Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2010, 01:54 PM   #1
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

This Trip Broke The Bank. Update 11/26 Day 11: Why can't I get in the MK?

Having just returned from 10 fun-filled, sweat-drenched, jam-packed days of theme park fun it is now time to write The Trip Report.

For the all of the planning, rambling, wedding, and first honeymoon details, check out the Pre Trip Report!

You probably didn't follow that link, did you? That's ok... I understand.
I'll sum it up for you, here.

That'd be us: Ben (30) and Joyce (29)
We got married in April. It looked a little bit like this:

We wanted a Disneymoon, but we also wanted a tropical honeymoon. And we couldn't do a two week trip. So off we flew to relax in Jamaica for a week after the wedding:

But we hadn't given up on WDW. In fact, we planned a fancy-pants 10 day trip for September.

Details!
We started at Portofino Bay at Universal from 9/2-9/5 and then ended up at the Polynesian for 9/5-9/12
6 theme parks, a disgusting amount of food, lots of fun, and at least one big disappointment lie ahead if you care to join along!

To get us started, here is our countdown right before leaving. Ben gets all the artistic credit, here.

Up next: Day 1: Travel, a DISmeet, the many fires of Universal, and we meet someone 'we'll call Roseanne'.
The rest of Day 1
Day 2: You're a wizard, Harry!
More Day 2: Stuff that isn't Harry Potter
Day 2: Bonus material.
Day 3: Making money, drinking drinks.
Day 4: What if we've hyped it up too much?
Day 4, cont: Behind the door.
Day 4, again: Still not the end of this day!
Day 4, some more: Holy cow, is it over yet?
Day 5: Stuff we did till it was time for Hoop Dee Doo
Day 5, cont: More stuff we did before Hoop Dee Doo and then the actual Hoop Dee Doo
Day 5, finished!: A surprise mostly ruined
Day 6: New Epcot
Day 6, cont: Exploring the World, one drink at a time.
Day 7: You can change the name, but it's the same place.
Day 8: I get mad, we have fun, Ben gets mad
Day 8, cont: I get really mad. But then I get over it.
Day 8, more: Keeping cool
Day 9: Hot theme park action
Day 9, cont: You wanna talk about bank breaking?
Day 10: What a Disney park on the sun would feel like
Day 10, cont: Ridding the World of villains
Day 10, finished: Napping, scaring strangers, etc
Day 11: Why can't I get in the MK?
Our next adventure: a new PTR!

Last edited by Joyciemc; 11-30-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
tankgirl427
DIS Veteran

NO! You aren't allowed to have anything bad happen on your Dismoon!

"You held me down, but I got up, Get ready cause I’ve had enough."

PHM 2015-In Pursuit of Cupcakes While Running in Glass Slippers

Pre 2006 doesn't count, 2006: Dolphin, 2006: 16 hours of MK & EP, 2009: DL, 2010: PC with DDP, 2011: Off-site with friends & PC, 2012: AKL & BLT, POFQ, 2013: POP, POP, DL, POP
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2010, 02:43 PM   #3
mandas08
Mouseketeer

I'm subbing!! Cant wait I'm going to go back and try to get all caught up reading your PTR. I think I'm on page 9 so far..I have a bit to go haha! I love all the wedding details so far!!

Last edited by mandas08; 09-13-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:08 PM   #4
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl427 View Post
NO! You aren't allowed to have anything bad happen on your Dismoon!
I know, but I guess Disney didn't get that memo. Nothing trip-ruining, but there were some snafus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandas08 View Post
I'm subbing!! Cant wait

Hope you enjoy the report! You're leaving for your own trip soon, so exciting!!
Old 09-13-2010, 03:22 PM   #5
Stefy
Fantasising of our next DCL & WDW Trip

I'm here and ready to go popcorn:

Not liking the sound of the this bad happening

Love the title, as Disney trips really do break the bank don't they
Old 09-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #6
EeyoreEma
DIS Veteran

I'm looking forward to hearing all about it! Hopefully there were enough good things to offset the snafu's!
Old 09-13-2010, 03:54 PM   #7
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Day 1 comes with a special bonus chapter....

We'll call it... The Night Before

It was hot, hot, hot in Mass on 9/1. And super hot in our house. We had removed the window AC units because Hurricane Earl was due to head this way while we were gone. So we sweated and packed and sweated some more. I distinctly remember standing in the kitchen cutting out LGMH (wich looked like this

with sweat dripping off of me. Glamorous, I know. This would turn out to be a very fitting prelude to the coming trip.

We had been planning on spending the night at Ben's parents, as they are close to the airport we flew out of (TF Green near Providence). At the last minute, plans changed and we stayed at our house.

That's the end of the bonus chapter. Now we continue with our previously scheduled Day 1:

Leaving from our home meant we had to be up and out super early to have time to drop our super cute and wonderful dog, Penny:

off at Ben's parents' before FIL drove us to the airport for our 7 AM flight. We got to their house a little ahead of schedule, and MIL insisted on making us egg sandwiches.
MIL: Want some coffee and breakfast?
ME: No thank you, we'll get something at the airport.
MIL Walks to kitchen.
MIL to BEN: Let me make you some eggs.
BEN: That's ok, Mom.
MIL to FIL: They said they needed to leave at 5:30. It's only 5. I'm making eggs.
Fast forward 5 minutes and we have eggs and coffee in our grubby little hands.
I was antsy to get going, but we had the time and it was nice not to be starving at the airport. Sometime on the way, I received a text from tankgirl427 (Betsy) who was waiting to board her own flight in Boston. We were scheduled to land in MCO pretty close together and hoped to meet up in the terminal.

It didn't take long for us to end up at our gate and not-so-patiently wait to board. I have developed a fear of flying after a near death experience on our flight to Jamaica in April. I distracted myself by taking some pictures.

Ben distracted himself by playing with neck pillows. As a side note, these turned out to be pretty useless. I couldn't use them the way they are supposed to be...

Here I am at my sleep deprived travel day best. You may notice my puffy right eye. I had a reaction to some drops prescribed for conjunctivitis the week before our trip. It sort of became a tired indicator throughout the trip- getting more noticeable the more I needed sleep. Not very attractive, but useful!

That is some part of Florida. We had a very smooth and uneventful flight. I even relaxed enough to play a few hands of gin with Ben. I kicked his butt.

I am 90% sure Ben is not remotely as excited as he looks in this picture. But it is pretty convincing, don't you think?

We got off the plane and headed in search of a cab to take us to Portofino Bay. We didn't get too far before we ran into Betsy and her BF. She recognized Ben first (if you read the PTR, you'll know why!) and we spent a few minutes chatting. It was great to meet a fellow DISer and I am still bummed that I didn't think to get a picture with Betsy.

Our search for a cab ended where you might expect it to... the cab stand.

We hopped aboard and headed off. Never having been to Universal, it was strange to be driving around different parts of Orlando. I kept looking for the Disney landmarks...
Before long, we saw this:

And then quickly ended up at Portofino Bay

The cab fare ended up being about $50, which was a bit more than the $35 the Mears website had 'estimated'. Such would begin one of the ongoing themes of our trip: the sound of a credit card being swiped.

Having got us safely to Portofino Bay, but having it take a lot longer to write this than I ever imagined it would, I must end here for now.
Day 1 will continue soon and we will finally get to the many fires of Universal, and we will finally meet someone 'we'll call Roseanne'.

Last edited by Joyciemc; 09-13-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:59 PM   #8
Stefy
Fantasising of our next DCL & WDW Trip

Wow that is a hefty cab fare, but sounds about right as it cost around that one way to get to US from Disney.

Looking forward to more
Old 09-13-2010, 06:53 PM   #9
mousebymarriage
DIS Veteran

so far so good, can't wait to hear more!
1990(DH & I first trip together-dating) * 1994(DH & I-now married 6 months)
1997(DD first trip 6 months old)and family
1998(DH, Me & DD)and family
1999(DH, Me & DD)and family
2000(DH, Me & DD)and family
2002(DH, Me , DD, DS first trip 7 months old)and family
2003(DH, Me, DD, & DS)and family
2005 April(DH , Me, DD, & DS) * 2005 Oct.(DH & I only)and family/friends Adults only trip
2006(DH, Me, DD, & DS)and family 2011(DH,Me,DD, DS)
2007(DH , Me, DD & DS)and family2012(DH, Me, DD, DS, DD's BFF and 2 Dnephews)
2008(Grand Gathering 17 of us)
2010(DH, Me, DD,DS)
Old 09-13-2010, 06:59 PM   #10
vikkii19
Mouseketeer

loving your TR so far. We're planning on doing Universal and IOA on our next trip so I can't wait to read more.

Me(31) DH(30)DD (2)
Old 09-13-2010, 07:08 PM   #11
JMat
Mouseketeer

Woo-Hoo!! Been waiting all week to start your trip report!! Welcome home and I cant wait to read more...

Exciting pics too, loving checking out all the sights I might steal your LGMH idea!
Old 09-13-2010, 09:42 PM   #12
Melissa79
Mouseketeer

I'm in! Can't wait to read more. I was reading your PTR but didn't complete it until after you left. I have ask, where did you get your wedding dress? If you don't want to say, that's ok. My sister is planning her wedding and she was describing what she'd like her dress to be like and then a few days later I saw your wedding pics...your dress is close to what she described. Anyway, we're practically neighbors so I was wondering if it was a local place. I'm glad you had a good trip, vacation expenses have a habit of growing quickly! Can't wait to hear how you liked staying at the Poly! Maybe a visit to Harry Potter?

~Dec 08 TR~ Never finished because pregnancy got in the way! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2167550
Old 09-13-2010, 09:57 PM   #13
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefordis View Post
Awesome! So glad to read your trip report! I also had a trip that broke the bank, around the same time as yours, both Universal and WDW BUT my trip wasn't much fun. I had a 2 yr old who was very uncooperative, as well as my mom with us who was supposed to help but i ended up with 3 kids instead of 2 (my 6 yr old was with us who is well behaved).

Anyway, I am going to live vicariously through your trip because it sounds like you did all the things I wanted to do!
Oh no, that doesn't sound good at all! Are you writing a trip report, it sounds like it would be an interesting one...

I hope you enjoy the rest of our trip... it isn't always good but it was usually fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousebymarriage View Post
so far so good, can't wait to hear more!
Welcome! Always happy to have new readers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikkii19 View Post
loving your TR so far. We're planning on doing Universal and IOA on our next trip so I can't wait to read more.
I knew almost nothing about those parks before going, so I hope I help you learn a little about them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMat View Post
Woo-Hoo!! Been waiting all week to start your trip report!! Welcome home and I cant wait to read more...

Exciting pics too, loving checking out all the sights I might steal your LGMH idea!
I'm flattered that you've been waiting on my report! I wanted to hurry and start it because I had the day off today and knew it was now or never!

I had a very simple LGMH. And I almost never wore it because I ended up not bringing my SLR camera to the parks... I will plan better next time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvtink1327 View Post
I'm in!!! Can't wait to read more!
Thanks for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven2dc View Post
I love hearing all about Universal even though I'm a WDW fan! I hope we can make it over for one day but not sure which park to visit IoA or Universal. Your hotel room looks so relaxing and huge!
If I had to pick one it would be Universal... I think. But I think that is clouded by our own personal experiences.
I loved our room at Portofino so so much. I also loved the pool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdotla View Post
Love it so far...can't wait for more!
Thanks, I'll try to deliver an update soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa79 View Post
I'm in! Can't wait to read more. I was reading your PTR but didn't complete it until after you left. I have ask, where did you get your wedding dress? If you don't want to say, that's ok. My sister is planning her wedding and she was describing what she'd like her dress to be like and then a few days later I saw your wedding pics...your dress is close to what she described. Anyway, we're practically neighbors so I was wondering if it was a local place. I'm glad you had a good trip, vacation expenses have a habit of growing quickly! Can't wait to hear how you liked staying at the Poly! Maybe a visit to Harry Potter?
Welcome! And thanks for reading the PTR... that thing covers a lot of topics!
I got my dress at Manhattan Bridal in Dedham. It's Alfred Angelo and comes in lots of colors. I loved it so, so much.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:58 AM   #14
ChiCat
DIS Veteran

Your wedding dress was so beautiful!

Subscribing

CBR 9/2011
best trip so far 12/2013
Old 09-14-2010, 07:20 AM   #15
Imagineer5
DIS Veteran

Awesome TR - loving the start at Universal- we're going there for our first time in a few weeks! (Well 16 days to be exact...) Can't wait to read more!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: