Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2010, 08:56 AM   #1
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

Talking The AutoTrain, Disney World, and MORE report! Picture-heavy. **Final Update 1/5**

I had started this May 2010 trip report once before, but didn't get the updates quickly enough. Let's try it again, huh?

This was our second trip to Disney World. Our first was in October 2008. In case you hadn't read our Pre-Trip Report, here's a quick run-down of who's who.

Me. Darla. 38 years old. I'm the planner. Or the over-planner, as the case may be.

DH. 40 years old. Doesn't ride much, but goes along with just about anything. It was actually his idea to go back to Disney World, which just about blew me away!

DD 11 years old. She loved Disney World, especially Splash Mountain. Is far too cool for her own good.

Last, but not least, Mom. She's 60 years old. Our 2008 trip was her (and our) first trip to Disney World. She loved everything about it, and it showed.

First actual trip installment coming up immediately.

Installments (if you want to skip any chatter)
Travel Day 1 - Monday, May 10th
Travel Day 1 - Monday, May 10th continued
Travel Day 2 - Tuesday, May 11th
Travel Day 2 - Tuesday, May 11th continued
Travel Day 2 - Tuesday, May 11th continued
Travel Day 3 - Wednesday, May 12th
Travel Day 3 - Wednesday, May 12th continued
Travel Day 4 - Thursday, May 13th
Travel Day 4 - Thursday, May 13th continued
Travel Day 5 - Friday, May 14th
Travel Day 5 - Friday, May 14th continued
Travel Day 6 - Saturday, May 15th
Travel Day 6 - Saturday, May 15th continued
Travel Day 6 - Saturday, May 15th continued
Travel Day 6 - Saturday, May 15th
Travel Day 7 - Sunday, May 16th
Travel Day 7 - Sunday, May 16th, continued
Travel Day 8 - Monday, May 17th
Travel Day 8 - Monday, May 17th, continued
Travel Day 9 - Tuesday, May 18th
Travel Day 9 - Tuesday, May 18th, continued
Travel Day 10 - Wednesday, May 19th
Travel Day 10 - Wednesday, May 19th, continued
Travel Day 11 - Thursday, May 20th
Travel Day 11 - Thursday, May 20th, continued
Travel Day 12 - Friday, May 21st
Travel Day 12 - Friday, May 21st, continued
Travel Day 13 - Saturday, May 22nd

May 2016 Pre-Trip Report <--Also includes a Mini Trip Report of our March 2014 trip to Asheville/Gatlinburg

May 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter Pre-Trip Report and
The AutoTrain, Disney World and More! Trip Report

October 2008 - Caribbean Beach
Pre-Trip Report and Trip Report

Last edited by ddstratton; 01-05-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:59 AM   #2
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

Day 1 -- Monday, May 10th

This little trip report actually starts the day before the trip. This is what we woke up to.

SNOW!!! Not a lot, but enough to show up on the cars! Boy, would we enjoy the Florida weather compared to this!!!

Day 1 -- Monday, May 10, 2010

I got up around 6:00 am. Way before the alarm went off. Apparently, I knew it was the first day of vacation, because I didn't get to bed until after midnight the night before. But since I woke up, I decided to just stay up and start getting ready. I got a shower and got dressed, then played around on the computer and puttered around a bit.

I checked the outside temp -- 26!!! Yikes! No snow like the day before, but still VERY COLD.

DH and DD finally got up and ready. It didn't take much to wake DD up. I just went in her room and whispered that it was finally VACATION and she jumped out of bed. She took care of waking DH up.

DSIS brought Mom down right around 9:00am. We packed the truck and took some pictures. We were all pretty antsy, waiting for time to leave. We weren't supposed to leave until 11:00 am.

Well, we couldn't wait!!! We all loaded into the truck and left the driveway at 9:50 am. This was the temp as we were leaving...

Up next -- Pennsylvania!

May 2016 Pre-Trip Report <--Also includes a Mini Trip Report of our March 2014 trip to Asheville/Gatlinburg

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-25-2010, 09:44 AM   #3
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

I'd love to join in for the fun! Snow in May! Here in Louisiana, our May temps are already in the 80s and 90s.

I look forward to reading all about your Disney adventures.

Lisa

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 08-25-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
I'd love to join in for the fun! Snow in May! Here in Louisiana, our May temps are already in the 80s and 90s.

I look forward to reading all about your Disney adventures.

Lisa
Snow in May was a bit of a surprise. It's happened before, but it's not the norm for us. We're usually comfortably in the mid-70's in May. I was not enjoying the below-freezing weather. At least we were heading someplace warmer!

Old 08-26-2010, 08:59 AM   #5
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

When we left off in the last installment, we were just starting out journey. We entered Pennsylvania at about 10:20 am.

We stopped at the Pennsylvania Welcome Center for a quick potty break. This place is really pretty. It overlooks a dam.

After making use of the facilities, we looked around a bit and took some pictures. We also picked up some brochures. One of the tables had advertisements for a local mall, and they had free chocolate bars!! Full-size chocolate, too. DD and Mom each had one, and said the chocolate was really very tasty.

We drove on through the beautiful state of Pennsylvania until we reached Lewisburg. It's a small town just south of Williamsport. We stopped here for lunch at KFC.

We don't have a KFC nearby. We used to have one in the city about 30 miles from us, but they tore that down to build a new Walgreens. I'm not even sure where the nearest one is now.

It just just after noon when we pulled in. The place was busy, but not horribly so. Mom and DD already knew what they wanted. They had been drooling over those commercials for the Double-Down. Basically, a chicken sandwich without the bun -- using two pieces of chicken in place of the bun, with cheese and bacon in the middle. Mom got the crispy version and DD got the grilled version. Hmm.. I guess I only took a picture of the crispy one.

Mom got just the sandwich, and DD got the meal with fries and a drink.

DH ordered the Grilled Sandwich with potato wedges and a drink. He was eating the sandwich before I could get a picture. The poor boy was hungry!! I do have a pic of the wedges, though.

I had the mashed potato bowl and a drink.

I love this thing. It's actually very good that there is not a KFC nearby. I would be tempted to eat this every day. Major comfort food here -- mashed potatoes, corn, crispy breaded chicken pieces, gravy, cheese all in one nice little bowl. (drooling here)

One funny little thing to happen -- DD had finished her drink and wanted a refill. We were sitting near the soda dispensers and told her to get her own refill. She tried using the puppy-dog eyes on her dad.

He got up and she did the YES arm pump.

This next picture is blurry, but priceless. He went to fill his own drink and left her cup there! :D

Mom and I were dying! Her shock at the fact that her dad didn't do what she wanted was hilarious.

All in all -- the food was tasty, service was pretty quick and the restaurant was not overly crowded. We had a good lunch and were ready to hit the road again! We left KFC at about 12:45 pm.

Up next -- we arrive at our first night's hotel.

Last edited by ddstratton; 09-14-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:50 AM   #6
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

I know it's out of order but I have to comment on your daughter's expression when she realized her dad was filling up his own cup and left her's there on the table! Hillllllarrrious!

Now I'll go back to the first of the update. Pennsylvania looks to be a beautiful State. I've never been there. The rest stop reminds me of the one we stop at in Arkansas.

That double down chicken "sandwich" looks amazingly good. Never tried one despite the fact that we have a KFC nearby.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!

Old 09-03-2010, 08:48 AM   #7
jenniferreich
Mouseketeer

Hi! Thank you so much for your wonderful trip report! I'm enjoying it so much! You're doing an awesome job! My family and I took the autotrain to WDW in September 2009, and it's bringing back so many wonderful memories of our trip. We loved the train ride--just not the 4-hour in terrible traffic drive to get there! (We live near Allentown, PA.) I look forward to the rest of your report and hope you're having a great day! Jennifer
Old 09-03-2010, 01:02 PM   #8
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

I knew I liked you! Corn dog nuggets are my favorite Plus, I think POFQ is my favorite resort!

Did you go to Joes because we always see the ad for them but there's none around??
Old 09-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #9
MomOf2Gals
Earning My Ears

your pictures are great and so is your report.
im getting good ideas for my trip.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:19 PM   #10
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellejed View Post
Love all the pictures It is like taking the trip with you!

Keep the report coming
Thanks! We love lots of pictures, because they let us relive the trip whenever we want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferreich View Post
Hi! Thank you so much for your wonderful trip report! I'm enjoying it so much! You're doing an awesome job! My family and I took the autotrain to WDW in September 2009, and it's bringing back so many wonderful memories of our trip. We loved the train ride--just not the 4-hour in terrible traffic drive to get there! (We live near Allentown, PA.) I look forward to the rest of your report and hope you're having a great day! Jennifer
Yeah, the trip to get to the AutoTrain can be something since we have to go thru/around Washington DC. But the AutoTrain itself is amazing. We just loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post
I knew I liked you! Corn dog nuggets are my favorite Plus, I think POFQ is my favorite resort!

Did you go to Joes because we always see the ad for them but there's none around??
Thanks! Those corn dog nuggets were GREAT. Especially dipped in cheese sauce. Oh, yum. POFQ was just gorgeous. Mom fell in love with it.

Yup, we've seen ads for Joe's but there isn't one anywhere near us. It just looked like a cool place. And it was!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOf2Gals View Post
your pictures are great and so is your report.
im getting good ideas for my trip.
Thanks! Glad to help.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #11
DISNEY CRAZY 69
Mouseketeer

Great trip report and beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:37 PM   #12
merrymouse1
Mouseketeer

All caught up! Loved your report and looking forward to hearing about T-Rex because we are eating there on our first night at Disney in about 72 hours!
Old 11-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #13
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

I have never done one of the DVC tours because I was afraid the salesperson would be too pushy. But, it sounds like your salesguy wasn't too bad.

It looks like ya'll had a good time at Animal Kingdom even though it was so hot that day.

I hate that it's already close to the end of your vacation.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:04 PM   #14
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymouse1 View Post
All caught up! Loved your report and looking forward to hearing about T-Rex because we are eating there on our first night at Disney in about 72 hours!
Ohh --- I'm jealous!! I wanna be back there. Here's a spoiler -- we LOVED it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
I have never done one of the DVC tours because I was afraid the salesperson would be too pushy. But, it sounds like your salesguy wasn't too bad.

It looks like ya'll had a good time at Animal Kingdom even though it was so hot that day.

I hate that it's already close to the end of your vacation.
The salesman did his job -- he tried to sell us on the DVC. We did have to say no a couple of times, but he was really very pleasant about it. The first time we said no, he offered a different payment plan, I believe. We didn't feel overly pressured or anything. And the tour was fun, and quite informative if you are seriously considering buying into DVC.

We did have a good time at AK, despite the heat. We just weren't expecting it to be quite as hot as it was.

Yup, we're coming to the end of this trip. But -- shhh!!! -- we might just have another trip in the works... I do have a 40th birthday coming up next year.....

Old 11-15-2010, 12:27 PM   #15
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

When we last left off, we had just left Animal Kingdom and were heading back to our resort.

DD had left a note for the Mousekeeper, asking for some extra soap. This is what she found when we got back.

We started packing up, took some stuff to the truck and just vegged for a little while. Right around 5:00 pm, we headed down to the boat dock to catch a ferry to Downtown Disney. We had 8:00 pm reservations at T-Rex! DD has looked forward to this meal for AGES.

This is one thing I had wanted to do that we never got around to.

We wandered around Downtown Disney a little bit.

Cinderella obviously isn’t DD’s favorite character. I think she’s still mad at Cindy for having her picture taken with her Dad on our last trip.

It was still fairly early – not quite 6:00 pm. We went over to T-Rex and went inside to let DD do the Build-A-Dino. We were going to let her do 2 – one from us and one from Grandma. However, she only wanted to do one. So she built one and got extra clothes to go with it. Smart kid.

She ended up with the Build A Dino, Flip Flops, a T-shirt & pants, and a sweatshirt. Total cost was $43.67.

I'm gonna cut off here, as there are so many pictures. I'll have another update very shortly.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: