Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

Candy Cane Inn Review with Pictures

We have always stayed at least a mile from the parks which meant we had to drive and park. If you go first thing in the morning, parking isn't bad and the tram isn't usually full yet. However, if you want to go back to the hotel for an afternoon nap you have to give up your close parking space and probably get directed in to the parking garage when you return. For this reason, we never left for a nap but we also didn't have the energy to stay for evening shows. I've heard good things about the Candy Cane Inn so we decided to give it a try this trip.

We made online reservations for our Aug 1st trip back in April or May. I can't remember exactly when. We looked at the end of July but discovered the rate was cheaper in August. We also got a AAA discount. When checking out we recieved a coupon worth $10 off a night after the AAA discount on our next trip within a year.

Candy Cane Inn calls it self a "boutique hotel". It is a two story building with doors on an outside hall. I would normally call this style of accomodations a "motel" as I think of "hotels" as one large building with inside hallways. But clearly they have done their best to make the property looked beautiful.

A basket full of Candy Canes is kept stocked in the lobby next to the free coffee.

The property is very pretty and filled with vines, trees, and flowers. The parking lot is cobblestone, a step up from ordinary blacktop.

Outside the lobby.

Our room door. We were on the first floor and able to park right in front of our door. Unloading and loading was a snap!

We had a deluxe room with two queen beds for our two DS17s and my husband and I. They were pretty comfortable and I'm picky about beds so that's saying something.

The wardrobe contains the flat screen tv, the safe, and some drawers and shelves for clothing. The safe is small and flat. It is too small for a laptop, but we kept our car keys and small electronic devices in it during the day. It was easy to lock and open. You can also see the small table and two chairs next to the wardrob. These ended up piled with all our belonging. Not pretty, but it gave us room to walk around.

The sink is outside the bathroom. Two sinks would have been nice because all four of us had to take turns using it to get ready. Just to the left of the counter, in the wall, is a small refrigerator which we used to keep our water bottles cold. Also to the left of the sink area is a closet.

The shower/tub and toilet is to the right of the sink. It is a small room but big enough for us to get dressed in. We were also supplied with the correct number of towel sets. So often in hotels, they only give you two sets of towels even when you tell theme there are 4 people in the room. I hate having to call the front desk late at night and wait for towels, so this was a small detail that I appreciated.

We called this The Endless Hallway. This view is looking from our room at the back of the property towards the front. After a long day at the park, this felt like a long walk.

Continued in my next post...

Last edited by PinkBudgie; 08-14-2010 at 12:49 PM.
PinkBudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
PinkBudgie

The pool is located in the center of the property just behind the front desk. We didn't use it as we were either at DLR or crashing on our beds from exhaustion. There is also a hot tub under the gazebo.

This is also where they serve their free breakfast every morning. There is a room behind the front desk that has most of the food choices and some tables. Outside was cereal, more coffee, and plenty of seating. Some of the choices offered were several types of bagels with two flavors of cream cheese, donuts, muffins, cereal, yogurt, and fruit. To drink they offered milk, coffee, hot chocolate, juice, and tea. We weren't thrilled with the coffee. It was too weak for us, we like dark. My solution was to get a cup filled with half hot chocolate and half coffee. I was able to get some caffine and it greatly improved the taste.

There are also bathrooms available to use just in case you need to hit the restroom one last time after breakfast before heading to the parks. They also had a small gift shop.

The walk to DLR couldn't be easier. (Ok, it could, but that would involve cutting a hole in the fence between CCI and DCA. ) Walk down the parking lot and turn left. About a 5 to 7 minute walk for us at a good pace. You enter the parks at the first bus drop off place.

Walking back to CCI you pass through bus drop off until you get to the street.

When entering the DLR security, head towards the tent on the left. Just about everyone goes to the one on the right because it is more noticable and a little closer. However, the left one never had much of a line.

Candy Cane Inn also offers a free shuttle to and from the parks every half hour.

We only used this once when it was ready to leave as we were going to walk back to the park after a nap. We found that we would rather just walk instead of waiting for the bus schedule. Walking was faster for us. It also drops you off at the farthest bus drop off area, not the first one you enter when walking. If you have small children or trouble walking the shuttle is a great option.

If you turn right when leaving the parking lot, you find a ABC Market (which seemed to be mostly souvenirs- we didn't go in) and a 7-11. We ran out of bottled water and picked up a small pack there to hold us through the end of the trip. Very handy and an easy walk.

Just behind the CCI you can see construction on Carsland progressing. Not sure how much you will see once it is finished but I could see the top of some sort of building.

2013 Update: Well we now know that this is the mountain range for Carsland. Guess this pic is now a piece of history. When outside we could hear the cars from the ride. I've never been in a room at the back so I can't say if you can hear it from inside. We never heard any ride noise from our rooms on the sides.

CCI also offers free wi-fi. We decided not to use it with our laptop, but we got on with our itouches. The first night I couldn't get it work, the next days it did. I was able to check email and look up a few things on the internet so it worked decently for what I needed to do.
2013 Update: We have found the wifi to be much improved since I first wrote this. We now always use our laptop and have no trouble checking websites and email. You must log in every 24 hours, but it is still free.

We stayed at the Candy Cane Inn for 5 nights. We arrived around 2, about an hour before check in time but our room was ready. On our check out day, they allowed us to leave our car packed and ready to go in their parking lot while we went to the park for one last half day. Check out was at 11am, but I believe it is 3pm for the premium rooms.

We found the staff to be friendly and helpful, the rooms clean, and the location ideal. We enjoyed our stay and plan to return. Besides a secret entrance to DCA, the only thing I would change is two sinks in each room and better coffee.

New additions to the breakfast in 2013:

Hard boiled eggs, cheese, and yogurt. This was new for us when we went in July 2013. I had an egg, three pieces of cheese, and a banana every day. The coffee is still crummy though.
(Thanks to amamax2 for adding more pics of pool and breakfast on page 3!)

Last edited by PinkBudgie; 12-24-2013 at 11:11 AM. Reason: To add one more thing.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-14-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
benolathe
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the nice review. We stayed at the Candy Cane Inn once several years ago and also really enjoyed the stay. It is a nice, easy walk to DLR.
Disneyland (January 2004)
WDW (Dec 2009) [NYE was fabulous!]
Disneyland for CTMH Convention (July 2011)
benolathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
edit1
Mouseketeer

Thanks for your review and photos. I've never stayed at CCI but I always consider it every time I make a trip to Disneyland. Would still like to try it out one of these days.
edit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:25 PM   #5
spacemermaid
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing this! I've never stayed at the CCI myself but have thought about it, especially when seeing the CCI bus that seems to come by twice as often as the ART bus. Looks like it'll eventually have a pretty cool view of part of Carsland, from the picture you posted!

Lifelong Disney fan!
spacemermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:45 PM   #6
Cruisin
If you can't carry it, you don't need it
I keep on posting to things just so I can look at my tags
I love my Captain Mickey antenna topper!

Thank you for the great report.

One question? How did you get the AAA rate? It does not seem to recognize it when I try to get room rates online

Did you have to call direct for that?
Cruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:50 PM   #7
LuvindisCruiser
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the great CCI review.
It is one of my faves on Harbor. The rooms are nice and it has the best
cont. breakfast.
We usually pick a hotel at the crosswalk just because they are closer.
But, CCI is on the top of our list.

(DH) (ME, can't stay off DIS) (DD13) (DS13)Pixie
Our 10yr. old twins take on the World for Spring Break-2010
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2424485
LuvindisCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #8
Hound 109
So non-screamin' family members can pass the time enjoyably while the Hound gets his Screamin' fix in

Since this excellent review gets bumped from time to time, I figured I'd add my Shuttle comments. Good info for CCI patrons who are early morning types & plan to use the CCI's DEDICATED shuttle.

Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by Hound 109

I like the CCI alot.....& will offer a few of opinions regarding the shuttle:

- It's great. Runs dependably at the same time every half hour.

- My experience is that it runs 5 min. late. (Great if you're running to catch it), but if you're tapping your toes wanting it to take off, be advised.

- If you're a "get to the park early" semi-commando type (like me)....the first run to the park will leave the CCI at 7:35 for an 8am opening. (or 6:35 for a 7am MM opening). This doesn't work for the "want to be first at the turnstile" person.... since the security tent will open at :30. IMO it's best to leave by ten after & walk the 9 min. & get to the Security tent at :20 in the AM if your goal if to be near or at the front of the turnstile. (& it's a pleasant walk to start the day fyi).

- Also if you're an early bird, you'll likely take a mid day rest.....this is where the CCI is GREAT. Take the dedicated shuttle (with no crowds) back to the CCI at noon or in the early afternoon....& then again back to the parks (or DTD) for your early evening touring...again the little shuttle bus will be empty (just be aware of the departure times).

- If planning on riding the shuttle immediately after the fireworks (or at closing), expect a crowd (& possible waits). Like everything else at DLR, it's best to zig when all others are zagging.

When we stay at the CCI, we'll typically take the little dedicated shuttle 2 (or 3) times a day & walk one (or two) leg a day. The shuttle takes (at most) 5 min. to travel from the CCI to the "DLR drop off" & only 2-3 min. to make the return trip from the DLR drop off back to the CCI. (& fyi....from the DLR "drop off" it's a 1-2 min. stroll to Security & the turnstiles.)

Have a great time at the CCI & at Walt's Park.

Not for the faint of heart, but LOTS of info for the WDW Vet visiting for one or two days:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1975805

Last edited by Hound 109; 08-24-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Hound 109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:51 AM   #9
ols386
I want to live at Disney World!!

What a great thread!! Love the review and the photos!!
CBR October 2010, Polynesian December 2009, Wilderness Lodge September 2009, POFQ March 2009, DCL (Wonder) May 2008, Port Orleans Riverside January 2008, Contemporary Resort January 2007, Coronado Springs Resort January 2006, DCL (Wonder) February 2005, POP April 2004, Grand Floridian November 2003, Caribbean Beach Resort March 2002, DCL (Magic) March 2001, Various Visits During Past 15 Years
ols386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #10
momrek06
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OPShell Smuggler!
BEE FRAGMENTS??? I do NOT eat bees!!

This is a great thread!

Has anyone stayed at CCI recently? Its been a while since DH & I stayed there (Oct) because we just did not like all the "Carsland" noise. Has things quieted down on the construction of Carsland? TIA.

KAR

momrek06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:02 PM   #11
MrsWendy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
This is a great thread!

Has anyone stayed at CCI recently? Its been a while since DH & I stayed there (Oct) because we just did not like all the "Carsland" noise. Has things quieted down on the construction of Carsland? TIA.

I stayed there the past 5 days. I did not notice any noise at all from Carsland.
MrsWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:32 PM   #12
momrek06
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OPShell Smuggler!
BEE FRAGMENTS??? I do NOT eat bees!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsWendy View Post
I stayed there the past 5 days. I did not notice any noise at all from Carsland.
Awesome, thanks!

KAR

momrek06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #13
Mumtotwoprincesses
Earning My Ears

We are presently staying at the CCI. We are really enjoying it! We have a premium room and love that we can order our breakfast to be delivered to our room. It is fairly quiet at the back of the hotel and are my girls(4.5 and 7) really enjoy the pools although the main pool is a bit too cold! We had a nice complimentary basket of granola bars, popcorn and treats. We also get two complimentary water bottles in our room daily. We walk easily( I'm 20 weeks pregnant) and its about 10 minutes to the gate(we walk fast through!). All in all its been great and I will definitely book here again!
Mumtotwoprincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #14
PinkBudgie

OP here. I stayed here most recently this past November and booked another stay for this July. Ever since I posted that first review, we have returned to CCI for our DLR tirps. We always get two discounts- AAA and the return customer discount. Now that our boys are in college and we travel without them, we have been staying in the standard room and have found it a good size for two people. Or if you have smaller children.

We've been having better luck with our wi-fi so maybe that's improved, or maybe we've just had good locations. Coffee is still yucky to me, but DH drinks it. I have a cup from our own Keurig in the room before going down to breakfast. Every trip the staff has been wonderful and friendly.

Oh, last summer we were on the first floor and either the people above us were especially noisy (it sounded like they were having a suitcase tossing contest) or we were under a creaky spot. Or both! Never had that happen before, but now we call a few days before our trip and request a second floor room.

Oh, if anyone has pics of the premium room, feel free to post them in the thread and I will mention it on the first page. I know we'll never stay in that one so I won't have pics to post of it.

Last edited by PinkBudgie; 03-24-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:37 AM   #15
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZlady View Post
My last visit I upgraded to a premium room and had our breakfast delivered to us- that was well worth it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumtotwoprincesses View Post
We have a premium room and love that we can order our breakfast to be delivered to our room.
Glad to hear you think it was worth it - we've booked premium rooms because one of my DDs is terrible at getting going in the morning and I thought if breakfast is delivered it may speed her up a bit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBudgie View Post
Oh, if anyone has pics of the premium room, feel free to post them in the thread and I will mention it on the first page. I know we'll never stay in that one so I won't have pics to post of it.
We are going in August so if no one posts any in the meantime I'll post mine on our return.
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: