Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2010, 08:23 PM   #1
Cherry Limeade
Earning My Ears

We put the crazy in Christmas! Can we outdo the Griswolds on our Christmas Vacation?

Yes, we are going to Disney for Christmas. Was this a dream of mine? Yes.

Before I introduce the cast of characters I should give you the backstory for how this trip came about:

In February of 2009 DH called me from his yearly sales conference to let me know that the sales conference in 2010 would be in Orlando! We're going to Disney World baby!

I immediately started researching and making tentative plans. Just when I was getting ready to start making bookings DH changed jobs. No sales conference, no Disney trip.

Dh knew how crushed I was and wanted to make it up to me with the offering of a trip at Christmas 2010. A dream come true! I started researching and planning again for the dream trip. To sweeten the pot, Dh invited my parents because he knew that my Mom and Dad have always wanted to go to Disney, but have never been!

Thanks to a small miracle we ended up going in January 2010 at the last minute for we called our "preview trip." We had a good time, but it was only 3 days!

I have been lurking here at the DIS, making plans and doing research all that time, but waited to start a PTR until I actually had something to report. I just really was considering all of you, really. I would feel terribly guilty boring DISers to death with a lack of planning updates...

Alright, with all of that said... up next, the cast of characters!

Chapters for your convenience:

Cast of Characters
Touring Books
ADRs
Housing

Autograph Books
T-Shirt Debate and Little Gifts

Unrelated to Planning

The Adventures of Captain Chaos - Confetti Party
The Adventures of Captain Chaos - Powder POOF!

Last edited by Cherry Limeade; 09-06-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Cherry Limeade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
Cherry Limeade
Earning My Ears

The cast:

{a note: I use aliases for my family online, just a family policy that I try to abide by}

Me (I go by Cherry Limeade online) and DH (Party Boy)

I am the Disney nut in the family, DH is my enabler. Oh, how I love that man!

MOTS (Mouth of the South) - age 10

A Disney nut in the making. She listens to The DIS Unplugged podcast and helps me plan. She also never stops talking, which is how she got her nickname.

Hollywood - age 8

She has always loved the Fairies. She also love to wear sunglasses, even inside. Hence, her name.

Captain Chaos - age 2

His name is self-explanatory. He is into everything and has a great sense of humor. Something gets broken every day around here and he's never far away fro the action. He can't wait to go back to Mickey's house!

My Mom

Even though it totally gives away her age, she has always wanted to go to Disney because she was born the year that DisneyLand opened. Well, this is the year and I am beyond excited that I get to share her first trip with her!

My Dad

Totally along for the ride. He's excited, for sure, but not at Mom's level by any means. I mean, she screamed when she found out!

That's my crazy crew. We'll be descending on the World this December. And we're bringing all kinds of crazy with us!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-01-2010, 11:15 AM   #3
Cherry Limeade
Earning My Ears

Okay, so I had posted the pictures and stepped out of the room to go to the bathroom. While in there i am hearing the joyous screams of Captain Chaos from the kitchen.

From experience I know that this is probably not a good thing. I was right.

I walked back into the kitchen to find Captain Chaos standing in a chair at the kitchen table grabbing great big handfuls of rice from the bowl (eating family style) and throwing them in the air.

He looked at me and said, "Yay Mommy! It's a confetti party!" and threw two more handfuls in the air.

There was rice in the window seat, rice on the floor, rice on the table, rice. was. everywhere.

I spent the rest of the night cleaning rice out of every crack and crevice in the room. I guess that'll teach me not to clear the table as soon as dinner is over.

January 27 - February 2, 2010
December 25, 2010 - January 1, 2011

Going back in 2015!
Old 09-01-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
Cherry Limeade
Earning My Ears

Alright, back to the planning madness.

As soon as we got back from our January trip I started planning the December trip. By Goofy, I was determined to be an expert before we went back. Not taht the January trip was bad, but I felt like we missed a lot of the lesser known stuff, you know?

Anway, I started by making some touring books. I got the idea here at the DIS, I think in a PTR, but for the life of me can not remember who it was... My bad.

The cover artwork is all from DISigners (couldn't do it without them! Their work is amazing! I wish I had made better notes on who did what.

Pictures!

Here's the covers of my books - they're little 99¢ photo albums from Target. I printed all of my info out on 4x6 index cards and they just slide right in!

And an example page from inside. I used the maps on the Disney site and took screen shots to include in my books. Since all of the attractions are numbered it made it pretty easy to note what's what. The blurred info came from the Tour Guide Mike site which is why it's blurred. Probably nothing that most of you don't already know, but I did promise not to share...

That's as much as I have printed now. I totally panicked a little when I checked my countdown and it's only 114 days left. That seems so close and I have so much that I want to do!!

Coming up:

ADRs
Flights
Tickets
Obsessing in the DISign forum
Making my planner
T-shirts?
Arts and Crafts Time

Going back in 2015!

Last edited by Cherry Limeade; 09-01-2010 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Adding pics.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
mom0299
DIS Veteran

So, what are your dates and where are you staying? We are going to be there for Christmas too!

Disneymoon @ Dixie Landings - 1993 Family Trip @ CR - 2004 Family Trip @ CSR - 2006 Family Christmas Trip @ All Star Sports - 2006 New Year Grand Gathering @ Pop - 2007/2008 Family Christmas Trip @ CBR - 2010 Family Trip @ POR - 2013
mom0299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:54 PM   #6
Cherry Limeade
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom0299 View Post
So, what are your dates and where are you staying? We are going to be there for Christmas too!
We'll be there 12/25 - 1/1. You know, the absolute busiest week of the year (or so I am told). Hehe. I can't wait to see everything decked out for Christmas. Seriously, it's a sickness.

Going back in 2015!
Old 09-06-2010, 12:42 AM   #7
Cherry Limeade
Earning My Ears

So, it's 30 minutes until Labor Day officially begins in my time zone and I am listening to DISRadio and grinning like a fool because I can hear music from EPCOT come straight out of my computer speakers. I even emailed my Mother about this because she is a Disney Nerd like me. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree and all that.

I'm updating because I made autograph books this weekend. Praise to the awesome team of DISigners over on the Creative DISigns board and their generosity without which none of this would have been possible.

The pics are boring. They're not of me actually making the books. They're not of my kids holding the books. They're pictures of a book on the floor. I am truly sorry for my lack of imagination pre-photo shoot. My bad.

{What's up with the awkward copyright Cherry? Well, I'll tell you. I blog too and I had some pictures copied from my blog and used on another blog, claimed as their pictures. Of my kids. So now, any picture that goes on my blog wears a copyright. You know, because I can.}

Alright so the books are hardly works of art. I printed DoNatalies cards onto 4x6 index cards. I hole punched the cards and put them on binder rings. It's because I scrapbook. I want to disassemble one of these bad boys when we get home and scan them for the scrapbook pages. I scrapbook digitally. Here's a page (relevant even!)

And I made three of these little books. I still have one to go, but the color cartridge in the printer is getting dangerously low and you know how they are. It won't print if it runs out of cyan even if I only want to print with black ink. Can't risk it. So, I'll buy another cartridge or four (after I sign the papers to get the second motgage - dang, that ink is pricey) and finish printing autograph cards. And pressed penny labels. And little treat stuff. The list goes on.

And if you are wondering why I need 4 books when I very obviously only have 3 children, well, the fourth one is for.... (if you guessed me you're wrong) my Mom! I'll have access to three when I get home, but poor Mom wouldn't have any autographs of her own. And now she will. She's very excited to meet the characters.

And apprently I have reached that point in trip planning when everything can be related back to Disney. We were talking about the sky-high price of gold which of course started me on the Fantasyland addition. Someone mentioned a television show and I started in on how we were going to get to see the Main Street Electrical Parade. People's eyes glaze over before I can even start talking now. And my poor Party Boy has started to fake illness to escape hearing all of my Disney minutia and trivia. It's all very sad.

At least I have the DIS. Next up - the great T-Shirt debate.

Going back in 2015!

Last edited by Cherry Limeade; 09-06-2010 at 12:55 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:01 AM   #8
Cherry Limeade
Earning My Ears

More from the Epic Adventures of Captain Chaos -

I gave him a bath last night, cause you gotta get all cleaned up for church son!

I left him in the bathroom wrapped in a towel while I went to track down a night-time diaper.

I cam back and it looked like it had snowed in my bathroom. All you Moms out there know what is coming.

He found the baby powder. He was only trying to help. I think. He looked like a little snowman. He was covered from head to toe in powder. So, I threw him into the shower and rinsed him off and then spent some quality time waiting fo the pwder to settle and then cleaned that up as well.

He doesn't really make messes so much as messes find him! And for the record the pediatrician wasn't concerned. You know when this happened a year ago and all. He doesn't have a history of respitory issues, so I just followed the same instructions from before. Monitor and call if he starts exhibiting any respitory symptoms.

Yeah, my pediatrician loves me. I think he has a secret file of the bizarre calls he's gotten from me.

Going back in 2015!
Old 09-06-2010, 07:06 AM   #9
disneydreamer1970
Loves planning surprise Disney trips!

I'm in! Your PTR looks great! Oh and my little guy had a baby power incident a few months ago...only he sprinkled it all over his bedroom. I don't think any of it made it on himself. That stuff is hard to get off of windows, walls and doors.

I am looking forward to reading more!

Trish

disneydreamer1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:17 AM   #10
Tinkermom76
Gawrsh

Great job getting somewhere to stay free!!!!

I love your autograph books, I'm not creative so I just buy them at the park but Donatalie has great stuff!!

Me (Natalie) DD12 (Eryka) DD9 (Emma)

May 1989 offsite, May 1999 CBR, Feb 2008 Nickelodeon, Dec 2009 CR, Dec 2010 Pop, Oct 2011, Pop, Feb 2012 WL, Sept 2012 POR, Sept 2013 ASM, May 2014 Pop, Nov 2014 CBR
Tinkermom76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:11 AM   #11
DisneyCP08
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. ~W. Disney

all though the one-site perks are great, finding a place to stay for free during Christmas is a great deal. I love the autograph books
Graduation Trip Port Orleans 2006, DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM Spring '08, 1st Disney Cruise- Wonder March 2009, 21st Bday at Disney Saratoga Springs June2009 , Disney College Program Reunion All Star Movies May 2010, CHRISTMAS AT DISNEY Polynesian Resort December 2010 , Spring Break at Disney March '11 at Port Orleans, College Graduation & site visit All Star Sports Aug 2011, Thanksgiving and Wedding Planning Session November 2012, 4th of July 2013,

DisneyCP08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:18 PM   #12
Cherry Limeade
Earning My Ears

The Great T-Shirt Debate

What to do, what to do.

Back in February, when I was suffering from a lack of sunshine and deep-seated hatred of cold weather, the thought of making 7 custom t-shirts for each day of the trip made perfect sense. I mean, really, it's 49 shirts. How bad could it be?

As the trip has drawn nearer I (obviously) started questioning my decision. Just the expense alone made me do a double take, add to that the one-time-wear of so many iron-ons and the cost of ink and the time involved?

So, I waffled. I thought about it. I wondered if the entire trip would hinge on the matching shirts. Could we possibly be happy in Disney World wearing non-matching shirts?

Then I started thinking about the weather. I know December weather in Florida is up in the air, much like here at home. We may be wearing shorts and t-shirts, or we may be bundled up and braving freezing temperatures. There's just no way to know! And how disappointed would I be if all of my hard work was covered in layers in an attempt to stay warm?

So, I think I will hit up the Disney Outlet store and buy each person a couple of shirts. They won't match, but they'll be Disney and can be worn in the park. And if they get covered with a jacket, so be it.

One less thing to worry about.

So, what have I done this morning?

I made pressed penny money tubes:

And I made custom crayon boxes for the kids:

These will go in their travel day gift box. Since we leave so super early on Christmas morning that's what Santa will be bringing. It will also have a coloring book, small toys, snacks, and any other little special things that Santa can find. They get to open that Christmas morning and pack it in their airplane carry-ons.

My mom and dad will be getting a Disney Survival Kit for Christmas. Each will have chap-stick, hand sanitizer, travel size OTC meds, blister band-aids, and other stuff that might come in handy. Mom is also getting the Hidden Mickey handbook, cause I think she'll enjoy that.

I have to go research more Christmas gifts and get started on that shopping. I want to be done before Thanksgiving so I can spend December doing the final prep on Disney without distraction!

Up next - The great flight frustration.

Going back in 2015!
Old 09-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #13
Cherry Limeade
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephielela View Post
subbing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamer1970 View Post
I'm in! Your PTR looks great! Oh and my little guy had a baby power incident a few months ago...only he sprinkled it all over his bedroom. I don't think any of it made it on himself. That stuff is hard to get off of windows, walls and doors.

I am looking forward to reading more!

Trish
Yeah - the powder was a huge mess and I still see some of it in cracks and corners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkermom76 View Post
Great job getting somewhere to stay free!!!!

I love your autograph books, I'm not creative so I just buy them at the park but Donatalie has great stuff!!
Thanks! When I started making these I wasn't sure about the timeline and I didn't want to use valuable park time tracking down albums. This seemed easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCP08 View Post
all though the one-site perks are great, finding a place to stay for free during Christmas is a great deal. I love the autograph books
Thanks on both counts. I couldn't believe our unbelievable luck!

Going back in 2015!
Old 09-06-2010, 10:38 PM   #14
DisneyCP08
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. ~W. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Limeade View Post
The Great T-Shirt Debate

What to do, what to do.

Back in February, when I was suffering from a lack of sunshine and deep-seated hatred of cold weather, the thought of making 7 custom t-shirts for each day of the trip made perfect sense. I mean, really, it's 49 shirts. How bad could it be?

As the trip has drawn nearer I (obviously) started questioning my decision. Just the expense alone made me do a double take, add to that the one-time-wear of so many iron-ons and the cost of ink and the time involved?

So, I waffled. I thought about it. I wondered if the entire trip would hinge on the matching shirts. Could we possibly be happy in Disney World wearing non-matching shirts?

Then I started thinking about the weather. I know December weather in Florida is up in the air, much like here at home. We may be wearing shorts and t-shirts, or we may be bundled up and braving freezing temperatures. There's just no way to know! And how disappointed would I be if all of my hard work was covered in layers in an attempt to stay warm?

So, I think I will hit up the Disney Outlet store and buy each person a couple of shirts. They won't match, but they'll be Disney and can be worn in the park. And if they get covered with a jacket, so be it.

One less thing to worry about.

So, what have I done this morning?

I made pressed penny money tubes:

And I made custom crayon boxes for the kids:

These will go in their travel day gift box. Since we leave so super early on Christmas morning that's what Santa will be bringing. It will also have a coloring book, small toys, snacks, and any other little special things that Santa can find. They get to open that Christmas morning and pack it in their airplane carry-ons.

My mom and dad will be getting a Disney Survival Kit for Christmas. Each will have chap-stick, hand sanitizer, travel size OTC meds, blister band-aids, and other stuff that might come in handy. Mom is also getting the Hidden Mickey handbook, cause I think she'll enjoy that.

I have to go research more Christmas gifts and get started on that shopping. I want to be done before Thanksgiving so I can spend December doing the final prep on Disney without distraction!

Up next - The great flight frustration.
49 shirts is def. alot. I am making a couple sweatshirts and t-shirts. I am hoping I don't wait until the last minute. We are trying to not go too crazy with the gifts, so I already started shopping on our trip in May. Love the crayon boxes.
Graduation Trip Port Orleans 2006, DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM Spring '08, 1st Disney Cruise- Wonder March 2009, 21st Bday at Disney Saratoga Springs June2009 , Disney College Program Reunion All Star Movies May 2010, CHRISTMAS AT DISNEY Polynesian Resort December 2010 , Spring Break at Disney March '11 at Port Orleans, College Graduation & site visit All Star Sports Aug 2011, Thanksgiving and Wedding Planning Session November 2012, 4th of July 2013,

DisneyCP08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:26 AM   #15
TyRy
Part of the problem is I wear my shorts
It is making me nutty

I'm trying to figure out t-shirts right now as well...and with time running out, it may be a Disney Store trip.

Congrats on the free place to stay. I know you wanted to stay onsite, but you can't beat the price of that. I'm sure it'll be great.
Mickey's Hand is Back in my Pocket - A Trippie for Sept/Oct 08 and 1st Trip Home to AKV
Trip of New Phases, Friends & 40 - Sept 09 - CR/AKV
*A Giraffe Meets the Beach - Oct '10 BCV/AKV* *Oct '11 AKV/Poly *1st Birthday Trip and Disney Dream Cruise - Dec '11 AKV* *Oct '12 - 18 days! AKVJ, BWV, AKVK*
*Nov 2013 AKVJ* *Extra May 2014 Trip SSR* *Oct 2014 Trip AKVJ, BLT, AKVJ*
TyRy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: