Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2010, 09:57 PM   #1
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Our Disneymoon PTR + Wedding TR w/ pics - I'm back! (TR link and POP review 9/7)

Welcome to my first ever pre-trip report!!

“Hi, my name is Mel, and I’m a Disney-holic” (Ron is an addict too It’s so nice to share this passion with the man I love. )

Our addiction started last year, on our first family trip to WDW. (Me, DH and DD10) I swear they must put some kind of drug in their water because we can’t stop talking about it ever since!!! We haven’t had our fix of the Disney drug since that trip in August 2009 and have the shakes. We need all of you Disers to help us in our addiction. How can you help, you say? By helping us plan our honeymoon to Disney in August 2011.

The Cast:

I’m Mel, 29, and Ron, 36, is my lovely fiancé, who will be my husband by the time of this trip. I will refer to him as DH. He has a daughter (DD, 11), but she won’t be coming with us for this trip. She will, however, be joining us for our destination wedding. More on that later.

We are addicted to Disney World, visit the Disboard, listen to Podcast, talk about it every single week (dare I say almost every single day?) and plan hypothetical trip after hypothetical trip (what would we do if we won the lottery? Which DVC would we buy? At what age should we bring our future kids for the first time? What if we go during F & W? What ride will we go on first? It goes on, and on, and on... ). I love Stitch and have wanted to adopt him ever since I saw the first movie. One of the highlight of our trip last year was meeting and hugging Stitch. I’ve also developed a love for everything Tinkerbell. Ron loves the thrill rides the best, but really enjoyed everything on our trip. He is very excited that the new Star Tour will be opened by the time we go.

Some background info:

All three of us had been to WDW before, but separately (fiancé and I both as kids, and his daughter with the grandparents). We also had never stayed on site. We were not even suppose to stay on site that trip either, as his parents were travelling there too and have a time-share in Orlando, but when free dining came out we switched things up a bit. We were too slow to get our first choice of ASmovies, but that turned out to be a blessing in disguise as we ended up at the amazing Caribbean Beach Resort!!! (I can include a mini trip report of that week here if you guys want.) Unfortunately for our addicted selves, we knew we would not be able to afford another trip for a few years, especially since we wanted to start a family soon.

Links to my PTR chapters:
How the trip was born
Dates & Resort
The food
What to do in Epcot
What to do at Hollywood Studios
What to do at Animal Kingdom
Some questions about food
A Disney survey

The most magical gift!
What to do at Magic Kingdom
Tentative schedule for the trip
ADRs booked!
Change of ADR
Annual Passes?
We got a PIN!
Vacation extended!!
Another change of ADRs
Arrival day plans
New schedule
Problem with the schedule?
Schedule version 567-c
Final? ADRs
Day 1 plans - First full day at the park
Day 2 plans - Hollywood Studios
Need help choosing CS
Day 3 plans - Typhoon Lagoon
Day 4 Plans - Magic Kingdom with evening EMH
Day 5 Plans - A stroll through World Showcase
Day 6 & 7 Plans - More Hollywood Studios & Blizzard Beach
Day 8 & 9 Plans - 2nd day at Epcot & 2nd day at Animal Kingdom
Clothes!
Days 10 - 14 Plans

*I have also started a trip report for my August 2009 trip in this thread. You can find the first post here: Mega Waves, Date Night and Fast Pass baby!!
Day 1 - Bad buffet and nice outlets
Day 2 - Magical Kingdom?

Day 2 - saltiest fries EVER!
Day 3 - "Yes, Stitch, it really is you"
Day 3 continued - DisneyQuest, Crystal Palace and Wishes
Day 4 - Blizzard Beach
Day 4 continued - A meltdown at Epcot
Day 5 - A big Mistake and a go with the flow day
Day 6 - Our couple's day, starting with Epcot
Day 6 continued - Mega Waves at Typhoon Lagoon
Day 6 continued - Lightnings on our date night
Day 7 - If I were a toy...
Day 7 continued - LAST DAY
Some Favorites
More Favorites
Last or our Favorites

*For wedding info go to these posts :
Hotel, invitations and shoes
Wedding bands

Disney Registry
Disney Registry Update
A Quote a Day Keeps the Doctor Away
So much to do, so little time
Some wedding purchases
More wedding purchases
Sand Ceremony testing
A few makeup trial and bachelorette pictures
Update sand ceremony
Bachelorette pictures!

Paradise does exist, I got married there! - Wedding trip report:
Day 1 - Leaving for Cuba
Day 2 - Sunday May 1st - A busy morning and relaxing, finally
Day 3 - Monday May 2nd - A day of fun in the sun
Day 4 - Tuesday May 3rd - Catamaran Trip Part 1, snorkeling
Day 4 - Tuesday May 3rd - Catamaran Trip Part 2, swimming with dolphins
Day 5 - Wednesday May 4th - Wedding Day Part 1, Getting Ready
Day 5 - Wednesday May 4th - Wedding Day Part 2, Ceremony
Day 5 - Wednesday May 4th - Wedding Day Part 2, Ceremony Cont'd
Day 5 - Wednesday May 4th - Wedding Day Part 3, Picture Time
Day 5 - Wednesday May 4th - Wedding Day Part 4, Pool Time
Day 5 - Wednesday May 4th - Wedding Day Part 5 - Wedding Dinner
Day 5 - Wednesday May 4th - Wedding Day Part 6 - Disco Time!
Day 6 - Thursday May 5th - A Real Relaxing Day, and Sunset!
Day 7 - Friday May 6th - Trash the Dress (Beach)
Day 7 - Friday May 6th - Trash the Dress part 2 (pool)
Day 7 - Friday May 6th (part 3) - Last time at the beach
Day 7 - Friday May 6th (part 4) - A Sad Evening
Day 8 - Saturday May 7th - Going Home
Extra Pictures
Extra Pictures (part 2)
Photoshoot with my Mom

Last edited by ronnmel; 09-07-2011 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Updated links
ronnmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

So, how this trip was born then?

How this trip was born:

Soon after we came back from our trip, we started talking about getting married (have to admit I kind of hope he would propose AT Disney, but guess he wasn’t ready yet), and more specifically having a destination wedding on a real Caribbean island. We have both been married before, and thus didn’t want the big ceremony here. We preferred to have only our closest family and friends to join us for a week of fun in paradise. It had always been my dream to get married on a beach. We told our parents about our plans, but asked them to keep it to themselves as it wasn’t official yet. So of course Ron’s mom called us 2 days later asking her if we knew the date yet because his aunts and uncles wanted to know how much money they had to save! Gotta love her.

The Proposal:

On Christmas Eve, after his daughter went to bed, we put all the little gifts in the stockings (we had one each). I went to bed and he said he would join me in a few minutes as he was checking something on the computer. I thought nothing of it. The following morning, after only a few hours of sleep, his daughter woke us up. We cooked breakfast and then went to the living room to open our presents. I opened all of mine, and then it was Ron’s turn. Some cello paper was sticking out of his stocking and I was very impatient for him to open that present because it was a candy apple. He had been craving one since our trip to Disney and could not find one anywhere. Unfortunately for my impatient self, he ignored that present and was searching for something else hiding inside. He then pulls out this tiny brown box. I was so confused, as I did not remember putting it there. Suddenly it hits me. It is THE box! I immediately start tearing up as he goes down on one knee, opens the box and says “Last year you gave me the best present possible by choosing to be with me. The only way you can top it this year is by choosing to be with me forever. Will you marry me?” I said YES!!

Fast forward a few months later. We both don’t make lots of money, and the wedding will be set where lots of people honeymoon, so it was decided that it would be a combine wedding/honeymoon trip. Well, as much of a honeymoon as you can have with 20 of your closest friends and family members around... and an 11 yo in the room! As a way to save money, and because we have several guests who are quite good photograph, we were not going to hire a professional photograph. But then we visited a wedding expo and I fell in love with the fun and colourful style of this one woman. I did some number crunching, and convinced myself that I could save up an extra 3000$ to bring her along with us. Several people talked some sense into me, and I eventually decided against it. But hey, if I can save up 3000$ for a photograph, you know what else I can save it for? A trip to DISNEY!!! I talked about this new possibility too much to my future DH that we both finally agreed to do it. Yay!! We’re gonna have a real honeymoon after all.

Last edited by ronnmel; 01-06-2011 at 09:54 PM. Reason: typo
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-16-2010, 03:16 PM   #3
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Dates & Resort

The Dates:

I’m a teacher, so we can only go during the summer (and other busy and expensive times). That means that our honeymoon will be 3 months after our wedding (which will be in May, in Cuba. I can include our planning for that too if there is an interest).

At first we were only going to go one week. That idea was quickly crushed. Last year we had 6 days in the park and we would have needed more. We had time to do all our must-dos, but only once. Plus, while it is so expensive to fly there, it is quite inexpensive to stay extra days, so let’s stay 9 nights. Well, we were looking at what flights *might* cost, and it seems that the best day to fly out is Wednesday, meaning we’d be back on a Friday. Humm, adding an extra night wouldn’t cost an extra vacation day, so let’s add that. What is it you say? Since we’re already adding one night, why not add two? DONE!!

So we should be leaving Wed. August 10, 2011 and coming back on Sun. August 21, 2011. Also, we have pretty much decided on getting the slightly more expensive but oh so great direct flight with a great schedule, so Yay for that! We should be able to book it this fall.

The Resort:

We’d love to go to Port Orleans French Quarter as it looks quite romantic, but it’s too much money. Unless we somehow get an amazing deal, Pop Century here we come!

Well, that’s it for introductions. Wow, didn’t think I would write that much. Can’t wait to be there!!! Hope you enjoy this pre trip report. Let me know how I can make it better.

Next time I’ll write about what we hope to accomplish during our trip.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
NikkiLovesWDW!
"Are you seeing an increase in lateral forces?" "Sure am!"

Hi Mel! I followed you over from my TR!

You guys are so cute and I love hearing your back-story! Definitely post about your wedding plans AND about your last trip!!

As for your plans so far....they sound great!! I LOVE how you convinced yourself to stay all those extra days! I really hope that a good deal comes out for you guys because I would LOVE for you to upgrade to POR or POFQ. Would you do it if you got a 30% off deal? I'm going to have you convinced by the time you go! It's your honeymoon!

Oh also, did you register for your disney honeymoon? I don't remember the exact website (just google it) but we did it thinking if we got even $100 we'd be glad, but we ended up getting almost $1000 on a gift card to spend how we wanted! It was awesome! Definitely think about doing it.

Great job, so far! Can't wait to hear more!
NikkiLovesWDW! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:45 PM   #5
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Yay! My first reader! Thanks for coming over from your trip report Nikki.

I really don't know what it would take to convince us to go to POFQ. As great as the resort looks, we are already hoping for a good discount to offset the cost of staying that many extra days.

I thought about registering for Disney money, but we are not registering anywhere at all. Because we are asking our guests to shell out over 1500$ per person to come to Cuba with us, we don't want a gift on top of it. If some want to give us money, we'll appreciate it and most probably use it for Disney, but we don't want people to think we expect gifts.

The Food:

Last year we were lucky and had the regular dining plan. We ate at Tokyo Dining, Tutto Italia, Crystal Palace (with Winnie and friends), Ohana (Breakfast with Stitch), Planet Hollywood and Narcoossee’s.

Ron's Surf & Turf at Narcossee's

This year we’ve decided to mostly stick to CS to save money and because we want to be more free of where we can go and when. We might change our minds, though at this point it is unlikely.

We WILL go to two table service. Possibly our first night, Ron wants to have dinner at Ohana. He is a big meat lover. I’m big on character meals, so I want to try the Safari Breakfast with Donald. My hope is to eat very early to be done by the time the park opens.

For CS, we hope to try out Pecos Bill, Cosmic Rays, Yak & Yeti CS, the new Mexican place, Sunshine Season, POP’s food court, Wolfgang Puck Express, Yakitori House. Any other suggestions?

Our general plans:

We hope to hit Magic Kingdom and Epcot two days each, one day each at DHS and AK, plus one evening EMH at AK (heard it can be quite romantic). One day at each of the water park, though could possibly hit Typhoon Lagoon a second time. The rest of the time will be spent at DTD (including Disneyquest as Ron loves it), our resort pool, and going back to any park we want to visit again.

We will TRY not to get Park Hoppers and save the money for possibly an extra TS meal or drinks. We are rope drop kinda people. We may or may not take a break during the afternoon, depending on how long we plan to stay at each park and how we feel.

Our style is to be very commando during the morning, going on as many attractions as possible. Once we’ve hit all our must-dos, then we slow down and “wing it” the rest of the day with our list of B attractions.

Of course hours for next year are not out yet, but last week just for fun we decided to plan what are week would look like if we were leaving the same days this year. Here’s what we came up with:

Hypothetical Plans
*Wed. Aug 11 – Arrive at MCO. Take ME to POP Century. Swim in the resort pool until room is ready. Eat dinner at Ohana. Watch Wishes from the Poly beach.
Thu. Aug. 12 – Epcot and stay for evening EMH. Possible break during the day.
Fri. Aug. 13 – Blizzard Beach. Evening opened.
Sat. Aug. 14 – Hollywood Studios. We do not wish to see Fantasmic again, so we chose a day with no shows and no EMH for lowest crowds possible.
Sun. Aug 15 – Magic Kingdom and stay for evening EMH. Break during the day.
*Mon. Aug 16 – Sleep in, enjoy the resort pool, then go to AK for evening EMH.
Tue. Aug. 17 – Safari Breakfast with Donald, then AK. DTD in the evening.
Wed. Aug 18 – Magic Kingdom.
Thu. Aug 19 – Typhoon Lagoon. Evening opened.
Fri. Aug. 20 – Epcot.
Sat. Aug. 21 – Opened to do what we feel like.
*Our evenings of the 16 and the 20 are interchangeable, depending on ADRs.

Last edited by ronnmel; 08-20-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #6
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Epcot

We want to spend two days in Epcot, including possibly one evening EMH. Both mornings we will rush to do the popular rides, hopefully several times. In the afternoons and evenings we will slow down and explore more in depth Future World (one day) and stroll around World Showcase (other day plus both evenings). We'll try to squeaze in a few more rides at the end of the night using FP collected earlier.

Things HAVE to do in Epcot:
Soarin'
Test Track
Spaceship Earth - MANY times (we just LOVE this ride, both the relaxing part, and the hilarious little video at the end)
Mission Space - I am prone to motion sickness, but I know DH really wants to try the Orange side. he is willing to do it by himself, but would much prefer I try with him. I said I *MAY* try, but only as our very last ride of the night. That way if I feel sick I can just go to bed and sleep it off. He's even willing to sleep in the next day if I need more time to recuperate.
Innoventions - we want to spend more time there, explore all the little activities, redo the Piggy Bank Adventure (well, he missed it last time because he was gone getting FP for TT), and of course try Sum of All Thrills!
Kim Possible - HUGE fan of this. We loved it so much last time (did Mexico, China and Japan) that we want to do as MANY countries as possible.
Illuminations - DH's favorite night time show

Things we would like to try again:
Maelstrom
Gran Fiesta - yes I enjoyed that ride, it was very cute. Only if there is no line though.
The Seas - We love walking around the Seas pavillion, and the ride is cute (we'll skip the ride part if there is a line though)

Things we want to try for the first time:
World Showcase - We really want to explore the countries more in depth, as last time we just kind of walked through, except for the ones where we did Kim Possible. I'm especially excited to explore Morocco
Drinking around WS - Ok, so I'm really not a big drinker and will probably limit myself to the Frozen Margarita and Grey Goose slushie. I will have a few sip of whatever DH plans to drink though.
Ellen's Adventure of Energy - I know it's not a big ride, but it looks interesting enough, and good for a place to relax mid-day.
Captain EO????? - I don't have much interest in this, but DH said he might want to check it out.

We also want to possibly spend more time tin the after section of TT and MS and play with the games they have there.

Any other suggestions? Things we shouldn't miss?

I know this post doesn't have any picture, so here's a silly one of me to make you laugh.

Last edited by ronnmel; 08-20-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:34 AM   #7
Shaniyah
Mouseketeer

I am joining late but am all caught up on your PTR/TR/wedding report!! Can't wait to read more!

[/URL] Tink's first trip to the mainland May 2011 TR Tink's first trip to the main land PTR

(me) (bf) dd(7)
Disney Trips: 1996 Music/ 1997 Sports/ 1998 Sports/
May 2011 CSR FEB 2012 AS Sports July 2013 AAU primary track and field competition
Shaniyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:02 AM   #8
DsnyMama
DIS Veteran

How awesome!! We honeymooned at WDW too!!

Up Next: October2014
Feb 2014 TR - click HERE
DsnyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:20 AM   #9
NikkiLovesWDW!
"Are you seeing an increase in lateral forces?" "Sure am!"

Beautiful rings Mel! Glad you were able to get it all worked out and get what you wanted!! Hope you guys had a Merry Christmas!
NikkiLovesWDW! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:22 AM   #10
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

What beautiful rings! I hate that you had to go through so much to get what you wanted but they are so pretty!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:26 PM   #11
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaniyah View Post
I am joining late but am all caught up on your PTR/TR/wedding report!! Can't wait to read more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DsnyMama View Post
How awesome!! We honeymooned at WDW too!!
Welcome Shaniyah and DsnyMama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiLovesWDW! View Post
Beautiful rings Mel! Glad you were able to get it all worked out and get what you wanted!! Hope you guys had a Merry Christmas!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
What beautiful rings! I hate that you had to go through so much to get what you wanted but they are so pretty!
Thanks Nikki and Lisa! Yes, we did have a wonderful Christmas. We got so spoiled this year! My mom bought us a Wii!!

Hope you guys all had a great Christmas too.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: