Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2010, 09:40 PM   #1
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

An Unbiased First Timers Dining Report- Short but Sweet!--COMPLETE December!!!

Hi Everyone!!
I am going to make an attemp at a dining report for the first time. I am not sure how interesting this will so just tell me if I am boring
The cast of characters is me, Rachel, and my boyfriend Corey. We have been dating for 8 years and currently reside in Minneapolis, Minnesota. We are from Toledo, Ohio and graduated from The Ohio State University!! I am missing Ohio and would like to go back sometime. This is our third time at Disney World as adults. We went for Free Dining for 6 nights.

Here is a list of places we will be reviewing.
Friday November 26th: Grand Floridian Cafe 6:20 pm
Saturday November 27th: O'hana 7:55 pm
Sunday November 28th: Crystal Palace 4:50pm
Monday November 29th: Le Cellier 4:40pm
Tuesday November 30th: Cape May Dinner 5:10
Wednesday December 1st: Tusker House 4:05pm
Thursday December 2nd: Boma 9:10 am

Counter Service:
Pop Century Food Court
Tangierine Cafe
Sunshine Seasons
Cosmic Rays
Pizza Planet
Flame Tree Barbeque
Restaurant O Saurus

Snacks:
Roasted Almonds
Karamell Kuche
Vegetable Egg Roll
Beer from Germany
Grey Goose Slushie
Kaki-Goris
Zebra Domes
Pastries from Starring Rolls
Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party Snacks

Here is a picture of Corey and I from this trip

Picture from Our First Trip Together in College

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation

Last edited by rachel09985; 12-20-2010 at 08:07 PM.
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:18 PM   #2
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

Day One- Pop Century Lunch and Grand Floridian Cafe Dinner

After arriving at Pop Century we got settled into our rooms and went down to the food court to get some lunch. Luckily they haven't changed their mugs yet so we reused our old mugs. I had the Chicken Alfredo.

I have gotten this meal everytime at Pop Century for the past three times I have been there. I have always liked it but wished there was more sauce so I asked for extra this time. Unfortunately I didn't like it as much this time. I think it was because of Thanksgiving food the day before. I was sick all morning and didn't really have my appetite back. However, it was still pretty good for a counter service. We paid out of pocket for this because our dining plan didn't start until the next day.
Corey had pizza and breadsticks and from what I know he liked it. He was pretty embarassed of me taking pictures of food in the beginning so I had to sneak pictures in so that is why I don't have a lot in the beginning.

Now onto Grand Floridian Cafe for Dinner. Grand Floridian was ABSOLUTELY beautiful and I LOVED looking around before dinner. We arrived early for dinner and we were sat right away at a small two top basically on top of another table. I didn't like our seating arrangement. Unfortunately we got stuck at two tops the rest of the trip. I ordered the Grand Floridian Cafe Burger.

The hollandaise sauce, lobster, and asparagus was SOOO good!! Unfortunately I didnt really care for the rest of the burger or salad. The side "salad" was literally chunks of tomatos and red onions. There was no dressing or anything on the salad, i was hoping for Balsamic Vinaigrette. It was weird to eat chunks of tomate with chunks of red onion. I didnt really finish it. As for the burger, I took the bun off and used a fork for the burger and the topping. The burger was kind of dry but it was okay.

By the way the bread basket was not that good either. The bread was very hard and tough to bite into. You had to rip pieces of the bread off very forcefully with your teeth (weird explanation, I know). The butter was good though with the sea salt.

Corey had the steak with red wine sauce.

He said he liked the steak. I had the vegetables. The carrots were hard but the sauce was good. I don't really know too much details about his meal.

Overall, I am glad we went to GFC. The decor was beautiful! The bad thing was that we were in and out in 35 minutes!!!! I didn't like that at all. I wanted to relax. Our food came out within 5 minutes of ordering...We didn't order dessert here so that made it quicker. It felt very rushed. I don't have a receipt for here so I am not sure of the total. Corey's meal was around 28 and mind was 18. I might go back here in a couple of years, but not right away.

For dessert we had a sundae from Ghirardelli's. You can't go wrong with this. My only complaint was it wasn't big enough. It was a basic hot fudge sundae

By the way we went into that new Pollo restaurant and they have a bakery in there with the best looking organic cupcakes. I didn't try one because we had the sundae but you guys need to check it out. If anyone has one from there let me know how it was. I want to try one in June.

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2010, 06:23 AM   #3
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Great start! Looking forward to the rest!
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:09 AM   #4
loganpaulsmom
DIS Veteran

I have a lot of the same ressies for May, so I am interested to see the rest of your review..
loganpaulsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:21 AM   #5
mkandjpsmom
Mouseketeer

Sounds good so far!
Old 12-09-2010, 08:48 AM   #6
tggrrstarr
DIS Veteran

Great job! I can't wait to hear more. Just curious, why didn't your ddp start the day you checked in? Or did you just plan your meals that way. I love that chicken alfredo meal, it is sooo good. One of the things I am looking forward to in January!

October 2005-Caribbean Beach-Honeymoon*1/07 Pop Century
9/08 Pop Century*10/09 All Star Music*1/11 All Star Music*1/12 French Quarter & Western Magic*1/13 French Quarter*10/13 Grand Floridian & Eastern Fantasy
tggrrstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:49 AM   #7
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

Great start! Can't wait to see more.

pinkxray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:41 PM   #8
ChefMickey123

I brake for Mickey

Talking Doin' Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
Corey had pizza and breadsticks and from what I know he liked it. He was pretty embarassed of me taking pictures of food in the beginning so I had to sneak pictures in so that is why I don't have a lot in the beginning.

You should not feel bad about the pictures. I am quite sure that by now the restaurant staff and, probably the diners are used to the picture taking. You are doing a great job. Keep going.
ChefMickey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:15 PM   #9
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

Epcot Full Day

Now onto Epcot for our Full Day.

We don't really do breakfast ever so didn't have breakfast today.

For lunch we went to Sunshine Seasons.

I had the Asian Side and had the spicy chicken with the noodles and broccoli.

The noodles were good. The chicken was really not good! It looked and tasted like pork, which i thought was weird. It also was not spicy. It said it was supposed to be spicy but it was not spicy at all. The broccoli was okay but should have been cooked a little bit more.

Corey had some turkey and cheese deli sandwich which was HUGE!!! He took off the peppers that were on the sandwich and he said he liked it without the peppers. His meal came with potato salad, which was not your typical potato salad. I tried a bite of it and did NOT like it at all. It was not a mayo based salad it was an oil based and had a funky flavor.

For dessert I had the

Tiramisu....It was NOT good. I regret getting it, I wish I would have got the Pumpkin Creme Brulee. The bread part was soaked in liquid and it was very watery!

Corey had the

Chocolate Mousse Cake. It was very good, huge, and very rich!!

Now onto Epcot Snacks. We do love to snack and I used like 3 snack credits this day! Haha

I started with a Radeburger Pilsner.

One word...NASTY!! I threw away after taking 3 sips. I tried to like it but just didn't. It tasted like rubbing alcohol. I went to Germany about two years and really liked their beer, but this was just gross..Sucks because I spent almost 7 dollars on it.

They have a new Christmas Market in Germany (at least it said it was new on the Map) and they serve German beer and a Christmas wine (Gluhwein). Here is the menu.

To get the nasty beer taste out of my mouth I had a Kaki Gori!

This is my all time favorite snack at Disney World, especially on a hot day. I get the honeydew melon flavor. I could tell they premade the ice because it was in chunks as if it melted a little bit. Oh well, still good!!

We then went to Karamell Kuche.

I loved this chocolate covered strawberry. So juicy and good chocolate.

Corey had a dark chocolate covered marshmallow stick with caramal drizzle.

He loved it! He even took his own food picture and sent it to his mom!

Random pictures of the cases at Karamell Kuche. This is such a great addition to the World Showcase!!!

I also tried a Grey Goose Citron Slushie!!! SOOOO good!!! Corey does not drink alcohol and he even thought this was good. Tasted like freshly squeezed lemondade with a hint of vodka. Not overpowering at all.

Dinner was Le Cellier. I was soo excited that I got this reservation. I got an email from the November Cancelled Thread and as soon as I saw it, I booked it!!

I had the Mushroom Filet Mignon (sorry no picture). One word- incredible! The truffle butter sauce was what made this dish. The risotto was really good too. I ordered medium and it was more like medium rare and the woman next to me sent hers back because it was not done enough so if you are unsure of the temp, go up. A lot of people on here mention the saltiness of their meals and they are right it is salty but I didn't think it was too salty but I probabaly use too much salt everyday. It definitely didn't make the meal bad, though.

Corey had the New York Strip and he really liked his.

Oh yeah, forget to mention the soup!! I tried a cup of the Cheese Soup and it was very good! Now i know why everyone raves about it. I dipped the pretzel in the soup like everyone says but I didn't think it was good like that. They are both too good(the soup and pretzel) and need to be enjoyed separately! The pretzel bread was amazing!!! The other two breads were not good at all! If you go just ask for pretzel bread. That is what I will be doing next.

This was my second favorite meal of the trip but the only reason it wasn't number 1 is because of the dessert. I think they need to revamp their dessert menu. I had the Maple Creme Brulee.

I didn't like this Creme Brulee and I like all dessert. It was warm and very soft. I like creme brulee hard and cold. The flavor was good but it needed to have a different texture.

Corey had the Smores.

He said his dessert was "allright". The presentation was cool but that's about it.

Overall, I have come to the conclusion le Cellier is NOT over rated. It was so good. My entree was unbelievable, the soup and pretzel bread was very good. The dessert was not good though.

The total was $101 for 2 Diet Cokes, Cheese Soup Cup, Creme Brulee, Mushroom Filet, NY Strip, and Smores. What a good deal with the dining plan. We paid $100 to upgrade from Quick Service to Basic Dining Plan so this meal alone was the cost to upgrade.
Our server was Jillian, and she was the best server.

After that we went to Candlight Processional with 20 minutes before the show and were able to get in right away and we got the PERFECT seats!!!! They opened up reserved seating and we rushed to get one of those and were smack dab in the middle! I wanted to stay for Illuminations but I was so cold so we went back to the hotel.

OH YEAH, gosh I am so forgetful. I also got fresh Caramel Corn from Karamell Kuche. The BEST caramel corn ever, so soft, not crunchy at all.

Some PhotoPass Pics from this day.

I don't know if the tree is supposed to look like this but I think the middle set of lights were out!! They should have fixed that, it looks bad.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:10 PM   #10
floridascgirl
DIS Veteran

I'm really enjoying your reviews...thanks for posting Your Photopass pictures are great. Our were terrible from our last trip. We looked exhausted and pale in every one.

Many trips as a child! 2005 Thanksgiving Wilderness Lodge2008 Jan. Wilderness Lodge
2009 Jan/Feb Animal Kingdom Lodge2009 Dec. Animal Kingdom Lodge2010 July Boardwalk Inn2011 Feb. Animal Kingdom Lodge2012 Nov. Pop Century

floridascgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #11
disneybound31
DIS Veteran

Nice job
disneybound31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:39 AM   #12
momtoBrandon&Jacob
DIS Veteran

OMG it's so funny that you admitted to using your old mugs!! If this were not a dining review thread you would get hammered from all the Disboard mug police people . Good for you though - I will be reusing our mugs from 2009 when we go next year if they are still the same!

5/11 WL * 10/09 POFQ MNSSHP & F&WF * 5/08 Pirate & Priness Party POFQ * 4/07 POFQ

Last edited by momtoBrandon&Jacob; 12-10-2010 at 10:52 AM.
momtoBrandon&Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:44 AM   #13
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Really enjoying your reviews
Thank you very much!
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoBrandon&Jacob View Post
OMG it's so funny that you admitted to using your old mugs!! If this were not a dining review thread you would get hammered from all the Disney mug police people . Good for you though - I will be reusing our mugs from 2009 when we go next year if they are still the same!
It is silly to not re-use! I don't understand what the big deal is if they are the same mugs. Now there were still some people at Pop Century using mugs from when they had mugs that had the resort name on them. I would not do that but I don't want to buy another mug if they are the exact same. I am glad you understand!

Old 12-10-2010, 09:52 AM   #14
lblume91
It's magic wrapped up in pixie dust!

Enjoying your reviews so far! We felt the same way on our last trip to Crystal Palace. We loved it the first time but were very disappointed the last time we went.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:25 PM   #15
cannp123165
Very Quizzical

Great reviews! I really like the look of Ohana dinner.
DLR: 2009
DCL: August 2011 (Med)
cannp123165 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: