Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
Sooze
DIS Veteran

Thankful for Disney - SOOZE's Thanksgiving TR FULL of PICTURES! NEW!! 6/5

Hello everyone! My name is Sooze. If you know me, welcome to my latest TR! If you don't, I'm going to be jumping right into this report, so if you REALLY want to get to know me, feel free to click on one of the links in my signature. If the date of the trip is underlined, there is a link to the TR! Enjoy!!

Day 1 Arrival at POFQ (Just scroll down!)

Day 1 Starting at Epcot

Day 1 Mission: LOUD!

Day 1 Divide and Conquer

End Day 1 Wishes!

Day 2 DHS Morning

Day 2 More DHS Fun

Day 2 Block Party Bash and Osborne Lights

End Day 2 at AK with EMH

Day 3 EMH at MK Girls' Morning Out

Day 3 Spin Fest on the Teacups and Crusin' the TTA

Day 3 Princess-Palooza

Day 3 Meeting Rapunzel and Flynn Rider

Day 3 Main Street Show and the Tray Dance

Day 3 Thanksgiving Meal.... Meh.

End Day 3 MSEP and EMH at MK

Day 4 Drama before Epcot

This Thanksgiving, we were able to surprise our kiddos with a short getaway to Disney! We woke them up at 4am and told them we had to go to the airport to pick up a 'surprise' Thanksgiving guest. DS (Ty) was on it right away. The boy is now 10 and can see through a surprise pretty quickly (much to our dismay). He was questioning our actions, and even mentioned Disney a few times... but didn't nail the surprise on the head.

After parking ("Why are we parking if we are just picking someone up?") we quickly unloaded the suitcases and handed the kids their princess ears (for DD-Shae) and lanyard. We said, "We think you may need these!" Then, it sunk in!! It wasn't a giant explosion of gratitude and joy... it was more of a slow, bubbling realization that we weren't kidding. Well... here... see for yourself!

What's that? You can't SEE?!?! Well, that's because it was 4:30 in the morning, and our lighting situation was not ideal. Oh well... at least you can enjoy the cold Hoosier wind..

Our flight was direct and we were HOME in no time!! This was our first time staying at POFQ, so we were excited to see some new digs.

Here we are arriving:

We just love taking the first flight out in the morning and arriving at Disney just as people are getting up and out of the resorts. It feels like we have the whole day ahead of us.. and, heck.. we kind of do!

Right away we were greeted by a fabulous CM who gave DD a purple coin to match her purple outfit:

That coin gave us lots of entertainment throughout the trip, and my little princess did not let it out of her sight! She treasured that little cheap piece of plastic!

We had to wait much longer than we are used to. Not that we minded, just a bit DVC spoiled, I guess. I had time to enjoy the fabulous Mardis Gras artwork:

I had to sing a few rounds of "Down in New Orleans" from Princess and the Frog. In fact, every time we came "home" to POFQ, I had to sing that song. It just fit so perfectly! The kids entertained themselves while we continued to wait for an available CM:

I just love how my children get along at Disney World. Why is that? They are just so happy to be there that they forget about their supposed sibling rivalry? Or maybe they're afraid we'll turn around and go home if they misbehave?

DS singing a lovely POFQ song:

Ok, enough of this lobby! Finally, it was our turn.. and it was worth the wait. Not even 11am and our room was ready! YEA!! This meant we could eat and take a quick nap before heading out for the day!! AND we were in the building right next to the main building! SCORE!!

It was building #3 and I loved how the building looks hidden from the parking lot:

Building THREEEEEE, Mommy!

We arrived in our room to find:

Sing with me now, "In the Southland, there's a city, way down on the river. Where the women are very pretty. And all the men deliver..."

Another picture of our building:

We dropped our luggage and headed immediately to the food court... at RIVERSIDE!! DH (Matt) and I had taken an adults-only trip a few years ago and stayed at POR... we LOVED the food court. So, sticking with what we know, we found our way there. It was deserted and we quickly enjoyed our first $45 counter service meal. Ouch... the OOP meal prices were already starting to hurt. Nevertheless, we still sprung for a couple of these:

Filled them up with Diet Coke. Then headed back to the room

for a little bit of this:

Ah... Disney naps, blanket love, and Stacy on the TV. Good night, Disney World!

And speaking of World... we had two of them calling our name. Future World and World Showcase. After naps... EPCOT HERE WE COME!!!

Come back now y'all!
1978 CR,1989 Off Site, 1991 Off Site, 1992 CR, 2003 ASM, 2004 CBR, 2005 CBR, 2005 BCV, 2006 OKW, 2007 SSR,2007 BWV,,2008 POR,2008 OKW,2008 BCV,2009 SSR, 2009 BCV,2009 SSR,2009 SSR ,2010 BWV,2010 POFQ ,2011 Grand Gathering at BWV,2011 Drama Queens in Orlando,2011 Disney Dream New Year's Cruise,2012 OKW,2012 OKW Parents' 40th Anniversary2013 Spring Break at WLV,2013 Adult Trip BWV,2013 Disney Fantasy New Year's Cruise2014 OKW Summer Fun,2014 AKL Girls Only,2015 My First Half Marathon,2015 Spring Break Cruise

ME DH DS 14 DD 8

Last edited by Sooze; 06-05-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
Blueyed Girl
HAKUNA MATATA!

I'm in!!!! Going back to read......
Register to remove

Old 12-14-2010, 08:25 PM   #3
micandminforever
DIS Veteran

Loved the pictures of POFQ, and I am looking forward to the rest report.
One day trips with Family 1972,1973, 1976, Honeymoon off site June 1985, Off site June 1986, Off site June 1989, Grand Floridian June 1992, Wilderness Lodge June 1995, Dixie Landing(POR) April 1997, Hilton at Downtown Disney April 2000, Beach Club June 2003, POFQ June 2005, Pop Century Dec. 2005, Pop Century Jan. 2006, Pop Century Sept. 2007, POFQ Jan. 2009, Pop Century Sept 2009, BLT 25th Anniversary Trip June 2010, CBR March 2011, PORS Sept. 2012, Pop Century Jan. 2013
Old 12-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
Blueyed Girl
HAKUNA MATATA!

I wish we could have gone for Thanksgiving. That would have been NICE!! Looks like you guys are off to a great start. Can't wait to read more.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
IluvXU
DIS Veteran

Great start, can't wait to read about all the fun you had over Thanksgiving. POFQ is a great resort, but I totally know what you mean about Riversides food court... it ruins you for any of the other ones on property. Shae is getting so big, K next year right?
Old 12-14-2010, 09:51 PM   #6
mermaid764
DIS Veteran

I'm in

You've got me hooked already, and I'm looking forward to reading more
Old 12-31-2010, 12:24 AM   #7
JenSop
DIS Veteran

Location: Split between Pennsylvania and Europe (Croatia and Austria)

Subscribing! I'm just joining in - can't wait to read about it!
Old 12-31-2010, 12:39 AM   #8
Blueyed Girl
HAKUNA MATATA!

OMG, Sooze!! I swear I subscribed to this TR!! Apparently I haven't been getting the updates in my "subscriptions". BOO!!! Ok, going back to read all that I've missed!
Old 04-01-2011, 10:08 PM   #9
Sooze
DIS Veteran

We left DHS very happy as we had just witnessed the Osborne Spectacle of Lights for the 1st time as a family. By the time we made it over to Animal Kingdom for Extra Magic Hours, our happiness had turned to hunger, and BOY were we ready to eat! Can you guess where?

Yes! My favorite counter service at AK… well, almost ANYWHERE! I love this place!

And we basically had the whole place to ourselves! While we waited for our food, Shaelyn took advantage of the wide-open spaces to enjoy some dancing time! Enjoy:

I LOVE this face:

We found a lovely spot on the water overlooking Expedition Everest and chowed down on that DELICIOUS pulled pork. YUM YUM YUM!! We took our time walking over to Camp Minnie Mickey for another of our favorites, Festival of the Lion King. I could watch this show every day and not tire of it. The performers are BEYOND talented… singing, dancing, tumbling, flying on a wire… you name it.. they are fabulous at it! Shae was still in a dancing mood while we waited for the show to begin, but this time, she was channeling her inner animal!

We rocked out to another wonderful show. I love turning and looking at my family during the big finale of that show. It’s like a commercial for the dentist’s office… big, wide, shining smiles from ear to ear. Next time, I need to capture that on film! (Or digitally, I guess…)

After the show, Matt and Ty were off to Expedition Everest, while Shae and I headed to Dino Land. There was no wait whatsoever for the Triceratops Spin, so I think we rode it about six times in a row!

Shae LOVIN’ it:

I guess I was lovin’ it too! You can never get too much mommy-daughter time on Triceratops Spin!

We eventually made our way to the Boneyard, which I knew would be the end of the line. We can NEVER get Shae to leave this place. She just has a ball in here. And, I admit, so do I! The slides are great!

Lots of climbing and sliding = Disney exhaustion!!

Happy little camper in her own special dig spot:

Eventually, Matt and Ty came and found us and we switched off. Matt relaxed in the Boneyard while Ty and I battled the Yeti, that still wasn’t working. I can never say enough about Expedition Everest. It is my ABSOLUTE favorite ride in all of Disney World. I just beam from head to toe when that train pulls me backwards in the dark. Awesome!!

When we had had our fill of Yetis and dinosaur bones, we made the long trek back to our resort. What a long, wonderful day!! Beautiful weather and LOTS of experiences to share. What would tomorrow bring?

PS. Here are two performer pictures I left out of my last update. Just in case you can’t get enough of those adorable Block Party Bash costumes. (I shall miss them so..)

1978 CR,1989 Off Site, 1991 Off Site, 1992 CR, 2003 ASM, 2004 CBR, 2005 CBR, 2005 BCV, 2006 OKW, 2007 SSR,2007 BWV,,2008 POR,2008 OKW,2008 BCV,2009 SSR, 2009 BCV,2009 SSR,2009 SSR ,2010 BWV,2010 POFQ ,2011 Grand Gathering at BWV,2011 Drama Queens in Orlando,2011 Disney Dream New Year's Cruise,2012 OKW,2012 OKW Parents' 40th Anniversary2013 Spring Break at WLV,2013 Adult Trip BWV,2013 Disney Fantasy New Year's Cruise2014 OKW Summer Fun,2014 AKL Girls Only,2015 My First Half Marathon,2015 Spring Break Cruise

ME DH DS 14 DD 8
Old 04-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #10
IluvXU
DIS Veteran

Another great update.... I am sure you are ready for summer break and your next trip. I think splitting up is in our summer plans, do you set meeting times ahead or just call when you are ready to switch off again or get back together. I just wonder what people find to work best?
Old 04-02-2011, 02:14 PM   #11
Sooze
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvXU View Post
Another great update.... I am sure you are ready for summer break and your next trip. I think splitting up is in our summer plans, do you set meeting times ahead or just call when you are ready to switch off again or get back together. I just wonder what people find to work best?
1st of all... thank you SO much for not giving up on me! I was prepared to finish this trip report alone! It has been a LONG end-of-winter!!

Secondly, when we split up, it is always 'played by ear'. We each usually have something we want to accomplish (ride Tower of Terror, or watch Lights Motor Action) and when we are done, we just call each other to see where we are and what we are doing. We are totally fine with this kind of vacation, but if you and your family are extensive planners, you might not like that! But we feel like we accomplish SO much more since we are willing to divide and conquer!!

When are you going this summer?

ME DH DS 14 DD 8
Old 04-02-2011, 04:37 PM   #12
micandminforever
DIS Veteran

The parade pictures were fun. I also love Beauty and the Beast, and The Lion King. They are such fun show.
One day trips with Family 1972,1973, 1976, Honeymoon off site June 1985, Off site June 1986, Off site June 1989, Grand Floridian June 1992, Wilderness Lodge June 1995, Dixie Landing(POR) April 1997, Hilton at Downtown Disney April 2000, Beach Club June 2003, POFQ June 2005, Pop Century Dec. 2005, Pop Century Jan. 2006, Pop Century Sept. 2007, POFQ Jan. 2009, Pop Century Sept 2009, BLT 25th Anniversary Trip June 2010, CBR March 2011, PORS Sept. 2012, Pop Century Jan. 2013
Old 04-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #13
jeremysdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Yay!!! Sooze is back with 2 updates!!! Awesome!

Love the Block Party Bash pictures! We saw it for the first time last summer and Jeremy loved it. It was the one parade he would get up and dance to!! I have read mixed reviews about the current parade so I am anxious to see it.

We loved AK EMH's at night. I think it is too bad they don't offer them anymore. Did you feel like you were the only people in that park at times? We did!! It was sometimes creepy!

I started a pretrip for our summer trip. Check out my siggie. We are so excited about buying DVC. I can't thank you enough for letting use your name as a referral. We definitely have to plan a Dis meet sometime while we are there.

Can't wait to read more.

Erika

Old 06-03-2011, 10:02 AM   #14
Sooze
DIS Veteran

Talk about fish upstream. We arrived at the Magic Kingdom just as Wishes was finishing… and just as the HOARDS of people started making their way down Main Street. Matt and Dean found this as a PERFECT opportunity to be obnoxious! They started directing everyone OUT… since we were going IN. The more people that left, the less crowds for us. Here they are in action:

This way people… THIS WAY!

Our 1st stop was to find a place to watch the 11:00 showing of The Main Street Electrical Parade. We usually sit near the Hall of Presidents, which is exactly where we ended up again. There was nobody there, so we found spots right on the edge of the street and waited. While waiting, some great CMs came out and started painting a water Mickey face. I’ve seen pictures of these all over the DIS, but never actually witnessed one being made. It was fun!

When they finished, they let kids come over and fill in the ears. Here are Shae and Ty taking their turn:

Pretty soon the parade was on! We loved reliving memories, and singing along to the familiar music. But, honestly, we missed Spectromagic. I can’t believe I’m saying that, as I despised Spectro when it first came out… but it has grown to become one of our favorite parades, and we have some hilarious memories with our Band Geek friends with that parade. Maybe it will return again someday. Here is the one and only shot of MSEP that I took:

We wrapped up the evening with many rides, including… THIS ONE… again…

4th time Mommy!!

Only my 1st:

We maxed out the EMH and rode lots of favorites. Then it was time to head home, and face the fact that we were going home the next day.

What a fabulous Thanksgiving we had today! What will tomorrow bring?

ME DH DS 14 DD 8
Old 06-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #15
JenSop
DIS Veteran

Location: Split between Pennsylvania and Europe (Croatia and Austria)

Love your Ferry fireworks shots!!

And I must respectfully disagree with you about the parade. I LOVE MSEP!!!! I'm such a dork - the music makes me cry a little. No nostalgic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: