Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

Welcome Gurley Family--you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!

This is my first trip report and we had such a wonderful trip I just had to share all about it!! I have been inspired from reading brookelizabeths many pre trip reports and trip reports, so I am going to give it a go!
We are a true Disney family, and have been going to WDW for many years.

Our cast of characters includes myself, Missy, aka busy mom of 4.

My wonderful dh, Tony, who loves Disney almost as much as his family, Praise the Lord!

Our oldest dd, Kayla, who is 20 and LOVES everything Disney as much as her momma--We have raised her right! She would LOVE to be in the Disney College Program before she gets out of college and she is in her 3rd year right now.

Our only boy (poor thing-he knows way to much about Disney Princesses!!!), Jonah, who is 15. We celebrated his birthday while on this trip. He goes along with whatever we need, bless his heart!

Our 3rd child, dd Olivia who is 11. She is now riding most everything at WDW except for RNR. Im hoping to get her to like that really soon!

Last, but not least, is our baby--Alexa who is getting ready to turn 3 in 6 days She was 2 1/2 on this last trip (which was her 3rd trip already). She LOVES WDW and still asks daily to go back. Thankfully I just booked our next trip for May 2011. Its a long wait, but at least one is booked!

Our trip was set for Saturday May 15, 2010 thru Saturday, May 22, 2010. After finding the room only code that they offered for that time, we were able to book BLT, a 1 br, at 45% off
This resort wasnt too appealing to me at the time because it didnt look "Mickey" enough, but after staying here it is now our FAVORITE!! I booked it mainly because of the room and the washer and dryer I cant say how much I loved having that washer and dryer!! We washed a load of clothes each night and went home with only the clothes on our backs that were dirty.....this momma loves that! We had done the Give a Day promotion, so everyone had vouchers (except Alexa who was still free) to upgrade to an 8 day base ticket. We also had our annual Ohana's breakfast planned, as well as trying Cirque for the first time. This was our first trip going in the "hot" season, so I was nervous about that...we dont like heat and humidity!
And about the title of my trip report....I'll get to that real soon! On with the trip report!!
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(7)

Patiently (NOT) waiting for a new ticker

Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
Old 09-22-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
blessedby3

We had told the kids at Easter (by sending them on an Easter Egg hunt - with pieces of paper that made up a puzzle. It said where/when, etc) that we would be going to WDW again! They were very excited! Here they are searching for the eggs that held the clues to their big surprise!

And then them trying to decipher the message pieces

The message is finally decoded:

and the verdict is that we have 4 very happy kiddos

We left Virginia on Friday, May 14th. Kayla had returned from college earlier in the week, and we pulled Jonah and Olivia out of school at 11:00 to get a jump start on the drive. This was our first time driving since 2003, and we werent looking too forward to it. It is a 12 hour drive from our hometown and mix that with 4 kidsand that makes it seem like a 36 hour drive!
Anyway, the car ride started off to a great start....everyone was happy since we were heading to the happiest place on earth! They were all full of talking about what to ride first, what we would eat, and excited to be staying at BLT!

Of course, this helps the car ride go much smoother too

We grabbed drive thru at Wendys after picking up the kids from school.

We drove on and I had packed dinner for us so we wouldnt have to stop. Peanut butter or Bologna was on the menu. They decided they were hungry for dinner about 6pm.
After dinner, it was still a long drive to reach Orlando. I had made ressies for down the road not knowing how far we could drive. DH said he was good, so I cancelled the ressies and we made it all the way to FL and arrived at 11:45pm. We had very sleepy and grumpy kids by that time. No more smiling faces to take pictures of. Sorry, no grumpy kid pictures, but you wouldnt want to see those anyway!

Anyway, it was now on to finding a hotel room in the DTD area. Oh how I wished I had my mousesavers info about the preferred hotels and the ones that slept 6. If I werent so tired myself, I maybe would have thought to get on my phone internet....but I would have had to be concious and coherent, which I was not at that point! Well, we must have stopped at about 7 hotels and while I ran in the kids would place bets with their dad as to whether we would stay there or not! Places were either booked, they didnt have rooms big enough for 6, or they were just way too expensive for us to spend a few hours (literally) sleeping. We finally ended up with a room at the Buena Vista Palace. Room was okay, but very small. They actually only had 2 beds, but said they would give us a roll away at no charge. $99 and an hour after we hit DTD, we were crawling into bed- THANKFULLY!
I know I was dreaming of getting to BLT early to check in...everyone else was just zonked. And I will also get to hear those long awaited 10 lovely words....Welcome Gurley Family, You are our family of the day!!!!!!! WDW....here we come!
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA

Last edited by blessedby3; 09-22-2010 at 11:09 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #3
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

I wanna join in! You have such a lovely family and I am looking forward to reading more details about your Disney adventure.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 09-22-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
blessedby3

Woo Hoo...I have my first follower!! Thanks mickeystoontown, we had a great trip! I also checked out your bags from you link. Love them! I may have to get one for our next trip

Old 09-22-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedby3 View Post
Woo Hoo...I have my first follower!! Thanks mickeystoontown, we had a great trip! I also checked out your bags from you link. Love them! I may have to get one for our next trip
I can't wait to hear how you were chosen as family of the day.

Keep watching my ebay sales. I have more items that I am working on and hope to list them soon.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 09-22-2010, 12:02 PM   #6
smesmer
Mouseketeer

Following too...

I'm joining in also. Love your DD's name Alexa. Thats mine dd's name too. She will be 5 on her first trip to WDW Oct 2-9. Can't wait to read more
Old 09-28-2010, 10:08 AM   #7
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

I'm here! I got your link to work that you PMed me. I hope what I wrote back makes sense. Let me know if it doesn't.

I still have to read, but wanted to get you on my subscriptions. Gotta play with the little man now, be back later.
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
Old 09-28-2010, 10:39 AM   #8
blessedby3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
I would have made use of the club level lounge too. From your pictures, it looks like there were quite a few breakfast offerings.

Man oh man, what I wouldn't give for a crowd free day at the Magic Kingdom. You guys were able to do a lot of stuff in just a little time.
We did get our use out of the lounge!! Im sure the CM's thought--we see that Gurley family more than the families that are staying on this floor The offerings were pretty good. They would change them up a little every other day, so the 1st, 3rd, 5th, etc. would have one set of foods, and then the 2nd, 4th, 6th, etc. would have another set of foods.

I loved those crowd free mornings....the family would thank me for getting them up early then! We were able to do so much in the am in just a couple of hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
I'm here! I got your link to work that you PMed me. I hope what I wrote back makes sense. Let me know if it doesn't.

I still have to read, but wanted to get you on my subscriptions. Gotta play with the little man now, be back later.
Thank you SO much Brook!! I'm glad you were able to help me. I thought I was going to lose my mind. Things that should be easy are always a problem for me! Now I have my TR link and my ticker back! No more stress for me-lol. Have fun with Henry! I need to get off and play with Alexa too...its her 3rd Birthday today and we need to have some FUN!

Old 09-28-2010, 11:33 AM   #9
blessedby3

Since today is my baby's 3rd birthday, I just wanted to share a couple of pictures from Alexa's birthday party from this weekend Sorry some are a little blurry

Old 09-28-2010, 10:51 PM   #10
blessedby3

So I left off with us having enjoyed the carosel. We wanted to get in Space Mountain before it got crazy, so Kayla, Jonah, Alexa and I headed that way while Tony took Olivia to ride BTMR and get fast passes for Splash. Kayla and Jonah rode SM first, and practically walked right on. Maybe a 5 min wait. They didnt even get to play with the new electronic game area for while you wait! I waited with Alexa in the dump shop. Alexa had a snack and I got our yorkie poo (whose name is Lilo) a dog tag made in the machine. We got her a Stitch one
I didnt think the kids would be done so fast and took Alexa into the game room. Kayla and Jonah came off the ride and didnt see me in the shop and went outside looking for us. They finally found me and I couldnt believe how fast they were in and out of there! Kayla sat with Alexa and then Jonah and I rode.....I love this ride!
Tony and Olivia then showed up after riding BTMR and getting our FP's for Splash. We decided to head over to Buzz and then did Monsters Inc. So funny. I wish my DH would get picked sometime to be in the show. He would be so good!

After Monsters, we decided to get some lunch and headed over to Pinocchios (sp) Village House. We got 3 kids pizza's, a meatball sub and chicken nuggets. It was your regular Disney fare and we left full.
We ventured over to the Haunted Mansion and it was a walk on as well. Alexa had fallen asleep during lunch so that worked out well as I was sure she wouldnt like this after not liking Pirates the day before. The rest of us enjoyed it We decided to go to Splash to use our fastpasses.
She woke up on our way to Splash and we found a friend to have a picture made with:

I also snapped a pic of my family

Once we got to Splash, we discovered that it was broken down. We decided to wait for just a bit and let Alexa play on the playground beside it

She loved this play area and played on it many times during our trip. Once it opened back up we took turns riding with the older kids and used the baby swap. Afterwards we went back to BTMR (we really love this ride) and baby swapped it too. Cant remember the exact wait time, but it was 20 mins or under.

After BTMR it was getting close to closing time. This was an early close day (open 9-5) as there was a private party that night in the MK. We decided to head back to BLT and were hoping to enjoy a swim. We jumped on the monorail since we were going to the lounge to check out the evening offerings. Got there around 5pm and we really didnt like what they had. We arent adventureous people and food seemed strange. We tried a couple of things, but the kids were definately not eating anything. We decided to go to the Contempo Cafe. We really liked this on our last trip. We werent disappointed. We got 2 roast beef sandwiches, a pasta flatbread, an alfredo pasta and a kids chicken nuggets. After eating we headed back to the room and collapsed on the sofas
We were feeling the pains of the day and talked of getting in the pool. After going back and forth on what to do we decided to swim. Problem is, that by the time we were suited up, it started pouring rain.
We decided to just take it easy. I threw in a load of clothes, everyone got showers and we just relaxed.
Right before 8pm we decided to check out what the lounge puts out for desserts. We walked back over to the CR and headed upstairs. Oh boy, this was our time of the day as far as that lounge goes!! The desserts were to die for. We sampled lots:

It was all so good and we headed back to the room afterwards, but made a stop in the gift shops on the Concourse. It felt so good to get back and in the bed. I knew that morning (and early morning at that) would be here so soon! We had ressies for Ohana at 7:50am.....I would have to blast them out of the bed in the morning!

Old 09-29-2010, 04:55 PM   #11
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

All caught up now!

First things first, HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALEXA!!! 3 is a fun age, isn't it? They are learning so much, so quickly!

Loving the TR - how incredible that you got access to the lounge all week!!! I would just love that. And those MK crowds, Peter Pan a walk on?!?! That doesn't happen very often!! I hope that mojo continues throughout the week.
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: