Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2010, 12:34 PM   #1
Latte Lover
in charge of the credit cards and plotting quickest routes to the shopping malls

1975 & 2010 A double trip report. Day 2 - Islands of Adventure

Pre-trippie here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2558071
Day 1 here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2594850

We are:

Me, Theresa
My DH Tony (Tony64)
My sister Mandy (MandyJane)
My Brother-in-law Peter (FleetPete)
My Nephew Andrew (16)
My Nephew Kieran (12)
And dd Maddie (MaddieB)

Sunday 17th October

Despite having quite a late night, we woke up at 4.15 and couldn’t get back to sleep. We poked our heads out of our room (our Master suite was next to the lounge) and saw that Kieran was already up, so we made pots of tea and coffee and popped some cinnamon rolls in the oven for breakfast.

It wasn’t long before everyone was up and we were out of the door by 7.30 am, arriving at the gates of Islands of Adventure by 8.30.

Nearly there:

Eagerly awaiting rope-drop:

We were let through the turnstiles almost straight away. There was a rope drawn across the far end of Port of Entry, however we were allowed through after just a few minutes wait. With the rest of the hordes, we raced through Suess Landing (some people were sprinting like their life depended on it), taking a short cut around the side of Green Eggs and Ham, to Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

The theming is fabulous, but we tried hard not to stop and look at anything as our goal was to get to The Forbidden Journey as quickly as possible. We grabbed a locker, threw our things in, and joined the queue.

There are so many great features inside Hogwarts as you queue – talking pictures etc, but the queue was moving too fast to take it all in, plus we had put our cameras in the locker so couldn’t take photos anyway!

Near to the front of the queue, we were split into two groups as Mandy thought she would be more comfortable in the modified seats (in fact, I think she would have been ok in the regular ones), so they were ahead of us in a different line. As Tony, Maddie and I got to the front, the ride broke down. Knowing the others were already on it, we laughed at the thought that they could be stuck in the spider part we had heard about – and they were! Mandy hates spiders so had to keep her eyes tightly shut until it moved again. Apparently, she was right next to Aragog!

We all enjoyed the ride and agreed we would come back to it another time, as the queue was lengthening rapidly.

After that, we did the Hippogriff ride (no wait) and then Dragon Challenge (5 min wait). So by 10 am we had done all three rides in Wizarding World. It’s definitely worth getting to the park early as by now the place was absolutely heaving with people.

The queue for Olivanders was ridiculous and there was also a slow-moving queue to get into Dervishes and Banges, so we gave them a miss for now.

We looked around Zonko’s and Honeydukes, where we bought chocolate cauldron cakes to have with our butterbeer!
We all tried it and took the necessary photos of foam around our mouths.

Cauldron cakes:

Me:

Maddie:

Mandy:

Tony:

Peter:

Somehow, the boys managed to avoid the indignity.

We had our photo taken with the Station Master by Hogwarts express. We are all attempting a magic spell. It didn’t work – the masses of people remained. Too many muggles watching us, apparently.

Maddie and Kieran outside Honeydukes:

As everywhere was now extremely busy, we decided to come back to Wizarding World later in the day and made our way around the rest of the park; Jurassic Park, Suess Landing and Spiderman, stopping for lunch at midday and splitting into two groups. Tony and I went to Mythos and Maddie went with the others to Burger Digs.

Our lunch at Mythos was excellent as usual. I had crab cake sliders with watermelon salsa and creamy potato salad – so delicious. Tony had the filet steak and we shared the gooey chocolate banana cake, which we love.

We met up with the others and for some crazy reason thought it was a good idea to go on Popeye and Bluto’s Bilge Rat Barges. We know you get soaked on this ride, and we didn't want to get soaked, but we did it anyway!

Andrew, very sensibly, decided to sit out this ride and took a photo of us instead:

We really were completely drenched.

We had to walk up to Wizarding World, dripping all the way. We went into the restrooms to try and wring out our clothes, but it didn’t help much.
We squelched around the shops at Wizarding World, which were probably even busier than before, but at least people gave us a wide berth when they saw how wet we were.

Maddie bought a quidditch shirt, a gryffindor crest banner and some Harry Potter tumblers, then some of us joined the queue to get into Dervish and Banges, and in fact it was the longest queue of the day!
It’s such a cramped shop so it can’t accommodate many people at a time. We bought some postcards (surprisingly there are only four different ones, so we bought them all) and Maddie bought a photo frame. We had all the postcards stamped with the owl post postmark when we got outside.

Then it was time for wand-buying! It's a serious business, making sure you get the right one. Here's Kieran trying them out before settling on Dumbledore's.

We were still very wet and tiredness was beginning to creep in by now and we decided to go back to the villa. After showering and changing into dry clothes we popped out to Walmart and picked up ribs, chicken, pizza, salad and garlic texas toast for dinner, plus a tray of mixed cheesecake slices and some Ben and Jerry ice-cream that we can’t get in England (Peanut Brittle and Milk and Cookies). There were lots of other lovely flavours including one called “Everything But The” which really did seem to have everything yummy in it.

We’d had a really lovely day and the only bad bit was when I dropped my camera getting out of the car and it no longer focused properly. Maddie said to leave it as she’s always dropping electronic things(!) and they usually work fine by the next day.

We watched a bit of American football then fell into bed.

Tomorrow: Typhoon Lagoon and the Mystery of the Disappearing Family Members.

1975 Royal Plaza 1997 Master's Inn Kissimee 1999 Clarion Universal 2001 Howard Johnson Maingate East 2003 Econolodge 2005 Howard Johnson Maingate West 2006 Our Timeshare at Sheraton Vistana Resort 2007 Club Sevilla 2008 Sheraton Vistana(May), Terrace Ridge (Aug)Nov 2009 Barefoot'n' in the keys, Kissimmee2010 Cumbrian LakesOct 2011 Sheraton & Disney MagicNov 2012 Florida Keys, The Sheraton, and OKW
Latte Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
jockey
Repeat after me....I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's!!!!!!

Great day fab pics too, I can't wait to try butter beer
Register to remove

Old 11-15-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
Mrs Doubtfire
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a great day - you sure did get wet
Old 11-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
SusanEllen
DIS Veteran

Theresa,
I don't mean this as hollow flattery to you and Mandy and certainly don't mean to indicate that Maddie looks older than her years but honestly, take a look at the sequence of beer lips and tell me, doesn't it look like you're three sisters? WDW seems to work like a time travel tonic for you and Mandy. Don't they say that a genuine smile works like a good face lift?
Old 11-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #5
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

I love all your butterbeer photos.
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:45 AM   #6
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Love the butterbeer photos
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:47 AM   #7
Tammy Stringer
I love babies - all milky and baby powdery
Do you knit, Barbara?
Up for the marquee option

A great day Theresa. Sounds like you enjoyed some tasty food too at Mythos and from Walmart. Lovely sounding Ben & Jerrys
- I love peanut brittle.

Can't wait to visit WWoHP sometime in the future it looks amazing

Tam
Tammy Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:16 AM   #8
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

great update - some lovely pictures
20ish trips to USA 1997 onwards including All Star Movies Dec 2009 with DDP, OKW Oct 2010 with DDP, Floridays Resort Oct 2011, Bahama Bay resort May 2012, OKW Oct 2012 with DxDDP, All Star Movies Oct 2013 with DDP

DH 39 Me 39 DD 8

Perfectly Princess Tea Party Review Disney Dining 2010 Review
Dining on a budget - $100 a day with coupons All new Dining on a Budget of $100 May 2012
Dixons go Deluxe Oct/Nov 12
dixonsontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:18 AM   #9
taylor91
DIS Veteran

Looks like you had a great day, I love IOA, it is an amzing park, especially with WWOHP now within it
Looking forward to day 3
Old 11-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #10
Muscateer
DIS Veteran

Great day, love all your photos
Old 11-16-2010, 09:52 AM   #11
UKDEB
Found the Tag Fairy's hangout
All whacked up on Scooby Snacks

DISboards Moderator

What a fun-packed first day. Your comments about the rope drop sprint, made me wonder if that still happens at other parks. For years our MO was to arrive before official opening, but I can't remember the last time we did it. I can't wait to visit WWoHP, but I'm praying it will be quiet for us when our time comes.

The others don't know what they missed by passing over Mythos for Burger Digs! It's too long since we last ate there.

We always say we'll leave the wet rides until last, but then end up not doing them at all. I think the only thing for it is to get drenched and to hell with it. Maddie looks about as impressed as I do when I get my hair wet, though!

I hope there will be some photos of the villa at some stage. I love to see the accommodation and you always seem to strike lucky on that count.

October 1992 ~ Enclave Suites, I-Drive May 1996 ~ Omni Rosen, I-Drive October 1998 ~ Villa-Clear Creek August 2000 ~ Beach Club/Villa-Sunset Lakes July 2001 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge/Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns Christmas 2001 ~ Villa-Formosa Gardens October 2002 ~ Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns May 2003 ~ Portofino Bay/Villa-Cumbrian Lakes January 2004 ~ Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes/Villa-Formosa Gardens July 2004 ~ Grand Floridian/Portofino Bay/Villa-Formosa Gardens December 2004 ~ Villa-Rolling Hills/Disney Wonder Cruise/BoardWalk Grand Villa/Contemporary April 2005 ~ Washington DC, Shenandoah, Blue Ridge Parkway, Charleston, Savannah, Royal Pacific Resort/Villa-Acadia Estates January 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/Royal Pacific Resort April 2006 ~ Celebration Hotel/NCL Jewel Cruise/Hotel Victor, Miami/Beach Cottage-Disney's Vero Beach October 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/BoardWalk Villa/Rosen Shingle Creek August 2007 ~ Saratoga Springs//Reunion Grande January 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs/Beach Club Villas/Reunion Resort November 2008 ~ BoardWalk Villas/Royal Pacific Resort/Saratoga Springs March 2011 ~ Celebrity Cruise/Veness Towers, a stone's throw from the Magic Kingdom November 2012 ~ Bay Lake Tower/Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota/Ritz-Carlton Destination Club, Jupiter/Saratoga Springs September 2013 ~ Kidani Village/Saratoga Springs May 2014 ~ Beach Club Villas/Wyndham Grand Bonnet Creek/Bay Lake Tower
UKDEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:30 PM   #12
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

Another great day Theresa, your photos are lovely I can't believe how busy WWOHP still is

I look forward to your next update

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: