Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
Figment632
DIS Veteran

Kodak is gone from the Imagination Pavilion.

All traces of Kodak are being removed from the JII pavilion and any mention of Kodak has been removed from the park maps. It was obvious that Kodak’s sponsorship was at an end when EO reopened and there was no mention of Kodak. Also most of Image works has been walled off the only thing open are the Figment music stands and the gift shop area.

Photos courtesy of Imagineer2017 of clubd23.com

Old 08-24-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
nytimez
Nihilist

Hardly surprising since Kodak isn't much of a company anymore. They may never stop the bleeding at this point.

Kodak continues to suffer big losses
Register to remove

Old 08-24-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
Figment632
DIS Veteran

That leaves GM ans the only original EPCOT Center sponsor. IMO I think corporate sponsorship of pavilions is going the way of the dinosaur.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:09 AM   #4
CandyMandy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytimez View Post
Hardly surprising since Kodak isn't much of a company anymore.

CandyMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytimez View Post
Hardly surprising since Kodak isn't much of a company anymore. They may never stop the bleeding at this point.

Kodak continues to suffer big losses
Kodak is going to go down as one of the best examples of a company who was unable (unwilling??) to adapt to new tech.

When you build your company around film and processing...and then see that those two products are going to be obsolete...perhaps it's best not to prolong the inevitable (Advantix!), but find a way to join the new market and invest in some R&D.

Their inkjet printers are not remotely the best value on the market. They continue to make good professional photo printers (and their "self serve" kiosks are also pretty good), but even those are being pushed aside by competitors offering better value in terms of buy in cost and maintenance.

EVERYONE saw the writing on the wall, back in the mid 90's. Eventually, digital was going to beat out film. Capacity, quality, etc were all growing at a pace that everyone in that industry could trend out and tell the future. Consumer buy in was huge, even early on. Pros were slower to adopt, but even they started to get on board when Nikon brought out their D series. Kodak seems like they were the only ones who couldn't (or wouldn't) change course.

Fuji (the second biggest producer of Film and provider of film processing) was able to do it with only a few hiccups in their business model. They all but abandoned the imaging solutions division and invested heavily in Electronic imaging. The economy is hitting them (like everyone else) but the company, at least, looks stable.

It's sad to see how far Kodak has fallen.....

Last edited by pilferk; 08-25-2010 at 10:48 AM.
pilferk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:45 AM   #6
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

Kodak signs still up in JII. Kodak is still on the park maps and the picture spots still have Kodak on them.
safetymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:13 AM   #7
BamaEd1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetymom View Post
Kodak signs still up in JII. Kodak is still on the park maps and the picture spots still have Kodak on them.
As far as the maps go, maybe they are just using the ones that are in the pipeline and gearing up to reprint minus Kodak. The signage would have to be reprinted without the logo which would take time and money (of course). Those may be there for a while.

I'm hoping for a good sponsor for the Imagination Pavilion. Of all of the EPCOT pavillions, that one has the most potential to me. Sombody like Apple Microsoft, or some other cutting edge type company could go nuts in there. Of course, if I were one of them, I wouldn't write one check until I saw some blue-prints for a MAJOR refurb of the entire thing.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:58 AM   #8
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaEd1 View Post
I'm hoping for a good sponsor for the Imagination Pavilion. Of all of the EPCOT pavillions, that one has the most potential to me. Sombody like Apple Microsoft, or some other cutting edge type company could go nuts in there. Of course, if I were one of them, I wouldn't write one check until I saw some blue-prints for a MAJOR refurb of the entire thing.
\

I agree...it needs a REAL refurb (and not the shorehorn type ones they've tried previously.

I'd love to see them get Phineas and Ferb worked in there...though that might be counter to the whole Epcot vibe. But they have to do SOMETHING. The current attraction is not interesting to anyone. Too tame for teens. Too boring for the kiddies. Not nostagic or educational enough for the adults.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:27 AM   #9
Figment632
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetymom View Post
They are being removed as you typed this.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:47 AM   #10
yitbos96bb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment632 View Post
They are being removed as you typed this.
Obviously the sponsorship deal is still in effect to some capacity. Disney is not known to give ANYTHING free to anyone, including advertisers. Deals like this just don't end with no notice. In any type of contract like this written by even a semi competent lawyer would require notification. Unless an agreement is reached (and it is entirely possible that one has been), DIsney could not remove signs, logos, etc that are agreed upon in said contract until the deal had expired.

However, I do question the total validity of this rumor. Ignoring the signs still up at JII and logos on the maps, Kodak has had a relationship with Disney for 55 years. Given the plethora of articles about venerable companies and hard times, the 24 hour news cycle and transparency laws for public companies, if this were true, the business press would have picked up on it IF Kodak was severing all ties with Disney... Just like it was news when Disney and McDonald's seperated, when several companies stopped sponsoring NASCAR over the last year or two, etc. Not saying its Front page news, but a google search would turn up some articles on the subject if true.

I do think its entirely possible they will still end sponsorship of JII (and may already have although until the signs come down, they are still contractual sponsors of the attraction), I do not believe that there sponsorship of the maps has ended at this time. The evidence disputes the claim.

Now, I'm not saying it couldn't eventually happen. In fact given the $.50 per share loss reported a month ago in their earnings report, its entirely possible. And it is entirely possible they waited a day after Disney's earnings report to give notice. But you jump the gun reporting things as fact when no proof of it exists. Call it a rumor.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:17 PM   #11
CandyMandy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilferk View Post
When you build your company around film and processing...and then see that those two products are going to be obsolete...perhaps it's best not to prolong the inevitable (Advantix!)
Re: Advantix - to be fair to Kodak, they weren't the sole film company behind the introduction and promotion of the APS (Advanced Photo System) film format and in what may come as surprise to many isn't extinct.

Fuji, Agfa and Konica were into APS big time and all of the major camera manunfacturers (including Nikon, Minolta and Canon) were on that bandwagon, some even producing APS SLRs (example below).

And to this date APS film is still being produced and sold by Kodak and Fuji, since an installed base of active users remains. Which probably explains why my local CVS still has on site equipment to develop APS film and will do that in one hour!

Last edited by CandyMandy; 08-30-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:03 PM   #12
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyMandy View Post
Re: Advantix - to be fair to Kodak, they weren't the sole film company behind the introduction and promotion of the APS (Advanced Photo System) film format and in what may come as surprise to many it isn't extinct.

Fuji, Agfa and Konica were into APS big time and all of the major camera manunfacturers (including Nikon, Minolta and Canon) were on that bandwagon, some even producing APS SLRs (example below).

And to this date APS film is still being produced and sold by Kodak and Fuji, since an installed base of active users remains. Which probably explains why my local CVS still has on site equipment to develop APS film and will do that in one hour!

They weren't the only company to get on board.

They were the only company staking their future on the investment in the tech, though. It was a foolish gambit...not just in hindsight, but when they launched.

All the other companies pretty much took advantix/aps as what it was: A stopgap til the digital revolution took over the mass market. And it did that pretty well...offered some of the benefits of digital, while still using film at a time when digital storage media was still pricey. I remember buying a 1GB IBM smartdrive for close to 200 bucks for my Canon Pro-90 IS....so I could take more than 30 pictures to a card at max resolution.

Not Kodak, though. They continued to invest significant R&D money into the tech, and pretty much buried their head in the sand when it came to digital tech and printing. They pushed their Advantix line of cameras, while they were selling (but not marketing very well) some VERY good (the DC260 for example) point and shoot digital cameras. It made no sense, and they're paying for it now, big time. It was a blunder at least as bad as "New Coke" and, it looks like, harder to recover from. I would not be surprised to see Kodak fold, which will be incredibly sad. And if they don't...I just can't see them ever reclaiming the market they had, once. Things have gotten better over the last 5-ish years, but they're trying to play catch up in both market share and market recognition. That's a big, uphill battle.

You're lucky, on the local CVS front. Most of the "labs" (and they aren't really that, anymore...they're printing stations) have converted over to digital, and all film processing gets done via outlab. I know CVS and Walgreens both have said they're going to sunset inlab film processing, and they don't replace "old" or broken machines anymore. They just bring in a new printer. It's cheaper. Walmart has, as far as I know, almost completely converted out of processing. Ditto on Target.

And even considering all that, both Fuji and Kodak's outlab volume continues to decrease. You'd think, since so many of the local places that used to process film have shut that piece of the operation down...they'd at least see some uptick in volume. Not so. There are just fewer and fewer people using film out there, now..unless it's something really specialized like medium format for portraits or old 120 film used for "artistic" purposes in a Brownie.

Last edited by pilferk; 08-30-2010 at 01:15 PM.
pilferk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:25 PM   #13
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

advantix reminds me of all the stupid things i got ripped off on in college....

mostly i blame yuengling...but fast times and fast women also share some of the blame....i have 1%
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:16 PM   #14
CandyMandy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilferk View Post
There are just fewer and fewer people using film out there, now..unless it's something really specialized like medium format for portraits or old 120 film used for "artistic" purposes in a Brownie.
Actually, the "sleeper" element that is keeping the film business alive and well is the "disposable/one-time-use" (or to be more fashionable, now "recyclable") camera market.

Anyone reading this knows that despite the profusion of portable digitial imaging devices (read: just about every handheld out there now) you still find those ubiquitous Fuji Quicksnaps and Kodak Funsavers in the checkout line racks at just about any major retailer.

Why?

The desire in the mass market for a simple, turnkey way to get a physical print.

And in that mass market every other method of getting a print is still a #(&@!* hassle. Home printing is not the panacea promised (the cost adds up and the printers never work flawlesly) and not everyone enjoys the tedium of uploading stuff for printing to Walgreens or sitting at a kiosk there trying to get their SD card to be read properly. The disposable is often cheaper and always simpler, which is why -- despite its serious technical limitations --it shows no signs of disappearing.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:00 PM   #15
mgpan
Mouseketeer

Unhappy Wall Disney World

Perhaps when they take these and all the other current construction/rehab walls and MK Main Street printed tarp overlays down they can use them to construct a maze attraction in the old Wonders of Life Building. Seriously, I'm wondering if when we go in October we should put a gallon of paint and some paint brushes in the stroller and see if they have a new attraction where you get to paint walls like Tom Sawyer's friends.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: