Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
nenner1
I must've been distracted by the Cafe Press Logo Thong talk!

Smile Video Killed the Trip Report Star: A Little Halloween Magic (Western) Complete!!

Hello friends, freaks, and fans!

After a very long and painful absence I am excited to announce my long anticipated return to the DCL Trip Report forums with a brand-spanking new and revolutionary (drum roll please) TRIP REPORT!

Right here is where you start, and although I don't have much for you to read yet because frankly I am 8 days from leaving and too stinking busy to breathe.

In any event, this is what it's all about: 10 days and 9 nights of fun, sun, sand, sea, spooks, frights and delights including a 7 night Western Caribbean cruise aboard the Magic for Halloween! On top of that I'll add to the haunts from the Walt Disney World Resort with a stop by Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party!

You'll get to see the power of the Dis as our very active and wonderful meet thread experiences more group activities than you could or should count. You'll sail the seas with us, visit the ports of Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Castaway Cay. We'll do really cool stuff like Dis Meets, double the Tricks and Treats, Fantasy Fest, swimming with stingrays on our own private Dis Captain Marvin's excursion, chilling at Nachi Cocom where we take over the beach (also Dis exclusive), more than one scavenger hunt, Pelican Plunging and Springing a Leak on Castaway Cay, not to mention since it is always 5 'O Clock where we are, wasting away at...not one, not two, but THREE Margaritavilles! There will also be a few Tricks and Treats along the way.... plenty to keep you occupied, and hopefully enthralled!

If you're curious about the title, I should emphasize that this is not a video trip report. It is a traditional, very detailed written play-by-play of our entire trip with as many big pics as my Photobucket bandwidth can handle. There will be a video too, but that is only supplementary to our story.

I won't talk too much about us, because, well, trust me, later on you'll probably wish I'd just shut up. But I'm Jen. I'm 36, and I'm a cruiseaholic. I have a few interests besides cruising and those include Disney, video editing and production (a-HA!), digital scrapbooking, fires, and photography. The fires part- just don't ask. My DH is Ron, he's also 36 and sadly he is also afflicted with Cruise Obsession Disorder (it's contagious, folks). We have 3 children, DS Brendan (11), DD Savannah (9), and DD Sarah (2), who very charmingly sings the DCL ship horn "When You Wish Upon a Star", of which you might be subjected to ad nauseum later. This will be our fifth cruise overall and our fourth on DCL. If you don't get your fill of us here, you can read all about those via the links in my signature.

If you get lost along the way, or if we just chatter too much for you in between the segments of what you really want to read, here are direct links to each installment:

PRE-CRUISE

• INTRODUCTION: Not a Pre-Trip Report Pre-Trip Report <--YOU ARE HERE!

CRUISE!

So what are you waiting for? Hop onboard Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Cruise!

Happy Halloween!
Jen

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report

Last edited by nenner1; 03-13-2011 at 03:57 PM.
nenner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
livingis2me
DIS Veteran

Oh no, not a PTR!!! Ok, Ok, it's not really a PTR.

Being one of the cast of characters I hope this is a great trip and trip report.
Register to remove

Old 10-21-2010, 07:12 AM   #3
JKSWonder
Twelve plus trips and counting

Off to a great start so far. Following!
JKSWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:46 AM   #4
PrincessTrisha
I know what he won't do for love.
Tootsie Pottynose - Hey I kinda like the tootsie part

It'll be fun to see the same cruise through a different set of eyes.

You have a great writing style.

I can't wait to set sail
PrincessTrisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #5
Fastpaks
Living the Dream, One Image at a time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessTrisha View Post
It'll be fun to see the same cruise through a different set of eyes.

You have a great writing style.

I can't wait to set sail

LOL right?! Only like 3 different sets.. this is going to be fun!

Ps I link yours and Sarge's in my thread later tonight!

Last edited by Fastpaks; 10-21-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Fastpaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:55 AM   #6
Jennifer48
Not a Disney bride but engaged and honeymooned at Disney!

Great start! I read your last DCL TR and loved it. Hope you have a fabulous Halloween cruise!
Aulani: '13
My Latest Invention: The Traffic-eliminator-inator!
A Road Trip Engagement
Best Friends and New Friends - A MAGICal Tale
My First Disney Cruise Trip Report
Jennifer48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:26 PM   #7
nenner1

Life is a Highway/This Hotel Room

The adventure begins Thursday October 28, 2010. It is a gorgeous, warm, blue skied Florida fall day.We are decked out in our festive candy-corn tie dye outfits, the van is packed and we are ready to head out on a 10 day, 9 night Disney World and Disney Cruise Line extravaganza!!

And away we go!!!

The first stop is our traditional pre-cruise breakfast at Cracker Barrel. It was mid-morning so there was no wait to be seated (thank goodness as those Country Stores are a money pit!). We had great service and enjoyed a fun and delicious casual meal.

Pecan pancakes- the best way to start vacation!

The plan from here some might consider odd, but we continued past WDW and headed over to Port Canaveral first to check in prior to heading to Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party (MNSSHP) at the Magic Kingdom. The reasons for this were twofold. First just to be checked in and have our bags in the room, as we knew that we would be coming in very late at night after the party. Also we wanted our name on the list for the 10:00 shuttle to the Port ASAP! (more on how this works in a bit)

In any event it was a nice drive, and before we knew it, this is what we saw:

(OK, OK, that’s not the Magic, it’s really the Wonder but it was great to still get that special moment of being able to see the DCL ship as you crest that first hill)

We continued just past the Port exits to the Port Canaveral Resort Area. We were staying at Country Inn and Suites (CIS) which is a very popular low-cost option for cruisers. Two of the reasons this hotel is so popular are the Kids Suites and Priceline. There is a long thread on the main DCL board about how to get rooms at this hotel for $49/night on Priceline. While we did use Priceline to bid for our stay, we were not able to get the $49 price (although some of our fellow cruisers who bid prior to us were able to snag it). One of the factors behind this was the Cocoa Beach Air Show that weekend and also the scheduled Shuttle Launch on Monday 11/1. In fact it was estimated that there would be an extra 200.000 people would be in Port/Cape Canaveral-Cocoa Beach area that weekend! Yikes!

The first in a string of hotels/resorts we approached was the CIS. While not a 5 star resort it certainly was comfortable and well-appointed for families. The price we had bid online was in the $70/night range and we found this hotel and amenities well worth that cost. (If you can get the $49 deal, even better!!) As we drove over in our own vehicle, we elected to do the Park & Stay which is an extra $20 added on to the total cost of your room and allows you use of the shuttle to and from the port and also to park your car at the CIS for the duration of the cruise. We found this a very good deal. So for a few bucks more than what it would have cost just to park at the port for the cruise, we got to park, had a Kids’ suite for 2 nights, and the shuttle to and from the port! Excellent value!!

The Country Inn and Suites at Port Canaveral:

Check in was quick and painless and we were able to get not only a kids’ suite (available upon request on a first come-first serve basis) but all of our names on the list for the earliest shuttle to the port, which was 10:00 AM. They also had 11:00 and Noon shuttles. There were appx. 15-20 spots per shuttle and they will not open up the list until about 2 days before the sail date (you can try calling the desk to inquire about shuttle availability if you are not checking in 2 days prior like we were).

We were given a handful of colorful flyers:

Each had a different purpose. The bright pink one was our Parking Pass for our vehicle, which we got once we paid for the Park & Stay. The lime green one was our Shuttle Voucher TO the port, which listed our time to meet in the lobby and number of people authorized to board the shuttle. While they do take your names, you definitely need the voucher to board the Shuttle, and more importantly you need to keep the RETURN shuttle voucher. That one is the bright orange and it had the info on it to call for our shuttle back to the hotel from the port after the cruise. The last green slip is a breakfast voucher. CIS offers a wonderful complimentary HOT continental breakfast to lodgers. It had items like Belgian waffles, omelets, hash browns, sausage, bacon, etc. So keeping track of all of this paperwork is very important during your stay.

We then headed to our room, 107, a kids’ suite on the first floor. We were impressed by the very large size of the kids suite and expansive ceilings. In the kids’ suites there is a small little kids bedroom area consisting of 3 beds, a standalone twin and a set of twin bunk beds and also their own TV , decorated in a cute nautical theme.

This view shows the entryway, looking in to the room from the door:

The main bed/sleep area:

The living area, looking back towards the entrance:

Kids’ suite standalone bed:

The kids suite bunk area:

Sarah makes her choice!

We spent a few minutes getting acclimated and refreshed and then it was time to head back out onto the road towards MNSSHP and the beginning of the Halloween festivities!

Up Next: It’s Really Not So Scary

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report

Last edited by nenner1; 11-09-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:24 PM   #8
TotallyAngelic
Disney Addict

WOW ... your report has started !!! And what a great start! Those outfits are gorgeous. And Sarah has grown up so much since your last trip report
TotallyAngelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:01 AM   #9
AbsyBabsy
Disney Diva

Love it - can't wait for the rest!

Wonder 2006, Magic 2007, Wonder 2008, Magic 2009, Wonder 2009, Wonder 2010, Wonder 2010, Oasis 2010, Magic 3/19/2011, Dream 4/7/2011, Dream 1/26/2012 Platinum baby! Fantasy 6/2/12 Dream 9/2/12, upcoming: Fantasy 2013, Dream 2013, Fantasy 2014 Booked!
AbsyBabsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:54 PM   #10
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

WOW!!! You were busy while I was away!!! I loved reading abouit our day at Nachi- it was like being there all over again. That Treasure Hunt looked like so much fun- what an awesome job those moms did! I remember when everyone was signing up for it, I was wishing my boys were little again so they could participate...not the first or last time I have felt THAT way!!

I wondered how you got Carlos- I had read about him on CC, too- we did not have him, and I don't recall the name of our waiter, but he hustled like nobody's business, since we were all the way to the end almost. I am so impressed Carlos had those sand toys for Sarah!!

Have to go- the boys need to eat early and I'm going out with some friends tonight. I left you a text message about the DISmom trip, so LOOK AT YOUR CELL PHONE!!!
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:25 AM   #11
nenner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmears View Post
I have enjoyed reading your TRs in the past and I'm soooo glad I found this one! I am all caught up and can't wait for your next update!!! Thanks so much for sharing your trip.
Aww, thanks so much for reading! So glad to have ya back onboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
WOW!!! You were busy while I was away!!!
Well, I tried to catch ya. I got close. LOL.

Quote:
I loved reading abouit our day at Nachi- it was like being there all over again. That Treasure Hunt looked like so much fun- what an awesome job those moms did! I remember when everyone was signing up for it, I was wishing my boys were little again so they could participate...not the first or last time I have felt THAT way!!
I know what you mean, I look over at B and I can't believe it.

They really did an awesome job with the Treasure Hunt! I had a blast just watching it (when Sarah would let me)!

Quote:
I wondered how you got Carlos- I had read about him on CC, too- we did not have him, and I don't recall the name of our waiter, but he hustled like nobody's business, since we were all the way to the end almost. I am so impressed Carlos had those sand toys for Sarah!!
I'm so glad our fears about Nachi not being able to handle the volume were unfounded. I know some were disappointed with where they were placed on the beach but other than that I did not hear anything negative about the staff. All of the servers were really busting their butts.

Quote:
Have to go- the boys need to eat early and I'm going out with some friends tonight. I left you a text message about the DISmom trip, so LOOK AT YOUR CELL PHONE!!!
I got it...you just do whatcha do, sista! I'll go with the flow! Do you need to add me to an ADR or will one bonus person be OK just showing up? I was thinking it would be alright, but if you are concerned we'll talk.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #12
nenner1

Yo Ho, Yo Ho!

As soon as we boarded the Magic after our fun day in Cozumel, we hit the showers.

Back in our room, we discovered the first of what would now be termed as our “daytime” towel animals! Our stateroom host Ryan was really great, and for the remainder of the cruise we would get twice-daily creations! What a special touch! Here, Sarah’s pillow and blanket crafted a butterfly:

The kids room had this guy, he looks remarkably similar to the space shuttle we got on the first day, but due to his horizontal orientation, we deduced that he was, in fact, a shark.

Brendan was the first to get ready and get out, since he was suffering from The Edge withdrawals. I was in the shower in our room, and was called by Ron as soon as I got out to come and look, so of course I came running out in a towel to see….us leaving- and everyone on the nearby Norwegian Dawn waving. They were so very close, you could see right in the ship. It was pretty cool until I realized that if I could see them….most likely they could see me, in my towel! So I retreated behind the privacy curtain to watch the rest of our departure!

Tonight, as you know, was Pirate night so there was no stage show. Instead they featured a move in the Walt Disney Theater. Tonight it was Secretariat, which did not really appeal to us, so instead we relaxed and took our time getting ready for dinner.

When we were all ready, we headed down to first pick up Brendan at the Edge. Here is what was going on down there that night:

Then we headed up to the Atrium. We had apparently just missed Jack Sparrow- after 4 cruises on DCL we *still* have not snagged that picture. I figured we could try to catch him at Castaway Cay, but when we saw the pictures of others with him in Shutters, Ron thought he was not a good likeness at all, so we decided to skip getting a photo with the not-very-Jack-looking-Jack this trip.

Next, we made a stop into Shutters to check out our pics. I can’t say enough about the wonderful staff in Shutters! They were so amazing! Stephanie and Claire were so taken by Sarah, they would carry her around the room and she would point at and name the characters, and then when they showed her a stock photo of the ship, she would sing the horn “Bom Bom Bom Bom Bom Bom Booooommmm!”, and they all thought it was so cute! Of course this would give us an opportunity to look at and discuss our pictures, and for that we were very grateful. We got the VIP treatment every time we walked in, even when it was crazy busy, and it was so impressive. THIS is the Disney service we’ve come to know and love!

And just like that, it was time to chow down! We were back in Animator’s Palate tonight.

The Podsnel family, preparing to pillage and plunder their meal. LMAO at the left side of the table over there. I guess boys will be boys, eh?

As you can see, aside from Savannah, who got most of her getup from the Treasure Hunt at Nachi, we weren’t too gussied up in Pirate Garb, so the bandanas were the perfect accessory!

Even Mickey was in on the deal:

First out was the killer bread: Johnny Cake (which was cornbread squares) with Pigeon Pea Relish. I could have eaten just this all night (and probably should have). The bread was so fresh, warm and crumbly, and the tangy black eyed pea relish was delish (if a bit difficult to “spread” i.e. dribble on top of your bread and get to stay there while you take a bite)!

Our appetizers were quickly out, Blackbeard’s Jumbo Crab Cake and Pirate Pot Stickers for Ron, and the Buccaneer Sun Ripened Pineapple for me:

And a little mid-course entertainment!

Service was moving well tonight. We skipped the soup/salad course, but our entrée’s were out quickly. Nothing new for the kids, Chicken Strips and Minnie’s Mini Burger.

Ron had the Jack Sparrow’s Marinated Beef Short Ribs with Tamarind Barbecue Sauce served with Onion Red Bliss Mashed Potatoes and a Plantain Chip.

I had the Castaway Chicken Breast rubbed with Pirate Island Spice, served with Rice and Beans and Fried Okra on a rich spiced glaze.

Our verdict on the meal… it was just meh. Ron said his ribs were just OK, and I did not care for my chicken at all. I had eaten it before on one of my previous cruises and didn’t like it then either, so I don’t know what possessed me to order it again, but I did. And my opinion didn’t change.

So here is where things went downhill a bit. Service slowed up, Sarah melted down, Savannah nodded out.

When the music started blasting for the dining room parade and limbo, none of the kids so much as lifted an eyebrow. Brendan was finally plodded out of his chair by Mahendra and Savannah had to be shaken awake by Passayu. But once they were up, they were UP!

Savannah did make it through the limbo before the music stopped but Brendan never made it around the corner. Either we just had a really popular limbo, or….they shortened it. A lot. That’s OK though. Thanks to Ellen for letting me slide by their table to take pictures! They had the best table location in all of the restaurants!

**Continued in next post**

Old 02-08-2011, 05:58 PM   #13
nenner1

Yo Ho, Yo Ho! (Part 2)

Speaking of melting down, Sarah did temporarily perk up finally, with the arrival of dessert:

And she isn’t the only one who enjoys Mickey Bars!!!

Check out these pirates! Arrr! (Joanie and Sam)

I’m pretty sure I had a Walk The Plank Chocolate Cake, though I have no pictures to prove it. It would be outside of my character to have passed on dessert, although stranger things have happened!

Sarah was pretty well over it, and when you have late seating you do have to move to get up to the party. So we left promptly after dessert and made a stop back at the room. Sarah was so beside herself at this point, I decided to stay with her and get her to bed, while Ron and the kids headed up to the Pirate Party.

The kids had a Dinosaur!

And the reincarnated swan/lobster/scorpion in the corner got new eyes (the old ones were quite tasty!)

And across the hall in our room, we also had this cool brontosaur, or maybe it's the Loch-ness monster. What was her name, Old Nessie?:

Ron and the kids headed up to deck 9, arriving fashionably late. The midship areas of decks 9 and 10 were a madhouse and for the actual party they were stuck next to the forward stack. It did not provide a very good vantage point for the party but it was very cool when the characters left and passed right by them up the staircase.

The party is still exactly the same as it has always been, no changes at all to the cast, characters, music or storyline. But seeing Mickey zip over the crowd and the fireworks erupt at sea is always thrilling!

After the party, when most folks were ravaging the buffet, Savannah joined Ellen for some fun dancing on deck!

Even Brendan joins in!

I love this pic, I’m sure Ellen will too!!! LOL!

After the party, Brendan was back to the Edge, and Ron and Savannah headed up to finish the last 2 floors of FE deliveries!

We were really looking forward to the next day- at sea-with no reservations, no appointments, and nothing on the schedule but relaxation and spontaneous fun!

Up next: Splashfest

Last edited by nenner1; 02-08-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:29 PM   #14
dvc4life
Disney is my Happy Place

Fun update! Looked like a good time was had by all.

And the photo of Ellen jammin down, well, it just looks like she is having a blast! Go Ellen, Go Ellen!
Old 04-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #15
luvslikepi
DIS Veteran

This has been one of my favorite TR's to read. Thank you for sharing your adventures with us. You have an absolutely beautiful family!
luvslikepi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, dcl, halloween, magic, trip report

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: