Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2010, 09:54 PM   #1
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Policy about size of scooters on buses

I know that a lot of people have heard that Disney is enforcing the ADA guidelines for a "common wheelchair" when loading scooters/ECV on the buses. Hopefully this post will clear some things up:

What size is allowed?
The maximum size allowed on the buses, as defined by the ADA is: 30 inches wide by 48 inches long. This size MUST include all baskets and bags, according to the policy.

Why are they doing this?
This is for safety reasons. For a scooter to be safely tied down on the bus, it must be able to fit into the designated space on the bus. The buses were designed according to the ADA guidelines, which states the largest size for a standard wheelchair (i.e. the largest size that the bus must accommodate) is 30" wide by 48" long.
This is a picture of the box being painted on the ground at bus stops.

It is 30 inches wide by 48 inches long from the outside of the white line on one side to the outside of the white line on the other side.

What about the companies listed in the FAQs?

Apple Scooters: All scooters will fit.

Randy's Mobility: They do not state it specifically, but judging by photographs and the models they do say they rent, all scooters will fit.

Walker Mobility: They do not state it specifically, but they appear to use only Pride products, which means all scooters will fit.

CareMedical: They do not list the manufacturers of their scooters.

Buena Vista Scooters: All scooters will fit.

Scootarama: All scooters will fit

Scootorlando: All but the Dream Scooter should fit, though they do not give specific models. I know that their website says that the Dream will fit, but per a Transportation CM here on the board, bus drivers have been instructed not to load them, and the company has apparently been notified.

So what does this mean for me?

It means you should CALL YOUR COMPANY when you make a reservation for any of the larger/heavy-duty scooters and ask what models they use. You can find dimensions for any scooter online.

PLEASE double check everything I have said here. What I have said is not a guarantee, and you should always double check with the company.

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!

Last edited by SueM in MN; 10-02-2010 at 08:53 AM. Reason: added picture of box and measurements
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:40 AM   #2
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

I checked the specifications of my ECV, the Pride Celebrity-X, which is the "standard size" ECV used by many of the off-site vendors. It is 24 x 46, so it will fit into the size box with no problems.

And to add a comment, the ECV has to fit in the painted box with the front wheel(s) straight ahead. The Dream is of such size that the wheel has to be turned 90 degrees for it to fit.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

People with very large powerchairs may also want to check them out. I have not heard that powerchairs will also be affected, especially since they are easier to maneuver in tight spaces generally, but my Quantum Q600 is 47 inches long, including the footplate. So anyone with a mobility device they MUST use should double check they are going to be able to make it on the bus without a problem!

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:11 AM   #4
cranbiz
DIS Veteran

Location: Durham, NC 11 hours from the mouse, 12 hours from good clam chowder

Generally, if it is a "Mobility Device" per ADA regulations, it will be carried.

The Dream Scooter is NOT a "Mobility Device" per the regulations. The Dream Scooter is a "Convenience Device"

Within the next 6 months all resorts will have the painted box for sizing purposes. The box dimensions are 30X48. Your device must fit in the box in a normal configuration, turning the front wheels is not a normal configuration. (Note: I believe that 30x48 are the dimensions, but 32x48 seems to be the ADA number. I have not measured the box, I'm going on the info provided to all Bus cast members. If your device happens to be 32X48 and it fits on the lift normally, I'll take you. The length is more of a problem than the width on the bus unless you are trying to fit on the lift)

To use a lift style bus, the device and rider cannot weigh more than 600 pounds. It is permissible to load the device and rider separately but be aware that the driver is not required to move your device. The ramp style buses have a weight limit of 800 pounds.

If you have an Ibot device, that is a "Mobility Device" per ADA, will fit and will be transported. You will be asked to use it in the 4 wheel position for transport.

As stated before, if you are unsure about the device that you are renting, please check with the provider, get the model that you will be renting and double check with the manufacturer.

Also remember that parties of more than 6, including the ECV user will be split up. 6 is the number allowed to board through the back doors, extras will be required to use the normal queue.

These are effective 10/1/2010 (Today)

Off Site 8-91, 8-92, ASMU 12-03, 1-06 (AP preview of EE), Our FL House 9-04, 11-04, 1-05, 2-05, 4-05, 5-05, 6-05, 7-05, 9-05, 10-05, 11-05, NYE05 at EPCOT!, 4-06, 10-06(X2), AKL 12-04, CBR 6-05. Stopped recording in 06 due to working there

I have finally visited DLR - Where's the castle?

The opinions and comments in the above post do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the Walt Disney Company or any of its affiliates. This post was written while off the clock and off WDW property. Any information or advice in the above post is subject to change at any time without notice and should not, if ever, be taken seriously by anyone. All rights reserved. Your mileage may vary. Offer is valid only at participating locations. Many will enter, few will win. If this post begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head. Guarantee void in Tennessee.

Last edited by cranbiz; 10-01-2010 at 10:28 AM.
cranbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Thank you for the official, cranbiz.

As of this morning (Oct 1, 2010) there are not boxes painted on the ground yet at bus stops at Port Orleans New Orleans or at Old Key West, but 6 months seems a reasonable time to get them all painted.

This morning, I saw a guest with a Dream scooter get turned down for loading at Port Orleans. The driver put down the ramp and then came out to talk to the guest. I could not hear what was being said because of all the noise from other guests, but could see the driver shaking his head "no" and pointing at the scooter and it looked like he was signifying "too big".

After the bus left, I could hear the man say, "They let us on with this all week. They can't just make a date and say they are not allowed any more.......We'll wait for the next bus and see if we can get on."
The next bus came and that driver did load the Dream scooter.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:55 PM   #6
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Boxes beginning to show up

This morning (Oct 1, 2010) there were no boxes painted at OKW, but as of 5pm, there were boxes painted at 2 of the OKW bus stops - Miller's Road and the Hospitality House.
Here's a picture of the box at Miller's Road.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:54 PM   #7
fireplug46
Earning My Ears

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment View Post
I checked the specifications of my ECV, the Pride Celebrity-X, which is the "standard size" ECV used by many of the off-site vendors. It is 24 x 46, so it will fit into the size box with no problems.

And to add a comment, the ECV has to fit in the painted box with the front wheel(s) straight ahead. The Dream is of such size that the wheel has to be turned 90 degrees for it to fit.
when I called the operations office she told me if you can get it inside that box no matter if you had to turn the wheel it would be loaded and it is not 60 inches long when the bus would get to the bus stop I would have the scooter inside the box so he would see it would fit
fireplug46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:16 PM   #8
fireplug46
Earning My Ears

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment View Post

In may 2011 I visited Disney I had rented a Dream scooter and at first I had some problems with some of the bus drivers about loading the dream scooter I had one driver at Downtown Disney call his manager when He came over to the bus stop He looked at the scooter and asked will it fit I told him that it would He then asked if I could back it on again I said yes after I got it loaded He said if I had any more problems to call him and He gave me his business card when I called the operations office she told me if you can get it inside that box no matter if you had to turn the wheel it would be loaded and it is not 60 inches long it has about 2 inches on each side when the bus would get to the bus stop I would have the scooter inside the box so he would see it would fit.after that I had no more problems.
fireplug46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: