we rushed through the USA and didn’t stop there. I love hearing the Voices of Liberty, but we missed the American Adventure this time. So it is on the list for next year! We also rushed through the rest of the countries without really stopping much. We did stop briefly to peek in Caramel Kruche, but the line was out the door. I had read AP holders got a free bag of caramel corn, but we decided to come back later in the trip.

We stopped and got a quick drink/coke at the refreshment port/Africa before making our way back around China, Norway and Mexico. We really didn’t have time to do TT or anything else, so we just headed back out and home to BLT for a break/nap. We got Will down and later went to wake him up and saw he had his hands in his diaper. It was so funny. Now remember, we were potty training this trip. He had just ‘got it’ the week before. He never had an accident while we were out and about touring WDW. However, he did have an accident during his nap and we didn’t want to have to wash the sheets every day, so we put on a pullup/diaper for his naps and nighttime. Most times he was dry, but since we had to wash our own sheets as DVC, we didn’t want to risk him wetting the bed.

And so up next- dinner at O'hana, will we make it in time? Then freezing our butts off at MK to catch MSEP!

Last edited by exwdwcm; 01-07-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:04 PM   #12
Daddy_of_Princesses
The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwdwcm View Post
This is the one day I have ZERO trip notes for. Oh well. So going off memory of over a month ago and my original schedule notes. Bear with me and let’s hope it is right. Looking at my pics for reference too.
Trip notes? Why didn't I think of that. I have to do my entire TR based on memory. Well, memory and pictures, and since I have 1300+ pictures, I guess I am good for around 1.3 million words.

I never knew about the Jammitors, of course we didn't see them, so I guess it doesn't matter now.

1987 - offsite / 1988 - offsite School Trip / 2007 - ASMo / 2010 - AKL and Poly / 2013 CB
Old 01-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #13
exwdwcm

Quote:
Trip notes? Why didn't I think of that. I have to do my entire TR based on memory. Well, memory and pictures, and since I have 1300+ pictures, I guess I am good for around 1.3 million words.

I never knew about the Jammitors, of course we didn't see them, so I guess it doesn't matter now.
lol at the notes. I usually take a small notebook that serves as my trip book- like notecard size and i tape my itenerary, ADRs, flight info, car rental and all details in it and then use it to take notes and stuff too. I tried to take notes during our midday breaks, but it didn't happen everyday. The pictures help a ton, but i didn't take much this trip.

lol at 1.3 million words! i am subscribed and reading- and counting.

The Jammitors were cool, not as cool as PUSH though.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:47 PM   #14
Daddy_of_Princesses

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwdwcm View Post
lol at the notes. I usually take a small notebook that serves as my trip book- like notecard size and i tape my itenerary, ADRs, flight info, car rental and all details in it and then use it to take notes and stuff too. I tried to take notes during our midday breaks, but it didn't happen everyday. The pictures help a ton, but i didn't take much this trip.

lol at 1.3 million words! i am subscribed and reading- and counting.

The Jammitors were cool, not as cool as PUSH though.
We didn't see Push this trip, but did see it 4 years ago. Of course I also forgot about the Coke thing at EPCOT. Didn't have it in my planner, and it just completely slipped my mind. My wife loves coke, so I think she would have gotten a kick out of it.

Your pearl was huge, we got 3, two 7's and a 7 1/4. They all fit nicely in the Cinderella Carriages.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #15
Tinkermom76
Gawrsh

I find it very hard to try to get stuff done in FW and WS in the same day, especially since Epcot is so big and the kids are walking. I always plan a day for each area

One day I will do pick a pearl but for some reason I always forget

Me (Natalie) DD12 (Eryka) DD9 (Emma)

May 1989 offsite, May 1999 CBR, Feb 2008 Nickelodeon, Dec 2009 CR, Dec 2010 Pop, Oct 2011, Pop, Feb 2012 WL, Sept 2012 POR, Sept 2013 ASM, May 2014 Pop, Dec 2014 CBR

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: